Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 14:18 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Yes it is :)

Unless I use a VPN to watch the US version, as netfix are a pain, and don't have the same content.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 16:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You're still watching it in the UK, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 16:50 

Well yes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 17:29 

My rule of thumb for this thread is that shows on one of the major UK broadcasters (the BBC, ITV, Cs 4 & 5 etc) go here. But I'm a hipster and think 405 line VHF is all you need.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 22:42 
Gogmagog

Yeah, episode three of Hawkeye was great.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
Yeah, episode three of Hawkeye was great.

I wasn't sure about it after the first episode, but it's really grown on me. However I stan for Stanfield, so I'm pretty biased...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:19 

I just thought it was made in the U.K: U.K. TV, made in the US: U.S TV, made anywhere else: goes in the foreign TV thread.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:02 

Mimi wrote:
I just thought it was made in the U.K: U.K. TV, made in the US: U.S TV, made anywhere else: goes in the foreign TV thread.

Could be :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:05 
Prince of Fops

Mimi wrote:

This was my understanding also. Otherwise I really should have made a thread for the TV I watched on my hols *checks notes* two years ago (sob)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 16:52 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:

:this:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 17:15 
Gogmagog

What about Game of Thrones?

That was American but filmed in UK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 17:28 

MaliA wrote:
What about Game of Thrones?

That was American but filmed in UK

It was filmed in numerous locations, but it’s an American production company (I think) so that’s where it is ‘made’.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 19:11 

We’ve watch d the new Aardman Animation, Robin Robin, on Netflix a couple of times. It’s cute! Only slightly spoiled by Gillian Anderson doing her Maggie Thatcher impression and singing. Richard E Grant as the magpie is brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:27 

Very clever timing to have a Mastermind round about the first Northern Irish prime minister on the centenary of the Anglo-Irish Treaty.

Also, first round five-pointer on Only Connect.
Giphy "hi-5":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/UP6AIoPuG4GEE/giphy-loop.mp4
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Songs added to film versions of musicals

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:47 

Russell got a five pointer on
the Pac-Man ghosts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:51 

Mimi wrote:
the Pac-Man ghosts

That was a great question!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:22 
Isn't that lovely?

Not seen yesterday's yet, my son chose to watch the football instead, we will probably watch it this evening before the quiz.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 13:25 

I've been binging Beat The Chasers recently - much better format than the main show IMO, and as soon as they open up applications for that I'll be sending one in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 23:01 
Isn't that lovely?

Kern wrote:
Mimi wrote:
the Pac-Man ghosts

That was a great question!

Three points from me here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 20:32 

Just watched 'Building Jerusalem' A great little documentary about England's run and winning the 2003 world cup. It has interviews with Jonny Wilkinson and Martin Johnson. I really enjoyed and you realise what a perfectionist Mr Wilkinson was.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:11 

A couple of targeted questions on Only Connect that I am convinced they added for my birthday

Animal Crossing 5 pointer and Isle Of Sheppey coming up in the missing letters

Always welcome the return of Christmas University Challenge where we get a break from the advanced rounds and it drops back to a level at which we can actively compete. I got loads yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:19 
Isn't that lovely?

Mimi wrote:
A couple of targeted questions on Only Connect that I am convinced they added for my birthday

Animal Crossing 5 pointer and Isle Of Sheppey coming up in the missing letters

When that round came up I thought of you, and thought you would have got a 5 pointer!

I was really annoyed not to get 5 points on the

Maths one, I got it in the end, but I was fixated on it being symbols on a PC keyboard for too long.

I did manage a 5 pointer though.

The Eddie Murphy films one

And was really close on the

second half of the word being an anagram of the first half, but I did need the second word, and got it just before they did

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:38 

Mimi wrote:
Animal Crossing 5 pointer

Me too! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 21:28 

Channel 4: The Abominable Snowbaby

I'm really not the target audience for this, but it was a charming tale that was just perfect for comforting Christmas viewing.

A surprise 1 on the Craster Scale, if animated lady monsters count

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 13:34 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mrs. W and I have been watching 'Rules of the Game' on the Beeb and in the opening scene I was sure there was something familiar about the office building where the action was taking place. Then I realised it's one of three buildings owned by Fujitsu at their Manchester Campus near the police HQ in which I used to run lots of courses. I also recognised the interiors, so they've filmed a lot of it both outside and inside. I'm guessing the cut backs that started before I left have continued and probably only one block is still being used by Fuji.

Attachment:
MAN33.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 16:03 

We've been watching Stay Close on Netflix. Loads of it filmed around here but they've taken well known landmarks from across the whole north and sort of munged them together into one place such that if you're familiar with the area then it's absolute gibberish. Apart from that the plot makes very little sense and tonally it's all over the shop. Don't know why we're even sticking with it really :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:05 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
We've been watching Stay Close on Netflix. Loads of it filmed around here but they've taken well known landmarks from across the whole north and sort of munged them together into one place such that if you're familiar with the area then it's absolute gibberish. Apart from that the plot makes very little sense and tonally it's all over the shop. Don't know why we're even sticking with it really :shrug:

Very similar experience here. Utter nonsense, but we saw it through, while wondering why we were doing so. I think it was peppy and pacy enough for me not to begrudge it the time.

The ersatz North they created was more distracting than helpful. Could never quite pin down how far her new life lies geographically from her old one, given the amount of back and forth between the two places.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:10 

Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:

Very similar experience here. Utter nonsense, but we saw it through, while wondering why we were doing so. I think it was peppy and pacy enough for me not to begrudge it the time.

The ersatz North they created was more distracting than helpful. Could never quite pin down how far her new life lies geographically from her old one, given the amount of back and forth between the two places.

Yeah, it seemed like she was living a new life under a new identity about two miles down the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:35 
Awesome
Yes

markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:

Yeah, it seemed like she was living a new life under a new identity about two miles down the road.

We've watched one episode and I've already said similar about how can she be living a new life not being discovered if she's able to be so close to all these old landmarks and visit them with ease.

I'm kind of not bothered about carrying on.

Just waiting for the final episode of Dexter New Blood to drop instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:37 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:

ha, exactly.

Speaking of the landmarks though - where is that big head statue? That was pretty cool.

Finally, if anyone hasn't seen it, No Offence is my pick of crime shows that can be tonally skittish, but actually brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:39 
Soopah red DS

Mr Russell wrote:
markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:

We've watched one episode and I've already said similar about how can she be living a new life not being discovered if she's able to be so close to all these old landmarks and visit them with ease.

Oh my. It is a good one. Didn't go where I thought it was going *at all*.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:53 
Best
Board Mother

JBR wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:

Oh my. It is a good one. Didn't go where I thought it was going *at all*.

:this:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:53 
Unpossible!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_(sculpture)

without seeing the programme, this one?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 17:56 
Best
Board Mother

DavPaz wrote:

I think you just broke the internet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 18:07 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:

that's the one!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 18:20 
Unpossible!

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I think you just broke the internet.

Nah, just Wikipedia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 18:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Funnily enough, I drove past this statue on Thursday just as the person I was with was talking about a TV programme he was watching which must be this one!

He had no idea it was there so it was quite a strange coincidence.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 13:00 

BBC: Around the World in Eighty Days

Doctor Who goes on holiday.

I don't care that other than a few names and a deadline it's nothing like the book. I found it very formulaic, and was able to see the direction of each episode from the start, but didn't really care as the chemistry between the main cast was very engaging and endearing. It's pap, but the best kind of pap.

I've always loved the novel and now I'm thinking about travel again I might just re-read it, if only to remind myself of the original Fogg's stoicism.

My big issue with this series is that I never got any sense of jeopardy. Going around the world in 80 days has a natural tension which any production should exploit. Indeed, this is why Palin's first travel documentary is so much more compelling than his later ones because of the fixed deadline and the ticking away of the days. With this version, I never felt he wasn't going to make it, and even the clever-clever technique of incorporating the current day into the scene didn't make me feel anything other than admiration for the effect.

Richard Wilson gives as good an explanation of why Fogg has got the day wrong as can be done with the source material. It's always the weakest part of the novel for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:17 
Isn't that lovely?

Anyone watch Trigger Point last night?

I was really underwhelmed by it.

I think

that it would be more surprising if they hadn't have killed off the biggest name in the first episode! And also, what the hell was Fleming (I know, I know) doing touching the light switch? Unless she turns out to be a baddie and she was deliberately trying to blow her partner's hands off, it was just stupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 14:11 

Kern wrote:
BBC: Around the World in Eighty Days

Doctor Who goes on holiday.

I don't care that other than a few names and a deadline it's nothing like the book. I found it very formulaic, and was able to see the direction of each episode from the start, but didn't really care as the chemistry between the main cast was very engaging and endearing. It's pap, but the best kind of pap.

I've always loved the novel and now I'm thinking about travel again I might just re-read it, if only to remind myself of the original Fogg's stoicism.

My big issue with this series is that I never got any sense of jeopardy. Going around the world in 80 days has a natural tension which any production should exploit. Indeed, this is why Palin's first travel documentary is so much more compelling than his later ones because of the fixed deadline and the ticking away of the days. With this version, I never felt he wasn't going to make it, and even the clever-clever technique of incorporating the current day into the scene didn't make me feel anything other than admiration for the effect.

Richard Wilson gives as good an explanation of why Fogg has got the day wrong as can be done with the source material. It's always the weakest part of the novel for me.

I think the series got better and I loved the last episode last night.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:52 

KovacsC wrote:
I think the series got better and I loved the last episode last night.

Yes, despite my gripes I did enjoy the final episode. His takedown of the villain at the end was superb.
"Here's the money to cover your bankruptcy".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:54 

BBC 3 returns as a linear channel tonight, which means I'm going to reorganise my carefully crafted channel list. Probably the last time I'll have to do this, as much of my viewing is over Iplayer now unless there's something specific I want to watch and I'm around at the right time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:22 
Awesome
Yes

Kern wrote:
BBC 3 returns as a linear channel tonight, which means I'm going to reorganise my carefully crafted channel list. Probably the last time I'll have to do this, as much of my viewing is over Iplayer now unless there's something specific I want to watch and I'm around at the right time.

Ooh, that should mean Drag Race UK Vs the World is on!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:08 

BBC 2:Mary Beard's Forbidden Art*

Enjoyable and surprisingly graphic discussion about what constitutes good taste and how attitudes change over the years. I particularly liked the discussions about the relationship controversial or taboo subjects have with their audience, and whether we are merely spectators or participants.

Some bits do make for uncomfortable and disturbing viewing, but that's the point.

Breaks the Craster scale.

* NB: not forbidden art by Mary Beard, although I'd be fascinated to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:15 

The Great Pottery Throw Down, Christine's Sculpture was amazing, brought tears to my eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 13:28 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Malc wrote:

I think

that it would be more surprising if they hadn't have killed off the biggest name in the first episode! And also, what the hell was Fleming (I know, I know) doing touching the light switch? Unless she turns out to be a baddie and she was deliberately trying to blow her partner's hands off, it was just stupid

Only watched episode 1 so far. Haven't decided whether to try ep 2 yet. We'll probably give it a go if we win out of other stuff we want to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 13:45 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Chloe on the Beeb, ep 1. We hadn't seen any trailers for this (or else we'd seen them and they hadn't registered with us) but as it's supposedly getting good reviews, we had a look. Couldn't work out what was going on for quite a while, which might be what's supposed to happen to draw us in. Comments on Twitter indicate we're not the only ones struggling with it. We may stick with it, I just hope it doesn't have a stupid/annoying conclusion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 14:44 
Isn't that lovely?

Warhead wrote:
Malc wrote:

I think

Only watched episode 1 so far. Haven't decided whether to try ep 2 yet. We'll probably give it a go if we win out of other stuff we want to watch.

I now find myself hooked buy it. It's a bit cheesy but the story is compelling enough to overcome that.

I also find myself playing spot the comedian play a supporting role.

So far I've spotted 5 (by a loose definition of comedian)

Adrian Lester
The Actor Kevin Eldon
Ralph Ineson
Kerry Godliman
Pippa Haywood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 15:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm not impressed by Trigger Point. At least with Line Of Duty, the procedural stuff felt like it could kinda be real and had some internal logic. With TP everyone just seems to make absolutley ludicrous decisions all the time, with no basis in reality.
Supposedly they consulted with real bomb disposal folks, which if they do what they do in the show in real life, i'm surprised they could find any that hadn't been blown up already.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 16:46 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

My nephew is in a bomb-disposal-adjacent unit in the army. As far as I can work out, they spend most of their time sitting in huts playing on their XBox, and occasionally get sent somewhere impractical for a random training course.

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next