Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:56 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I love Brooklyn Nine-Nine but the first two episodes of this new series felt like a different show altogether, a really sharp turn or drop-off.

I admire that they are trying to acknowledge current affairs but boy did it feel different, and I'm sure it's a tricky tightrope to walk but I just didn't find much of it funny.

I liked them, but I'm with you - that they're cautiously making their way through how things are now is reflected on screen. Still a pleasure to have the characters back. The Rookie and SWAT have both tried to include the subject, too, so I guess everyone with a police show has had quite a moment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I felt B99 just got it wrong. I don't know what their options were tbh, cancelling the show might have been a more realistic choice.

SWAT went max cringe, but then it generally always does. The early pandemic episodes were just godawful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:15 
Can you dig it?

It felt like such a sharp sharp drop, very suddenly going from something I was really enjoying to something that I barely cared for. I felt very similar with Archer too, when it took the big turn it just lost me completely.

I just hope there’s one more funny Doug Judy episode in this last B99 series. Or maybe some with Hitchcock and Scully again somehow - those two were feeling a bit like the breakout for me in the last few series when they were given some more screen time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:37 
Soopah red DS

Cras wrote:
I felt B99 just got it wrong. I don't know what their options were tbh, cancelling the show might have been a more realistic choice.

SWAT went max cringe, but then it generally always does. The early pandemic episodes were just godawful.

"What, because of... - the virus?!?" Even the lines (and their delivery) referring to the pandemic seemed tentative, as if they'd never really decided if they should or not. They sort of realised their mistake, and dropped mentions and masks, but that also seemed odd, given the earlier lip service. Still, I'm never watching it for the dialogue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 15:42 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
I’ve watched all of Final Space. My review is:

Season 1: great stuff, just brilliant.

Season 2: meandering dull quests to find some thingys where death is meaningless that didn’t hold half of the appeal as season 1. Probably a few episodes too long an’ all.

Final final space

https://youtu.be/bFg3ljZF2kA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 21:19 
Decapodian

This week’s Ted Lasso is some of the best tv ever.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 21:55 
Prince of Fops

I'm really looking forward to watching the new series of Ted lasso. Decided to prep myself last night starting from the beginning with my father in law. He wasn't fussed so not sure how far we will get. But fuck me, it only took one episode to have that fucking theme tune stuck in my head again. An awful piece of music but utterly impossible to dislodge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 20:14 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Babylon 5 is being rebooted with JMS running it

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235021237/

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/ ... 9221043202

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:14 
Isn't that lovely?

I thought I'd seen something on this, but I couldn't find anything. But four hours at the capitol was heart breaking. And i think many Tory voters are as delusional, and may end up doing the same thing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 18:03 

Malc wrote:
I thought I'd seen something on this, but I couldn't find anything. But four hours at the capitol was heart breaking. And i think many Tory voters are as delusional, and may end up doing the same thing

It was on BBC2 so I claimed it for God and country.

Yes, it was a very terrifying documentary. I agree about the risk to the delusioned, and fear we are already on that path, because people won't say Brexit isn't a disaster due to Brexit itself being a shit idea, but because it just wasn't done right. I see this with Johnson's attacks on May's deal (which, by the way, was pretty bad on its own terms and ought to have been ditched), and sense that Johnson's own downfall will be down to "selling out" rather than being even worse.

As with all cults, it's the converts who are the worst. If you became aware that everything you thought you knew was wrong, and that the world is governed by secret giant space bears and those who worship them, wouldn't you want to spread this news to everyone you knew, and try to end this ursine tyranny? You can't reason someone out of something they didn't reason themselves into, after all..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 16:53 
Bad Girl

Apple TV “EXCLUSIVE” big premier show ultimate edition that’s being advertised a lot:

INVASION!

What a title! Aliens, probably!?

Episode 1: nothing happens. No invasion. The best thing about the whole episode is that it’s directed like an M&S advert. If anyone watches it, be amazed by how loud the woman eating the celery is.

Episode 2: nothing happens. Still no invasion. BUT there’s marines who shoot a thing because, well, if you’ve got guns and see something you don’t recognise then just shoot it, m’Kay.

Episode 3: less than nothing happens. Still no invasion. Some English kids do Lord of the Flies in a quarry which is, apparently, TV that people want to watch.

Episode 4: COMING SOON! I CANT WAIT, AMAZING, THRILLING, ETC!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 18:15 
Decapodian

I’m enjoying it more than you appear to be. It’s not very fast paced though.

Similarly, Foundation looks stunning, but is also a bit slow and hard to follow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 18:21 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm finding Foundation a bit of a dull slog, I must admit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 18:45 
Soopah red DS

I've only seen the first two, but agree totally with Sat's view of Invasion. The dialogue! Bloody hell. Maybe they'll find a writer who has been around people some time. Or maybe we've all just forgotten.

Also with the Foundation a dull slog vibe, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 21:48 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
Apple TV “EXCLUSIVE” big premier show ultimate edition that’s being advertised a lot:

INVASION!

What a title! Aliens, probably!?

Episode 1: nothing happens. No invasion. The best thing about the whole episode is that it’s directed like an M&S advert. If anyone watches it, be amazed by how loud the woman eating the celery is.

Episode 2: nothing happens. Still no invasion. BUT there’s marines who shoot a thing because, well, if you’ve got guns and see something you don’t recognise then just shoot it, m’Kay.

Episode 3: less than nothing happens. Still no invasion. Some English kids do Lord of the Flies in a quarry which is, apparently, TV that people want to watch.

Episode 4: COMING SOON! I CANT WAIT, AMAZING, THRILLING, ETC!

Episode 4: Less than fuck all happens. Still no invasion. The “highlights” are: a kid runs away; the Japanese hear a gurgle on a radio; kids climb out a quarry and a solider finds his buddy in a hospital. The latter reveals a tiny tiny glimpse (less than a second) of an alien which looks like they're gearing up for the reveal to be … another CGI black blob.

I’m not saying this is terrible but it’s pretty fucking terrible. Zero tension whatsoever. And, urgh, some of the worst child actors.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 21:56 
Decapodian

And yet I’m still enjoying it.

What I’d prefer though, is a really good modern version of V, unlike the tat we got ten years back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 23:41 
Sitting balls-back folder

zaphod79 wrote:
Babylon 5 is being rebooted with JMS running it

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235021237/

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/ ... 9221043202

What they should be hip deep in is rebuilding all the models and sets in modern tools and training the AI to deepfake the original cast in* and just rereleasing the original 4 seasons**. It's not like the painfully spelled out messaging has got LESS relevant in the last 20 years.

* And training that guy how to pronounce serotonin.
** 4! And it's a shame the TV movies and spinoffs never arrived too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 0:06 
Sitting balls-back folder

Inside Job is something I hope gets more chance.

We've started The Orville now - I have it in my head it's one of those "takes a few episodes to settle in" things? Not that after 3 episodes we're already looking for something else, it's just that "star Trek but with divorce jokes" seems an odd thing to have been green lit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 23:44 
Can you dig it?

I gave up on The Orville after 2 (maybe 3, I forget) episodes. It wasn't bad but it just really didn't grab my attention.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 0:00 
Can you dig it?

Black Summer is so, so shit. The way that the episodes are broken into smaller segments with 'header' titles was neat at first, and it seemed cool when the separate parts started to come together or be shown from a different perspective.... at first..... but after a few episodes it became jarring and irritating. The final episode in S1 where everyone gets assault rifles and goes on a rampage is rubbish.

Very poor acting, and a lot of it just doesn't really make much sense. On the plus side, it was quite tense in places.

Something that we are watching and enjoying, again a bit late to it, is Schitt's Creek. It's good, light hearted, viewing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 17:12 
Bad Girl

Season 1 of Ted Lasso is watched.

Overall, very enjoyable; somewhat predictable, but with characters you can’t be help enjoy watching. It really helps that the dialogue isn’t fucking terrible and is, for the most part, really well written. There’s more than a few duff lines (especially as the series rolls on) but only because they stick out like a sore thumb amongst some excellent scripts.

Oh and I see Tom Hanks is filming some other thing for Apple about him and a dog and a robot which looks great but could also be fucking terribly drawn out into hour long episodes where fuck all happens like shitty invasion. Here’s hoping aye?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 19:07 
Bad Girl

The latest episode of INVASION has aliens in it!!!

It’s probably the worst episode yet. The “acting” is astonishingly terrible, seriously, it’s horrendously bad, for a multibazillion dollar show from the biggest corporation on the planet.

Artificial tension between characters who are supposed to be being quiet? Annoying. Stealthing around a house from an alien dog? Yawnsome. Shouting at each other when there’s an alien about? Why not. Annoying kids that won’t stop crying? Of course. Doing this one thing everyone is telling you not to do? Natch. This woman being dragged through a ceiling? Hilarious in that it’s hilariously slow with characters undecided whether anything is actually happening below the ceiling. Screaming at a dead alien? Yeah yeah.

I swear, the whole programme is filmed like it’s a masterpiece of an epic but there’s no tension here. At all. I couldn’t give two fucks. It’s failing to generate any tension because it’s all been done before. And better. Not only has an alien invasion been done better but the moment to moment things are damn near fucking cliches by now. I swear the whole episode was like a cut and paste from other films and programmes where people have been sneaking around a house from something bad.

What an absolute fuck up this is.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:46 
Decapodian

In a stunning bit of stupidity, Star Trek Discovery has been pulled from Netflix in the UK, 48 hours before season 4 premiers.

It will only be available on the Paramount streaming service which doesn’t launch here until next year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:41 
Isn't that lovely?

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
In a stunning bit of stupidity, Star Trek Discovery has been pulled from Netflix in the UK, 48 hours before season 4 premiers.

It will only be available on the Paramount streaming service which doesn’t launch here until next year.

Oh FFS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

It will only be available on Piratebay from now on.

FTFY.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:17 
Decapodian

Indeed. I’m also concerned that they will remove the rest of the Trek shows from Netflix as well.

I assume that Lower Decks and Picard will also be at risk of leaving Amazon, and Strange New Worlds will go straight to Paramount (or as The Vision pointed out, the high seas).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 14:35 
ugvm'er at heart...

Peacock has landed on Sky, which is NBCUniversal's streaming service
https://www.androidauthority.com/what-i ... k-1030392/

Not a huge amount on it, but it does have Friday Night Lights and House, which I might rewatch... again...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 17:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Clear eyes, full hearts...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 18:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Clear eyes, full hearts...

New shoes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 19:07 

Spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch…?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:39 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Just finished The Orville, I thought it was well done as a parallel Star Trek.. Shame they only made 2 seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 
Unpossible!

KovacsC wrote:
Just finished The Orville, I thought it was well done as a parallel Star Trek.. Shame they only made 2 seasons.

HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU

https://orville.fandom.com/wiki/The_Orville/Season_3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:26 

DavPaz wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU

https://orville.fandom.com/wiki/The_Orville/Season_3

That is great news. Now to find something else to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:27 
Gogmagog

Riverdale.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:06 
Decapodian

I see series 6 of riverdale started

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:14 
Unpossible!

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I see series 6 of riverdale started

Don't encourage him

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:15 

I will plump for Agent Carter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:26 

KovacsC wrote:

First time I've heard it called that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:28 

he he

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 13:37 
Excellent Painter

Dopesick is riveting, compelling and enraging. Highly recommended. Disney+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 13:39 
Excellent Painter

KovacsC wrote:

I enjoyed it. It’s a bit silly in the second series, but I still wanted more of it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 14:13 
Unpossible!

I didn't enjoy the second season at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 15:22 
Isn't that lovely?

DavPaz wrote:

Yeah, my son and I stopped watching after a few episodes of season 2.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 13:38 

DavPaz wrote:

It is not that good, and not getting better. 3 episodes to go?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 13:45 
Unpossible!

No idea. I gave up after maybe.... 3 episodes of season 2. Which was disappointing as I really enjoyed the first.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 14:24 
Gogmagog

Inside Job on Netflix is laugh out loud funny.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 15:36 
Soopah red DS

MaliA wrote:
Inside Job on Netflix is laugh out loud funny.

I just started that last night, thought it had promise. Now it will all be on you if it disappoints from here. On you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 22:39 
Isn't that lovely?

Anyone else watching "Wheel of Time"?

It's on Amazon Prime, they've released three episodes of it today, and then I think one a week going forward.

My brother had the books, which I read most of them as a teenager/early 20s, and I can't really remember much, but I do like a good fantasy story.

So far, it seems alright, if a little on the cheap side.

I think I prefer last year's "Cursed" (on Netflix) at the moment, but we'll see how it develops.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 22:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I haven't watched it yet, but based on the trailers.. I think I'd like to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 23:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm a huge fan of the books.

Episode 1, not sure about it. 2 and 3, thoroughly enjoyed! It's not going to win any awards and it's a bit The CW does GoT, but I was pleasantly surprised.
They have made a couple of significant changes from the books, which is interesting.

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 174  Next