Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 21:51 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Grim... wrote:
I think you mean the Nokia N95.

:this:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 23:54 
Soopah red DS

The Courier: knowing this is based on real events (I did not: this guy here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greville_Wynne) helps, as it explains the turn to "oh, well, it's going to just be *this* story, and a bit of a lack of drama as a result - stick with truth and you just can't get the same tension. It's nicely done, though, and Cummerbund is vg.

Zola: luminescent. A bit strange, but incredible. The performances, four main ones I'd say, are extraordinarily good, though if those particular US accents don't do it for you, you might be very annoyed. I thought it was fabulous, and I think the rest of the audience did too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 14:51 
Prince of Fops

Watched the Hubble 3D movie at the Science Museum IMAX yesterday. Absolutely spell-binding and mind-blowing in equal measure.

Leonardo DiCapricorn's VO is only occasionally distracting.

The whole thing makes this whole universe palaver slightly less unfathomable but also wholly more unfathomable. Travelling between galaxies in the film and through the nebula, as captured by the Hubble, is mind-bending.

Well worth 45 minutes of your time and the 3D aspect is used brilliantly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:37 
Soopah red DS

People Just do Nothing: Big in Japan. Never seen the comedy, still enjoyed this, so I imagine fans would have a great time. Farce with a sweet heart.

Reminiscence: Aims for detective noir and sometimes hits. An apocalyptic background just for the sake of the background, and so I could feel clever having noticed the hints, before they just explained the whole thing anyway. I laughed at some of what I think was supposed to be portentous and meaningful dialogue. One outstanding action scene, another that's pretty good. With hindsight, I think someone other than Huge Ackman would have been better.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 18:50 

All The President's Men: Have had this on my watch-list for ages but a nudging from my brother over the weekend made me sit down yesterday and finally watch it.

A great movie, not particularly exciting, but thrilling in its own way and really goes out of its way to show what proper journalism was like - sometimes it feels like most journalists today are happy to just grab a couple of quotes from the twitters and call it a day, but Woodward and Bernstein (Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman respectively) really gave everything they had to bring the story of the Watergate scandal into the public conscious. I'm sure they weren't entirely altruistic about it, of course, but still.

My only criticism of the film is that it ends very abruptly because of a stylistic choice in the way they get across the ramifications of the scandal becoming public - it kinda works, but just kinda made me think "oh, that's that then."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 0:00 
Soopah red DS

Pig. Can it really live up to the hype? How can Nicholas Cage living with a pig and then things happening be any good? But it is, very good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 15:12 
Excellent Painter

GazChap wrote:
All The President's Men: Have had this on my watch-list for ages but a nudging from my brother over the weekend made me sit down yesterday and finally watch it.

A great movie, not particularly exciting, but thrilling in its own way and really goes out of its way to show what proper journalism was like - sometimes it feels like most journalists today are happy to just grab a couple of quotes from the twitters and call it a day, but Woodward and Bernstein (Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman respectively) really gave everything they had to bring the story of the Watergate scandal into the public conscious. I'm sure they weren't entirely altruistic about it, of course, but still.

My only criticism of the film is that it ends very abruptly because of a stylistic choice in the way they get across the ramifications of the scandal becoming public - it kinda works, but just kinda made me think "oh, that's that then."

If you haven’t seen The Post, it’s a great companion to this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 15:27 
Isn't that lovely?

Blood Red Sky

A German language (with some English) film about a reluctant vampire travelling from Germany to the USA via airplane in an attempt to be cured.

The flight doesn't go as smoothly as the vampire hoped.

Its on Netflix, and I really enjoyed it, it's an interesting take on Vampires, I thought it was well acted (Dominic Purcell is in it - from Prison Break and The Flash/Legends of Tomorrow - but even he is okay) and written, and maybe a little cheap on the special effects, but I don't think it suffered as a result of it.

Well worth a watch if you like that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 15:28 
Isn't that lovely?

Oh, I wouldn't watch the trawler, slightly too spoilery imo (as seems to be way with Netflix)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 17:44 

DBSnappa wrote:
If you haven’t seen The Post, it’s a great companion to this.

I have indeed seen The Post and yes, it is superb.

It absolutely boggles my mind that we live in a time when scandals come out seemingly every month that are just as bad, if not worse than Watergate/the Pentagon Papers (such as ol' Donny basically spearheading a literal coup attempt on the Capitol) but there never seem to be any serious repercussions for those involved any more.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:35 
Can you dig it?

Has anyone seen the People Just Do Nothing film (Big in Japan)?

Ive been rewatching the tv show and series 1-3 are just gold, so I'm kind of excited for the film but there's no release date for out here yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:57 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Has anyone seen the People Just Do Nothing film (Big in Japan)?

Ive been rewatching the tv show and series 1-3 are just gold, so I'm kind of excited for the film but there's no release date for out here yet.

Dude. It's on THE SAME PAGE. Yes; I enjoyed it and haven't even seen the TV show. Cast interviewed on (not)Kermode & Mayo this weekend and they were great on that - just effortless at the roles they're playing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:53 
Can you dig it?

Ahhhhh, oops! I totally missed that.

Good to hear that you enjoyed it although i am curious to why picked that if you’d never seen the show.

They do seem like a fun bunch both in and out of character.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:35 
Soopah red DS

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Ahhhhh, oops! I totally missed that.

Good to hear that you enjoyed it although i am curious to why picked that if you’d never seen the show.

They do seem like a fun bunch both in and out of character.

I've an Odeon Limitless membership, so have seen lots of films and lots of trailers, and the trailer for that looked great (and didn't get dull on repeated viewing). Plus here in NI it was a quiet showing. Ticked all my boxes!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:11 
Soopah red DS

Candyman. The Candyman *can* - be reimagined as having something to say about racial injustice. I don't remember the original well enough to pick up on the homage paid, which I'm sure is plentiful. Vanessa Williams is back as mother, but I had to check afterwards that she could really be that old - testament to my age changing my perspective, perhaps, but also, she looks fantastic. Left me watching the credits (which use a paper cut-out puppet animation to add more to the subject), slightly spaced out and feeling that, as ever, I really haven't sorted out my feelings about this.

Herself. Screen unseen. A woman leaves her abusive partner, solving one problem and unleashing a whole lot more. Harrowing in parts, lovely in others. The kids are particularly great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:34 
Unpossible!

I don't remember much about the OG Candyman apart from Virginia Madsen in the bath :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 23:48 
Soopah red DS

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings. Starts quiet and backgroundy, then bursts into very cool action. Maybe a bit baggy in the middle, and the end is sort of standard, but I really loved it. I say no more, I spoil nothing.

The Champion of Auschwitz. Polish Sports Drama, with occasionally odd subtitles (slight mistranslations, I think). It's a graphic and harrowing portrayal of Auschwitz, which kept returning to the horror whenever I thought it was just going to put the boxing (inmate fights others) at the forefront. I wasn't sure where they could go with it - full schmaltz or token "this was good, but yeah, it was horrible" seemed the only way out, but this story based in reality does a really neat trick of pulling a bit of heart out of horror.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:15 

Mystic River: Not the first time I’ve watched this but I’d seen it referenced in a YouTube video recently and felt like another watch.

Excellent movie, about 3 guys who used to be tightly knit as kids and grew apart, thanks to something that happens to one of them as a kid.

Tim Robbins plays the adult version of said kid, and (as ever) is solidly convincing as a guy that’s not quite right. The two other kids grow up to be a homicide detective, ably played by Kevin Bacon, and a small-time gangster who runs a corner shop played by Sean Penn.

A family tragedy with Penn’s character brings all 3 back together and thus the movie becomes a fine example of a detective thriller.

I loved this movie first time around, and even though I couldn’t remember a great deal, second time round was just as good. Penn is phenomenal, as is Robbins. Bacon isn’t given quite as much to do but is still on form, and the various supporting characters all bring solid performances too.

7/10.

We then watched Cop Car - a 2015 movie about two kids that find a seemingly abandoned cop car and take it for a joyride. This stars Kevin Bacon as the owner of said car, who (for reasons that I won’t spoil) is desperate to get it back.

The two kids, played by two kid actors I’d never heard of and can’t remember the names of, are amazing. There’s a genuine sense of child-like adventure and mischievousness to their behaviour, and there’s a few scenes where the movie grips you by the feels as you wonder if the kids are gonna be alright by the end.

Just under 90 minutes long, with 5 on-screen characters (1 of which is barely seen at all) and some beautiful shots, this is a tightly paced film that kept me on the edge of my seat - it reminds me of Spielberg’s Duel in that respect, although Duel is done much better.

Also 7/10.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 0:39 
Soopah red DS

Annette. Very odd. I enjoyed it - maybe I should say I enjoyed it periodically. Music and ideas by Sparks, and their sense of humour is intact - the opening number made me grin all through. At times it felt like someone with the keys to the film toy box and boy, are they going to use them. Brilliant in parts, if you can just go with it and accept it is going to do odd things. Especially the end. Though if you go to watch it and I've suggested the end is the oddest thing, and no one has told you that the kid is a puppet and everyone else is real, then you'll be very surprised.

The Nest. Spooky family drama, set in the 80s (so some gratuitous smoking and 80s music), with Jude Law though really Carrie Coon, playing his wife, is the star. You can watch it as a family drama, or it's a really spooky story with an old house in it, and I don't know that if you believe one version, anyone could convince you of the other. It does not tie things up in a bow at the end, but the ending was satisfying for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:09 
Can you dig it?

The Internship relies heavily on the Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson fast-talking schtick, but as I haven't seen one of these types of film for a while it was a refreshing change. A couple of laughs, some jarringly over-positive portrayal of Google, and a touch of Will Ferrell. Rose Byrne is very very pretty.

Overall a reasonable watch, but also quite forgettable.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 19:20 
Sitting balls-back folder

It... might be good?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 22:10 
Decapodian

KovacsC wrote:
Malc wrote:
The matrix really stands up to modern scrutiny doesn't it?

Re-watched it for the first time in ages, other than the sfx, and the phones. It could be have been released last year.

I used to have that Nokia phone. It was terrible and kept breaking.

The one that they sold was the 7110 which did have a fairly high failure rate.
The one in the film was a modded 8110.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 20:23 
Gogmagog

Space Jam A New Legacy is laugh out loud funny and far better than I could ever have expected it to be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 22:44 
Gogmagog

I have seen Road House for the first time ever.

The monster truck made everything better.

And Sonic trying to pin a murder on his sidekick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:01 
Can you dig it?

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Malc wrote:
The matrix really stands up to modern scrutiny doesn't it?

Re-watched it for the first time in ages, other than the sfx, and the phones. It could be have been released last year.

I used to have that Nokia phone. It was terrible and kept breaking.

The one that they sold was the 7110 which did have a fairly high failure rate.
The one in the film was a modded 8110.

7110 was one of my favourite phones ever. I loved mine, and I still regret smashing it up when I was having a fit of FURIOUS ANGER.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:43 
Master of dodgy spelling....

JBR wrote:
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the 10 Rings. Starts quiet and backgroundy, then bursts into very cool action. Maybe a bit baggy in the middle, and the end is sort of standard, but I really loved it. I say no more, I spoil nothing.

This sums it up. Me and Mini-Kov loved it. Some proper laugh out loud moments. The action was fabulous. Wong is still my fav sorcerer :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:59 
Hello Hello Hello

I'll start posting these here again since I'm still writing them anyway.

----------------

Last night's film was 'WORTH' which has recently turned up on Netflix. Starring Michael Keaton, Stanley Tucci and Amy Ryan (Holly out of The Office), it tells the true story of the September 11 Victim Compensation Fund, and specifically the appointment of Ken Feinberg (Keaton) as the Special Master of the fund, with Camille Biros (Ryan) as his deputy, also added into the mix is Charles Wolf (Tucci), who lost his wife in the attacks and is offended by what he sees as the callous nature of the fund's formula, leading him to start a protest group.

The main story/arc of the film is that of Ken Feinberg, a decent man who genuinely wants to do what he sees as his service to help his country and the victims in their time of need, but he approaches it with the analytical mind of an attorney, producing a formula to evaluate the worth of each life, and not giving due consideration the personal stories of tragedy behind each loss. His early confidence that he will succeed in achieving his target of 80% of victim sign-ups (this is required to mitigate the risk of economy-crippling lawsuits) is soon knocked when he fails terribly, as Wolf's protest group gains more and more momentum.

Will Feinberg be able to grow and learn enough to change his approach to how the fund operates, and get his 80% of sign ups before the deadline, or will he fail and leave the victims at the mercy of years of expensive litigation with the airlines?

This is a fine film that somehow never quite soars, the performances are universally excellent (I'm a massive fan of both Keaton and Tucci), it's well written, solidly directed, respectful and moving, but I couldn't help feel that it should be more emotionally wrenching than it is.

It's perhaps a little too dry and too much like a procedural to really get under the skin like it should, although maybe that is sort of the point as the journey of the film is that of Feinberg from a policy/numbers driven man to someone who needs to connect on a more human and empathetic level with the victims.

Certainly recommended and very much worth a watch, but not everything it could have been - 661/1000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 20:36 
Excellent Painter

No Time To Die

Much better than I thought it would be. It’s very long, but doesn’t feel it.
Yes, the criticisms about the narrative skipping through the Craig era of the cannon and box checking are true, and yes the criticism of Rami Malek’s character and motivations being poorly fleshed out are true.
Having said that, the main thrust of the film, which I was entirely invested in, is Bond’s journey. He’s far more human in this and the film is the better for it.
It has the requisite spectacle and humour, which is done very well, but it also has a level of pathos about mistakes, loves lost and redundancies of agency which are all touched upon in such a fashion to keep you along for the ride in a fashion Bond movies rarely do.

I enjoyed it a lot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 16:55 

DBSnappa wrote:
No Time To Die

Much better than I thought it would be. It’s very long, but doesn’t feel it.
Yes, the criticisms about the narrative skipping through the Craig era of the cannon and box checking are true, and yes the criticism of Rami Malek’s character and motivations being poorly fleshed out are true.
Having said that, the main thrust of the film, which I was entirely invested in, is Bond’s journey. He’s far more human in this and the film is the better for it.
It has the requisite spectacle and humour, which is done very well, but it also has a level of pathos about mistakes, loves lost and redundancies of agency which are all touched upon in such a fashion to keep you along for the ride in a fashion Bond movies rarely do.

I enjoyed it a lot

That is a really good summary. I really enjoyed it.

Bonds journey was done really well.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 22:07 

The Green Knight (available on Prime)

Always read the small print.

A trippy take on the classic legend, with Dev Patel as Gawain carrying most of it on his shoulders. I loved the soundtrack that accompanies the visuals as he goes on his quest, and the final showdown is just the right side of the tense/camp line. I just felt it needed a lot of trimming, as it's over 2 hours and we probably didn't need so many tracking shots of the wilderness or strange angles

The highpoint is Barry Keoghan's scavenger who Gawain meets at a recently destroyed village. The low point is
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
the cum shot. Seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 23:17 
Isn't that lovely?

I watched this (The Green Knight) yesterday, and it wasn't what I was expecting, and I'd already been warned not to expect an action packed adventure.

I really enjoyed it, it really was beautiful, and I had 2001: A space Odyssey vibes about it (but fantasy rather than sci-fi horror).

I think 25 years ago I would have loved it, but present day me wanted it to get up to speed a bit quicker.

However,

The final half hour really spoke to me about doing what's right despite it being hard, despite the easy way seeming to be paved with gold. I found it very moving, and symbolic of today.

I also thought that Dev Patel playing the lead, but all paintings and puppets being white was an interesting swipe at whitewashing history.

A very solid six (my scoring system is harsh, and 6 is a decent score)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 23:41 
Soopah red DS

I also watched this (TGK) tonight, and endorse these messages.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:55 

Malc wrote:
The final half hour really spoke to me about doing what's right despite it being hard, despite the easy way seeming to be paved with gold. I found it very moving, and symbolic of today.

I liked how each episode was a different kind of chivalric test, connecting with the story's idea of "honour".
The ambiguous ending works really well, and probably the only way to end it as Gawain finally passes the final test.

Agree about the visuals. Along with the score it must be amazing on a full cinema screen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 13:12 

Free Guy isn't great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 13:45 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Counterpoint:

Free guy is great

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 13:52 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I agree with Wookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 14:10 

Cras wrote:
I agree with Wookie

I agree with Wookie but not Cras

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 14:37 
Unpossible!

I'm Spartacus and so is my wife!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 16:14 
ugvm'er at heart...

Free guy was ok, but it's no space jam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 18:29 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Free guy was ok, but it's no space jam

I agree with Trooper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 19:01 
Hello Hello Hello

I did a short review of Free Guy, but the TL:DR is that it's lovely.

-----------------

Last night's film was 'FREE GUY', the new film starring Ryan Reynolds. And get this for a pitch, what if an NPC in a GTA style world gained sentience and didn't do what he's scripted to do, but also didn't understand that he was just a character in a game? What if two coders in the real world were going into the game world to try and prove that their code had been stolen by the evil 'Activision' boss, and were able to interact with the NPC who wasn't doing what he was supposed to do?

That's basically the setup for Free Guy and it does a really good job with it. It's funny, action packed, intelligent, self-aware, charming, has a big heart and is gorgeously sweet without ever being saccharine.

The cast are all great with Reynolds being his usual likeable self, there are several genuine LOL moments, and because a lot of the film is actually set in a video game, the fact much of it is CGI is entirely fine. (The CGI is, incidentally, excellent.)

Cert wise it's a PG-13 in the States and a 12A in the UK, so suitable for all the family. I think steering away from the 18-cert trappings of actual GTA games is a smart move, and the film is never nasty or brutal.

I only have a couple of complaints, at nearly two hours long it could probably have done with losing around 10-15 minutes in the edit suite (there are a few scenes that don't need to be in there), and it's not the most original idea, with vibes of The Truman Show, Groundhog Day and others. The villain isn't wildly effective but he does the job.

This is a delight from start to finish, it gets a HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and a score of 804/1000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 19:30 
Bad Girl

Free Guy is fucking dreadful and I bloody love video games. There’s only 3 funny bits and one of those was something happening in the background…

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 20:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Hello Mr Grumpy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 22:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think my only disagreement with Hearthly there is that I thought Taika Waititi was superb as the bad guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I thought Free Guy was a bit poop to start with, but the second half was brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 13:47 
Hello Hello Hello

I'd agree with that, the first half was a bit scrappy, but it really came together splendidly in the second half and the final act in particular was awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 13:55 
Hibernating Druid

Jenuwin lolz @
D U D E

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 0:29 
Can you dig it?

I really quite liked the first Wonder Woman film, but WW84 was pretty boring. I fell asleep a couple of times, I reckon I slept through at least 50% of it and still don't feel like I missed anything major.

The opening action scene was overly long and dull. The ending action scene seemed dull. The way wonder woman 'flew' seemed a bit silly.

Starting a movie at ~11pm is not a good idea for me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 13:48 

Blimey, Disney seem to be enjoying the controversy - Black Widow is now bog standard Disney+ content. Bang goes the shiny disc revenue stream.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 23:49 
Gogmagog

Jolt: Becksindale would make a fucking brilliant Doctor Who if Doctor Who didn't time travel and had impulse control issues. Very wittily written, and way better than that shitty 0-0 draw you'll end up watching on Sky Sorts tomorrow

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409 ... 422  Next