Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 59  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 51
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 18:47 
Soopah red DS

Brent Cross! So much a feature of my childhood that it feels like it shouldn't now exist. I won't go back, I'll just keep it as a vague memory.

I was in the Metrocentre a few times recently, though - big enough that it felt pretty empty, and it was quite nice just walking around (and then I went to the cinema, and then again).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 19:01 

JBR wrote:
Brent Cross! So much a feature of my childhood that it feels like it shouldn't now exist. I won't go back, I'll just keep it as a vague memory.

Did you climb on the wooden animals? They were the best. I swear I can still remember how they felt and the noise they’d make as you clambered over them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 19:37 
Unpossible!

We had a similar wooden snake near us, but ours had elevation! I used to have claustrophobic nightmares about getting stuck in it :S

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:19 
Sitting balls-back folder

The Arndale Centre in Manchester used to have an iron rhino that you could climb inside. By going in its bumhole.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:38 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mimi wrote:
Apart from when I thought I was trapped inside the wooden tortoise outside Waitrose…

I think we need more information :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:48 

KovacsC wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Apart from when I thought I was trapped inside the wooden tortoise outside Waitrose…

I think we need more information :)

Much like DavPaz, I think it was just claustrophobia. You could crawl inside the tortoise, but it was tight turning around in there, and some other kids got in and I just had a claustrophobic freak out.

Nothing compared to the claustrophobic freak out I had when I crawled headfirst into a sleeping bag when I was 11 and tried to turn around and got stuck. That was awful.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 21:01 
Soopah red DS

I don't remember the wooden animals, but I probably did go on them. Really I just got fascinated with the shopping, because I didn't have any money - it seemed such an aspirational thing (took me years to get rid of that idea). One day I reached under the counters at Fenwick's for some reason and found 50p, so was always convinced there was more money to be found at Fenwick's if only I could find the right spot. I don't think I was quite into it enough to actually crawl round the floors, but I know I wanted to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 21:16 

I bet you’re the monster that boxed me into the wooden tortoise, looking for 50p coins.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 21:20 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
headfirst into a sleeping bag

18 months ago, me and SmallOne invented the game "Baggy Baggy" where she would crawl to the bottom of the sleeping bag, and I would pick it up and swing it around my head.

It was only ever played three times until Higher Forces banned it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 21:39 

:DD

You’re brilliant and terrifying all at once.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 21:41 

BikNorton wrote:
The Arndale Centre in Manchester used to have an iron rhino that you could climb inside. By going in its bumhole.

I love that we all grew up with the precursor to soft play: REALLY HARD PLAY.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 22:43 
Soopah red DS

Mimi wrote:
I bet you’re the monster that boxed me into the wooden tortoise, looking for 50p coins.

Oh, now that I remember. Be still, Wooden Tortoise! Quiet in there! I am searching for coin. A great treasure awaits if you would only stop banging.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:25 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Zardoz wrote:
I haven't missed going there! Bloody awful before the pandemic.

Can you get me a fresh box of Krispy Kreme donuts from round the corner though please x

I only go in M&S, which I enter directly from the car park, and that's only for work. I did venture across the floor to Boots a couple of weeks ago to get siome Covid test kits, but other than that I avoid it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:26 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Malc wrote:
I try to avoid shopping centers where I can, but I have to go to one, it's either within an hour of them opening on a weekend, or between 10:00 - 11:00 or 14:00 - 15:00 on a week day (avoiding pre work/school, lunch and post work/school rush times).

:this:

So many different childhood memories of shopping centres. When you're a kid, you don't worry about the problems of parking, the mindless crowds, the fake architecture, JUST GET ME TO THE TOY SHOP/THINGS TO CLIMB ON/PLACE TO EAT PROCESSED FOOD!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:34 
Unpossible!

I found this about the guy who made the nightmare snake!

https://playsculptures.wordpress.com/?f ... iZKEPXvfqo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Wellingborough shopping centre had a motherfucking dragon:

You can crawl through that one, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:37 
Unpossible!

Up it's arse?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:47 
sneering elitist

I hate all shopping centres equally, if that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I'm back at Buttonwood Services today, in almost the exact spot where some scallies knicked a load of my van stock a few months ago. Across the sweeping magesty of the car park, Teslas graize at their charging stations.

Attachment:
20210716_123511.jpg

I'm on route from the inappropriately named Mount Pleasant car park in Liverpool, the closest place I could find to park in the vicinity of Leece St Co Op, to M&S in Bolton.

Liverpool has on-street parking, run by "Phone and Pay," a company that gets about 99% one star ratings and a load of abusive comments about their app. You want to pay by phone? No problem. You want to park for four hours, and have tapped the appropriate button? And now you're on the Pay screen. Did you notice that you're only paying for an hour? So when you stay for four, we'll be pleased to send you a Parking Charge Notice. Oh, you spotted that, did you, and decided to pay at the machine instead. What? You don't have enough coins? I'm sorry, we don't have card payments on the machines, it's coins or nothing. Have a nice day.

Fuck off, I'll go to Mount Unpleasant multi-story instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:54 

DavPaz wrote:

Amazing! He made the Brent Cross ones, too! I love them. The kids of Middlesbrough had a great one by the looks of it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Up it's arse?

No, it was through a back leg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:59 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Amazing! He made the Brent Cross ones, too! I love them. The kids of Middlesbrough had a great one by the looks of it.

And an very similar one in St Helens that Johnny Vegas himself used to play on. Amazing indeed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 13:00 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Up it's arse?

Man those openings are small. No wonder I have traumatic flashbacks :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 13:09 
Excellent Painter

MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
headfirst into a sleeping bag

18 months ago, me and SmallOne invented the game "Baggy Baggy" where she would crawl to the bottom of the sleeping bag, and I would pick it up and swing it around my head.

It was only ever played three times until Higher Forces banned it.

I used to swing my daughter around by her calves. Like her mother, she bruises easily. And I was called into the school to explain the finger print bruises on her calves!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 13:20 

God, I hope the school never phone about Darwin’s bruises, because I haven’t a clue where they come from snd he has hundreds of them. He only gets them during term time, though, so maybe I should pre-empt them and phone the school asking what all of the bruises are from.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 13:21 

DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Up it's arse?

Man those openings are small. No wonder I have traumatic flashbacks :D

They really are. Terrifying :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 20:04 
Sitting balls-back folder

Apparently they were wooden, but they were definitely rhino and you could climb inside.

https://ilovemanchester.com/manchester- ... h-birthday

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:01 
Hibernating Druid

No giant wooden animals to climb in round here as a kid, but we had ALL THE ARCADES, Professor Peabodys play place, Jungle Jim’s and Blackpool pleasure beach all a bone shaking tram ride away.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:02 
Hibernating Druid

Suppose we had the zoo too but harder climbing in real animals.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:35 

Jungle Jims under the tower had the best snake slides.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Professor peabodys play place! Now there's a name I haven't heard for a long time.

There was one of those in Llandudno if I remember rightly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:16 
Best
Board Mother

I don't remember there even being a shopping centre anywhere when I grew up. It's not the sort of place I think we would have been likely to go anyway I think.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 13:12 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I'm roasting in a layby with no shade but a strong smell of cow parsley, just outside Prestbury (more millionaires per square mile than most other places). Prestbuy's a beautiful and awful place. Some fabulous properties, but you could live there for 50 years and never knowingly meet your neighbours. I find it odd that they have a Co Op, but maybe I shouldn't. What they don't have, apart from a bit in the centre of the village, is any on-street parking, or even pavements.
Attachment:
20210717_130410.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 19:12 
Prince of Fops

Warhead wrote:
I'm roasting in a layby with no shade but a strong smell of cow parsley, just outside Prestbury (more millionaires per square mile than most other places). Prestbuy's a beautiful and awful place. Some fabulous properties, but you could live there for 50 years and never knowingly meet your neighbours. I find it odd that they have a Co Op, but maybe I shouldn't. What they don't have, apart from a bit in the centre of the village, is any on-street parking, or even pavements.
Attachment:
20210717_130410.jpg

Is the black boy still called the black boy?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 19:19 

Findus Fop wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Attachment:
20210717_130410.jpg

We’ve been past a place a few times with a pub/inn/restaurant called ‘The Black Boy’, I’m sure on the way to an NT property. Im sure somewhere I’ve seen it referenced with loads of disclaimers about the history, etc, but goodness I’d just change it. Edit: the one I’m thinking of is in Knowle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 19:32 
Prince of Fops

Mimi wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Attachment:
20210717_130410.jpg

We’ve been past a place a few times with a pub/inn/restaurant called ‘The Black Boy’, I’m sure on the way to an NT property. Im sure somewhere I’ve seen it referenced with loads of disclaimers about the history, etc, but goodness I’d just change it. Edit: the one I’m thinking of is in Knowle.

Indeed! A quick Google reveals the one I was thinking of has changed to the Legh Arms, so that's something. But it was definitely called the black boy last time I was there several years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 21:29 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Findus Fop wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Attachment:
20210717_130410.jpg

Indeed! A quick Google reveals the one I was thinking of has changed to the Legh Arms, so that's something. But it was definitely called the black boy last time I was there several years ago.

No idea. It's only round the corner from the Co Op, but I never go round that corner, so I haven't seen it. I seem to remember there being something in the local news about it a while ago, but I can't remember the outcome. There's still a website for it, but it just says they're no longer open.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:49 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Update: I had another call in Prestbury this morning, but approached from the Macclesfield side and went past the Legh Arms. There's no sign of The Black Boy at all.

Today, I'm lunching in the shade on Silk St in Manchester's Northern Quarter. They close some roads at the weekend to allow restaurants, cafes and bars to have more space, which makes it a right bugger to get to the Co Op on Blossom St. Took me yonks to find a parking space.

Attachment:
20210718_124032.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 16:12 
Gogmagog

Lads, this is baby pool warm, I'm listening to Mogwai's As The Love Continues and the sun is out.

Fucking brilliant, lads.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:51 
Decapodian

It’s going to be a really toasty week. It was about 20 degrees at 7am which is a lot.

Hopefully nobody here has to do anything too physical.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:58 
Unpossible!

Going to try and sit in front of this fan for most of the day an move little.

No hay bales to move!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:09 

Just waiting for someone to turn up across the road to start chopping something up with an angle grinder or Stihl saw. Usually seems to be what happens when it's really hot and I need the office room windows open.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
No hay bales to move!

CLEEQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:09 

Today is being a good diabetic.

Had my eyes photographed. As they are sexy. They put drops in so I look like I am tripping out.

I have become part cyborg. Doing a 14 day test of a sensor that takes your blood measurement. It should help with training too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:17 
sneering elitist

Looks like the one Jessica Buettner (big powerlifting inspo) has on her arm to measure glucose levels in the blood - is that the same thing? Pretty cool :metul:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:20 

Jem wrote:
Looks like the one Jessica Buettner (big powerlifting inspo) has on her arm to measure glucose levels in the blood - is that the same thing? Pretty cool :metul:

Yes. I want to see how my body reacts more often.

Plus a gadget.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 14:40 

markg wrote:
Just waiting for someone to turn up across the road to start chopping something up with an angle grinder or Stihl saw. Usually seems to be what happens when it's really hot and I need the office room windows open.

Pneumatic drill and some kind of rubble crushing machine three doors down, here. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Road trip is well under way. The Skoda Octavia (or similar) hire car turned out to be a Citroen C3 Aircross, but it has a great air conditioning system, thank goodness. Monday, Mrs. W, our granddaughter and I set off for Redruth, but stayed overnight at a Premier Inn at Weston Super Mare. We checked in, went to south beach, had a paddle then back to the hotel for dinner.

Our room could only be described as similar to a sauna, in terms of temperature and humidity. No air con and no fan. The restraint was air conditioned, and we had a cool evening meal, then back to the room. It was unbearable, so we went back to the bar for a while too cool off, but eventually had to head to bed. I was knackered after the driving, and fell asleep pretty quickly, even though I was already soaked in perspiration. Unknown to me, my travelling companions were not doing so well, and went to sit in the beer garden to cool down at 1am.

I woke on Tuesday with my jammies completely soaked. It just hadn’t got any cooler. I had a shower, but couldn’t get dry as my skin was so leaky. We had breakfast, then set off for Redruth to meet our ex-neighbours who moved here a year ago. As they were both working, we had another beach trip and paddle after booking in at the hotel, but not actually going in to see how hot and humid the room was.

Got our friends in mid afternoon, then went with them to Falmouth for a quick trip on the motor cruiser they bought, but as the tide was ebbing we couldn’t get far, so back to their house for dinner and a pleasant evening in their garden.

Back to the hotel at about 10pm and pleased to find there’s air con in the rooms, so it’s much more comfortable. There are weather warnings for heat today, so I’m not sure what we’ll be doing, but we may be out on the boat again at some point and then we’re having a barby at our friends’ later.

It was a quite an emotional reunion. They left Manchester after their troubled 24 year old daughter died unexpectedly from a cardiac arrest. We are great friends and we were sorry to see them go, but they’ve been lucky with their house and have both found work here, so their big gamble paid off. It’s great to see them settled after the terrible last few years they had in Manchester.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:30 

Warhead wrote:
Road trip is well under way. The Skoda Octavia (or similar) hire car turned out to be a Citroen C3 Aircross, but it has a great air conditioning system, thank goodness. Monday, Mrs. W, our granddaughter and I set off for Redruth, but stayed overnight at a Premier Inn at Weston Super Mare. We checked in, went to south beach, had a paddle then back to the hotel for dinner.

Our room could only be described as similar to a sauna, in terms of temperature and humidity. No air con and no fan. The restraint was air conditioned, and we had a cool evening meal, then back to the room. It was unbearable, so we went back to the bar for a while too cool off, but eventually had to head to bed. I was knackered after the driving, and fell asleep pretty quickly, even though I was already soaked in perspiration. Unknown to me, my travelling companions were not doing so well, and went to sit in the beer garden to cool down at 1am.

I woke on Tuesday with my jammies completely soaked. It just hadn’t got any cooler. I had a shower, but couldn’t get dry as my skin was so leaky. We had breakfast, then set off for Redruth to meet our ex-neighbours who moved here a year ago. As they were both working, we had another beach trip and paddle after booking in at the hotel, but not actually going in to see how hot and humid the room was.

Got our friends in mid afternoon, then went with them to Falmouth for a quick trip on the motor cruiser they bought, but as the tide was ebbing we couldn’t get far, so back to their house for dinner and a pleasant evening in their garden.

Back to the hotel at about 10pm and pleased to find there’s air con in the rooms, so it’s much more comfortable. There are weather warnings for heat today, so I’m not sure what we’ll be doing, but we may be out on the boat again at some point and then we’re having a barby at our friends’ later.

It was a quite an emotional reunion. They left Manchester after their troubled 24 year old daughter died unexpectedly from a cardiac arrest. We are great friends and we were sorry to see them go, but they’ve been lucky with their house and have both found work here, so their big gamble paid off. It’s great to see them settled after the terrible last few years they had in Manchester.

Sounds a lovely time. Other than the sauna room

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:50 

Sounds like you’re having a well deserved important time away. I’m glad you have a better room to sleep in, which will hopefully leave you more refreshed. How long has it been since you saw your friends last?

Reply to topic  [ 2920 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 59  Next