Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 21:37 
Bad Girl

Tomorrow War is a film that has some good CGI, which is the best thing I can say about it. The films is properly finished after an hour, and it was ok-ish I guess but stupid, but then they construct some far less interesting drama to make it last another hour and you might as well turn off there and then because how you think it’ll end, is how it ends. Just a dumb, dumb film that’s dumb.

3/10 - for the premise and CGI monsters (that’s one for the premise that they fail to do anything with and two for the monsters, despite them just being the usual swarm of CGI drones at a few points)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 22:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Findus Fop wrote:
1 star.

On the Craster Scale?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 22:37 
Soopah red DS

Satsuma wrote:
Tomorrow War is a film that has some good CGI, which is the best thing I can say about it. The films is properly finished after an hour, and it was ok-ish I guess but stupid, but then they construct some far less interesting drama to make it last another hour and you might as well turn off there and then because how you think it’ll end, is how it ends. Just a dumb, dumb film that’s dumb.

3/10 - for the premise and CGI monsters (that’s one for the premise that they fail to do anything with and two for the monsters, despite them just being the usual swarm of CGI drones at a few points)

:this:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 23:41 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I watched Yesterday this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:37 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
1 star.

On the Craster Scale?

Thankfully not, otherwise social services might have been called.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:50 
Can you dig it?

Venom was really good fun, I enjoyed it far more than I thought I was going to. Tom Hardy is a good actor and I like him. Would recommend, and am keen for the sequel.

I also watched Polar through the net-of-flicks; Mads Mikkelson is a good actor and I like him, but this film seemed unsure whether it was trying to be gritty and darkly violent or wacky and off-beat. I only realised after the film had finished (when I was reading the trivia on Imdb, because I don't feel like the viewing experience is complete until I've done that part) that it was from a comic graphic novel. It was OK but would probably not recommend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:51 
Can you dig it?

Sir Taxalot wrote:
(when I was reading the trivia on Imdb, because I don't feel like the viewing experience is complete until I've done that part)

Does anyone else feel like that too?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 13:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Sir Taxalot wrote:
(when I was reading the trivia on Imdb, because I don't feel like the viewing experience is complete until I've done that part)

:this: :this: :this:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 14:25 
Hibernating Druid

No.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 14:29 

Yes, Russell looks up the IMDB for every film he watches immediately after watching it, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 14:43 

I don't need IMDB, my missus is compelled to interject even if it's in the middle of a crucial scene if that's when she realises what it was that we've seen them in before. >:(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 14:53 
sneering elitist

markg wrote:
I don't need IMDB, my missus is compelled to interject even if it's in the middle of a crucial scene if that's when she realises what it was that we've seen them in before. >:(

:DD that's me

Gaz is an IMDB-er too

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 14:53 
Unpossible!

I do both of those annoying things :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 15:16 

markg wrote:

Oh, I’m terrible for this :DD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 15:35 
Hibernating Druid

I watched The Tomorrow War.

I'll say this, it was 'better' than Army of the Dead.

That is all.

Actually the alien designs were very good.

That is all, now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 16:10 

Zardoz wrote:
I watched The Tomorrow War.

I'll say this, it was 'better' than Army of the Dead.

That is all.

Actually the alien designs were very good.

That is all, now.

Started watching a bit of this last night in bed. Fell asleep before I even saw an alien.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 23:27 
Can you dig it?

Jem wrote:
markg wrote:

:DD that's me

Gaz is an IMDB-er too

I'm much better at the 'what else have they been in' game than Lady T. Using IMDB for that is only an option once we have both given up.

I also like referring to characters by the name of other characters that the actor has portrayed (X-men for example becomes about Jean-Luc and Gandalf) when Lady T asks 'what's going on?'. I'm pretty sure she has not laughed even once at this but I am not going to stop doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 21:09 
Soopah red DS

Black Widow: certified, goood. Last time I saw Florence Pugh was in Little Women. She's at least as good here - brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:11 
Hello Hello Hello

The Tomorrow War is great, just turn your brain off at the door and enjoy what is a very well put together film with a likeable cast of characters, some great action setpieces, fantastic alien design, and enough of its tongue in its cheek (and some genuinely funny lines) to get away with how outrageously stupid it is.

698/1000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:20 

Yeah I saw the rest of it yesterday. Ended up fast forwarding some bits and nodding off briefly in others. It was sort of okay. There's probably a half decent 90 minute film in there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:02 
Hibernating Druid

JBR wrote:
Black Widow: certified, goood. Last time I saw Florence Pugh was in Little Women. She's at least as good here - brilliant.

My Marvel mad daughter and I will no doubt watch this over the weekend. Oh and last nights Loki that I skipped due to the kicking game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:33 
Decapodian

JBR wrote:

Don’t think I’ve seen her in anything else but she was great. Loved the dynamic between her and BW.

Being in an actual cinema again was great too. Only ‘bout 30 people in an IMAX screen so no safety concerns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:37 
Prince of Fops

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
JBR wrote:

Don’t think I’ve seen her in anything else but she was great. Loved the dynamic between her and BW.

Being in an actual cinema again was great too. Only ‘bout 30 people in an IMAX screen so no safety concerns.

You should watch the little drummer girl. Top notch spy TV.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:58 
Decapodian

Thanks. Looks interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:13 
Bad Girl

Fear Street: Part 1: 1994? Weak Street, more like.

A rather atypical and boring slasher flick from Netflix. Apart from one rather lovely death sequence with a bread slicer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:15 
Bad Girl

“Land of the Dead (also known as George A. Romero's Land of the Dead) is a 2005 post-apocalyptic horror film written and directed by George A. Romero” says Wikipedia. What it doesn’t tell you is that it’s a bag of shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 15:35 
Comfortably Dumb

Satsuma wrote:
Fear Street: Part 1: 1994? Weak Street, more like.

A rather atypical and boring slasher flick from Netflix. Apart from one rather lovely death sequence with a bread slicer.

The plus side of it being set in the 90s - lots of music I recognised. Part 2 at least adds some clarity to the overall story. Last part is released in a couple of days, so it'll be interesting to see how it rounds things off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 23:33 
Soopah red DS

The Endless. Trippy endless stuff. Did they get out?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I don't think they did.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:01 
Can you dig it?

Lady T's choice: The Maiden Heist, which has some big names playing the parts of old dudes that love some art so much that they decide to steal it. I felt like Morgan Freeman and Christopher Walken started out trying to have some fun but then kind of just phoned it in.

It wasn't bad but just.... a bit boring. I'm not sure I like whimsical-farce style that this was presented in. But I liked the end.

There is a nude scene with William H Macy. I was totally not expecting him to be so buff and muscular.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 14:23 
Bad Girl

I’m not saying that Black Widow is a bad film, per se, but fuck me it’s boring. The fake “family” storyline just didn’t resonate with me at all. The “comedy” is substandard and unless you’re really into the new characters most of the comedy won’t land (I wasn’t particularly into any of them at all. Fat dad was alright I guess; but the comedy sister wasn’t hitting for me at all. I don’t give a shit about how many pockets she has… etc).

And, fuck me, it doesn’t really actually start until 1 hr and 25 minutes into the bloody thing. There’s a couple of good action sequences and a few hand to hand combat sequences that looked great if I could see the pissing things with the bloody fast cuts (nothing Taken 2/3/Bourne ridiculous though).

And fucking fuck me sideways, Black Widow is by far the blandest thing about the film. I’m sorry, but I was a big fan of her in previous films but this entire film seemed unnecessary. Bee Dub seems like she’s post-snap miserable throughout the entire film.

Really disappointed.

4/10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 22:47 
Soopah red DS

Cinema day!

Old. People are put on a beach, and find it makes them age quickly. But why? Very odd dialogue and very strange acting and direction - I'm not sure there's an angle he doesn't explore - but it's not as rubbish as some think. Unintentionally funny, too. Lovely quote from CNET: "Life's a beach and then you die".

Summer of Soul. In 1969, Harlem hosted a series of free concerts, every weekend for a month (I think). It was dubbed "The Black Woodstock", in a bid to sell it, but no one bought it, so the coverage has sat in a basement. Lucky for us, as now it makes this joyous documentary, interlaced with the politics and stories of the day. 'Putting a man on the moon, yeah that's cool for those cats, but this (gig) is more significant for me.' Stevie Wonder, Nina Simone, whole pile of others. There must be piles of unshown footage that would be brilliant - we see a minute or so of comedy, and Mrs Maisel fans will spot Moms Mabley pop up for a few seconds, and want more. Fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 22:48 
Gogmagog

Black Widow: grab your popcorn and stuff it into your face on this entertaining adventure. Don't think too hard.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 18:03 
Soopah red DS

Suicide Squad: a selection of pictures and vignettes someone decided would be cool, loosely assembled into a story. Partly saved by Margot Robbie, if you're being very kind. What happens when people say "wouldn't it be cool if..?" too often, and forget everything else. Trademark Snyder slow-mo that's so slow I'm sat there thinking "yup, I can see it coming, please get on with it".

Jungle Cruise: thrilling, fun and funny. Bit heavy on the visual effects in places, but it has a heart and after S Squad it was wonderful to see competent story telling.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 18:11 
Isn't that lovely?

JBR wrote:
Suicide Squad: a selection of pictures and vignettes someone decided would be cool, loosely assembled into a story. Partly saved by Margot Robbie, if you're being very kind. What happens when people say "wouldn't it be cool if..?" too often, and forget everything else. Trademark Snyder slow-mo that's so slow I'm sat there thinking "yup, I can see it coming, please get on with it"..

Is that the new one at the Cinema, or the old one from about 4 or 5 years ago? (I hope you say the old one, because I was really looking forward to see what James Gunn would do)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:31 
Prince of Fops

Love the look of Jungle cruise from the posters/banners. A romp suitable for children?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 19:57 
Soopah red DS

Malc wrote:
JBR wrote:
Suicide Squad: a selection of pictures and vignettes someone decided would be cool, loosely assembled into a story. Partly saved by Margot Robbie, if you're being very kind. What happens when people say "wouldn't it be cool if..?" too often, and forget everything else. Trademark Snyder slow-mo that's so slow I'm sat there thinking "yup, I can see it coming, please get on with it"..

Is that the new one at the Cinema, or the old one from about 4 or 5 years ago? (I hope you say the old one, because I was really looking forward to see what James Gunn would do)

The new one! It had a similar vibe to the old one, frankly. Maybe a bit better? It still feels like Sky's (DC) sport montages compared to the Beeb's (Marvel) - all of the money, all of the parts, none of the judgment, resulting in something that is less than the sum of its parts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:33 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Went to see Black Widow yesterday., I don't if it was great to be back at the cinema, huge screen, recliner seats, but I really enjoyed the film. I had not realise how much I had missed the cinema.

It starts just after Civil war, and fills the gap to infinity war.....

Premise of the film, BW is in hiding, and letting the world pass after civil war. Through a series of events and the introduction of Taskmaster into the MCU, she gets dragged back towards the Black Widow 'red room' cult.

A lot of laughs, and a lot of action. I like it a lot, as it seems smaller in a personal way than the grand saving the galaxy IW and EG.

A solid 8/10. I can't wait to watch it again.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:31 
Gogmagog

The Suicide Squad is an absolute riot of fun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:34 

I was wondering why this has popped back up everywhere and I've only just now realised that this is not the same film as that pretty shite one from a couple of years back. It's better then?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

As Doc is fond of quoting from Mark Kermode, not going to the cinema was better than going to watch the last one. But yes, it's hugely more entertaining.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:31 
Soopah red DS

I saw two perfectly fine, but not great, films:

The Last Letter from Your Lover. A journalist finds a letter and is intrigued by the love story it is part of, trying to find out more. The story cuts between the old love story and the new one, in a way that shouts "hey, hasn't it changed now!" in a way that I suspect the original book did much more subtly - I've not read it, but it's by Jojo Moyes, and I read The Giver of Stars the other week, which was subtle and lovely. Here, the subtlety comes across as just a bit too "so what?". Still cried, but it just doesn't quite hit the highpoint the way it might. I'm sure that's because they've tried to stay true to the structure of the book which hasn't quite worked. Also feels like the filmmakers fought battles over, say, modern communication, when they ought to have concentrated elsewhere.

Stillwater. Matt Damon is a foolish American trying to free his daughter from a French prison. Slow and often gripping, with an unsatisfactory ending - the very end is abrupt, but thoughtful enough and fine, but there are a few turns right at the end that seemed a bit thrown in to tie it up. Lots of different ways to see it, much more satisfying as a look at acceptance or American isolationism than, say, throwing any light on the Amanda Know story. It's fair enough to come at it from that way - there are obvious parallels, and Knox is annoyed by it - but it makes the film opinionated and annoying. Oh, and Camille Cottin is slender but my word, her arms. It annoys me when they're overlooked in casting for super/everyday hero stuff, but she looks the part for any of those parts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 23:46 
Soopah red DS

The Sparks Brothers. Edgar Wright's love letter to the band, with talking heads a-plenty. It is a documentary, so dry in places, but the music bubbles under, there's some decent jokes (one that's only in the trailer, which is nice) and the warmth of feeling towards a band that have influenced loads of people is obvious. It talks about that influence without ramming it down your throat, which means it meanders a bit towards the end, but is all the better for it, I think.

Free Guy. A love letter to games, really. Some good jokes, Reynolds and Comer are great (not sure if she is playing British and has USed it up a bit to be palatable, or what) and there are good jokes, with a couple of absolute bangers. Really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 22:25 
Isn't that lovely?

The matrix really stands up to modern scrutiny doesn't it?

Re-watched it for the first time in ages, other than the sfx, and the phones. It could be have been released last year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 23:40 
Sitting balls-back folder

Friends came over for boozing and movie watching weekend before last. The Matrix was the film we started with on Friday night and after an hour we were all falling asleep, so we put Dredd on and really cranked the volume.

Dredd is the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:36 
Can you dig it?

I am Mother is an entertaining slice of Sci-fi. Somewhat reminiscent of Ex Machina in the way that it was tightly focussed on just a few characters.

I found it quite thought provoking but the massive signposting at the beginning made it a bit too obvious for me. Certainly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:58 

Malc wrote:

Re-watched it for the first time in ages, other than the sfx, and the phones. It could be have been released last year.

I used to have that Nokia phone. It was terrible and kept breaking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 13:31 
Soopah red DS

KovacsC wrote:
Malc wrote:

Counter! I had one, too, and it was fine, lasted me at least a couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 14:32 

JBR wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Malc wrote:

I went through about 6... Orange then upgraded me to the 6310, the best phone ever :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 14:49 
Prince of Fops

KovacsC wrote:
JBR wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Malc wrote:

I went through about 6... Orange then upgraded me to the 6310, the best phone ever :)

Incorrect, that was the 8210.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 21:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I think you mean the Nokia N95.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408 ... 422  Next