Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 3927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 79  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you bought?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:47 
Best
Board Mother

TheVision wrote:
markg wrote:
TheVision wrote:
My grant money drone and Sea of Thieves top trumps.

A Mini 2, excellent choice!

Thank you. Its great so far! Of course, the first thing I did with it was see how high it would go.

It's pretty scary when it's so far away from you but it should be great in a bigger space.

I can't wait to see some of your filming with it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:02 

TheVision wrote:
I've seen some websites say 6 miles... That's insane.

Hah, I'm fairly certain that it won't fly six miles high, that's airliner cruising altitude. They're probably talking about range but the range is almost limited more by the battery life than the signal.

Legally however it's 120 metres high and within visual line of sight. I think the default height limit is set to 120m but you can override it.

But the good thing with this one is that it's under 250g so there are a lot of rules that don't come into play. You can fly it in towns and over people etc. but just not crowds or busy areas. Although because it has a camera if you want to stay legal then you do need to register still.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:16 
sneering elitist

markg wrote:
You can fly it in towns and over people etc.

Read this as "you can fly it into people"

Really should wait til I've properly woken up before I read posts. :DD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:22 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Attachment:
Security light.jpg

Attachment:
Debox SL.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 17:57 
Best
Board Mother

I caved. I've been wanting one for ages, but felt I couldn't justify it. I came up with a pretty convincing argument for myself though. :smug:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 18:23 

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
I caved. I've been wanting one for ages, but felt I couldn't justify it. I came up with a pretty convincing argument for myself though. :smug:

Was the argument "our carpets are fucking disgusting?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 20:08 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

markg wrote:
TheVision wrote:
I've seen some websites say 6 miles... That's insane.

Hah, I'm fairly certain that it won't fly six miles high, that's airliner cruising altitude. They're probably talking about range but the range is almost limited more by the battery life than the signal.

Legally however it's 120 metres high and within visual line of sight. I think the default height limit is set to 120m but you can override it.

But the good thing with this one is that it's under 250g so there are a lot of rules that don't come into play. You can fly it in towns and over people etc. but just not crowds or busy areas. Although because it has a camera if you want to stay legal then you do need to register still.

I shall definitely be registering it as I'll be using it for work too but yeah, the weight was one of the draws to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 21:29 
Ready for action

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I love new household gadgets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 22:30 

Oh, I love vax! Ma lent us hers a couple of years ago and though we’ve never worn shoes at the house it’s so shocking what comes up. The carpets in the new house look under a year old but even still they gave up quite a bit of dirt (we still have the vax ma lent us... to be fair my sister had been borrowing it for the five years previous).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:33 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Warhead wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
*knock knock*
"Hello Mrs Head! Can War come out and play?"
"No lads, he has to update the firmware on the doorbell. And the oven. And the heating. Then he has to clean his room."
"Aw!"
"and the fridge"

Ha! As you may remember, I eschew most IoT kit, but it's getting harder to avoid it.

But I've been pressured by the female contingent of the WH household to buy this doorbell, and they gradually beat me down.

There was a lot of bad language as I tried to follow the somewhat inadequate setup instructions. Physical installation was OK, but a bit more detail on connecting to wifi would have helped. Anyroadup, the bell is working, but no matter how I tried, I couldn't get the Chime to connect.

After several visits to the Ring community forums, I had another go at setting up the chime. I'm still not sure how I did it, but it IS now working.
The setup instructions were definitely inadequate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 13:53 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
We’ve just officially bought the keys to this garden (and the house you pass through to get to it).

We completed today and the keys are ready to be picked up after lunch.

Obviously the pictures were taken when we started the purchase, so it’ll be a lot more wintery now, but I just can’t wait to get into the outside space with Darwin. Going to buy a slide! Going to make a vegetable bed!

Being stuck in this flat the past year has been more difficult than usual, and despite how stressful this process can be just the thought of having some outdoors space is amazing.

This is our first non-rental home and is a really huge and exciting step for us.

Fantastic that you've got your own place. That garden is superb and looks really well looked after, so you won't have much to do except maintain it..... although that can be quite a job.

We love our garden, we can't wait for the weather to be good enough to sit out there. We always feel less stressed when we can do that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:14 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Attachment:
20210207_095642.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:31 

What is it, WRhead?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:33 

Warhead wrote:
Mimi wrote:
We’ve just officially bought the keys to this garden (and the house you pass through to get to it).

We completed today and the keys are ready to be picked up after lunch.

Obviously the pictures were taken when we started the purchase, so it’ll be a lot more wintery now, but I just can’t wait to get into the outside space with Darwin. Going to buy a slide! Going to make a vegetable bed!

Being stuck in this flat the past year has been more difficult than usual, and despite how stressful this process can be just the thought of having some outdoors space is amazing.

This is our first non-rental home and is a really huge and exciting step for us.

Fantastic that you've got your own place. That garden is superb and looks really well looked after, so you won't have much to do except maintain it..... although that can be quite a job.

We love our garden, we can't wait for the weather to be good enough to sit out there. We always feel less stressed when we can do that.

I think the garden has been loved and maintained really well, until the lady living here was widowed. I think it’s been let go a bit over the last year, so we’ve got a bit of work, but it’ll be ok. I’m ready for it x

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:32 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Remember, tactically designating sections of the garden to be the "Wildlife Garden" can significantly reduce the amount of work needed :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 13:13 

There is already a ‘wildlife area’ with lots of wild growth and a pond, and resident heron (he’s been out there three hours so far today and has been here every day we’ve been dropping things off), at the far end, near the trees. I best not let that extend all the way :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 17:40 
Isn't that lovely?

Mimi wrote:
There is already a ‘wildlife area’ with lots of wild growth and a pond, and resident heron (he’s been out there three hours so far today and has been here every day we’ve been dropping things off), at the far end, near the trees. I best not let that extend all the way :D

Amazing, I'd love a resident heron!

When we first moved to Ivybridge, on one of exploratory walks, I saw a heron catching a fish in the river (the river Erme detail fans) and was looking forward to seeing many more, but I still have not seen one since then (2007).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 18:06 

Mimi wrote:

Are you sure it's not one of those plastic ones?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 18:39 
Noob as of 6/8/10

markg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

It'll be checking out the pond to see if there are any fish to grab. There are herons a couple of miles away in our local park and they have emptied all the garden ponds of fish in our area.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 18:42 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
What is it, WRhead?

It's a door stop. It's going behind the kitchen door to stop it banging against the wall, or in front of it to keep the door open. We've had one of those screw-on ones for years, but it kept breaking and I kept gluing it back together again, but I saw this fancy thing on-line and couldn't resist it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 19:01 
Gogmagog

Warhead wrote:
I saw this fancy thing on-line and couldn't resist it.

I hear that a lot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 20:59 

markg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Well! Yes, we have a plastic heron statue, it turns out.

We came here a few days before moving in proper, just to measure for a few things, and so D could have a run around the garden, and I spotted the heron statue, took a picture of it (which it won’t let me upload) and it made me chuckle we’d not spotted it until then.

The next day (I think) or maybe a bit later the same day, I was looking out of the window and noticed that there was another heron statue by the pond, right next to the first. It was painted though. I called Russell to look and just couldn’t understand how neither of us had spotted it earlier.

After what was an age it suddenly struck me that the one on the right wasn’t a statue, but a real heron. It’s a huge heron, as well. It’s wingspan is about 2m. It’s there every day, and sits there for about 2-3hrs, at least twice a day.

There are no fish in the pond, which I think it must be aware of as it is extremely bold and I think must have at least part ownership of the garden. Maybe (s)he is looking for frogs or similar, or thinks that the statue heron is a mate?

When it extends its neck the real heron is significantly larger than its (plastic? Concrete?) fake counterpart. I should give the statue a tap to see if it’s hollow.

Edit: I managed to add some pictures. They are in the opposite order to what I intended, but we haven’t got the internet set up yet so I was struggling a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 21:54 
Soopah red DS

That is magnificent. What a great visitor!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 22:30 
Excellent Painter

They are positively prehistoric in their demeanour. They will eat all your fish though, if you want to keep them. You can protect ponds from Herons, obvs and you need to think about Darwin’s safety as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 22:45 

That's what the plastic ones are meant to do. We used to have fish in our pond but now it's a wildlife pond with frogs and stuff, way more interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 22:47 

DBSnappa wrote:
They are positively prehistoric in their demeanour. They will eat all your fish though, if you want to keep them. You can protect ponds from Herons, obvs and you need to think about Darwin’s safety as well.

I mean, it’s a big bird, but I think it’d struggle trying to eat Darwin.

(And there are still no fish in the pond ;) )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 22:49 

markg wrote:
That's what the plastic ones are meant to do.
I think the (real) heron is attracted to the plastic one here :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 23:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

We have a resident heron, they don't look like they should be able to fly really....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 23:27 
ugvm'er at heart...

Here he is, we also have swans!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 23:35 
Isn't that lovely?

Very envious of you both!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:48 
Can you dig it?

This is not the first time I have heard of a heron sitting at a pond 'guarded' by fake one. I'm questioning how effective these dummy herons really are.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:24 
Soopah red DS

All a plot by Big Heron, it turns out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:27 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:

This made me properly LOL :DD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 15:55 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Oh, I love vax! Ma lent us hers a couple of years ago and though we’ve never worn shoes at the house it’s so shocking what comes up. The carpets in the new house look under a year old but even still they gave up quite a bit of dirt (we still have the vax ma lent us... to be fair my sister had been borrowing it for the five years previous).

I sued to have one years ago when the boys were little. One of the old Orange wet/dry ones. It was brilliant. I'd wash the carpets a couple of times a year plus if/when needed. It really does help to freshen them up.

I did try this one on Friday - really impressed with it to be fair. I only did the living room and plenty came out. I think it looks and smells fresher in there now. It's amazing the dirt and odours that carpets can hold on to. Hoping to do my office at the weekend. There is still a faint eau de vomit in here. :spew:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 16:25 

Joans been having a wild one again?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 16:32 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Joans been having a wild one again?

Yup, just can't keep the party guy down.
Giphy "party guy":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/3o6vXUrgYSAwWql3WM/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 16:36 
ugvm'er at heart...

Now, I don't want to assume anyone's pronoun, but that doesn't look like a guy...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 17:08 
Best
Board Mother

Trooper wrote:
Now, I don't want to assume anyone's pronoun, but that doesn't look like a guy...

You're just not used to seeing Joans with hair.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 23:25 
Can you dig it?

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
It's amazing the dirt and odours that carpets can hold on to.

It is indeed. I have a slightly grim fascination with how dirty the water appears after a wash. Lady T gets fed up with being called to look at how dark it is.

I am also continually surprised at how much sand comes up out of the carpet too, even though we vacuum frequently and live nowhere near a beach, and the kids don't even have a sandpit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:34 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
I am also continually surprised at how much sand comes up out of the carpet too

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 13:04 
Isn't that lovely?

GazChap wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
I am also continually surprised at how much sand comes up out of the carpet too

I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

Are you suggesting Sir Taxalot is Padme?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 13:18 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

A new camera... Which I haven't got a clue how to use but when have I ever let that out me off?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:41 
Unpossible!

Point the round end at the thing you want to make into a video. Press red button.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:42 
Unpossible!

Are you prepared for the increased file sizes at 4k?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 14:43 
Unpossible!

I've just ordered a cable

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 15:25 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:
Are you prepared for the increased file sizes at 4k?

When I say I'm prepared, I mean that I am aware of them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 15:44 
Hibernating Druid

Mimi wrote:

Please can you check if Russells ok?! He's not posted for a while now.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 15:46 
Hibernating Druid

Trooper wrote:

You have swans?!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 15:52 
ugvm'er at heart...

Zardoz wrote:
Trooper wrote:

You have swans?!

Not personally, I'm not the queen or anything.

We don't have our own gardens, we have communal outside space that has a river running through it. The swans live on the river.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 15:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

The swans are called Terry and June.
Terry is an aggressive prick.

Reply to topic  [ 3927 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 79  Next