Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY? GTFO!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 16:56 
Best
Board Mother

sdg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I’ve always wanted a string of pearls or string of hearts, but they are so pricey :( For now we have a spider plant cutting that Ma gave us that turned into a monster. It has about 100 plant babies.

As for the kitchen, I think you should go with what you love, not with what you think would be more marketable, GJ. You’re the ones cooking and enjoying, and at some point you have to put your own happiness/living before potential profit, and that kitchen looks amazing!

I’m not sure how well a cutting travels but in the spring I could send you one from my string of hearts? Mine is getting super long. Bonus string of pearls picture because the planter is awesome.

Attachment:
E7D3095F-AB71-403D-87E6-FFBCA3180802.jpeg

Attachment:
1252E0BB-224B-458A-A880-9CD5BC1F6449.jpeg

They are both gorgeous! :luv:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 16:57 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
I’ve only ever seen them in garden centres for about £30. £7 I could probably stretch to :D

Ouch! Garden centres be spendy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 14:33 

Spent the last couple of days taking down an old wardrobe and putting up both a new one and a chest of drawers in its place. Knackering but now it's done I'm pleased with the results. Next task is to fill them up and throw out clothes I don't want or fit into any more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 14:49 

sdg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I’ve always wanted a string of pearls or string of hearts, but they are so pricey :( For now we have a spider plant cutting that Ma gave us that turned into a monster. It has about 100 plant babies.

As for the kitchen, I think you should go with what you love, not with what you think would be more marketable, GJ. You’re the ones cooking and enjoying, and at some point you have to put your own happiness/living before potential profit, and that kitchen looks amazing!

I’m not sure how well a cutting travels but in the spring I could send you one from my string of hearts? Mine is getting super long. Bonus string of pearls picture because the planter is awesome.

Attachment:
E7D3095F-AB71-403D-87E6-FFBCA3180802.jpeg

Attachment:
1252E0BB-224B-458A-A880-9CD5BC1F6449.jpeg

Gilly, I have just seen this and I would absolutely love that! Thank you!

Keen, well done. I’m similarly just sorting through our wardrobe now, and it feels good when there is a bit more space. Where did you manage to find a wardrobe from, if you don’t mind me asking? I’m looking at getting a new one and so many are out of stock.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 14:53 

I ordered this one from John Lewis. It does come with handles but as I didn't fancy drilling through glass I bought some stick-on ones instead .

Chest of drawers came from Argos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 14:58 

I hadn’t even considered John Lewis! I just had a look and found one in stock that goes really well with our furniture. Sadly it’s more expensive than all of the rest of our furniture combined so would be cheaper to just start again (don’t worry, environment fans, we won’t be actually doing that) :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 16:00 
Best
Board Mother

Kern wrote:
Spent the last couple of days taking down an old wardrobe and putting up both a new one and a chest of drawers in its place. Knackering but now it's done I'm pleased with the results. Next task is to fill them up and throw out clothes I don't want or fit into any more.

Good work! It feels so satisfying doesn't it? :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 16:03 
Best
Board Mother

Just finished the mist coat. Can't get the spotlights out though despite gentle turning and gentle pulling. I think we are just being too soft, but we don't want to cause any damage.

We've text the electrition who installed them, but don't expect a response on a Sunday. If you have any ideas, let us know.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 16:05 

Even I wouldn't leave something like this.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 16:32 
Unpossible!

Those flush-fit downlights are normally on spring clips. If you can get a thin chopstick or similar in either side, you might be able to compress it enough to slip it out

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 16:40 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, try a couple of old bank cards or even a plastic spatula to prise it down.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 16:42 
Hibernating Druid

Or take the roof off/floorboards up above them and push down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:19 
Best
Board Mother

DavPaz wrote:
Those flush-fit downlights are normally on spring clips. If you can get a thin chopstick or similar in either side, you might be able to compress it enough to slip it out

Yeah, that's my guess, I'm just not sure and don't want to cause any damage to the plaster.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:20 
Best
Board Mother

Zardoz wrote:
Yeah, try a couple of old bank cards or even a plastic spatula to prise it down.

Ooh, cards are a good shout!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:20 
Best
Board Mother

Zardoz wrote:
Or take the roof off/floorboards up above them and push down.

:D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:46 
Excellent Painter

Can you move them away from the ceiling enough to get some tape around them? Thats what I normally do. Pull them down a centimetre, run the tape around the edge, then push the tape over the light fitting. Use a small roller and a sash brush.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 17:53 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Can't you pop the springs off from inside of you take the bulb out? I thought that was part of the design. Maybe only certain models.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 18:02 
Isn't that lovely?

we have similar lights, they are indeed on springs, and if you pull hard enough they come out fine, it really feels like you might be putting too much pressure on, and then they just pop out!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 18:48 

I watched the electrician put them in, and I thought the covers screwed on. I did save one of the boxes, but it looks like it's been thrown away in one of the many clean ups. He's due back out this week anyway, so if he doesn't come back to me, I'll just get him to take them down while he's here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 19:09 
Best
Board Mother

DBSnappa wrote:
Can you move them away from the ceiling enough to get some tape around them? Thats what I normally do. Pull them down a centimetre, run the tape around the edge, then push the tape over the light fitting. Use a small roller and a sash brush.

No, I can't budge them at all.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, really.

I've cleaned up for the night now, but if Ben doesn't get back to us or isn't around tomorrow, I'll have another go. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 22:38 
Excellent Painter

Joans wrote:
I watched the electrician put them in, and I thought the covers screwed on. I did save one of the boxes, but it looks like it's been thrown away in one of the many clean ups. He's due back out this week anyway, so if he doesn't come back to me, I'll just get him to take them down while he's here.

That’s quite unusual. The springs can be stiff, but I’m surprised you cannot move them at all

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:11 
Sitting balls-back folder

DBSnappa wrote:
Joans wrote:

That’s quite unusual. The springs can be stiff, but I’m surprised you cannot move them at all

The ones the spark put in our downstairs hall nearly broke my thumb - absolutely unnecessarily strong springs. And because whoever cut the hole for the previous fitting used a bin lid as a template, almost impossible to make it stay, for bonus multiplier on risk of a&e visits.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 13:08 
Hibernating Druid

Going back to DBSnappas comment, yeah just mask them up :D

I'd be tempted to get the blue automotive masking tape for this as some beige bog standard tapes are shite and paint still gets in, especially as you'll be painting above them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 19:33 
Excellent Painter

Zardoz wrote:
Going back to DBSnappas comment, yeah just mask them up :D

I'd be tempted to get the blue automotive masking tape for this as some beige bog standard tapes are shite and paint still gets in, especially as you'll be painting above them.

Or frog tape. The bigger problem with most masking tapes is they “really” stick if left in place for a couple of days and are a PITA to remove

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:44 
Best
Board Mother

Thanks for the suggestions folks. :)

I'm sure you're all dying to know what happened. :D

We did hear back off the electrician, who confirmed they do just pull out, goodness only knows what Joan's thought he saw. I'm glad we waited and did it properly though, it will have such a nicer finish.

In other news, we tried to order the kitchen yesterday, the doors and draw fronts are out of stock until June. :facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:57 
Decapodian

In a case of very much not doing it yourself, the water feed for the toilet in my en suite sprang a leak on Friday evening.
I had visions of spending all weekend ruining things then remembered I'd got free household emergency cover with the home insurance so gave them a ring.

Aside from the plumber having a horrendous case of builders arse crack, and being unable to put a mask over his nose it was all sorted within about two and a half hours of me picking up the phone. I'll be more than happy to use Esure again next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:35 

So Russell has gone into the house today for the first time since we bought it, and the seller has left a wardrobe. We can’t find a wardrobe online, so... win-win?

Well, I could find wardrobes online that didn’t go with anything m, and I didn’t want to spend a huge amount of money on something that didn’t go with any of our stuff, so at least I’m not spending money on ugly wardrobes, but... is there any way to improve these? Can you just buy wardrobe doors? Would that be cost effective? Is there any way of painting/covering this weird material?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:49 

Vinyl! Nicky's vinyl covered the whole kitchen again. It looks ok and it's perfect for big flat surfaces like those

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:57 
Best
Board Mother

Vynal is definitely an option. I'm a bit fan of painting furniture too. I've seen a lot of lovely stuff done with Frenchic paint recently. It looks pricy, but I did our front door using just a tester pot so it goes a long way. When we lived in our last house I painted a sideboard to match the kitchen, that was using Wilkos own furniture paint.

Lots of options, but please show us what you decide to do!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 13:10 

I’d rather paint it matte, but I would be doubtful that anything would stick to that glossy surface.

I’m not sure could make a good job covering them with vinyl because of the strange fake mouldings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 13:12 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
I’d rather paint it matte, but I would be doubtful that anything would stick to that glossy surface.

I’m not sure could make a good job covering them with vinyl because of the strange fake mouldings.

You can just sand it down to key it. I've painted laminated stuff before doing that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 13:14 

I thought/hoped that, but was worried because this was just so, so, so mirror-shine shiny rather than just plain laminate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 13:17 

I'm getting real Frasier Crane vibes from those doors.

But free large wardrobe - win! You could get some mirrors but custom sizing might get pricey and you'd have to see if the doors could take the weight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 13:25 

*whispers* I hate mirrored wardrobes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 13:28 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
I thought/hoped that, but was worried because this was just so, so, so mirror-shine shiny rather than just plain laminate.

Are the sides or inside of the doors the same? If so you could do a tester patch where it can't be seen maybe? Sand, wipe, primer, paint.

I'd just do it with emulsion too, to check that it takes okay before spending on the proper paint.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 13:36 

They aren’t, no. Inside it’s standard white laminate.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 14:13 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
They aren’t, no. Inside it’s standard white laminate.

I'd think with a fine enough sandpaper you would be alright, but that's just a personal opinion from a novice, so don't pay it too much attention! :D

@dbsnappa is probably your go to guy for professional advice on this one. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 14:15 
ugvm'er at heart...

Decoupage? Fabric?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 14:27 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I know the appearance of the wardrobes is niggling, but they look in good condition, so if it was my gaff I'd probably just leave them alone, because I'm only ever awake in my bedroom for about two minutes at a time and I don't really notice the decor. Typical bloke, I know.

Great garden, by the way. We spend a huge amount of our spare time in ours, even if we're just gazing at the clouds. We always feel less stressed when the weather is good enough to sit out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 16:05 
Excellent Painter

Kern wrote:
I'm getting real Frasier Crane vibes from those doors.

But free large wardrobe - win! You could get some mirrors but custom sizing might get pricey and you'd have to see if the doors could take the weight.

Cut to size mirrors are very cheap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 18:47 

Trooper wrote:
Decoupage? Fabric?

I think that might be a bit too ‘craft-y’ for such a large piece of furniture that dominates the room. I might try the paint idea in an inconspicuous area... The problem is... the whole thing is a bit conspicuous!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 18:48 

I did find this in the garage which I LOVE, however.

It’s a bit of a shame but it looks like the wind-up clock mechanism has seized up from neglect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 18:52 
Master of dodgy spelling....

That looks a fab project.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 18:53 

Looks like it’s actually an old alarm clock!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-ret ... 890.l49292

If I could find one of those clocks for an affordable price I’d make that look really fun. I love it.

Edit: one that was affordable and works would be good. £50 for a broken clock? I assume it’s broken as it winds up snd ticks, which seems odd to specify if it worked.

I need Steve from The Repair Shop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 18:56 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Could you not just change the clock mechanism, rather than the whole clock?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 19:48 

KovacsC wrote:
Could you not just change the clock mechanism, rather than the whole clock?

I’ve fitted those silly little battery clock mechanisms to things before. Do you mean that?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 22:02 

krazywookie wrote:
Vinyl! Nicky's vinyl covered the whole kitchen again. It looks ok and it's perfect for big flat surfaces like those

I’ve been Googling ‘Nicky’s vinyl’ for twenty minutes utes, to no avail, before realising that’s probably the name of Lady Wookie.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 22:11 

Mimi wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

I’ve been Googling ‘Nicky’s vinyl’ for twenty minutes utes, to no avail, before realising that’s probably the name of Lady Wookie.

Oops, correct.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 22:20 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
I did find this in the garage which I LOVE, however.

It’s a bit of a shame but it looks like the wind-up clock mechanism has seized up from neglect.

That looks awesome! Did you go over too?

The big question, were there any curtain rails?! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 22:27 

Yes, Darwin and I went over for half an hour this afternoon. And there were (some) curtain rails! Some they’ve taken, some they’ve left. I’m going to take the stepladder next time and start pulling all the hooks out of the walls.

Reply to topic  [ 2615 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 53  Next