Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:25 

The BBC do have this for checking specific rules by postcode:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54373904

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:26 
UltraMod

It’s very clear and easy to understand. 1, 2 and 3 used to equate to Low, Medium and High, but now they are equivalent to Medium, High and Very High.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:28 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Yes, I consult that regularly as I'm damned if I can remember what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing. However, I still behave as though we're in full lockdown anyway, then I don't really need to worry about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:32 

Warhead wrote:
Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Still fucking furious.

Please know I ask this only with curiosity, no judgement, but what/who are you furious with/about?

We are moving into tier two tomorrow it seems. On a personal note we were looking forwards to seeing my Ma in a couple of weeks, so disappointed to have to cancel that.

To answer your question, in my case, just about everything.

I guess I’ve felt sad, and scared, but not much anger (apart from for those who just refuse to make their own small sacrifice or the good of others: those that can wear a mask but won’t, those that spread misinformation knowingly, those that go on a day trip whilst ill, those that boast of shaking as many Covid patients’ hands as they can. But I don’t feel generally angry. I do feel that my general trust in the goodness of people has dropped to an all time low, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:52 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Still fucking furious.

Please know I ask this only with curiosity, no judgement, but what/who are you furious with/about?

We are moving into tier two tomorrow it seems. On a personal note we were looking forwards to seeing my Ma in a couple of weeks, so disappointed to have to cancel that.

How absolutely piss poor the top tier government has been in handling all of this. It's a failure of running a state on a massive scale. There's a clear timeline of failures, an lack of accountability, no responsibility, an absolute lack of competence, and an inability to learn. They have been paralysed by not wanting to be unpopular, and this has fucked decision making.

I honesty wouldn't mind being ruled by cunts if they were competent cunts, but this drivel of wankers is beyond anything anyone ever deserves. Half of the Chuckle Brothers could have done a better job, and it isn't the half that would have been available for panto this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:52 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Still fucking furious.

To answer your question, in my case, just about everything.

I guess I’ve felt sad, and scared, but not much anger (apart from for those who just refuse to make their own small sacrifice or the good of others: those that can wear a mask but won’t, those that spread misinformation knowingly, those that go on a day trip whilst ill, those that boast of shaking as many Covid patients’ hands as they can. But I don’t feel generally angry. I do feel that my general trust in the goodness of people has dropped to an all time low, though.

I was angry before Corona virus was even a glint in a Chinese bat's eye. It's one of those things that increases with age.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:56 
Comfortably Dumb

MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Still fucking furious.

How absolutely piss poor the top tier government has been in handling all of this. It's a failure of running a state on a massive scale. There's a clear timeline of failures, an lack of accountability, no responsibility, an absolute lack of competence, and an inability to learn. They have been paralysed by not wanting to be unpopular, and this has fucked decision making.

I honesty wouldn't mind being ruled by cunts if they were competent cunts, but this drivel of wankers is beyond anything anyone ever deserves. Half of the Chuckle Brothers could have done a better job, and it isn't the half that would have been available for panto this year.

And on top of that, stuff like the PPE Medpro news that has been coming out just adds to the anger. Quite happy to sacrifice lives to make their friends a bit of extra cash.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:03 

MaliA wrote:
I honesty wouldn't mind being ruled by cunts if they were competent cunts, but this drivel of wankers is beyond anything anyone ever deserves.

This. Johnson is useless, but that wouldn't be so bad if he was surrounded by competence. Sadly, his Cabinet was selected solely on their views on Brexit and those most capable of actually governing are either on the backbenches or no longer in Parliament. His Churchill fantasy was cringeworthy at first but now it's downright insulting.

The less said about Mr Cummings and his megamind weirdo superforecasters the better, really.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:10 

MaliA wrote:
Half of the Chuckle Brothers could have done a better job, and it isn't the half that would have been available for panto this year.

This made me lol, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:14 

I get that, Mali. I thought you meant you were angry that they were applying extra restrictions now. I completely get your anger.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:40 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Jem wrote:
I think Manchester is one of the places in local lockdown, isn't it? I don't know, completely lost track of how everything works now.

I think this is the problem. It is too comoplicated.

@malc did you do the rules (kidding)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:52 

It's not really that complicated. I think a lot of people saying that just can't be arsed with the rules.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:55 
UltraMod

Mr Chonks wrote:
It’s very clear and easy to understand. 1, 2 and 3 used to equate to Low, Medium and High, but now they are equivalent to Medium, High and Very High.

Just to be clear, I am being sarcastic. I am not markg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Chonks wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

What level of sarcasm were you using?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:59 
UltraMod

Trooper wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

What level of sarcasm were you using?

Level C - Average

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:00 

Mr Chonks wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Okay, but the only people I have spoken to who don't know the what the rules are for our area clearly have absolutely zero fucking interest in finding out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:01 
Isn't that lovely?

KovacsC wrote:
Jem wrote:
I think Manchester is one of the places in local lockdown, isn't it? I don't know, completely lost track of how everything works now.

I think this is the problem. It is too comoplicated.

@malc did you do the rules (kidding)

Hah!

I'm all for fun and interesting rules for games and quizzes and so on, not so much for health and safety rules!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:07 

markg wrote:
It's not really that complicated. I think a lot of people saying that just can't be arsed with the rules.

I don’t think it’s particularly complicated, either, but it is difficult to keep up with the general picture of restrictions in different parts of the U.K. I think as long as you have easy access to what local restrictions are in place, however (local news, council websites, the BBC lookup) then the extent of personal restrictions that you have to apply yourself to are relatively simple.

Simple does not equal sensible, though. A friend of mine in Merseyside can sit with 60 other workers in a call centre, but as she says she works late at night, so everyone tends to wait to walk together after the shift as they are not comfortable travelling alone at night. That’s now not allowed as soon as they are out in the open air (else Priti Patel will have them done for mingling). It’s fine when they are sitting in the cell centre, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:21 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
markg wrote:

I don’t think it’s particularly complicated, either, but it is difficult to keep up with the general picture of restrictions in different parts of the U.K.

This.

It's not that I "can't be arsed", I just don't know the ins and outs of restrictions in an area I don't even live in :shrug:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 13:26 

This is what gives me a headache. I don’t know if it’s the majority attitude or just the most vocal, but every council post that is made about Covid guidance, restrictions, etc, is met with a mixture of laughing emojis and endless comments like this:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 13:46 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
This is what gives me a headache. I don’t know if it’s the majority attitude or just the most vocal, but every council post that is made about Covid guidance, restrictions, etc, is met with a mixture of laughing emojis and endless comments like this:

The government surrendered a huge amount of credibility and a lot of the ability to have people listen to them after it came out that Cummings had broken the rules.

It lost even more when nothing happened as a result.

Comments like that are a result of the government's actions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 13:47 
Gogmagog

Also, "I, for one" really annoys me. Like when people say "partake" when they offer you drugs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 13:49 

My brother said almost the same thing. But it takes a massive leap from ‘Cummings broke his own rules, he should be fired’ to thinking if nobody wears a mask and we all go about holding large gatherings that it all just goes away, Boris throws his hands up and says ‘ahhh! You got me, old chap! There wasn’t a virus. What a jolly jape this was!’ That’s just straight into deep conspiracy theorist territory.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 14:00 
Excellent Painter

Gah. Looks like a third person I know is going to the choir eternal with this. Gloria is my sister’s former mother in law. I’ve known her for over 40 years and only saw her about six weeks ago. Her daughter has been called to the hospital this afternoon to say goodbye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 14:02 

I’m so sorry, DB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 14:02 
Comfortably Dumb

Mimi wrote:
My brother said almost the same thing. But it takes a massive leap from ‘Cummings broke his own rules, he should be fired’ to thinking if nobody wears a mask and we all go about holding large gatherings that it all just goes away, Boris throws his hands up and says ‘ahhh! You got me, old chap! There wasn’t a virus. What a jolly jape this was!’ That’s just straight into deep conspiracy theorist territory.

My boss brought the subject up the other day (I've learnt not to with him) and he said he's evenly split on whether to believe various conspiracy theories (about controlling the population) or science and would prefer if we tried to push for herd immunity. He argues that he's entitled to his opinion, but I pointed out that although he is, if he's wrong, lots more will die, whereas if those cautiously following the science are wrong, at least people will be safer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 14:05 
Best
Board Mother

DBSnappa wrote:
Gah. Looks like a third person I know is going to the choir eternal with this. Gloria is my sister’s former mother in law. I’ve known her for over 40 years and only saw her about six weeks ago. Her daughter has been called to the hospital this afternoon to say goodbye

Sorry to hear this DB. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 14:06 

Why do people state that they are entitled to an opinion? It almost sounds like they are explaining that they are allowed to say something even though they know it’s wrong.

Also, feeling entitled to an opinion is not the same as having an entitlement to people to listen to you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 15:17 
Unpossible!

The MD of MrsP's company is in critical condition with Covid and is not expected to recover. He's 60. I know this because he threw himself a 60th birthday party just over a month ago and invited dozens of close friends and family.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 16:16 

DavPaz wrote:
The MD of MrsP's company is in critical condition with Covid and is not expected to recover. He's 60. I know this because he threw himself a 60th birthday party just over a month ago and invited dozens of close friends and family.

I realise empathy is a virtue but fuck me, some people make it difficult to summon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 16:26 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:

Empty vessels make the most noise, Meems. That can be applied to most Facebook comments. I had to unfollow 'help' pages on FB for this reason.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 16:34 
Unpossible!

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I realise empathy is a virtue but fuck me, some people make it difficult to summon.

Tell me about it. He's a nice fella, but it's to disagree with the fact he may have dug his own grave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 17:08 
sneering elitist

My son has to isolate for 14 days because someone in his class has a confirmed case.

:'(

Apparently the rest of us don't have to isolate as per the rules, but I feel like that's ... silly? :S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 17:14 

I’m sorry to hear that, Jem. I’ll be honest; most parents I know have had at least one isolating kid now.

I’ve got a friend with a strange case. She was contacted to be part of the random testing sample, as I was a few weeks ago.

Her sample came back positive. She is totally asymptomatic.

She’s been isolating with her husband and child until
today when the isolation period ended. She feels as well as she’s ever done, but her husband has currently got a bad stomach. But he can’t have a test as it isn’t one of the three main symptoms, so they can now go about life as normal without knowing if she is no longer contagious or if her husband and child might now have it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 17:23 
sneering elitist

Selfishly, it just puts me in the weird position of whether or not I should continue doing my normal activities, i.e. do I go to the gym? Strictly speaking I can as per the rules, but it's not life or death so I probably shouldn't just in case... having two weeks off would probably mess up my progress for my comp though, etc etc

Your friends case is scary! My biggest fear - randomly having it and spreading it to people while being completely unaware. From a risk factor point of view, I would likely be fine if I got it (fit, healthy, no pre-existing conditions etc) but how many do I see on a daily basis that can say the same?

Ugh, it's all shit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 17:34 

Mimi wrote:
I’ve got a friend with a strange case. She was contacted to be part of the random testing sample, as I was a few weeks ago.

These tests have a false positive rate, so she might not have it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 17:47 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mimi wrote:

These tests have a false positive rate, so she might not have it at all.

Yes, I know she looked it up and said that the false positive rate is extremely small in comparison to the false negative rate, it would seem. Also, the false positive rate is even smaller in comparison to the number of asymptomatic carriers/spreaders, so I’m not sure knowing that there is a tiny chance it was a false positive is that much comfort/use as far as deciding a course of action.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 17:56 

I do t know that these constantly changing graphics help much. Sometimes distilling things down to their simplest form makes things less clear.

Here ‘overnight stays’ is not defined. I assume they mean hotels, and such, but you can imagine that would be confusing to someone hoping to visit their parents for the weekend. Similarly, ‘bubbles’. I think people have forgotten or were never aware of how the bubbles work. Someone today suggested that my mother join my bubble, but she lives with her partner, and people living in households with more than one adult aren’t permitted to make a support bubble with another household.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 20:40 
Decapodian

Mr Chonks wrote:

Odd isn't it. Especially as we had 5 levels not long ago

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 13:31 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Huge crowds gather in city centre as pubs shut just hours before new lockdown.

Liverpool. What a surprise. I didn't see that coming, did you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 13:32 

Well, that would have happened anywhere. It's obvious really, and it baffles me that they don't seem to try and do anything to mitigate it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 13:45 
Noob as of 6/8/10

In certain big cities, yes, it's sure to happen. Is it because they really don't think they'll be infected, is it an act of defiance, or mob hysteria, or are they herd immunity advocates?

Trying to mitigate may just provoke them to full rioting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 13:48 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Apparently Boris and Co. are considering promoting Manchester to tier 1, but Andy Burnham is resisting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 13:50 

Warhead wrote:
In certain big cities, yes, it's sure to happen. Is it because they really don't think they'll be infected, is it an act of defiance, or mob hysteria, or are they herd immunity advocates?

Dount it, they're probably mostly just pissed, if the pubs were shut they wouldn't even be there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 13:59 
sneering elitist

Warhead wrote:
Apparently Boris and Co. are considering promoting Manchester to tier 1, but Andy Burnham is resisting.

Because he doesn't think people are being adequately financially supported in tier 3, I gather.

Here's a statement they've ("The Leaders of all ten councils in Greater Manchester, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham and Deputy Mayor Baroness Bev Hughes") released today -
https://www.greatermanchester-ca.gov.uk ... trictions/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 14:11 
Noob as of 6/8/10

markg wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Dount it, they're probably mostly just pissed, if the pubs were shut they wouldn't even be there.

If the pubs had already shut, them Scousers would probably still have gathered for a final blast, bringing their own booze with them and some Mancs will probably do the same if we go to T1. Mass gatherings can easily turn nasty if there's a few nutters among them. It was fortunate that it didn't kick off, although one police car was attacked.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 14:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cras wrote:
It's the latter. The wording is crappy but if it pops up with that and nothing else, it's a warning of low risk exposure. It'll be something like passing someone in the street, compared to spending 20 minutes in close proximity. If it's high risk that means get tested and/or isolate, it'll tell you so in the notification and in the app.

Looks like this has been fixed, by the way. I got a "someone you have been near has reported being infected" followed by the below almost immediately

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 16:46 

It’s good they’ve made that a good sight clearer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 17:02 
Gogmagog

https://twitter.com/danieldaviesRPL/sta ... 0433430528

Pub owner* in NewBo not amused at the new regime.

* He's put literal millions of quid into New Brighton over the past few years, trying to do it up and get a vibe going. Best of luck to him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 17:24 

Is that Barry Chuckle up the scaffolding?

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 48  Next