Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 5
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 22:35 
Esoteric

This is one of the best co op games made so far. My buddy and I had a real riot like Craster and Doc. We were laughing all the way through it. Well, until we were getting mad at the frequency we were being squashed by cars :D

I have ordered New Dawn. Would have been rude not to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:13 
Bad Girl

It’s already annoyed me.

I spent good money on an ACOG sight for my AR-15 and accidentally swapped it in favour of a 1911. I was standing in so many bodies that I then swapped the 1911 for another AR lying on the ground but of course the standard grunt ARs don’t have a $1750* ACOG. But then you can’t swap an AR for an AR even if the AR is not the AR you want... so you have to swap your AR for a pistol and then swap the pistol for your AR with the lovely optics. Fucks sake, this is 2018 and it’s not like this is Ubisoft’s first fucking Far Cry game.

*Urgh, don’t get me going on the MTX crap cluttering the menu and overinflated cost of stuff. And the weapon line-up looks a little on the thin side? I hope there’s more to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:15 
Bad Girl

And why’s the wing mirror just a fucking black void? Jesus Christ.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Huh, I'm positive they have a reflection. Maybe a bug?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:34 

Satsuma wrote:
But then you can’t swap an AR for an AR even if the AR is not the AR you want...

I am quite certain this is wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The number of times I've accidentally picked up a shitty AR instead of my good AR (because of the same button being used for both loot and swap gun) suggests it is not the case. On PS4 at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:54 

Cras wrote:
(because of the same button being used for both loot and swap gun)

Now this, this is a valid compliant. Stupid interface.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:56 
Bad Girl

I’m clearly not wrong because I’m sat here doing it.

I did try it again just in case I was wrong though. I can definitively state that you cannot swap identical guns even if they’re not the same cause one has a sweet scope on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 23:59 
Bad Girl

Cras wrote:

And don’t forget it’s the same for ‘get into vehicle’ which funnily enough was what set in motion a chain of events that led to the juggling guns around so I can get back the one I wanted. It was just a pistol next to a car door I wanted in...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 0:04 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Cras wrote:

Now this, this is a valid compliant. Stupid interface.

In battlefield you use the same button to revive your squad mate, or swap your weapon with them.
So, not only do you lose your weapon (which you have modified to your own requirements) and pick up their weird ass setup, they feel exactly the same as you do about your fucked up getup, all while you are spending more time in the exposed open, swapping guns rather that reviving.
Once you are both standing up with the wrong guns, there is no button to drop them and swap them back.

Drives me fucking nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 0:16 

All this is practically telepathically seamless compared to the contortions required to drop guns in KF2, through.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 0:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Satsuma wrote:
I’m clearly not wrong because I’m sat here doing it.

I did try it again just in case I was wrong though. I can definitively state that you cannot swap identical guns even if they’re not the same cause one has a sweet scope on it.

Ah, identical guns might be different. You can definitely swap one AR for a different type of AR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 0:28 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
All this is practically telepathically seamless compared to the contortions required to drop guns in KF2, through.

You can drop guns?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 0:54 
Bad Girl

The enemies so far only carry one type of AR and it’s the only one I can buy too.

And fuck me the heavies can soak up bullets. This fucking guy at a base has eaten two fucking magazines and he still won’t take a perma nap. And he’s only got a tiny helmet. A helmet would struggle to stop a single 5.56 round and certainly not sustained gunfire in his bonce.

I’m enjoying it mind. I just love moaning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:52 

krazywookie wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

You can drop guns?

DON'T YOU DO THIS WOOK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 

Satsuma wrote:
I just love moaning.

You don't say.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 16:02 
Esoteric

It's not perfect, far from it. Sometimes my pal and I would spend nearly an hour getting it to work (like, showing the other player so we could start co op) and we had a couple of crashes and oddities but overall it was hella fun. Like, all of a sudden your buddy goes quiet. His character just stands there. "WTF are you doing dude?" "Shhhh, fishing" and then you just crack out your rod and have a fishing comp.

Lots of fun and some quite relaxing ways to piss away the hours tbh. For me? it was the best game of 2018. I've not really gotten into any Far Cry since the first one, FC2 was a yawn fest and I didn't like the idea of all of the crafting crap in 3. I bought all of them but never played.. I thought FC4 was full on co op but it wasn't so they finally got it right in 5.

I too picked up cacky guns once or twice but as soon as it happens you are usually more careful. It's a flaw though really, but not an insurmountable one. Which is kinda the best way to sum it up overall. Yes it has some small flaws and issues, but the fun and frolics to be had with a chum far outweighs any of it.

Oh, and the cat is the best IMO.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Oh yeah that was it. Testy Festie. We were literally crying with laughter. So hard, in fact, that we could not concentrate and got killed by a bull.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 18:07 
Bad Girl

Smacked an arrow through the cockpit of a chopper and deleted the pilot.

It made me feel like a boss.

I like it when games do this, too many games have the glass on vehicles like armoured tanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 18:18 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
Smacked an arrow through the cockpit of a chopper and deleted the pilot.

It made me feel like a boss.

I like it when games do this, too many games have the glass on vehicles like armoured tanks.

Yup, a whole crap ton of moments like that to be had tbh. It's like an early COD game, where you are the action hero. Very satisfying :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 18:11 
Bad Girl

The trees are rubbish in this. I’ve seen better trees in DayZ.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 18:16 
Bad Girl

And another thing, how come Far Cry 5 is so unambitious? There’s no weather effects? Gameplay-wise it’s just retreading old ground? And how come my mate doesn’t get his progress saved when he plays the game with me? Pfffft. Pfffft, I say.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 18:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Depends what you mean by progress. He gets xp and money, but not quest completion.

Which is how jump in co-op always works otherwise you could only play together if you were at the same point in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 18:47 
Bad Girl

I might see how main missions in coop might cause some headaches in progress if he’s not as far along as me but I don’t see why he’s got to complete side missions all over again when they’re all available from the start of this open world.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 18:49 
Bad Girl

In fact, now I think about it, why should he have to do main missions as well? Ghost Recon: Wildlands is drop in/out coop and that saves his progress for main missions when we played that. That’s an open world game AND that’s also made by Ubisoft with a similar structure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 18:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

How does it deal with you completing a main mission then dropping back to a game where you've not even unlocked that mission yet? If nothing else it would make a nonsense of the plot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 19:12 
Bad Girl

Well, to be fair, the story is about as in depth as Crackdown. There’s something like 13 generals over the map and you can do them in any order. Each area has something like 5 separate missions. Only once everyone is dead or neutralised do you unlock the final mission. If you do a mission in coop both get the mission checked off the list.

But isn’t that similar to Far Cry 5? But rather than 13 odd regions you’ve got 3 regions. There’s still a list of missions to complete in each region and, correct me if I’m wrong cause I haven’t completed a region yet, you only have to do so many main missions to unlock the boss fight - cause it’s got that bar that appears at the top of the screen to say how much influence you have over the region, and you fill that up with missions and random events and stuff? Why shouldn’t the coop partner get some of that bar filled up in each region playing in coop!? They could just make them do the boss fight in their own game. I don’t think it’s game breaking rocket science to come up with a way that doesn’t make your coop partner have to complete the entire game again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 19:13 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Maybe. But to be honest I wished those bars filled up slower. Completed each region when I had way more stuff I wanted to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
And another thing, how come Far Cry 5 is so unambitious? There’s no weather effects? Gameplay-wise it’s just retreading old ground? And how come my mate doesn’t get his progress saved when he plays the game with me? Pfffft. Pfffft, I say.

Ah yes, that was quite a sore point for us. We vowed, however, to play through it again on his save. But yes, that needs addressing that's not so good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 18:08 
Bad Girl

Done the top region. Yeah, that was pretty fun if uninspired.

I quite liked the idea behind the boss and the brain washing. I quite liked Cheeseburger an’ all. I quite enjoyed that bloke and his missing truck. Something is a little off though. I’d rather just destroy some outposts but they aren’t presenting much of a challenge. Especially when you realise that you just need to throw a proximity bomb at the heavies to make them fuck off, cause the amount of lead they soak up is daft as shit.

Hopefully the difficulty ramps up a bit from herein.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 15:46 
Bad Girl

STOP DESPAWNING MY HELICOPTER YOU FUCKING FUCKS. Liberate an outpost and your whips are gone in the wind.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 21:44 
Bad Girl

Hmm, that John boss fight was pretty underwhelming.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
He takes off in a plane and you chase him in your plane and shoot him down. Turns out he never fired a shot at me once. I just hammered the shit out him and he went down. Yawn. Worst still, at one point HE flew out of bounds (and probably not intentionally either he just kept flying) right off the map...I followed him and then the game respawns me cause I’m the dick for flying off the map!?

And then, worst still, for some reason, after he goes down it respawns me on the ground from the plane while the final chat with John goes on. No one told the enemies that were waiting around at this random spawn point so this random guy just walks straight through while he’s chatting. John hasn’t got any noticeable life threatening wounds but decides that’s his time to take a dirt nap, so he does, albeit with his eyes open like a fish. Once he’s sleeping, control is given back to me and it turns out I’ve been spawned into an enemy base and two heavy gunners riddle me with lead and a flamethrower guy torches my corpse.

It was a weird anti climatic ending for a boss that escalated rapidly after his crap death.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 21:57 
Bad Girl

Plus when I’m in an active area I can’t go 5 yards down a road without someone kicking off. I kinda like it but it’s a bit much sometimes. And the planes won’t fuck off either...like someone in a plane could spot me with alarming regularity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 22:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The plane flying companion is exceedingly helpful for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 23:49 
Bad Girl

Wow, bold ending.

Gotta big it up for that choice, braap braap. No wonder New Dawn was announced so soon - they were planning this all along. Still, it’s hard to complain when all the usual game ending tropes are blown out the window.

I kinda feel a bit warm and fuzzy about the game when I was certain it was a bit meh.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 23:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lots of hate around for the ending, I loved it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 0:08 
Bad Girl

Yeah I liked it.

What’s up with the day/night cycle though? I don’t think it’s working properly. I’ve got 26 hours clocked in but it turned to night about twice and I never saw a twilight or dawn. Maybe the next game is called New Dawn cause they didn’t put the fucking thing in this game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 0:41 
Bad Girl

Oh and the boss fights are utter trash.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 0:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yep

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:19 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
Plus when I’m in an active area I can’t go 5 yards down a road without someone kicking off. I kinda like it but it’s a bit much sometimes. And the planes won’t fuck off either...like someone in a plane could spot me with alarming regularity.

The difficultly in this game is odd. Firstly it's far too easy (even for me) and then it ramps up and before you know it you are dying more than you are living. The planes also pissed us off, but were specific to a boss and a region. So we just buggered off to another region and took up quests there instead. Didn't stop us being ran down every few minutes, but did make it slightly easier.

Eventually it does plateau, and we managed to finish it without too much fuss.

You're right about the boss fights, far too easy. Though tbh? by the time they came up we had just about had enough of being off our tits on meth so they came as a welcome relief lol.

And yeah, agreed.... I think they basically made New Dawn and then lopped the game down to sell it as two halves. I was perfectly happy with it though, as my buddy and I spent about 30 hours playing 5. None of it was rushed and some days we didn't even complete a main quest (was too busy doing side quests).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 17:02 
Bad Girl

Oh the explosions are top notch too.

And I think the average weapon sway for any of the ARs are too much, especially for the ACOG. It really takes the fun out of it when you miss a sneaky headshot and every nutter in the vicinity gets instantly aggroed. Or you still hit someone in the neck and they just shake it off. Ghost Recon: Wildlands gets it much better. If someone isn’t aggroed then a single bullet (on any difficulty) will drop someone as long as you hit them in the squishy parts. But if you miss a shot then an enemy might just go “what was that” and stay on alert until they get bored. But if you hit them, say, in the foot (or a nearby wall, say) then they’ll aggro and might alert others on the base. You’ll still get time to drop them before they alert everyone so a fuck up isn’t catastrophic. Then when you do aggro them and don’t switch them off then they start to alert the base. “Nearby” enemies get propped first rather than everyone so you don’t get the situation where everyone and their mum starts firing at your direction. But the alert stage spreads through the base. After the alert stage people take more bullets too so it turns into a fire fight. This is loads better than FC5 where one guy instantly alerts everyone into attack mode. What was I talking about? Oh yeah, the ACOG sight moves about too much. Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 17:05 
Bad Girl

The cougar is a fucking beast though. I want an attack cougar IRL.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 21:15 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
The cougar is a fucking beast though. I want an attack cougar IRL.

See, told you :p

Ed. Oh yeah have you set loads of stuff alight with a flame thrower yet? it's a great way to kill yourself :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 18:08 
Prince of Fops

OK, just remembered that not only is there a Far Cry 5 thread, it was actually me he started it.

Anyway, I'm very much enjoying this, but not enjoying the audio - anyone else have the problem on PS4 FC5 where the character voice audio is insanely low in the mix - no matter how low I make the other effects, it's barely audible?

I only use my TV for audio, no home cinema system or whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 18:26 
Unpossible!

Have you got it set to 5.1 audio perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 19:02 
Gogmagog

I'm getting cooler on this game. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem as fun as Far Cry three or four. I am not sure if it is the map, the lack of towers to climb, or maybe I am just not feeling games at the moment, but it seems an effort to enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 19:45 
Prince of Fops

DavPaz wrote:
Have you got it set to 5.1 audio perhaps?

No idea, will investigate. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 19:46 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
I'm getting cooler on this game. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem as fun as Far Cry three or four. I am not sure if it is the map, the lack of towers to climb, or maybe I am just not feeling games at the moment, but it seems an effort to enjoy.

I think I'm still at the sweet spot when I'm fairly early on, no map fatigue and am happily hoovering up side quests and ignoring the story missions.

Will see how I'm feeling when I get to the second or third Seed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:17 
Prince of Fops

Nearly sucked my first Seed dry. Went to Holland Valley first, John's area. Only a couple more outposts to do, and already took the Seed Ranch. Currently helping naked, bloody pastor escape from the church.

Have been enjoying air dropping into outposts, landing on the roof of a building and picking most people off with my silenced sniper, before calling in air support to mop up the waifs and strays.

Think I'll head to Faith's area next, though I suspect it's going to be heavy on the trippy interludes, which are typically my least favourite Far Cry trope.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:24 
Prince of Fops

I'm nearing the end game. Two regions down, and the final region nearly finished (Jacob's).

I've enjoyed it immensely, but moreso than other FC games, I'm experiencing diminishing returns as I near the end.

I'm now a walking tank, which makes encounters relatively easy to blast through, while remaining enjoyable. But the rinse and repeat structure of the three regions is painfully visible by the time you move onto the last region. The repeated kidnapping of your character (and the repeated failure of the Big Bads to simply execute you) really grates. I fully expect to finish Jacob's region with a race to the top of some kind of exploding structure, as I did in John's and Faith's.

And the Guns/Fangs for Hire don't really add much for me. You have so little control over their actions that really they're just there to reduce the number of enemies you get to actually deal with. So the enemies may as well not be there. Maybe their function is actually as a difficulty modifier, in which case I rescind my criticism.

And I've also noticed in my last two regions that when your progress bar hits about 75%, all the interesting quests disappear, and you're left with collect 'em ups or dross side quests to nudge the progress bar up to the point you can trigger the boss encounter. I spent most of last night fast travelling around the map, trying to find something interesting to do. Tedious.

I know that I've sucked it dry, but I've invested so much time into it that I want to see it through to the end. As ever with a Ubi game, would have been happy with it being 30% shorter.

Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3