Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 18:57 
Decapodian

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Strip Clubs generally have pretty cheap alcohol - their money comes from other revenues, after all. But not on Leicester Square.

Back when I worked in an office, the group nights out would sometimes end in the local strip club mainly because it was the only place still serving drinks at that hour. Also, my boss, when drunk, would always suggest going.

Which would have been my cue to leave, though I probably wouldn’t be there anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 19:18 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Strip Clubs generally have pretty cheap alcohol - their money comes from other revenues, after all. But not on Leicester Square.

Back when I worked in an office, the group nights out would sometimes end in the local strip club mainly because it was the only place still serving drinks at that hour. Also, my boss, when drunk, would always suggest going.

Which would have been my cue to leave, though I probably wouldn’t be there anyway.

Because you don’t work with Devilman and it’d be weird if you just rocked up on his work do?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:38 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Deeply cynical me says that today’s announcement by trump of “wear masks” and “this will get worse” has been deliberately timed in light of Election Day, knowing that Dems are more likely to heed this advice than republicans with regard to the anti mask shit both here and in other countries.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 20:42 

That big fire in London tonight apparently started in a bakery. Here’s hoping it ends the plague.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 20:57 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
That big fire in London tonight apparently started in a bakery. Here’s hoping it ends the plague.

King Charles 2nd took great interest in the Fire of London to the extent he was drawing up plans with officials to help stop it, and wandering about the city itself giving people money for working really hard fighting the inferno.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 18:42 
Isn't that lovely?

Went to Tesco with my mask, about a dozen people in the shop, 11 of them had masks on. One did not. No one seemed to say anything to him. I was outside the shop before I noticed, so didn't have the opportunity. Before that point I was thinking it's actually quite amazing that everyone just adapted and carried of with no real fuss. I almost wanted to hang around to see what, if anything, would have happened when he went to pay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 18:45 
UltraMod

Malc wrote:
Went to Tesco with my mask, about a dozen people in the shop, 11 of them had masks on. One did not. No one seemed to say anything to him. I was outside the shop before I noticed, so didn't have the opportunity. Before that point I was thinking it's actually quite amazing that everyone just adapted and carried of with no real fuss. I almost wanted to hang around to see what, if anything, would have happened when he went to pay

Nothing will happen. Shops have been told by their unions not to enforce the new law

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 18:48 
Sitting balls-back folder

I've bought masks. They're on my desk. The one I sat at for 8 hours today. Then I was in a rush to get to the shop and I forgot it. Shit. The guy in the shop was very sarcastic and the guy in the offy was more offhand, but FUCKIT. Keeping one in the car from now on.

Not least because of the missed Mortal Kombat references.
GET OVER HERE!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 18:54 
Isn't that lovely?

Mr Chonks wrote:
Malc wrote:

Nothing will happen. Shops have been told by their unions not to enforce the new law

Hopefully herd mask wearing will prevent anything too bad.

Also, I live in South West Devon, one of the least affected areas in the UK

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 21:37 
Gogmagog

https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1287120057928224768

In complete control

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:21 
sneering elitist

A guy that's big in the fitspo world for his "revolutionary" approach to building the glute muscles (Bret Contreras) has announced he has coronavirus and pretty much every single comment on his instagram post is a supposed miracle cure from an unqualified internet rando. I don't know why I found this surprising.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 20:22 
Decapodian

A chap I work with has come down with it. Fit and healthy in his 30s, so very much in the "should be nothing to worry about" category, but he's apparently feeling really rough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 19:01 
Excellent Member

my father in laws cancer has taken a turn for the worse
so we will probably drive to the uk in a week or two
we would be driving from NL to UK, the tunnel terminal being an iffy place maybe but otherwise we'd be in our metal box barring toilet facilities and petrol
steves parents have been in strict self isolation, but he is in hospital now, at least until next week thursday
they live in a village near Reading

can anyone give me an idea what the rules currently are in the uk?
where are you supposed to wear masks?
are we allowed to sleep at parent in laws house according to the rules?
we were planning to not go anywhere, I've hardly left the house since march, so I'm not prepared

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 19:29 

Hi Miki,

So sorry for the downturn in your father-in-law’s condition and dad reason for your trip.

You’ll need a mask in the hospital, in any shops and similar indoor areas, and any travel terminals and whilst travelling in anything other than your personal vehicle.

I don’t think even 1% of people could tell you the rules on who you can meet where, indoors or outdoors, or whether you can sleep over, but I found this which might answer questions?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nd-cant-do

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 19:48 
Excellent Member

Thank you very much mimi, that is very helpful and it actually does say it is allowed as we would be two households
edit though much would depend on if they will start chemo because if they do and he is home then we should not stay there and maybe not visit at all
it's all very upsetting and I dont know what to tell Katie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:04 
sneering elitist

So sorry to hear that miki - what a terrible time to have to deal with this (not that there's any right time for cancer, but hopefully you know what I mean :S ) Thinking of you all :luv:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:26 
Excellent Member

Jem wrote:
So sorry to hear that miki - what a terrible time to have to deal with this (not that there's any right time for cancer, but hopefully you know what I mean :S ) Thinking of you all :luv:
thank you! :luv:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:11 

Late last night, the government announced a new lockdown in the Greater Manchester area. I'm not sure letting this filter out at that hour is conducive to getting people onside, or adequately informing them on what they can or can't do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:38 

Is anyone else getting dreams where you’re out in public places (supermarkets, community centres, hospitals, art galleries are some of mine) and people keep coming up REALLY CLOSE , and it’s suddenly really crowded, and your mask has disappeared, and people are touching your hands, and you’re being made to pick things up... etc?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:18 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Not really.

I did have that Asda one where Martin Clunes tried to snog me. I'm getting lots of quite bizarre dreams, but not remembering all of them. I'm assuming it's my brain's way of dealing with all the crap lurking around at the back of my mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:32 
Noob as of 6/8/10

A wealthy retired friend of ours rang yesterday. He lives in Scotland and sometimes in Tenerife. He's been sailing his boat around the Scottish sea lochs with a variety of friends but is popping down to Manchester to see some of his relatives and called to see if we wanted to go out for a meal over the weekend.

My wife asked me what I thought about it, before she called him back.

I did try not to go full rant about it, but made it clear that:

a) We shouldn't be going anywhere that's not essential travel.

b) He's definitely not in our bubble.

c) He's been travelling about with people we don't know with the obvious possibility of getting infected.

d) Manchester's back in full lockdown as from yesterday because of a spike in cases of Covid.

e) Manchester's crowded with people who are not social distancing properly. I see them every day while I'm at work.

f) The bars, pubs and restaurants I've passed are not imposing distancing properly.

So she politely declined his kind offer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 14:29 
Excellent Member

One of my friends shoved a kids birthday party invite through our letterbox
I haven't found loving words yet to express "are you flipping insane?"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 15:15 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
Is anyone else getting dreams where you’re out in public places (supermarkets, community centres, hospitals, art galleries are some of mine) and people keep coming up REALLY CLOSE , and it’s suddenly really crowded, and your mask has disappeared, and people are touching your hands, and you’re being made to pick things up... etc?

Oddly enough no, as I am nominally anxious person. I did dream about catching it a few nights ago for the first time - the symptoms were exactly like if you were really drunk, for some reason.

I did have a good dream last night though. I dreamt they made a Deus Ex movie - y'know, that one about the the trenchcoat wearing conspiracy-bothering cyborg JC Denton who talks in an emotionless monotone in a cyberpunk near-future. They cast David Puddy from Seinfeld as the lead, and Larry David as his helicopter pilot.

It was the best dream ever. Still chuckling.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:30 

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status ... 6475719681

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:53 
Noob as of 6/8/10

The level of stupidity is going up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 13:12 
UltraMod

I had to check that wasn’t Alec Baldwin playing Trump

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 13:38 

What a complete fucking moron. If he wins again then all hope is officially lost.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 13:38 
Soopah red DS

I love the "we're better than... the world". Even he realises at that moment that, um, yes, you would be.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 19:29 
Decapodian

About a quarter of the people shopping in Merry Hill have no masks and are looking very smug about it all.
Stupid twats, but with zero enforcement it’s no surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 19:42 
ugvm'er at heart...

Northampton has gone from 10% masks to 99% masks, which was a surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 19:55 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
About a quarter of the people shopping in Merry Hill have no masks and are looking very smug about it all.
Stupid twats, but with zero enforcement it’s no surprise.

I was in Merry Hill today too! I wore a mask though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 20:18 

That’s why he didn’t recognise you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 20:37 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:
That’s why he didn’t recognise you.

Indeed, and The Vision is one of the very few Beexers that I've met

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 21:50 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm not sure how you didn't recognise me?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 21:56 

A few months ago the security guards would have you out of there for dressing like that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 22:04 
chewbacca -future arc welder

It's causing havoc in my shop, I'm ending up in conversation with complete time-wasters because I don't recognise them early enough to look busy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:49 
Hibernating Druid

If they’re lingering start coughing at them.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 13:36 
Noob as of 6/8/10

https://goodlawproject.org/news/the-ppe-fiasco/

And then this, a copy of an email from the project, sent to a friend of mine, outlining specific shenanigans.

"The Government awarded a PPE contract worth £252 million to Ayanda Capital Limited, a ‘family office’ owned through a tax haven in Mauritius, with connections to Liz Truss. It is the largest PPE contract we have seen to date.

In response to judicial review proceedings issued by Good Law Project, the Government has admitted that the 50 million FFP2 masks they purchased from Ayanda Capital – for a price that we calculate to be between £156m and £177m – “will not be used in the NHS” because “there was concern as to whether the[y]… provided an adequate fixing.”

So, unless Government finds another use for, or seeks to sell, those unsuitable masks, that money has been wasted. And as for the remaining 150 million Type IIR masks purchased from Ayanda Capital? Government has admitted they also require further testing and have not been released for use in the NHS.

We have also unearthed another absolutely remarkable feature of the £252 million Ayanda contract. Matt Hancock’s lawyers have now admitted they planned to enter into that contract with a £100 company wholly owned by Liz Truss' adviser Andrew Mills and his wife. Mr Mills asked - and Government agreed - to enter into it with Ayanda instead because the £100 company (Prospermill Limited) didn’t have “international payment infrastructure.” Just how much has this arrangement prospered Mills?

Good Law Project and EveryDoctor has now issued three sets of judicial review proceedings in relation to the procurement of PPE - with a pest controller, a confectioner, and Ayanda/Prospermill. Not one of those contracts has resulted in any PPE yet being released for use in the NHS. The entirety of the PPE delivered under these three contracts is either untested or has already been found to be unusable.

These are the facts – and they are not disputed.

The more we scratch the surface of the PPE fiasco, the more shocking the details that emerge. If we are to prevent more PPE failures and protect public funds, we need proper answers from this Government"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 22:18 
Excellent Member

So we were going to drive to the uk tomorrow
but the UK put NL on the quarantine list so we are not
we found out yesterday morning, scrambled around for alternatives, but there aren't any
it's been a rollercoaster of emotions
luckily father in laws scan and test result showed a problem they can fix with an operation - it won't cure his cancer in any way but will hopefully give him back his quality of life and hopefully he'll be around for another while
we all feared that his deterioration was due to his cancer spreading so this is so much better news
still, we wanted to go see them and now we cant and is sucks so hard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 14:26 
sneering elitist

Good news about the op Miki, although sorry to hear you're affected by the latest round of quarantine zone updates. It's all a bit bloody shit at the minute. Cross fingers the operation goes well. :luv:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 19:47 
Excellent Member

thanks Jem :luv: he hasn't got a date yet so fingers crossed for some speed. Katie was crying a lot last night, upset about not going and worried about grandad, but today we skyped with them and he was larking about with her so that helped a lot. Glad to see him more cheerful and energetic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 21:05 

That’s really positive, especially for Katie. We’ll keep good hope that the surgery helps, and all remain thankful that technology is amazing and helps us keep in contact when we are physically apart xx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 21:23 
Numbskull

miki wrote:
So we were going to drive to the uk tomorrow
but the UK put NL on the quarantine list so we are not
we found out yesterday morning, scrambled around for alternatives, but there aren't any
it's been a rollercoaster of emotions
luckily father in laws scan and test result showed a problem they can fix with an operation - it won't cure his cancer in any way but will hopefully give him back his quality of life and hopefully he'll be around for another while
we all feared that his deterioration was due to his cancer spreading so this is so much better news
still, we wanted to go see them and now we cant and is sucks so hard

Just spotted this thread, I'm afraid I've been a bit obsessed with my own troubles lately and have probably missed a fair few things.

I'm so glad that you have something approaching good news, and can totally understand where you're coming from, especially the rollercoaster of emotions.. For what it's worth, I can send you massive love and hugs from both of us x

Also, I didn't notice you were in the Netherlands. We're practically neighbours. Sort of. Ish. Again, love and hugs from me and Hanna xxx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 
Excellent Member

aww thank you so much MrC and Hanna! xxx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:53 
Numbskull

miki wrote:

You're more than welcome. I'm certain this applies to almost everyone on here, that we're there whenever you need us. Just thought that needed to be said, however obvious it might be x

P.S. the name's Colin btw. I don't mind making that public, Google and the like probably already own my soul :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 13:16 
Excellent Member

My name is Mirjana but all Brits and Bosnians I know call me Miki
I seriously wonder if my inlaws could tell you my real name :shrug:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 13:43 
Decapodian

MrC wrote:
miki wrote:

You're more than welcome. I'm certain this applies to almost everyone on here, that we're there whenever you need us. Just thought that needed to be said, however obvious it might be x

P.S. the name's Colin btw. I don't mind making that public, Google and the like probably already own my soul :)

MrC suddenly sounds a bit less glamorous than I was imagining. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 13:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
MrC wrote:
miki wrote:

MrC suddenly sounds a bit less glamorous than I was imagining. :)

Caesar? Cornelius? Cary? Nope, Colin.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:luv:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 13:56 

I now picture MrC as Colin Robinson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 14:02 
Numbskull

Bugger! I wrote a reply to Zoidberg's comment, and it didn't register, but boy am I regretting that now :) Erm... it's just my stage name...or something. Or, erm, maybe I was lying and it is really Cary or Cornelius...

I have no idea who Colin Robinson is, but strangely he looks just like me. Ish (he doesn't really, I'm less glamorous :) ) - probably because he appears to have nicked my glasses (and coloured them green).

@Miki - that's a lovely name.

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 48  Next