Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 22:47 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Ant Man and The Wasp is brilliant. Laugh out loud funny and super adventure times.

It's great, and in the Top 5 MCU films.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:34 
Excellent Member

Hello does anyone know where I could get a good file converter for free which actually works? I need to convert some files to watch movies. Now I found this tool will this be the only right choice?

Last edited by Cras on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:49, edited 1 time in total.
Removed link - poster is dodgy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 
Excellent Member

Function wrote:
Hello does anyone know where I could get a good file converter for free which actually works? I need to convert some files to watch movies. Now I found this tool will this be the only right choice?

Converting video files is rarely a trivial thing, you'd be better off finding a way to watch them in their current format. What's the issue there in case we can help?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Handbrake is a good video convertor. I've used it a fair bit and it's free.

It is a bit of a faff though so I'd agree with Bamba. It's best to figure out a way to watch them in their current format.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:08 
Prince of Fops

Spam for breakfast. Mmmm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 
Unpossible!

I do wonder why spammers bother with Beex. It has to be a real person doing it as well

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 14:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We rank fairly well for some keywords, and I guess they want part of that action.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 14:20 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
We rank fairly well for some keywords, and I guess they want part of that action.

We haven't had a search keyword list for a while

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 17:12 
Rude Belittler

We're high in the all important "belm" category.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 18:04 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Turns out that sticking a CDN in front of Beex has fucked the analytics, so no list I'm afraid :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 18:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's nippy, though:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 18:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
Turns out that sticking a CDN in front of Beex has fucked the analytics, so no list I'm afraid :(

I realised that doesn't make sense, as Analytics is run at the client side. I've fiddled and we should have some results soon.

RemindMe! 1 month

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 23:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

An early preview!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 23:18 
Unpossible!

Interesting

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 23:29 
Gogmagog

Avengers Endgame: I cried for three hours. Still brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 14:35 
Rude Belittler

It Chapter 2: it was pretty good, but not nearly as good as the first part.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 15:08 
Skillmeister

Pundabaya wrote:
It Chapter 2: it was pretty good, but not nearly as good as the first part.

I agree. S'funny how everyone became rich and/or famous when they grew up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 15:34 
Rude Belittler

It seemed like way more played for laughs. It sort of makes sense, in that Pennywise just isn't as scary for the adults, who've already beaten him once. And the first part isn't devoid of black comedy and neither is the book for that matter. I guess the adults came off as too world-weary and cynical.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 16:57 
Skillmeister

My main problem with it was the lack of creepy horror. There was one bit that was used as the teaser that got the hairs raising, but the rest was just big monster smashy smashy chasing. Which was cack.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 15:50 
Hello Hello Hello

RAMBO: LAST BLOOD has turned up on Amazon Prime and I was in the mood for something undemanding so I watched it last night.

PLOT:

Rambo has found some semblance of peace living on his deceased father's Arizonan horse ranch, with his old friend Maria and her granddaughter Gabrielle, who has sort of become Rambo's adopted daughter because her mum died of cancer and her father was a piece of violent shit who absconded to Mexico.

Rambo is still TROUBLED by his past and maintains a batshit crazy network of tunnels underneath the ranch, where he keeps fucktons of weapons and makes knives and has flashbacks and stuff.

Via a friend who lives in Mexico, Gabrielle hears news of her father's location in Mexico and despite the protests of Maria and Rambo, goes there to find him. Her piece of shit father turns out to be a piece of shit and says piece of shit things to her, and then she is double-crossed by her friend and kidnapped by EVIL MEXICANS who drug her and prostitute her out in their brothel. '40 or 50 men a night' is expected of her, if required.

Rambo goes to save her and gets his ass kicked because he has underestimated the evil Mexicans.

He is nursed back to health by a Mexican journalist whose sister befell the same fate as Gabrielle.

RAMBO ENTERS REVENGE MODE. There is some revenge in Mexico to rescue Gabrielle, and then more revenge back on his Arizonan Kill Factory, once he has lured the rest of the Evil Mexicans there.

Basically there is a lot of revenge. We know this is Rambo's motivation because he says, 'I want revenge'.

REVIEW:

It's not a terrible film. It establishes the characters nicely enough, I bought into Rambo's motivations and his actions made sense in the world it created (so, y'know, it's got that over TLOU2), it's pretty nicely shot, the acting and writing does the job, the effects are good and they clearly had a decent enough budget, and when Rambo gets into ass-kicking mode it's just a case of strapping in and watching Stallone still do a credible job of selling biblical vengeance.

Hammer kills, beheadings, multiple shotgun headshots, exploding bodies, bits getting chopped off people, Rambo CUTTING THE BEATING HEART OUT OF A BADDIE AND SHOWING IT TO HIM, a kill room that looks like something out of Mortal Kombat and general insane levels of revenge violence, Rambo is pissed off and he isn't afraid to show it, it'll take more than a cup of Ovaltine to fix this shit.

It's a bit CGI-esque in places but either there are a decent number of practical effects in there too and/or the CGI manages to not look too much like CGI.

Rest assured, all the stuff that the film sets up in his underground tunnel network, and indeed the A-Team style montage of him making all his traps and general kill machines down there, is paid off in fine style.

The runtime is a mere 89 minutes and about 10 minutes of that is credits, so the film definitely moves along at a brisk pace.

The violence is squishy and brutal, but Mrs Hearthly was half-watching it whilst playing Animal Crossing on the Switch and she didn't have a problem with it, TBH it's sort of a bit cartoony in some regards, such is its excess.

As a straightforward revenge tale that actually manages to bring along just enough heft in the character and story department, you could do worse than this. Ignore the critic review scores because they were being all snooty about it, the viewer review scores are a bit more like it.

Let's be clear however that this film is a million miles removed from FIRST BLOOD, which is one of my favourite films ever (I rewatch it every 3-4 years or so), and indeed the Rambo we see in LAST BLOOD is just Rambo in name only really. This is not a soulful contemplation of what happens when a man who is made into a killing machine finds that the country he fought for has left him behind, and indeed actively rejects him.

705/1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 19:59 
Bad Girl

Quote:
It's not a terrible film.

Wrong.

Quote:
it's pretty nicely shot

Wrong.

Quote:
the acting and writing does the job

Wrong.

Quote:

the effects are good

Wrong.

Quote:

...the CGI manages to not look too much like CGI.

Wrong.

Quote:
As a straightforward revenge tale that actually manages to bring along just enough heft in the character and story department, you could do worse than this.

Wrong.

Quote:

Ignore the critic review scores because they were being all snooty about it, the viewer review scores are a bit more like it.

Wrong.

Quote:

Let's be clear however that this film is a million miles removed from FIRST BLOOD, which is one of my favourite films ever (I rewatch it every 3-4 years or so), and indeed the Rambo we see in LAST BLOOD is just Rambo in name only really.

Well, at least that’s right.

This film is so bad and so boring and so hackneyed that my dad watched it and even he thought it was terrible. But you’ve got to know my dad for that to work...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 20:01 
Bad Girl

And I’m not picking on you just because you don’t like TLOU2 or nowt. Honestly, this was the worst shit I’ve watched in quite some time. I made some comments as I was watching because it was that bad.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... o#p1034325

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 21:00 

Yeah, it's a stinker.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 22:28 
Hello Hello Hello

For what it was, I thought it was alright. I went in with low expectations as I knew it'd been mauled by the critics, albeit more liked by the audience.

Moreover, aside from First Blood, which is toweringly brilliant, the other two 'old' Rambo films are both crap, and the other 'new' Rambo film is a wholly different beast, mostly interesting because of the ultra-violence.

As such I wasn't expecting any sort of cinematic masterpiece with Last Blood, what I was expecting was a fairly basic revenge tale, reasonably well told, with Stallone holding the screen (as he still can) and totally murdering the fuck out of REALLY BAD BADDIES.

I also like the way it gets it all done in under 90 minutes, or 80 minutes, less the credits. (I think Satsuma had the international version by the sounds of it, the UK/US releases cut out the rescue sequence at the start.)

Most importantly for a revenge tale though, I bought the relationship between Rambo and Gabrielle, I think they did just enough to establish it, and hang the rest of the film off.

So yes, for some decent grindhouse style fun, I thought it was fine.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 22:31 
Isn't that lovely?

Watched it with my wife (she watched First blood for the first time earlier this year, and we watched the others over a couple of months).

We both quite liked it. Rambo meets Taken meets the A-team (in montage not in deaths!). It's not going to win any awards or anything, but perfect turn your mind off fodder. And pretty much exactly what I was expecting when I started watching.

Looking forward to Rambo Last Blood Part 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:52 
Bad Girl

If you’re looking for a brains-off action film then Last Blood commits the cardinal sin of being just ... boring. Last Blood has zero action until the last 10 minutes and Stallone doesn’t have the chops to sustain a drama as trite and as poorly written as this is. NuRambo had a nice balance of action and moments where you could fiddle on your phone and catch up with Facebook until the next wave of ultra violence. Last Blood doesn’t.

Plus Rambo living in a Vietcong style tunnel system under his farmhouse in the states was just vapid shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Satsuma wrote:
If you’re looking for a brains-off action film then Last Blood commits the cardinal sin of being just ... boring. Last Blood has zero action until the last 10 minutes and Stallone doesn’t have the chops to sustain a drama as trite and as poorly written as this is. NuRambo had a nice balance of action and moments where you could fiddle on your phone and catch up with Facebook until the next wave of ultra violence. Last Blood doesn’t.

Plus Rambo living in a Vietcong style tunnel system under his farmhouse in the states was just vapid shit.

Zero action until the last ten minutes? That's just patently, factually untrue. I mean, Rambo is ripping out an EVIL MEXICAN's collar bone at the 30 minute mark.

Also can you confirm you were watching the version with the river rescue or whatever it was at the start? They removed that for the UK/US release precisely to tighten up the pacing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:28 
Bad Girl

Must have been. It’s a terrible sequence anyway and adds nothing to the film.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Probably why they took it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 21:32 
Gogmagog

Raise of the Skywalker: gave up after 45 minutes as it was deathly dull and nothing of interest was happening

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 21:39 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
Raise of the Skywalker: gave up after 45 minutes as it was deathly dull and nothing of interest was happening

Tbf contractual negotiations are dry.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:20 
Sitting balls-back folder

MaliA wrote:
Avengers Endgame: I cried for three hours. Still brilliant.

I mean there's a couple of Joey Tribianis along the way but the whole runtime?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 22:46 
Bad Girl

I haven’t seen Hot Shots! Part Deux in years. It’s still amazing. Charlie Sheen has great sexy chemistry with the gorgeous Valeria Golino and equally beautiful Brenda Bakke.

I can’t decide which of the Jim Abrahams films I like the best but this has got to be second or third with Hot Shots! & The Naked Gun.

Just a great time throughout.

10/10

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:41 
Skillmeister

Satsuma wrote:
I haven’t seen Hot Shots! Part Deux in years. It’s still amazing. Charlie Sheen has great sexy chemistry with the gorgeous Valeria Golino and equally beautiful Brenda Bakke.

I can’t decide which of the Jim Abrahams films I like the best but this has got to be second or third with Hot Shots! & The Naked Gun.

10/10

You forgot the most beautiful Ryan Stiles too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:59 

Satsuma wrote:

10/10

Agreed, although I prefer Hot Shots! to the sequel. Lloyd Bridges is fucking brilliant in both, of course.

Topper: "President Benson."
Benson: "No, you're not. I've seen him on TV. An older man, about my height."
Benson: "Word of advice, son. Don't go around calling yourself the President. I wouldn't, and neither should you. It doesn't hold water. For that matter, neither do I. Let's get away from these power cables."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 17:25 
Bad Girl

Quote:
Topper: "President Benson."
Benson: "No, you're not. I've seen him on TV. An older man, about my height."

That was the one joke that stood out to me too. Just vintage airplane humour. Also:

Sheen "I'm putty in your hands."
Brenda Bakke "In my hands, nothing turns to putty."

Sexy bitch.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 17:33 
Bad Girl

I watched two excellent films this weekend:

Three Billboards. Oh my god, just a tour de force of film making. 10/10

Hell or High Water. Not quite ‘No Country’ levels of excellent but it’s up there. The portrayal of west Texas just appeals to me; this land that’s eschewed modern conveniences for the dream of the cowboy. The final exchange was glorious. “If you stop by, maybe I'll give you peace.” 9/10

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 19:03 
Excellent Member

Hell or High Water was fucking brilliant, I never understood at the time why it wasn't more talked about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 19:46 
Hello Hello Hello

I gave it 784.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 03#p935403

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 21:43 
Bad Girl

My favourite character moment was when the brother was asleep on the couch and one of the Chris’ wakes him up. Dude just snaps up, grabs his arm, eyes wide, he’s confused but he’s fucking ready to go. Then it all comes back to him, he’s safe and at home. He wasn’t in prison anymore.

Ben Foster is just great.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 20:47 

We just watched Palm Springs, the new film with Andy Samberg.

Didn’t know anything about it going in, other than the synopsis on my media server.

Absolutely worth a watch and one of the strongest “what the fuck” moments near the start I’ve ever had when watching a movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:13 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:

Didn’t know anything about it going in, other than the synopsis on my media server.

Absolutely worth a watch and one of the strongest “what the fuck” moments near the start I’ve ever had when watching a movie.

We watched it the day it came out and yeah, very good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Bamba wrote:
GazChap wrote:

We watched it the day it came out and yeah, very good stuff.

We watched this last night and we both agree with the above. Very good film.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 16:39 

Sat down and watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night. The recent one with Oldman, Firth, Strong, Jones, Cumberbatch, Dencik, Hurt, Hinds and Burke (that sounds a lot like a shipping forecast)

Was gripped for the whole movie, yet at the end I wasn't 100% sure that I understood even half of it. Will be one to rewatch, I think.

I do like me a good spy movie though. And I mean a proper spy movie, not a James Bond/Jason Bourne spy movie. Bridge of Spies was also pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 17:06 
Excellent Painter

GazChap wrote:
Sat down and watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night. The recent one with Oldman, Firth, Strong, Jones, Cumberbatch, Dencik, Hurt, Hinds and Burke (that sounds a lot like a shipping forecast)

Was gripped for the whole movie, yet at the end I wasn't 100% sure that I understood even half of it. Will be one to rewatch, I think.

I do like me a good spy movie though. And I mean a proper spy movie, not a James Bond/Jason Bourne spy movie. Bridge of Spies was also pretty good.

If you’ve never seen, you’ll love the BBC series of the same name with Alec Guinness from the late 70s, and it’s sequel, Smiley’s people. Both are brilliant and properly flesh out the characters and the narrative. The film, though very good, is more focused on the issues of trust amongst the characters, trust being currency of the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 17:21 

Yeah, I've already started [acquiring through perfectly legal means - Ed] those two series :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:53 

"Citizen Kane" is on Iplayer so watched it last night for the first time in about 15 years. It's the kind of thing that I get why people rave so much about it, and I really enjoyed watching it. The stand out sequence is the breakfast montage; a really clever way to advance the plot and show the deterioration in his first marriage. The use of flashbacks and unreliable narration really leaves many threads to untangle and pull at. I'm sure I could spend years rewatching it and never quite deciding if Kane always was going to turn out the way he did, if there was some hope, or if we can trust the others.

But before I ride too far on the hype train, I should note that it doesn't charm me in the way "Casablanca" or "Singin' in the Rain" do. The former is studio Hollywood at its finest, whilst the latter is pure joy on celluloid. "Kane" is great and entertaining, but lacks for me the punch of the others. It's a good meal, not a pleasant snack.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 22:55 
Bad Girl

True Lies is fucking amazing. The cast is fantastic. The effects are fantastic. The stunts are thrilling. It’s hilarious.

10/10

There’s only two complaints I’ve got:

The “dumb terrorist Arabs” are straight out of Hot Shots: Part Deux. I mean, they’re hilarious and hilariously dumb but post-9/11 it feels cheap and a bit nasty almost.

Arnie gives a great performance but he has a couple of moments where you’re thinking ... urgh, come on, man. There’s a scene at the end where he’s playing thumb wars with his family and his face is the spitting image of the Mars scene from Total Recall when his eyes are popping out his face. And there’s a couple of lazy ADR moments from him shouting “come on” that are entirely monotone.

Still, a classic film that needed a rewatch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 23:12 
Sitting balls-back folder

Are you sure those "come on" moments aren't "mother CRUSHER" censorship?

I'm sure I remember a less family-friendly cut being available...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:44 
Skillmeister

Verotika. Every bit as bad as I was expecting. 7/10

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397, 398 ... 422  Next