Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:38 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I started Minecraft Dungeons last night with 3 friends. They weren't convinced but I like it!

It does have a Chaos Engine vibe to it and who would have thunk it, it pays if you stick together and work as a team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:20 

Mario 64. Never got that far into it originally, or on many failed emulation/re-release attempts, but it's good fun. The 20-something year old 3d engine shows its age though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:46 
Bad Girl

Anyone ever played any of the Panza Dragoon games? I’m playing PD: Orca from the original Xbox and it’s fucking awesome. My finger hurts like shit smashing the fire button like a loon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:59 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Satsuma wrote:
Anyone ever played any of the Panza Dragoon games? I’m playing PD: Orca from the original Xbox and it’s fucking awesome. My finger hurts like shit smashing the fire button like a loon.

Yep. It's ace isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:56 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Yep. It's ace isn't it?

Yes it is! Graphics are lovely and vibrant like old Sega games and it plays like Space Harrier x on rails light gun game. It’s just a really fun blast.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 15:07 
Excellent Member

Not really sure where else to mention this but Hidden Folks has recently had a free update on all platforms to add a new set of levels they're calling 'On Tour'. Possibly of interest to at least @GazChap @Goddess Jasmine and @Doctor Glyndwr (is that all I need to do to tag stuff for their attention?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 15:35 
Participant in dramatic games

Been doing lots of 51 worldwide games.. might get twopoint hospital in the switch sale today

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 16:01 

Ah, cheers Bamba :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:40 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
Anyone ever played any of the Panza Dragoon games? I’m playing PD: ORTA from the original Xbox and it’s fucking awesome. My finger hurts like shit smashing the fire button like a loon.

Yep. It's ace isn't it?

Yes it is! Graphics are lovely and vibrant like old Sega games and it plays like Space Harrier x on rails light gun game. It’s just a really fun blast.

No hang on, it’s an epic version of Star Fox.

Star Fox on the WiiU should have been this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:50 
Unpossible!

The Boy had just started playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii. It's so twee!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 14:34 
Best
Board Mother

Bamba wrote:
Not really sure where else to mention this but Hidden Folks has recently had a free update on all platforms to add a new set of levels they're calling 'On Tour'. Possibly of interest to at least @GazChap @Goddess Jasmine and @Doctor Glyndwr (is that all I need to do to tag stuff for their attention?)

Oooh, thanks @bamba :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 15:13 
Comfortably Dumb

OlliOlli2 has turned out to be a bit of a bargain at £1.99 (for Gold members). Plays like a mix of Tony Hawk, Trials and Canabalt. The controls take a while to click though - even with just a few controls, it's very easy to get them mixed up, but eventually everything clicks and soon it's easy to string together long combos.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 16:00 
UltraMod

I loved the first game and played the hell out of it, but the second one left me a bit cold for some reason. I think it got more complicated and the graphics while objectively better didn’t have the same level of charm for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 17:13 
Prince of Fops

I wanted to love Olli olli on the vita but never got beyond being shit at it. Always got the controls muddled.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 15:22 
Prince of Fops

Been a patchy few weeks.

No Man's Sky: exploring, hunkering down to avoid the cold, refuelling, launching, skimming across the surface of planets, bursting through the atmosphere. A genuine, peerless buzz. But the inventory management is too punitive and onerous. And the planets still lack diversity or character. Ditched.

Just Cause 4: looks gorgeous, real joy in propelling yourself around the island with your grapple and 'chute, but the missions feel samey just two missions in, which is quite an achievement. And there's no opportunity for stealth. Which sounds like a ridiculous criticism of Just Cause, but there are times when it would be nice to pick apart a heavily guarded outpost before loosing all hell. As it is, every encounter goes from 0-100 in 1 second. Ditched.

Pro Evo 2020: Looks nice, menus suck, controls well. There may be fun to be had in Master League, if they've sorted out the endless dry communiques you have to click through, and the seemingly endless and tedious transfer windows. Continuing, for now.

Modern Warfare (the remastered thingy): Never played it before. Gunplay is horrible (or I'm horrible at the gunplay). Didn't click with me, and I didn't find the spectacle all that gripping. Ditched.

Horizon Zero Dawn: I'm sick of enormous, expositional cut scenes. And I've concluded that I hate riding horses. Ditched.

XCOM Chimera: Only a couple of missions in, but loving it. Love the breeziness of it all, from the art style to the peppy characters. It feels more like a puzzle game than a strategy game, and I'm finding it much less stressful than normal XCOM, so far.

Speaking of puzzles games, I picked up the Witness again yesterday. I want to love it, but I'm finding it impossible to feel at all invested in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 13:42 
Hibernating Druid

Satsuma wrote:

Yep. That along with the Otogi games are my faves on the XBox.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 15:06 
Bad Girl

Did either of you ever finish the last boss?

I’ve been slogging away at him for 3 days now an hour at a time but can’t crack him. This purple laser thing is just destroying me and I can’t get a consistent lock on to stop him melting my health bar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 15:26 
Bad Girl

No, don’t panic, suddenly I’m amazing and just kicked his ass. Fucks sake.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 16:05 
Bad Girl

‘ere, there’s a bunch of missions and another story in ‘ere too. The missions are a bit crap but the story is quite interesting so far but I’m blasting through it.

Apparently the original game is in here somewhere so I won’t need to get the Remaster on Switch. Saving the world and pennies.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 19:09 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
Apparently the original game is in here somewhere so I won’t need to get the Remaster on Switch. Saving the world and pennies.

Actually I might get the remaster cause this is ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 17:16 
Bad Girl

So after playing Persona 4G I thought I’d just hang on starting anything until TLOU2 came out. Then I started playing Children of Morta on Game Pass.

It’s a top down roguelite slash em up where you have to smash your way through various places smacking the shit out of bad guys upset at the sight of your face. It’s got loads going on as well: multiple playable characters each with distinct skill sets, skill trees for each character, levelling up stuff, upgrades, buying stuff and collecting perks on the job. The slashing it nice and the combat can get pretty fucking mental. It’s got a bit of Binding of Isaac and Dead Cells about it.

The story seems a bit generic about a big bad but it’s told in such a lovely way throughout the few hours I’ve played it I’ve been charmed by how nice it is.

I’m really kinda annoyed because I want to continue playing it to a finish now before TLOU2, but I’ve got to play that because all the inevitable fucking spoiler cunts.

Oh and it looks reet nice too. Have a fucking trailer to see if this is your jam:

EDIT: it’s on all platforms including, urgh, PC. Reviewers went mad for it apparently. Oh and it’s got TWO PLAYER CO OP*!

*Local only FFS. Fucking fuckering fucker cunts.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:07 
Prince of Fops

Have purchased Tetris Effect. This is hopefully the cut scene-free, inventory-free, earnest narrative-free escape from reality that I need.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 22:41 
Prince of Fops

Started spider man. Getting into the swing of things (arf).

So why the fuck am I doing not just one, but three pipemania puzzles just half an hour in. Bizarre.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 13:56 
Prince of Fops

I fired up Dishonored again the other day. Never got very far in it first time around.

I immediately enjoyed being back in the world again. Much less on rails than the Uncharted business I'd been playing recently.

So I was very much aggrieved when it kept crashing. I was on the Pendleton (sic?) brothers level, and whenever I get hit by an enemy the screen becomes irredeemably red and stays that way until I die, no matter if I manage to get away to safety, it stays like that. And then I have to die, and it sorts itself out. Until I'm hit again. Rinse and repeat.

It's annoying. So I ditched it in favour of Spidey, though would be all ears if anyone has experienced and fixed this problem themselves. I looked online and it seems to be a thing, but most people suggest reloading your save, which isn't working for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 15:15 
Excellent Member

I started playing 'Return of the Obra Dinn' last night but I'm not sure I'll stick with it as I suspect I'm a bit too dumb for it. Before stopping my session last night I'd gone through all the vignettes I could find and had a hit a brick wall in identifying any more people. It's possible there are more scenes to find but it not apparent which ones I've viewed and which ones I haven't. Indeed the interface in general is incredibly irritating and ineffective which really isn't helping my engagement. Given something so complex and with so many moving parts you really need it to be clear what's going and I'm not finding that. Possibly I'm missing, or misunderstanding, some quality of life stuff that does actually exist, but that's just part and parcel of the feeling that I'm fighting against the game all the time to try and enjoy it. Meh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 0:57 
Can you dig it?

Many many years after it first came out, I started with Grim Fandango. Seems entertaining so far.

Finished Unravel, and I cried a little bit - it's a sweet game although the middle couple of levels I found, thematically, a little grating.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (the one that was free for PS Plus). Man, I'm shit at online PEW PEW now. Not that I was ever great at them, but hoo boy I'm nothing but cannon fodder in this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:47 
Excellent Member

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Many many years after it first came out, I started with Grim Fandango. Seems entertaining so far.

There's some really good puzzles in that! I loved the atmosphere, too. :)

For some reason (probably Life intruding...) I never quite finished it back in the day. I seem to remember GOG gifted me a copy of the Remastered/HD/whatever-its-called version a little while back. Maybe I'll give it another go now I've got some time on my hands?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 15:43 
Gogmagog

Firefox wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

For some reason (probably Life intruding...) I never quite finished it back in the day. I seem to remember GOG gifted me a copy of the Remastered/HD/whatever-its-called version a little while back. Maybe I'll give it another go now I've got some time on my hands?

Grim Fandango is beautiful. Almost perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 23:50 
Bad Girl

I’ve been playing Control.

It’s by Remedy of the Max Payne lineage, Alan Wake and that shit Xbox exclusive one with the live action. I want to say Quantum Leap/of Solace? Anyhoo, it’s more of the same...third person shooting with a strong emphasis on the narrative.

It’s got a couple of USPs which I approve of wholeheartedly, mind.

1) Particles: tons of the fucking things. Everywhere. Your Wonder Woman can wield a gat like a boss but she can also dash and smash. And, boy, can she smash. She punches so hard particles fucking explode everywhere...bits of wall, door frames, desks, paper, boxes whatever is within a couple of yards of you. Everywhere just gets fucked up; floors and walls crack, rubble flies everywhere. It’s absolutely beautiful madness.

2) You’ve got telekinesis and we all know this makes most games better. You can pick up everything accompanied with this cool metallic noise and then thrust whatever it is into the face of some fucker. And size and weight matters so you get more damage the larger and heavier the thing is. Times I had picked up a sofa with my mind and just clobbered a guy in the grill instantly depleting his life bar. It has never got old after hours of playing it. You can grab an entire desk from behind a guard and smack him in the back of the head as it reaches your clasped hand before you twat him in the face. You can even hit a muthafucker with another motherfucker. Actually reloading is a bit of a chore so while you’re doing that you can just fling a bunch of shit around. You can stop short of pulling an object towards you and do a premature fling to smack some dude upside the head with a fucking satellite dish.

All I’m saying is, I really like the shooting bit. Which is good as that’s the bit you’ll be doing most. And Remedy do do a nice pistol noise.

It’s got some problems:

• sometimes there’s too many particles and shit that enemies can get lost in the mist of pixels.
• the enemies aren’t that exciting. And they seem a little, erm, small on the screen. They just don’t have much in the way of presence either, which is a bit of a shame. They don’t make much noise either. Audio feedback is so important for a shooter and these guys just do what they’re doing and fall over dead. They needed some chat or some weird noises perhaps.
• the game does know how to do return fire. There’s one enemy that fires a fast projectile that’s a sort of weird trail of dots. And it fucks you up fast. But I could not figure out what was killing me for like four times. I mean, Doom did a nice projectile fucking 25 years ago or some shit. Make it noticeable and have a noise so I know when to get out the way.
• there’s so many fucking collectibles. Now that’s not necessarily a problem, but when you’re feeding me lore I sometimes get interested when I start a game. So you collect a thing and it says “PRESS TOUCHSCREEN TO VIEW”. You press the touchscreen and it takes you to the menu and you scroll over three times and press X then you find the thing and click on it. NO FUCKING NO. If you’re wanting me to read hundreds of these sodding things, it should be: collect, touchscreen and you show me. If I don’t want to read it then I won’t press the touchscreen and I’ll find it later (but more likely not).
• it’s got some puzzles. They’re crap.
• to switch between the real world and the astral world (there’s one of those) you have to press square three times every time. Stop wasting my time games.
• the astral world is once a-fucking-gain an empty place with cuboids to stand on and jump around. Get a new idea for an astral plain will ya.

It does have an interesting story (well so far) with some nice performances. But the combat is the real draw so far, lovely, meaty, chunky, combat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 22:58 
Bad Girl

Control has got this fucking ace thing where it plays a video via a projector and you can nudge the projector around and throw it about and still have the video projected and distorted on objects at different angles etc. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that in a game before. I might take a short video cause it’s so cool.

I wish Remedy would sodding quit with the live action stuff though. It doesn’t work and it’s universally terrible in their games.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 23:17 
Bad Girl

Here you go. Well I thought it was pretty impressive (shame it doesn’t stop working when you shoot the reels off but hey). And look at those lovely smoke trails. The games a bit boxy by design but the effects are groovy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That really is quite impressive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 

All that and you didn't walk in front of the projection to see if it casts a shadow on the projected image?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 14:18 
Excellent Member

That projector made by Tonka or something!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 18:42 
Hibernating Druid

Nex Machina! Only £3.99(?) at the moment on PS Store. Frantic twin stick shooter.

Oh and I’m really enjoying StarWars Battlefront II, done the first campaign and now dabbling with the randoms.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 19:55 
Bad Girl

GazChap wrote:
All that and you didn't walk in front of the projection to see if it casts a shadow on the projected image?

Tried it: It does and you get the image on the player too.

I tried to see how large the image would get when I backed up too but it stops showing on surfaces after 15-20 ft no matter how dark the room was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 20:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Literally unplayable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 20:27 
Prince of Fops

Findus Fop wrote:
I fired up Dishonored again the other day. Never got very far in it first time around.

I immediately enjoyed being back in the world again. Much less on rails than the Uncharted business I'd been playing recently.

So I was very much aggrieved when it kept crashing. I was on the Pendleton (sic?) brothers level, and whenever I get hit by an enemy the screen becomes irredeemably red and stays that way until I die, no matter if I manage to get away to safety, it stays like that. And then I have to die, and it sorts itself out. Until I'm hit again. Rinse and repeat.

It's annoying. So I ditched it in favour of Spidey, though would be all ears if anyone has experienced and fixed this problem themselves. I looked online and it seems to be a thing, but most people suggest reloading your save, which isn't working for me.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail. To be fair I'm using the same save game file but I can't face playing it all through again and getting hit with the same issues.

So I think Dishonored is done for me.

Does it spoil Dishonored 2 not to have played the first one?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 20:49 
Paws for thought

Findus Fop wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but to no avail. To be fair I'm using the same save game file but I can't face playing it all through again and getting hit with the same issues.

What system are you playing on?

D2 is perfectly playable without d1, but obviously you'll understand a little more about the setting by playing 1. (and obv. 2 my spoil some of 1, should you care) would be nice to play through 1, although i would say 2 is the superior game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 21:14 
Bad Girl

Can you load your save and replay the mission from the start? I forget, is there a chapter select? What about completing the level without getting hit and seeing if that fixes it on the next level? I mean, it is a stealth game after all. What about whacking down the difficulty (if that’s a thing) and finishing the level on easy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 21:16 
Prince of Fops

Mr Dave wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

What system are you playing on?

D2 is perfectly playable without d1, but obviously you'll understand a little more about the setting by playing 1. (and obv. 2 my spoil some of 1, should you care) would be nice to play through 1, although i would say 2 is the superior game.

Thanks Dave. Playing on PS4. I do have it on 360, would mean dusting that off. Bloody annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 21:17 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
Can you load your save and replay the mission from the start? I forget, is there a chapter select? What about completing the level without getting hit and seeing if that fixes it on the next level? I mean, it is a stealth game after all. What about whacking down the difficulty (if that’s a thing) and finishing the level on easy?

Ha! That's some creative thinking. I don't think I'd come close to completing the level hit free, but that's an interesting idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 21:27 
Bad Girl

What level is it? It’s not too difficult to avoid sword combat and you could crossbow murder your way to the end of the level? I hate when you’re enjoying a game and some daft bug gets in the way. I’ve forced my way through many a bug like it’s a new challenge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 21:33 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
What level is it? It’s not too difficult to avoid sword combat and you could crossbow murder your way to the end of the level? I hate when you’re enjoying a game and some daft bug gets in the way. I’ve forced my way through many a bug like it’s a new challenge.

House of Pleasure. Only level four or five, but feels too far in to start afresh.

Will restart the level and see if that brings any joy. Failing that will get the crossbow at the ready.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 15:07 
Bad Girl

I’m playing Subnautica.

It’s a game about swimming with cute fishes that explode and kill you if you don’t die of hunger and thirst first.

It’s barely comprehensible as you start and it tells you fuck all about what exactly you’re going to do to survive but after a while you learn there’s a storage locker with water and some choccy bars that have been sitting there for the last 3 hours completely untouched. But then you have to eat stinking fish and presumably drink your own piss.

6 hours later though and I’m zooming around with a motor shoved in a bucket that lasts, oh I don’t know, a good five minutes before it runs out of batteries. Then it’s back to looking for rocks shaped like rocks on the walls of rocks to find some copper to make another battery that’ll run out just as you really want to come back to your life raft to store some crap you’ve picked off the floor. Then an exploding fish kills you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 16:32 
Excellent Member

I felt like Subnautica could be really good IF you were able to push through the initial stages and get to a point where it grabbed you. However my experience of the initial stages was a load of aimless shite so I binned it off. Possibly my fault for apparently needing a bit more hand-holding to get to grips with it but, either way, it totally didn't work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 17:42 
Bad Girl

It took me a while to get into it but it’s kinda got its hooks in now. I was initially focused on just getting all the things on the fabricator as my job to do. In fact most of my time is just spent getting the next thing on the list, scanning sea floor junk all the while knocking about the sea and occasionally finding things.

I’ve only just found my first survivor pod 7 hours in which has lead to a giant cave I can’t really explore at the minute until I get a vehicle of some sort I reckon. Mind you, once you repair the radio you’ll get the odd distress call and waypoints pop up. So it’s taking ages to open up but it’s been interesting just bobbing about. I loved when the ship blew up - very unexpected. Luckily I was standing on the raft to watch it all.

I’ve got a couple of issues mind. On the worlds most powerful console, the game is plagued with pop in. And I managed to clip through to the inside of the main ship and had to kill myself to escape. I clipped through a bunch of other areas when I shouldn’t have too. Just smacks of a distinct lack of polish.

Despite this it’s pretty compelling. I’m utterly terrified of scuba diving so this is perhaps the closest I’ll ever get to diving in the sea.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 20:47 
Bad Girl

I think I should have repaired the radio earlier... tch.

Still, now I’ve got me a sea car and ‘I’m going deeper underground. There’s too much panic in this town.’

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 0:06 
Can you dig it?

MaliA wrote:
Firefox wrote:

The setting, the style, the music and voice acting are all brilliant (I've even found myself reading things in real life, but in my head imagining it as Manny's voice).

BUT the controls are awkward (on PS4), there's SO MUCH walking and I find some of the puzzles just too obtuse and have resorted to using the UHS website... Or i've had the correct idea but it was a pain to actually do, leading me to think it was wrong. Animation does seem a bit glitchy at times too. And I missed one tiny little environmental action revealing something I needed.

Overall I'm not sure I'm enjoying it that much. Maybe I'm just too impatient now, maybe this is (was) a good game but at the wrong time for me; but overall I'm just a bit disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 
Prince of Fops

Sir Taxalot wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Firefox wrote:

The setting, the style, the music and voice acting are all brilliant (I've even found myself reading things in real life, but in my head imagining it as Manny's voice).

BUT the controls are awkward (on PS4), there's SO MUCH walking and I find some of the puzzles just too obtuse and have resorted to using the UHS website... Or i've had the correct idea but it was a pain to actually do, leading me to think it was wrong. Animation does seem a bit glitchy at times too. And I missed one tiny little environmental action revealing something I needed.

Overall I'm not sure I'm enjoying it that much. Maybe I'm just too impatient now, maybe this is (was) a good game but at the wrong time for me; but overall I'm just a bit disappointed.

:this: :this: :this:

Having tried to get on with it several times, love almost everything about it, but the obtuse puzzles, combined with unwieldy controls, make the necessary traipsing around (because there is a lot of traipsing, because it's not always obvious what you need to do) very UNFUN.

Meanwhile, playing Monkey Island with Mini Fop (then watching her play it with her Grandad over Zoom) has been one of the simple highlights of lockdown.

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next