Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 17:41 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
#teamironman

#teamcap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:32 

Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus - available on BBC Iplayer

A roadtrip through the poorest parts of the southern US, interspersed with bluegrass and other local forms of music. It takes in small town prisons, rural story tellers, roadside diners, trailer parks, and pentecostal churches along the way.

There's a gentle pace about the film reflecting the slow, hot, humid, lugubrious nature of life in rural backwaters and the music intertwines with the interviews and locations. Coulped with the soft focus and grainy film stock it provides an almost dreamlike atmosphere, but never gets too sentimental about the poverty it displays.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:48 

Does anyone know what film this is? I don’t remember much about it, other than to say that is a disaster (?) movie in the same way that I think of Towering Inferno and either involves or (I think) is wholly about planes. At one point they get a plane to fly alongside the (I assume doomed) plane at exactly the same speed and fire a grappling hook and zip line and the pilot escapes across the zip line bridge between the planes...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 15:25 

Air Force One (with Harrison Ford) has a bit near the end where they take passengers off the plane using a zip line between two planes?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 16:09 

Could be! I’ll have to see if I can find it to watch to see if it is the same one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 16:15 

Here's part of that scene.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 16:55 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I Give It a Year. Mrs. W and I watched this on Saturday as I'd recorded it without paying attention to the cast.

We weren't expecting too much, but the plot was very, very predictable once we'd got past the cringeworthy wedding scenes.

My biggest problem with it was Stephen Merchant's character, which seems to be the same character he's played in most other things I've seen him in. Crude and offensive but unaware of these traits, you initially think he's going to apologise for the last offensive thing he said, only for him to compound it with something equally bad, or worse. It's a shame, really, because I think he's got genuine talent hidden away somewhere, but he seems to be used as a one-trick-pony all the time.

Rafe Spall's character wasn't much better.

Serves us right for sticking with it, we should have found some ancient and more amusing thing on Talking Pictures TV. In fact we DID watch......

The Missing Million (1942) on TPTV yesterday. I think the only a actor I recognised was Valentine Dyall. The most remarkable thing about it was the speed of the dialogue. I got the impression they were either paying for the studio time by the hour, or they only had a limited supply of film stock and the director was cracking the whip to make sure that got through the plot by whatever deadline it was. I never really worked out why the million was missing, but that could possibly be that i kept losing consciousness. Despite that, I'd prefer to watch this than I Give It a Year again.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 17:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
Air Force One (with Harrison Ford) has a bit near the end where they take passengers off the plane using a zip line between two planes?

Wut?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 17:10 

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Wut?

?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 17:25 

GazChap wrote:

I don’t think that’s it. It was pre-1997 that I saw it. I’d tentatively guess the 70s, but could be 60s-80s, which isn’t particularly helpful. I mean, I think it was in colour but also could have been in black and white. I think there was a scene where the cabin depressurised and someone almost gets sucked out of a window but holds onto a chair or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Me and Mrs Hearthly watched YOU'VE GOT MAIL last night 'cause we fancied a bit of 90s cheese. (It's on Netflix.)

What we hadn't expected (misremembered?) was to be confronted by what an utter cunt Tom Hanks's character is in it, he literally puts Meg Ryan out of business (a very cute Meg Ryan, I should add), forces himself onto her in ways she explicitly says she doesn't want, uses knowledge he has about her to fuck her over, and taps her for information whilst she doesn't know who he really is to finally set himself up to make his move, and when what a total arsehole he's been is revealed to her at the end, she thinks it's the most romantic thing ever and she falls into his arms.

As the credits rolled I said to Mrs Hearthly, 'Crikey, that hasn't aged well, I'd have told him to bugger off'.

We both agreed it's a very old fashioned, rather misogynistic view of romance.

And it was made in 1998, so hardly a case of 'Oh well things were different in the 1940s'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:48 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mimi wrote:
GazChap wrote:

I don’t think that’s it. It was pre-1997 that I saw it. I’d tentatively guess the 70s, but could be 60s-80s, which isn’t particularly helpful. I mean, I think it was in colour but also could have been in black and white. I think there was a scene where the cabin depressurised and someone almost gets sucked out of a window but holds onto a chair or something.

Sounds a bit like Goldfinger. Odd Job got sucked out of a plane window and Bond held on to a seat, I think, until the pressure equalised.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:56 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I watched IT part two last night.

I enjoyed it but it was a bit shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:08 

Warhead wrote:
Mimi wrote:
GazChap wrote:

Sounds a bit like Goldfinger. Odd Job got sucked out of a plane window and Bond held on to a seat, I think, until the pressure equalised.

Oh, o forgot about this. It’s not a Bind film, but I spoke to my Ma about it and she reckon it was something called Airport, or Airport 1975 or something like that (I looked it up and there seem to be a few).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:02 

Hearthly wrote:
What we hadn't expected (misremembered?) was to be confronted by what an utter cunt Tom Hanks's character is in it, he literally puts Meg Ryan out of business (a very cute Meg Ryan, I should add), forces himself onto her in ways she explicitly says she doesn't want, uses knowledge he has about her to fuck her over, and taps her for information whilst she doesn't know who he really is to finally set himself up to make his move, and when what a total arsehole he's been is revealed to her at the end, she thinks it's the most romantic thing ever and she falls into his arms.

Pretty much all romantic movies are like this, IMO.

One of Jem's favourite movies is "About Time", from Richard Curtis. It is indeed a good film, enjoyable enough and tugs at the heartstrings a bit.

But the main character literally abuses time travel in order to manipulate the love interest into going out with him, and then abuses time travel to prevent arguments and keep the relationship going. And the film presents this as OK, as at least he's not using time travel for monetary gain.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:04 
Unpossible!

He tries to go back in time to boink Margot Robbie as well. Understandably.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 22:10 
Best
Board Mother

We Bare Bears : The Movie

Very topical!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 22:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Very topical!

What?! What's that on?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 22:57 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Me and Mrs Hearthly watched YOU'VE GOT MAIL last night 'cause we fancied a bit of 90s cheese. (It's on Netflix.)

As the credits rolled I said to Mrs Hearthly, 'Crikey, that hasn't aged well, I'd have told him to bugger off'.

We both agreed it's a very old fashioned, rather misogynistic view of romance.

And it was made in 1998, so hardly a case of 'Oh well things were different in the 1940s'.

Sir, please, please watch 'Shop Around the Corner', which is the Margaret Sullivan and Jimmy Stewart movie You've Got Mail is based on. It's way better. It's based on a play by the same name and like the play is set in Budapest, not that you could tell by the accents. It's brilliantly witty - the dialogue is razor sharp - and all the supporting actors are memorable and completely on top of their game. Unlike You've Got Mail it's a warm film with likeable characters who put each other through the wringer a bit before ultimately falling for each other. There's an emotional plot that weaves throughout the film featuring the owner of the department store, who's wife is having an affair, the resolution of which made me dab at my eyes a little. Ooh, actually... let me find my original post as I recollect I have talked about this before...

Quote:
But one you might not have seen is, 'The Shop Around the Corner', which is a Margaret Sullivan and James Stewart vehicle directed by Ernst Lubitsch. It's one of those films that's clearly based on a play, and it's basically a will-they/won't-they romance as perky, driven and tactless Margaret Sullivan gets a job at a department store on the whim of the manager, and quickly builds an antagonistic working relationship with old hand James Stewart whose blunt advice offends his boss. (The boss played by the same dude who plays the Great and Powerful Oz, btw.) It all takes place in the run-up to Christmas as the sales staff desperately pray and hustle for a good, honest Christmas rush - otherwise they're all out on the street.

It's a film that much like It's a Wonderful Life is all whimsy and fun on the surface, but has a dark, fearful streak within. For all their mutual arrogance both leads are terrified at the prospect of losing their jobs in a wintry, depression hit Budapest, and the film takes a wry look at work-place politics and and winds up going some fairly dark places with the plot revolving around the manager. Ultimately however the film proves heart-warming, with the shop-keeping family rallying around, and it has one of the best comeuppance scenes in cinema history as a real crawling, devious sleeze who redefines the word 'unctuous' gets what's coming to him. (Helped by the sheer villainous relish the actor Joseph Schildkraut brings to the role.) It's a lovely black and white film and in its stagey manner really evokes the feeling of being someplace warm and cosy inside, a little island of light in a cold, dark winter. Very much recommended if you're bored of the same old rotation of Christmas films, and some great character actors doing their schtick. Even if it is impossible to buy the superb James Stewart as a Hungarian, who, mercifully, sticks solidly to his regular, 'Wa'aaall I wouldn't know about that' voice.

It's full of nice people doing nice things for other people to help them when they're down, which I always approve of and never happens enough in films too. Available on DVD, btw!

So yeah, if you want to wash the bad taste of You've Got Mail out of your mouth, definitely watch Shop Around the Corner. Nice people looking out for one another. :luv:

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:20 
Best
Board Mother

Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

Very topical!

What?! What's that on?

Plex...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:22 
Hello Hello Hello

NervousPete wrote:
So yeah, if you want to wash the bad taste of You've Got Mail out of your mouth, definitely watch Shop Around the Corner. Nice people looking out for one another. :luv:

Thanks for the tip Pete, we'll give that a go :)

I know they say Tom Hanks doesn't do bad guys but he's objectively playing a terrible wanker in You've Got Mail.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:37 
Prince of Fops

Josh in Big is a bad guy. Duping a woman into underage sex.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:51 
Hello Hello Hello

It does make you think about how much sexist/misogynistic bullshit exists without apology in the mainstream entertainment space.

I felt quite embarrassed at parts of You've Got Mail, and I'd hate for my daughter to watch it and think it was some sort of instructional as to how it's OK for men to behave and what romance is.

And like I say, it was made in 1998 so not exactly some throwback to Victorian times. In a way it's made worse by having 'Nice Tom Hanks' play someone who is, in many regards, something of an amoral predator.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:59 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:
It does make you think about how much sexist/misogynistic bullshit exists without apology in the mainstream entertainment space.

I felt quite embarrassed at parts of You've Got Mail, and I'd hate for my daughter to watch it and think it was some sort of instructional as to how it's OK for men to behave and what romance is.

And like I say, it was made in 1998 so not exactly some throwback to Victorian times. In a way it's made worse by having 'Nice Tom Hanks' play someone who is, in many regards, something of an amoral predator.

Culture changes a lot in 20 years.. Look at the swinging 60s compared to the 1940s etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:

Romantic comedies are, when viewed objectively, almost always hugely misogynistic.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:53 

Grim... wrote:
Romantic comedies are, when viewed objectively, almost always hugely misogynistic.

:this:

The only one that springs to mind that isn't*, and it's not exactly what you'd call a "traditional" rom-com, is Shaun of the Dead.

* I daresay there's probably something in there that is misogynistic, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head which suggests it's a rarity.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 13:29 
sneering elitist

GazChap wrote:
* I daresay there's probably something in there that is misogynistic, but I can't think of anything off the top of my head which suggests it's a rarity.

"I can't remember it so it didn't happen" is definitely not questionable logic at all. :p

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:50 
Comfortably Dumb

Watched Night Hunter on Netflix last night. A good cast, but a mess of a film, with half-arsed dialogue and when the twists and turns in the plot aren't predictable, it's because they're stupid instead. It seems like it wants to be a darker 'Law Abiding Citizen'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:56 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Spiderman homecoming is pure joy.

Still this

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 22:26 
Gogmagog

Doctor Strange: I wasn't sold on the first forty minutes at all, but Bumblebee Crumpetface did some good stuff and I really really liked it by the end. Well worth the time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched Guy Ritchie's latest film THE GENTLEMEN last night, which was excellent.

Amusingly and endlessly profane, smart and snappy, darkly comic, a wonderfully slimy Hugh Grant clearly having a whale of a time, and indeed a mighty fine cast all around. (Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell, Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy), Jeremy Strong, Eddie Marsan.) He even managed to put in something for a woman to do. Very modern.

Nothing to criticise with this one really, two hours of top drawer entertainment, just don't expect an intellectually challenging time.

880/1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:56 
Gogmagog

Charlie Human is from Byker Grove first, last, and always

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:59 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
Charlie Human is from Byker Grove first, last, and always

no way man. What a factory of talent that show was*.

I always thought his first gig was Queer as Folk.

*Though I generally find Hunnam's acting to be deeply annoying. His angry swagger in Sons of Anarchy really stuck in my craw.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:59 

He sat next to me on a train for four hours and made me have an actual nosebleed with his sheer beauty. It was just after Queer As Folk. He was peak pretty.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:32 
Gogmagog

Black Panther: I was quite enjoying this up until the moment I fell asleep.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:01 
Hello Hello Hello

Watched, AMERICAN, THE BILL HICKS STORY last night which is on Amazon Prime.

I guess you could accuse it of being a bit of a hagiography in some regards, although it doesn't flinch away from the worst of his alcoholic excesses, which in honesty I hadn't realised got as bad as they did.

I also didn't fully appreciate how much it was his UK tour that really invigorated him, as he felt he'd found an audience that properly 'got' what he was doing, and then he went back to the States with new ideas and energy to take his show forward and then, well, we all know what happened next. Dead at 32.

Some of his last routines seem strangely, sadly prescient given what has come to pass in both the political and economic arenas, definitely ahead of his time and could see what was coming I think. And of course he died before the internet became a thing, his take on where that's all ended up would be fascinating.

I actually remember when he died, it was three months before me and Mrs Hearthly started going out together, when my life was pretty much in a freefall of addictions and the final cutting, cruel stages of a terribly destructive relationship, and Bill Hicks dying made me sad, I used to listen to Relentless and Revelations whilst walking around Manchester. And then Kurt Cobain died two months later, for the cherry on the cake.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I've not heard of him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:20 
Awesome
Yes

Grim... wrote:
I've not heard of him.

Bill Hicks,Kurt Cobain or Hearthly?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:37 
Gogmagog

Played in a three piece band out of Seattle in the early 1990s

Really bitter guy as witnessed by his comments at the start of "Unplugged in New York" where he says "this is off of our first album. Most people don't own it".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:49 
SavyGamer

Bill Hicks really was brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 22:38 
Gogmagog

Thor Ragnarok: still superb. Love it all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:45 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My girls watched Labyrinth for the first time ever last night.

They loved it... What a brilliant film.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:29 
Sitting balls-back folder

Brilliant but, like so many other films, awful when you think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 13:41 
Unpossible!

Creepy older guy attempts to groom underage girl via kidnapping, bribery, gaslighting and attempted murder?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 13:52 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:
Creepy older guy attempts to groom underage girl via kidnapping, bribery, gaslighting and attempted murder?

Timeless

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 13:55 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:

Dude, just enjoy the film. It’s not meant to be analysed. It’s entertainment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 14:08 
Hibernating Druid

DavPaz wrote:

Eldest child jealous of young sibling, asks for help and then still isn’t happy for getting what she wants.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 15:32 
Unpossible!

Mr Chonks wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Dude, just enjoy the film. It’s not meant to be analysed. It’s entertainment

I love you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 15:34 
Comfortably Dumb

Zardoz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Eldest child jealous of young sibling, asks for help and then still isn’t happy for getting what she wants.

Balls, puppets and songs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 16:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Title

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 391, 392, 393, 394, 395, 396, 397 ... 422  Next