Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:50 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
I'm working from home forever. Our places has given up our lease and gone full disbursement.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. I'm a lot more productive in the office and find massive value comes from the random conversations that spring up when you can just over hear other people chatting about something you have knowledge of, never being co-located with a team again is a hard sell for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 13:09 
Ready for action

I’m off on six months family leave at the moment (my employer gives both parents six months paid leave). Baby was born one month early in mid Feb so presumably she knew about Coronavirus and made sure to arrive before it got too bad. Which means I’m due to return to work in mid Aug. My work have already confirmed that office staff will be working from home until 01/09 so it’s going to be a weird return to work for me, especially since my boss has announced his retirement and left the business while I’ve been off and now there’s a new person in charge and the structure and scope of the team has changed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 13:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I work from home when I'm not out filming. It's great when the kids aren't around... I sometimes play on my Xbox or sometimes watch films.

Seriously though, whilst I don't miss the office environment. I do sometimes miss the office conversations and generally being around people but I soon get over this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 13:39 
Excellent Member

I finished my last contract just before Xmas, and was planning to take a couple of months off anyway 'cause I was cream-crackered.

As soon as the pandemic started, there were suddenly no contracts going anywhere in the UK.

So... yeah. Not an immediate worry. I pay myself a tiny salary, and can actually live off it if I switch to [80s] student mode. I'm not at all sure if I'm going to find work this year, though. ?:|

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 15:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Trooper wrote:
I'm working from home forever. Our places has given up our lease and gone full disbursement.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. I'm a lot more productive in the office and find massive value comes from the random conversations that spring up when you can just over hear other people chatting about something you have knowledge of, never being co-located with a team again is a hard sell for me.

It wasn't the easiest of transition for me personally, as I like the office chats, but it's going well.
We seem to be a lot more focused and streamlined as a business right now, but that's part of survival mode through Covid as much as anything else. It'll be interesting to see how it all works once everyone if back from furlough.
It helps that we are a small company that already had a couple of folks permanently remote, and we were free to WFH whenever we liked, so the transition was just "shall we all stop going in?" for the majority of the business.

I don't miss the commute, both in terms of length of time and cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 15:50 
Soopah red DS

UCL have apparently said their office types will be working from home till December, which is one heck of a way to prepare them. I missed seeing the e-learning discussion lists chatter when the restrictions started, but otherwise I really haven't missed work, and am not sure how I would go back now. I do miss travelling, though, for hanging around with people and comparing experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 16:11 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
I don't miss the commute, both in terms of length of time and cost.

Yeah, I appreciate that would be a big selling point for some people for sure. I'd never take a job with a long commute because I don't hate myself* so the saving would be very small for me in terms of money and time. Indeed given that I'd need to travel to/from the gym most days anyway even if I was working from home there's an argument to be made that it's just as convenient to be on town for work already anyway.

*I'm being glib here of course, but having previously experienced sacrificing a load of cash and my own actual time just get to and from work I'm never, ever doing that shit again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 16:49 
sneering elitist

It's weird, because as someone who works at home anyway, you might think this past few months would have only been a minor adjustment for me. However, my mental health is in the toilet, I am fed up of the sight of everyone, I am finding this whole shit show utterly exhausting and it's definitely not workable long term.

So that's nice.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 17:04 
UltraMod

I am also struggling badly. My life is completely different now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 17:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

Jem wrote:
It's weird, because as someone who works at home anyway, you might think this past few months would have only been a minor adjustment for me. However, my mental health is in the toilet, I am fed up of the sight of everyone, I am finding this whole shit show utterly exhausting and it's definitely not workable long term.

So that's nice.

There are times when living alone is a curse, and times when it is a blessing.
Seeing what my colleagues have to deal with on a daily basis with their other half and kids, I'm seeing living alone very much a blessing as time goes on. It was hard at the start, don't get me wrong, but now...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 17:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Struggling here too. The working from home and living alone I'm fine with as I'm used to that, but my day job is kicking my arse in terms of workload (had two days off so far this year but no idea when I'll get the opportunity to take a proper break) and I'm stressing about opening up my website to accept orders again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 17:10 
sneering elitist

I'm not sure I'd want to live alone right now because I do NEED human contact, and touch (hugs n stuff, don't get too frisky) but it would be so nice to just have a couple of hours of total silence a day. I'm not good at dealing with the constant noise (BRAIN STIMULATION OVERLOAD) and especially when I'm trying to work. :'(

(I know, I'm so demanding.)

Mr Chonks wrote:
I am also struggling badly. My life is completely different now.

It's 'cause you got married. It's all downhill after that mate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 17:37 
Best
Board Mother

Working from home now isn't the same as working from home was six months ago and for some our work load and the way have to do our jobs has changed too.

I am really missing human contact. I can have as much as I want from Joan's obviously, but I don't think I'd realised how much I value it from others (friends) too. A hug goes s bloody long way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 19:05 
Ready for action

I’ve had good days and bad days. I spend a lot of time daydreaming about a time when we can drop the kids off at my mother in law so we can go and have a nap. Or just sit for a few hours without being on Mum alert all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 19:42 
Excellent Member

In the beginning my anxiety spiraled completely
I was able to do my job from home (which I never did before) so I felt super lucky, but then it's on my private laptop and my private phone and work bled into private time and private screamed into work time and I felt guilty all the time, towards work for not accomplishing enough and towards Katie for not mother/teachering enough
then after a few weeks I settled down some and Katie got more used to homeschool and being quiet around working parents and things that were a faff started to be easier cause I'd done them many times
then Katie started back at school two days a week which was a blessing on those days, but super messy as she was neither home nor at school which confused her and me
this week she is back to school full time, so all the school stuff is gone from the kitchen table and she is gone during a lot of the day and the quiet is everything you could hope for (and she's happy as larry after missing all her folk so much)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 20:51 
sneering elitist

Juggling kids definitely adds an extra layer of complexity! I'm trying to be patient with mine, remembering that they too are struggling, but juggling everyone's needs is another item on the to-do list. Mine likely won't be back to school til September now as the gov have given up on their plans to get all primary kids in before summer.

Sorry to moan btw, just been struggling this week and it's good to talk about it without constantly badgering Gaz (poor Gaz :S )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:36 
Excellent Member

Believe me I know, I can't count the times I've cried from stress and overload in the last three months I hope you feel some relief soon

so for us it's been: 6 weeks of school at home, 2 weeks of holiday at home (girlie, not us) 4 weeks of "2 days a week" and now full time for 6 weeks and then summer holiday for 6 weeks
I pray the numbers keep going down
I don't know how we all would cope if she wouldn't go back at all until next school year

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 
Best
Board Mother

Jem wrote:
Juggling kids definitely adds an extra layer of complexity! I'm trying to be patient with mine, remembering that they too are struggling, but juggling everyone's needs is another item on the to-do list. Mine likely won't be back to school til September now as the gov have given up on their plans to get all primary kids in before summer.

Sorry to moan btw, just been struggling this week and it's good to talk about it without constantly badgering Gaz (poor Gaz :S )

You're not moaning, you're voicing your frustrations and that's good and healthy. It's also what we're here for. :luv:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:37 

After the PM's annoucement yesterday, I'm considering spending a week or so with my parents given I count as a single adult household. Will probably wait until I see the regs and have sorted out things I need to do at home.

Part of me is worried about all this contributing to a second spike. I know dam well that when pubs reopen I probably won't lack have the resolve to avoid them but then there were probably things we all did before lockdown that contributed to the spread.

If anything, the last few weeks have put me off any romantic notions I once had of hiring a cabin on a cargo ship across the Pacific.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:15 
Prince of Fops

Very much this. I don't live in a single person household by any means, but am sorely tempted to "fuck it" and go and see my parents who are dying (though fortunately not dying) to see their grandchildren.

But we're not going to. We're going to wait until that kind of thing is allowed. But my patience is wearing exceptionally thin with the government's every clownishly meted out measure.

And I love pub beer gardens perhaps more than anything. But the idea of sitting in one at the moment brings me shivers of nausea rather than shivers of pleasure.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:27 
Gogmagog

Findus Fop wrote:

But we're not going to. We're going to wait until that kind of thing is allowed. But my patience is wearing exceptionally thin with the government's every clownishly meted out measure..

There's not even a veneer of 'this is to stop people dying", it is solely 'maybe this will stop people talking about how many have died' (64k plus).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:41 
Prince of Fops

MaliA wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

But we're not going to. We're going to wait until that kind of thing is allowed. But my patience is wearing exceptionally thin with the government's every clownishly meted out measure..

There's not even a veneer of 'this is to stop people dying", it is solely 'maybe this will stop people talking about how many have died' (64k plus).

Every day at the moment serves as a stark reminder that we've been lumped with arguably the worst option imaginable when it's come to the two greatest modern-day crises our country has faced.

Pre-referendum: Corbyn 'opposition'
Post-referendum: Corbyn 'opposition'
Pandemic: Johnson 'government'

In none of those crises could you have picked a worse option. The greatest challenges, served by the worst of solutions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:48 

It's apparent from his rare appearances that Johnson isn't coping, and he lacks a solid cabinet team to carry him over. Johnson's sacking of so many talented MPs in Septmber and their subsquent deselection looks increasingly foolish.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:52 
Gogmagog

I'm still amazed that, after the GE, I sat in the local Labour party meeting and they decided that the catastrophic result was a result of 'a hostile media'. There was a good 45 minutes of how great a person he was, and how 'the PLP had stabbed him in the back'. It was minuted as 'a good discussion was had'. They then went on it back RLB for the the leadership and described Jess Philips as 'that woman'.

So, yeah, I feel better for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:56 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
It's apparent from his rare appearances that Johnson isn't coping, and he lacks a solid cabinet team to carry him over. Johnson's sacking of so many talented MPs in Septmber and their subsquent deselection looks increasingly foolish.

He is so overwhelmed, and desperately trying to get something back. You can see the empty haunted look in his eyes at PMQs. It's a disgrace.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:00 

It's palpably obvious that they're all absolutely shitting themselves. They fucked up and cost tens of thousands of people their lives.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:37 

markg wrote:
It's palpably obvious that they're all absolutely shitting themselves. They fucked up and cost tens of thousands of people their lives.

Shitting themselves over what, though?

Over the fact that they have cost tens of thousands of people their lives?

Or

Over the fact that they are going to be noted and remembered, written down and possibly ousted as the people that cost tens of thousands of people their lives?

The thing that hurts most about this is that they don’t see each of those lives as a person, but rather as a damning statistic that might damage their career.

And I still just can’t see how it is that people are still saying he’s doing a good job, the best job in very difficult circumstances, to stop being negative and give him our support. How are those people looking at the situation and able to put that spin on it? Obviously people trying to self-justify their vote and not feel complicit, but at some point surely those people have to admit that this man and his government have thrown lives at this virus for the sake of money?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 
sneering elitist

Mimi wrote:
And I still just can’t see how it is that people are still saying he’s doing a good job, the best job in very difficult circumstances, to stop being negative and give him our support. How are those people looking at the situation and able to put that spin on it? Obviously people trying to self-justify their vote and not feel complicit, but at some point surely those people have to admit that this man and his government have thrown lives at this virus for the sake of money?

I had a call with a normally intelligent, reasonable and rational client yesterday who said he thought they were doing "about as well as everyone else" and I just had to give up and move the conversation on. I can't begin to understand how someone would even think that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:30 
Comfortably Dumb

Jem wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I had a call with a normally intelligent, reasonable and rational client yesterday who said he thought they were doing "about as well as everyone else" and I just had to give up and move the conversation on. I can't begin to understand how someone would even think that.

My boss thinks the government is doing their best and it just blows my mind that anyone could think that. There's plenty of data available to compare us to other countries and despite us having more time to prepare than others, we've still performed badly.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:42 

Quote:
My boss thinks the government is doing their best

I think the government are doing their best.

Unfortunately, with this incompetent shower of twats, their best is still fucking terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:59 

GazChap wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, with this incompetent shower of twats, their best is still fucking terrible.

I don’t think they are doing their best. I think their decisions have all been to try and protect their own monetary interests. Nobody lies, and obfuscates like they are when they truly believe that they are doing their best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:10 
Prince of Fops

I wonder what Cavey makes of the BoJo shitshow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:17 
UltraMod

Findus Fop wrote:

Something something bulldog spirit something something I have a Porsche something something better than Labour

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:22 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:

You'd never find out. Even if he was here he'd never commit to a discussion of how awful the Tory handling of the situation is, instead he'd just constantly bang on about how bad it would've been under Labour instead (based entirely on the evidence of this own brain).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:30 

Mimi wrote:
I don’t think they are doing their best. I think their decisions have all been to try and protect their own monetary interests. Nobody lies, and obfuscates like they are when they truly believe that they are doing their best.

True - I suppose what I mean is that "their best" means something different to us when compared to what it means to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 13:22 
Decapodian

GazChap wrote:
Quote:

This.

I don’t believe any of them (apart from Cummings) are genuinely trying to do the wrong thing, they are just out of their depth.

And, to be fair, there are some things like the furlough scheme which is absolutely the right thing for them to have introduced, and then amended several times as potential problems were noted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 13:26 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I count myself as incredibly lucky to be in a job that's been largely unaffected by the lockdown. I still get out and about and still have interaction with several people every day, albeit at bit more distanced than usual, and I'm getting through huge numbers of gloves as I have to change them after every visit I make. In the early days of lockdown it was like a post apocalypse film, with no traffic for miles and miles and no trouble finding places to park. Traffic has gradually increased, which may be partly because complacency has begun to set in and people aren't sticking to the advice as much as they did to begin with. And the Cummings Effect may also be a factor.

But I'm very much aware of how the rest of my family have been affected. My son hasn't seen his daughter in person since lockdown began, my daughter has been working at home some weeks and in the office on others, but recently it's been all at home. My wife isn't in employment anyway, but misses the social contact she had before, and though she never liked doing the big weekly shop, she's probably spending more time trying to secure delivery dates for on-line shopping, and making shopping lists. But it's very different from being able to wander the aisles and being reminded that you need something when you see it on the shelves.

Mentally, I feel OK, but I've been having a lot of disturbing and vivid dreams, much more than I had before lockdown began, but I wouldn't class them as nightmares. I'm sure I wouldn't be nearly as relaxed if I'd been furloughed or had retired when my state pensioned kicked in. I still have no specific date planned to stop working, and it may be a good thing for all the family if I continue working so I'm not stuck at home getting grumpy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 14:24 
Ready for action

Scotland reporting today that current infections are around 4500 and R rate between 0.6 and 0.8 so we should hopefully move to phase 2 next week which is allowing one other household into your home (whilst maintaining social distancing between you). Very excited at the prospect of my in laws being able to see the kids again, especially since the last time they saw our youngest properly she was about 3 weeks old and now she’s almost four months!

I’m still feeling better about the slow and steady progress we’re making up here. The UK news conference is mental, i have no idea how they will be able to tell which measure impacts on any possible future increase in R rate since they’re changing so much at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 18:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Tories have spent most of the last decades ousting capable politicians in favour of like minded ideologues and yes-men, and now they're seeing the fruit of that - when tested, they are revealed to be profoundly lacking in something none of them ever realised they needed - the ability to actually govern.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 18:15 

They got distracted by other stuff at the start of the year, and left it too late to understand what was going on. Not helped by having the living personification of the Donning-Kruger effect on the key scientific committee and having the Prime Minister's ear.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 22:05 
Hello Hello Hello

From an IOM perspective things are looking really good.

Latest is:

No new cases for 22 days.
At 28 days (two full infection cycles of 14 days) we will officially consider the virus to be 'locally eliminated'.
Social distancing requirements are being removed completely from Monday 15th June. (Except for certain health and care environments.)
Island's borders will effectively remain closed with a few specific exceptions, and all those who are allowed to travel here must self-isolate for 14 days. (i.e. We've got our shit together, it's elsewhere we're not so sure about.)

Announcement on restaurants and pubs (yay!) next week. (Our usual pub group is really, really hoping we can get out for beers soon.)

Basically, we're very close to announcing 100% Covid free and things going back to normal. (All shops are already open again with social distancing, pubs can serve meals outside, and suchlike.)

60mph speed limit from Monday, should go back to normal at the end of the month, although that doesn't matter to me now as I drive a twenty year old automatic Toyota Camry.

What did we do differently here? Main things are closed our borders early, had full track and trace right from the start, and we also locked down. In addition to that a well regarded police force who policed the lockdown by consent but didn't suffer any fools either, a few folks found themselves in prison after properly taking the piss (and ignoring warnings). (Compare and contrast with that lovely Dominic Cummings chap who appears to be above the law, and effectively neutralised any moral authority the UK government might have to tell anyone what to do, or not do.)

I'm just sorry you folks in the UK have such a bunch of incompetent fucking clowns running the show.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 22:53 

I'd say the main thing that you've done differently is being a tiny island with the population of a town, it will always dwindle faster. There couldn't really be an easier scenario for managing a virus once borders were closed. But even so 336 cases and 24 people out of 80000 died placing it not really that far behind the rest of the UK. And there are many places in the UK that did better without that geographical advantage. Not really anything to write home about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:14 
Hello Hello Hello

But that's the key thing, we closed our borders whilst the UK was still jetting in tens of thousands of people from all over the world every single day and letting them just disperse into the general population, and we had contact tracing right from the start.

Yes we're a small island, but the UK is also an island state.

Numbers wise it's true ours don't look great, but of course small numbers can make for relatively large percentages in a small population, unfortunately we basically had a single large cluster down South that was tracked back to someone infected coming in shortly before we closed the borders.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:45 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Driving home from work yesterday, I'd swear I'd travelled back in time to before the lockdown. Groups of friends seem to have bought their own booze and then met up to sit outside bars that may be closed, but still have seating outside. Social distancing totally ignored. Groups of teens wandering around, also not distancing.

The only clue to lockdown was the queues outside those food shops and take-aways that were open.

When I got home my next-door neighbours had several members of their family around for a barbecue, clearly not just one extra person in their bubble. Two houses down were also having a noisy party and playing lots of games with far many more people than those who live there. Anothe party in one of the houses in the next road, backing on to ours. Lots of traffic noise, regular police sirens in the distance as we always used to hear on Saturday nights.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:06 

My friend’s husband went into work yesterday for training before reopening Monday (he works in a store in Birmingham), and said that petiole were just milking about with nothing today, police dispersed a group of teens hanging around outside a fast food place (Like they weren’t going to walk 200m and regroup) but also how surprised he was that he saw nobody wearing a mask, especially on the bus. Seeing as it is the law (is that right?) to wear a face covering in the bus from tomorrow, it seems odd that absolutely nobody was yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:40 
Sitting balls-back folder

@mimi have you got a version of the cthulu balaclava cut down to face mask? Possibly with a winter snood add-on?

My place is probably going for some version of maximal-wfh. Keep production and other need-facilities types in, have a few hot desks, convert the rest of the main building to meeting spaces, convert-or-sell the other building.

Unfortunately defining the core strategy has been pushed to the umbrella hedge fund so it's going to take at least a month longer to come out and then it'll presumably be unworkable as it has to apply to 13 opco's spanning the globe.

My sense of smell has gone. My sinuses are acting up a bit but this doesn't normally happen...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 13:02 
Gogmagog

Quote:
My sense of smell has gone. My sinuses are acting up a bit but this doesn't normally happen...

Hopefully it is something of a nothing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:13 
Sitting balls-back folder

This grilling meat smells bloody amazing. Cured!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 0:46 
Can you dig it?

Hearthly wrote:
Yes we're a small island, but the UK is also an island state.

Yeahhhhh Straya's done alright, things are effectively close to normal for most intents and purposes, at least in the little corner I live in. I'm not sure if it's due to any particularly adept governance or if it's just been just luck and circumstance. Perhaps its a bit of all three.

It's only when I speak to family back home (Surrey) that I realise how bad things were/are.

To be honest I've been a bit blasé about it. I was never one to be doing a lot of hanging around in big groups and we didn't have a massive social life anyway so the effect I felt was minimal really.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:42 
Gogmagog

Smoothie moves in the drive in queue

Reply to topic  [ 2357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 48  Next