Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:39 

Findus Fop wrote:
In Fop's endless fumbling around a new car*, we're now veering into the idea of having two cars, given I expect to be WFH more in the future so two cars should be helpful for dividing and conquering school runs and Mrs Fop's work.

So we're now considering a second-hand BMW i3, given 90% of our journeys are sub-100 miles. Also, it looks fucking cool. That or the Renault Zoe, which is much less cool, and much cheaper, but you need to lease the battery.

But now Boris has muttered something about £6k scrappage relief when you switch to a new electric. Which I don't think we'd do, because of the need for two cars, but I do wonder the impact it will have on used electric car prices.

*Say what you like about Hearthly, at least he knows how to shit or get off the pot.

I think the new Zoe comes with an owned battery option too, or they may have done away with battery lease altogether, one or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 15:57 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
In Fop's endless fumbling around a new car*, we're now veering into the idea of having two cars, given I expect to be WFH more in the future so two cars should be helpful for dividing and conquering school runs and Mrs Fop's work.

So we're now considering a second-hand BMW i3, given 90% of our journeys are sub-100 miles. Also, it looks fucking cool. That or the Renault Zoe, which is much less cool, and much cheaper, but you need to lease the battery.

But now Boris has muttered something about £6k scrappage relief when you switch to a new electric. Which I don't think we'd do, because of the need for two cars, but I do wonder the impact it will have on used electric car prices.

*Say what you like about Hearthly, at least he knows how to shit or get off the pot.

I think the new Zoe comes with an owned battery option too, or they may have done away with battery lease altogether, one or the other.

It's the I or something, isn't it.

To be honest, leasing a battery has its benefits, in so far as you don't have to worry so much about battery degradation, but it punches a massive hole in any fuel savings one hopes to make by driving electric.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 16:06 

You don't really have to worry that much about battery degradation anyway, though. Buy something with a good bit more range than you're everyday needs and it'll have more than enough range for a pretty long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 16:59 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
You don't really have to worry that much about battery degradation anyway, though. Buy something with a good bit more range than you're everyday needs and it'll have more than enough range for a pretty long time.

Trudat. Also the BMW i3 comes with a small petrol engine, extending the range by ~50 miles, if you're in a pinch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 17:24 

I'd get the one without the range extender unless you plan on needing it. Anything less to go wrong on a 2nd hand Beemer is a major plus point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 18:07 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
I'd get the one without the range extender unless you plan on needing it. Anything less to go wrong on a 2nd hand Beemer is a major plus point.

Christ, are they really that bad in terms of reliability?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 18:16 

I don't know about those really, but pure electric cars in general are more reliable than the old-fangled ones with engines.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 19:26 
Decapodian

Whereas I would only buy an i3 with an REX as that makes a big difference to which journeys are feasible or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 20:48 
Hibernating Druid

Get two old Toyota Camrys.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:11 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Whereas I would only buy an i3 with an REX as that makes a big difference to which journeys are feasible or not.

I just can't stand hybrids, I think they're hacky as fuck and a dead end. Also one of the very best things about EVs is thinking of all that utter crap that you've had to look after and get fixed before on other cars that isn't there, oil, exhausts, starter motors, timing belts, water pumps, radiators, thermostats etc etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:13 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Ervins has painted his engine bay and I've nearly finished with the exhausts, one more weld to go but it needs positioning and tacking on the engine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:26 
Hibernating Druid

You should do a sideline of Steampunk bagpipes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 21:42 

I also got dust on my etnies some time last week and it hasn't come off yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 22:09 
Prince of Fops

Zardoz wrote:
Get two old Toyota Camrys.

Bolt them both together for double the range!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 22:10 
ugvm'er at heart...

Get 500, weld them all together in a line, get in the back and get out the front, and you'll be at your destination.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly, noun.

An act which is simultaneously the most and least expected thing to happen.

Usage, To do a Hearthly.

It's down to several factors, and making the move to ditch the i30N has been building up in me since the Covid thing kicked off.

1) We've been talking for a little while about getting a family campervan to use for holidays once the DAYS OF PLAGUE have passed. (Jnr is super keen.) Those things are expensive, and I had £20K tied up in the i30N.

2) I've always liked having a nice car for when I had the daily commute, particularly over the derestricted mountain road, with the move to full time home working (or near enough), that's vanished.

3) I've also realised over the last few years that I've pretty much stopped driving for pleasure, back when I had the S4 (which was not that long ago, documented earlier in this thread), I'd quite routinely just jump in it and go for a drive of an evening, I've scarcely done that in the i30N at all, even before the world ended.

4) The enforcement of a 40mph speed limit since we went into lockdown has made me realise that (1) There's no real justification for barrelling along the mountain mile at 150mph+, and (2) That driving slowly can actually be quite pleasurable. The speed limit is increased to 60mph from Monday and goes back to derestricted (where applicable) at the end of the month, but I just couldn't see myself ever going back to how I used to drive before the whole Covid thing kicked off. I'm sure that the Camry will cruise quite happily at 60-70mph once the speed limits are increased, and I've come to think, 'Hey, that's fast enough', and whilst it isn't a quick car by any stretch of the imagination, it's got enough poke to overtake when required.

5) There's something quite relaxing about having a car that's pretty much worth fuck all and has no more depreciation to do. It was pretty galling having the i30N sat at the back of the house, damn near literally gathering dust, losing about £300-£400 per month in value. (TBH, thinking about it, far more like £400 per month (if not more), than £300.)

It was a bit of a wrench initially to see the i30N go, but in the days following I've become sure it was the right thing to do, it was only going to carry on depreciating like a bastard, during which time it'd (1) Hardly be getting any use and (2) I wouldn't be much minded to 'drive it properly' anyway.

Rewinding the clock, if I'd have known this Covid thing was coming over the horizon, I'd just have kept the Focus ST.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:46 
Hibernating Druid

You’ll be buying a performance car within 2 months.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:25 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly, noun.

Usage, To do a Hearthly.

It's down to several factors, and making the move to ditch the i30N has been building up in me since the Covid thing kicked off.

1) We've been talking for a little while about getting a family campervan to use for holidays once the DAYS OF PLAGUE have passed. (Jnr is super keen.) Those things are expensive, and I had £20K tied up in the i30N.

2) I've always liked having a nice car for when I had the daily commute, particularly over the derestricted mountain road, with the move to full time home working (or near enough), that's vanished.

3) I've also realised over the last few years that I've pretty much stopped driving for pleasure, back when I had the S4 (which was not that long ago, documented earlier in this thread), I'd quite routinely just jump in it and go for a drive of an evening, I've scarcely done that in the i30N at all, even before the world ended.

4) The enforcement of a 40mph speed limit since we went into lockdown has made me realise that (1) There's no real justification for barrelling along the mountain mile at 150mph+, and (2) That driving slowly can actually be quite pleasurable. The speed limit is increased to 60mph from Monday and goes back to derestricted (where applicable) at the end of the month, but I just couldn't see myself ever going back to how I used to drive before the whole Covid thing kicked off. I'm sure that the Camry will cruise quite happily at 60-70mph once the speed limits are increased, and I've come to think, 'Hey, that's fast enough', and whilst it isn't a quick car by any stretch of the imagination, it's got enough poke to overtake when required.

5) There's something quite relaxing about having a car that's pretty much worth fuck all and has no more depreciation to do. It was pretty galling having the i30N sat at the back of the house, damn near literally gathering dust, losing about £300-£400 per month in value. (TBH, thinking about it, far more like £400 per month (if not more), than £300.)

It was a bit of a wrench initially to see the i30N go, but in the days following I've become sure it was the right thing to do, it was only going to carry on depreciating like a bastard, during which time it'd (1) Hardly be getting any use and (2) I wouldn't be much minded to 'drive it properly' anyway.

Rewinding the clock, if I'd have known this Covid thing was coming over the horizon, I'd just have kept the Focus ST.

That all makes sense, TBF.

Also, I'd love love love a campervan, but they are crazy expensive. The new VW California's are beautiful things, but you're looking at the best part of £60-odd grand.

Even second hand, it's amazing how they retain their value, even after 50k+ miles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:32 

Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly, noun.

Usage, To do a Hearthly.

Also, I'd love love love a campervan, but they are crazy expensive. The new VW California's are beautiful things, but you're looking at the best part of £60-odd grand.

Even second hand, it's amazing how they retain their value, even after 50k+ miles.

That's the thing though I guess, you can have one and as long as you look after it then it won't rob you too much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:39 
Prince of Fops

markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly, noun.

Usage, To do a Hearthly.

That's the thing though I guess, you can have one and as long as you look after it then it won't rob you too much.

totally. Ownership of a campervan is a daydream that crops up on a monthly basis, I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:41 

Findus Fop wrote:
markg wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Hearthly, noun.

Usage, To do a Hearthly.

totally. Ownership of a campervan is a daydream that crops up on a monthly basis, I reckon.

I think what puts me off is do you run another car and just have it sat there most of the time or try and use it as a normal car as well day to day? Neither is very ideal. I dunno, might try hiring one a few times and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:45 

If you’ve never stayed in a campervan - they have this non-obvious disadvantage where every time you want to drive anywhere you have to pack everything away and pick up everything in your pitch. And you can’t (easily) use awnings to expand your space, either. And when you come back, you need to re-level them, hook up the grey water tank, etc etc. It’s a serious ballache.

There’s a reason you often see them driving around with pushbikes on the back. Or, in the US, a massive bus-sized ‘van with a car on tow.

(Source: used to own a caravan, researched campervans a lot before getting it.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 
Hello Hello Hello

markg wrote:

Yeah campervans are bonkers money, but they retain a decent chunk of that money as long as they're kept in good condition.

It seems that £25-£30K gets a nice one that's a few years old with moderate mileage on it, so that's probably around the price point we'll be targeting.

Jnr is keen on travelling but doing it via 'traditional' means is rather challenging due to her autism, for example when we travel we have to take a full set of her bedding with us as she needs to have her own, familiar bedding in a hotel. That's fun in terms of encumbrance, baggage and excess luggage charges when flying.....

With a campervan we can have a known, safe space, properly configured to suit her and with all her favourite and familiar things, that she has control over and no one will mess about with, and can always be returned to whenever required.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:52 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
If you’ve never stayed in a campervan - they have this non-obvious disadvantage where every time you want to drive anywhere you have to pack everything away and pick up everything in your pitch. And you can’t (easily) use awnings to expand your space, either. And when you come back, you need to re-level them, hook up the grey water tank, etc etc. It’s a serious ballache.

There’s a reason you often see them driving around with pushbikes on the back. Or, in the US, a massive bus-sized ‘van with a car on tow.

(Source: used to own a caravan, researched campervans a lot before getting it.)

Excellent point. I've only used a campervan once, for a week, where we stopped in two places, and didn't need to drive anywhere in between. Electric Brompton FTW.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:27 
Hibernating Druid

Buy a campervan with a campervan on the back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:37 
Prince of Fops

Has anyone ever seen a Camryvan?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:03 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, they’re a sweet whip. https://www.reddit.com/r/Shitty_Car_Mod ... per_camry/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 19:46 
Hibernating Druid

krazywookie wrote:
dust on my etnies

Is the name of our Emo band.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 20:08 
Sitting balls-back folder

The valley road has been increasingly nuts since lockdown started - we'd get bad noise the first couple of nice Sundays as the bikes came out, and that's part of spring. Yay, summer's here!

It's constant now, all weekend, week evenings, even weekdays.

This evening I finally snapped and called in a breach of peace when someone was heel-and-fucking-toeing through the curves.

Fuck that guy and, as a result, fuck all the other guys I'd just about been bearing.

It's not just lack of other noise, unmodified cars just cause shitty tyre noise, what we have is constant ridiculous exhaust noise.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 22:39 
Hibernating Druid

You live on a race course?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:12 
Can you dig it?

Zardoz wrote:

Did you have that saved, waiting for the right moment, or was it just a lucky spontaneous find?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BikNorton wrote:
This evening I finally snapped and called in a breach of peace when someone was heel-and-fucking-toeing through the curves.

I do that sometimes, to make sure I still can. Back when I used to drive cars, at least.

I'm not really sure how doing that would make things louder - or was it just a particularly loud car anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 13:25 

I'm guessing it's some poncy Porsche with autoblip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 13:46 
Hibernating Druid

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Did you have that saved, waiting for the right moment, or was it just a lucky spontaneous find?

A magician never reveals his secrets!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 18:48 

krazywookie wrote:
I'm guessing it's some poncy Porsche with autoblip

Unless they're known for fucking it up, no.

@grim... i tried to say - unmodified cars, including my surprisingly norty Skoda - just send road noise over. All these ridiculously noisy cars all day most days are getting on our tits. Add trying to do proper race driving as well, get fucked.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 18:52 

Different type of guzzler - a Chinook just did a high speed low level pass right over our house. Few hundred feet max. Tail open. Coming straight out of the sun.

Wait, put those last two the other way round.

An A400M Atlas chugged lengthwise down the valley the other week too.

THAT we can live with. Exhilarating stuff.

The low flying jets tanking over the house so fast and low things vibrate and the chickens shit themselves not so much, but still better than dicks with shit mufflers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 19:18 

I'm sure we'd feel differently if these runs were guaranteed to happen at least every fifteen minutes, usually more like at least 2-3 tubes every five minutes. All day. Most days.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 21:54 
Decapodian

BikNorton wrote:
Different type of guzzler - a Chinook just did a high speed low level pass right over our house. Few hundred feet max. Tail open. Coming straight out of the sun.

Wait, put those last two the other way round.

An A400M Atlas chugged lengthwise down the valley the other week too.

THAT we can live with. Exhilarating stuff.

The low flying jets tanking over the house so fast and low things vibrate and the chickens shit themselves not so much, but still better than dicks with shit mufflers.

Where do you live?
We got buzzed by a P51 Mustang while out for a walk on Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 23:00 

Great witley is the nearest place on a map.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:35 
Decapodian

BikNorton wrote:
Great witley is the nearest place on a map.

Not all that far away then. I didn’t realise there was that much air traffic that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 22:57 

There isn't normally. Jets have only been over a couple of times while we've been in, over the 3 years. TOO MANY TIMES.

The other big lug that was reported circling Brum a couple of weeks ago (that was the day we got the atlas) circled and flew right over our house for a few minutes this evening apparently. I was on a call and assumed it just more thunder :'( Helen took photos, none of them close up.

With any luck we'll get the ospreys again soon, they seem keen to show us their toys at the mo, haven't seen them for at least a year now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Camry is in for a service today, it's all running fine but given it's a 20 year old car that's been off the road for a few months I thought it was sensible to give it some standard maintenance and a general health check.

Also they're getting someone out to it to regas the aircon (doesn't blow cold, I knew this already and had the price knocked down a bit to reflect it).

Plus there's a clonking noise from the back when going over bumps (probably bushes or something), so they're going to take a look at that too.

There's nothing really expensive to sort on these old Camrys, but I don't mind spending a bit of money to get it all tip-top and sorted.

I realise I am tempting fate on a massive scale there, I'll know by the end of the day if my optimism is dreadfully misplaced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:45 
Hibernating Druid

Giphy "popcorn":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/tyqcJoNjNv0Fq/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Giphy "it'll be fine":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/UKF08uKqWch0Y/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmm, let's hope that isn't a sinister portent of things to come.

THANKS GIPHY.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:38 
Unpossible!

That reminds me. Re gas Air con

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 18:27 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Deposit paid on a car.. 2019 Skoda Octavia 1.6l Diesel SE Technology. It is not a plush as the SE L I had, but a lot newer and only 11000 miles on the clock.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 18:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also has more front of car.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 18:52 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Cras wrote:
Also has more front of car.

Always a bonus..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 19:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Camry Service News:

The clonking from the back is indeed just bushes (anti roll bar bushes, specifically), which are cheap to buy and get fitted, except for the slight problem that due to the age of the car their normal parts supplier is having trouble locating some. Fallback position on that is they'll get the part number for me, I'll track some down, and then they can fit them.

Two bits of the exhaust are borderline but OK for now, will probably need attending to within a year or so. Again, not expensive.

Other than that, totally clean bill of health, it's a 20 year old car that's basically in perfect working order.

Rest of the service was as expected, oil change, oil filter change etc, full check over the car as a whole.

CAMRY IS THE FOREVER CAR.

EDIT - Oh yes the aircon regas guy couldn't make it to the garage today, so I'll arrange that with him separately, they've given me his mobile number.

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 613  Next