Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
 Post subject: Re: Boardgame Thread: Let's organise a beexordgame night.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:06 

Did my bit to support local business. At least they'll look good on the shelf.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:18 

MaliA wrote:
https://print-and-play.asmodee.fun/ print and play games Dixit, dobble and some others

Thanks for this!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 
Ready for action

Has anyone played Detective: A Modern Crime boardgame? It’s fantastic. You play as detectives solving a case with a very involved story told through the medium of cards with decision points that take you to new cards or info, an online database where you can look up evidence or case files you encounter, and by creating mind maps to link all of the evidence you find.

I played the first case ages ago and really enjoyed it but it takes a few hours to complete a case and we wanted to play the second one with the same group so it never ended up happening again. In lockdown I thought it might be a game that could work on zoom so bought an expansion; LA Crimes. It’s set in the 80s. We’ve been playing with three households over zoom with only my house having the game and it’s working fantastically well. Finishing case three tonight then we have one free case left before the next expansion comes out in June. If you’re looking for a game to play with friends remotely, I really recommend it and happy to share few tips on how to make it work super easily over zoom.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 
Ready for action

New boardgame arrived today! I preordered it a while ago and have been seeing increasing levels of praise for it so excited for it to finally arrive. Apparently they’ve released rules and material to make it work over zoom when only one house a game copy so might give that a look if any of my friends have the appetite for it.

The game is Forgotten Waters and it’s another Crossroads game from Plaid Hat, using that same Crossroads mechanic that they introduced in Dead of Winter but this time in a pirate theme and using a map book similar to the type found in Stuffed Fables or Near and Far.

Attachment:
7F40D7F6-C138-4B14-9F6A-6C963F6279E4.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective completed over the weekend, we did cases 9 and 10. Immediately ordered the 2 expansions, so another 20 cases to do!

It's a really nice game, and perfect for 2 people. Lots of headscratching and you can very much "play it how you want", it's more of a detctive roleplaying/mystery rather than a boardgame as such.

Two thumbs up!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:45 
Awesome
Yes

Trooper wrote:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective completed over the weekend, we did cases 9 and 10. Immediately ordered the 2 expansions, so another 20 cases to do!

It's a really nice game, and perfect for 2 people. Lots of headscratching and you can very much "play it how you want", it's more of a detctive roleplaying/mystery rather than a boardgame as such.

Two thumbs up!

We've played about three cases from this but we haven't played it now for ages.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 23:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Two cases into the first expansion for Sherlock Holmes, the first four cases deal with Jack the ripper, which is clever and interesting due to the subject matter and how it weaves real history into the game.
Unfortunately, it makes for a poor game though. Whereas the normal cases have a solution and a couple of "sidequests" (for want of a better term) that you have to answer questions on at the end to score points, the jack the ripper cases have the same questions at the end, but with no case to solve as such. We can be 2 hours and 15 leads in and still have no idea if we are done or not, as there is no way of even guessing what the questions will be!

It goes back to normal from case 5 onward, with fictional murders or thefts or whatever to solve, so hopefully those are back to the quality level of the main game.
We'll most likely finish off the jack the ripper cases first though, as we are halfway through them and the subject matter is interesting at least, but it's a bit of a disappointment after how good the main game was. I can see what they were trying to do, but it just doesn't work very well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:11 

SUSD review Go. Quinns' enthusiasm for the subject and his description of the agonies he's faced trying to understand it make it compelling viewing. I'm almost tempted to look into online/Switch tutorial systems as it's always been (along with Bridge) a game I've wanted to learn but as with all hobbies it's a question of how much time I'm prepared to sink into it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:03 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/pa ... ason-zero/

New Pandemic Legacy is out next month, and reviews seem to be very good.
It's £70 though...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 17:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/se ... e-the-hero

Personally I thought The 7th Continent was crap, but it's impossible to buy the kickstarter edition anymore and it's worth a fair amount on ebay. So if you wanted to try 7th Citadel out, I expect you'd get your money back if you didn't like it. Other people rave about the game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 17:47 

Past me backed a few games on Kickstarter a while back. They are now starting to arrive and most likely will remain on my floor in their shrink-wrap for a good few months at least. Future me will, I'm sure, appreciate Past me's enthusiasm for the platform.

Reply to topic  [ 1511 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31