Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crafty stuff
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 14:04 
Prince of Fops

My mouth is getting sweaty just looking at that.

It's most excellent though.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 14:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's a very very loose tweed, that I had even had to beef up with interface to keep the shape. It's not too bad to breath through.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 14:24 
Best
Board Mother

It's a bit Hannibal Lecter. :P

Good work though, it looks very tidy. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 14:43 
Unpossible!

Team with flat cap for max Britishness

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 19:12 
Excellent Painter

Do they still use urine in the dye setting process for tweed? If so, not sure I’d want that as a mask

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 19:19 
Isn't that lovely?

DBSnappa wrote:
Do they still use urine in the dye setting process for tweed? If so, not sure I’d want that as a mask

I watched a thing on the internet the other day, and so I know for a fact that they use Urea, but in the majority of cases they no longer source it from urine (although I bet there are some that still do)

I watched it on the internet so it must be true.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 21:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

Its a £4 "tweed" blanket from IKEA, I think I'm pretty safe.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 21:26 
Best
Board Mother

Trooper wrote:
Its a £4 "tweed" blanket from IKEA, I think I'm pretty safe.

Good work!

Now I've been getting to grips with my sewing machine I can't wait to wander around their haberdashery again. I've got some cheap fleece from there thanks to a heads up from Mimi.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 19:07 

Catching up with the Ikea fabric appreciation, I used one of those same fleece blankets to quilt the insoles of these that I made today. Actually, the outer fabric is from Ikea, too.

The fabric from the non-slip soles is something I’ve had in the cupboard for *years* now, so I’m glad to have used it. Only took a quarter of a yard of each of the fabrics, and an A4 size piece for the soles. I made this same pattern about seven years ago, and they are so comfortable on.

I serged the sole liners with the overlocker, which one day I will overcome my fear of. It gives a really comfortable finish to the insoles.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 20:03 
Hibernating Druid

They look great!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 21:25 

Thanks, Z. I’m really happy with them as they feel great on, but also because I’ve not been able to draw/paint/knit etc since the end of February, so this is one tiny step to the good, and that makes a big difference :)

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 21:31 
Best
Board Mother

Zardoz wrote:
They look great!

:this:

They look really good and I love that non-slip fabric!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 21:35 

Well I’ve got enough for another pair (on top of the pair I’ve already cut out to make next weekend), so if you ever decide to give them a go just let me know and it can be in the post to you.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 22:02 
Best
Board Mother

Mimi wrote:
Well I’ve got enough for another pair (on top of the pair I’ve already cut out to make next weekend), so if you ever decide to give them a go just let me know and it can be in the post to you.

Ooh, maybe, thank you.

I've started trying some simple things just to learn my machine and get my lines straight, but haven't had time this weekend unfortunately. :(

Hopefully next weekend, I'm itching to make some 'proper' things. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:22 

Don’t worry too much about straight lines! Just make sure not to push the fabric towards the machine, let it feed itself. Make something medium sized and quick so you feel accomplished. Simple rectangular shopping totes are great for this, and always handy. Can’t wait to see your creations.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:25 
sneering elitist

Oh Mimi, you're so talented - they are gorgeous :luv:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 19:44 

I’ve been making clothes for D as I was struggling to find anything online (especially short pyjamas), so decided to not be scared of the overlocker any more. It’s really nice as it gives a lot more flexibility sewing knit fabrics (jersey, French Terry, etc). I’m really happy that he’s got some bits to wear through the summer days and nights now, and I’m not scared of the machine any more.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 23:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

There's not a thing there that I wouldn't wear! Nice one Mimi!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:07 

Deal. I’ll send you a pair of dinosaur short shorts. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:56 
Decapodian

It's all great, but I think my favourite touch is the labels

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 

Ah, I’ve not actually sewn them in. I just put them there as I had a couple next to me because some company sent me 400 to review. Enough for several lifetimes :D

I have some special purple and yellow ones for Darwin’s clothes, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:59 
Excellent Member

Woah, Mimi, they're so amazing! Such lovely fabrics, too!!

Overlockers do look scary, and that's without the thought of actually using one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:03 

It’s the chomping knife that put me off to start with, but actually it’s pretty easy to control. There’s less room around the presser foot, but you get used to it quickly. Threading the four different thread routes is daunting at first, but you don’t change thread often (well, I don’t. I just keep the white thread in as it’s too spendy getting different colours of the four huge thread cones) :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:05 

I made an AC version of the hoodie this morning, too:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:13 
Excellent Member

I made my mum a quilt while we were all in lockdown, it was originally going to be for Christmas but her birthday was in May and she was starting to get really down with not being able to see people and being shut in the house all the time so I stepped up production. I like to take my time with quilts normally, I don't like to feel like I *have* to spend every weekend working on them because it becomes a chore.

She cried a lot when she opened it. I left it on her doorstep and she face-timed me once she'd got it. I gave it lots of hugs before I wrapped it for her.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:26 

That is so beautiful, and so special. I can well imagine she’d have cried, and I think a quilt is one of the most special and beautiful gifts you can give, especially because it is made to be cuddled and keep you warm and comforted. Is it quilted on a standard machine? Have you seen those special long-armed quilters?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:57 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I love this thread, it has cheered me up, you are so talented.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 14:54 
Excellent Member

Mimi wrote:
That is so beautiful, and so special. I can well imagine she’d have cried, and I think a quilt is one of the most special and beautiful gifts you can give, especially because it is made to be cuddled and keep you warm and comforted. Is it quilted on a standard machine? Have you seen those special long-armed quilters?

Thanks, I enjoy giving them for that exact reason. Making them is nice and relaxing if I get a good balance between needing to do it and wanting to do it.

Yes, on a standard machine! Which was very hard because I quilted around the stars. I've done straight lines on a super-king sized one before, which was difficult too. The long-arm machines are amazing! It's like a massive doodling pen that sews! But they're something like £10,000 - £20,000 I think? There is one lady on the island who offers it as a service but I think that is a few hundred pounds per quilt.

I'm currently looking for a new machine, mine was only about £80 when I bought it over 10 years ago so not the most powerful or sophisticated, free-motion quilting on it is harder than it should be. Although, it could just be me and a new, spangly machine will make no difference at all!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 16:44 

Yeah, same. Mine was a little more expensive (I think about £160) but she’s 20 years old at least, so there are a lot of new features that I’d like, but realistically I’d love something with variable speed settings (because I put my foot to the floor when I sew... probably why I don’t drive, I just drift into full speed, that little electronic auto back tack and free motion speed control. I friend of mine has fancy quilted a king size on a standard machine, but she does the wadding in sections. I keep looking at the low-mid range ones, and I really like the look of this one: Brother FS100WT Free Motion Embroidery/Sewing and Quilting Machine, White https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LVS9A1 ... 8EbM0RB655

I looked to see how much the electronic long arm services were once, and I think it was about £120 for a baby quilt climbing to £600 or something for a king size, which is just astounding.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 16:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

I would love an auto buttonhole that actually just worked, and a foot triggered thread cutter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 17:03 

Trooper wrote:
I would love an auto buttonhole that actually just worked, and a foot triggered thread cutter.

My thread cutter (simple side-mounted blade) annoys the heck out of me. It’s positioned so that cutting the threads leaves the spool thread about 1cm too short, and if you start sewing without pulling the threads through further, it whips the spool thread back and unthreads the top thread out of the needle and then the tension release means that it pulls all the way back out of the threading path. If it were just mounted a cm further up (and there is no reason for it not to be) then it wouldn’t be an issue.

You’d think I’d learn to pull those threads through as I’ve owned the machine half my life, but nope.

I’ve never had a problem with my buttonhole feet (I have two, one a three step and the other... I can’t remember, but it was from an old Brother machine) but I like those with the different buttonhole styles for thick overcoat and woollen fabrics, too. They’re smart.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 17:45 
ugvm'er at heart...

The industrial machines I learnt on had a thread cutter on the throttle pedal, when you let off the throttle and tapped your heel, it cut the thread. It was amazing. They also had knee pads to lift the foot.
We also had a machine that had a 1 press auto buttonhole. Just choose the type you wanted, press the button and it did the whole thing... sometimes... if the cloth wasn't too thick, or too thin, or too slippy, or the thread didn't catch, or the rubber foot didn't come off, or you didn't knock the table, or it wasn't Tuesday.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 18:46 
“Fun” Member

Since I have to wear a mask around the hospital campus and hate the papery ones work provide I decided to make one for myself - though I can only wear my own to and from the building/clinics and the papery ones while actually working.
I made the swimmer/doughnut one by hand at the start of last week when the face mask rule came in, I think it turned out fairly well.
I ordered some fat quarters from eBay so I could make another for myself and one for Matt too. I decided hand sewing them both was a bit too much effort so did them on my machine this afternoon. I’m really happy with how they’ve all turned out, but I did have to seam rip the red/bees one since I was overly confident with the success of flowers/bees and immediately sewed the wrong pieces together.
Other than a few clothes alterations, I’ve only undertaken one other real project in the last 12+ years (a whale plush toy for my niece using the swimmers and doughnuts fabrics) so this was a nice way to test the waters before jumping into attempting to make some simple clothes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 19:51 

How funny, I almost made a whale plush this afternoon, but decided in a manatee last minute.

The masks look ace, Sally, and really nice with the fun fabric choices. I’ve made a number for family and some local friends, but I haven’t taken photos as I feel incredibly stressed when I’m sewing them. I do like that yours look very jolly and welcoming. Really nice job, and they look a good fit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 21:58 
Decapodian

OH THE HUGE MANATEE!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 23:45 
“Fun” Member

Oh my goodness, that’s so cute!
It has to be on your face, people talking to you are going to look at it, might as well make it a cute fabric. I wanted to get the Harry Potter fat quarters from Aldi but they had sold out.
This was my proto-whale, for the one I gave my niece I swapped the fabrics and popped some eyes on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:15 

He’s super cute. Again, I love the fabric ^_^

I saw a humpback whale pattern once, made entirely from old denim jeans, which has a couple of nice touches (like little pinpricks on the underside for texture). It’s been copied a hundred tunes, but I *think* this is the original: http://valaanvillapaita.blogspot.com/p/ ... slate.html

I’d like to make that the next time a pair of Russell’s jeans come to the end of their life.

I know Ikea seems like a far distant dream at the moment, but if life normalises and you ever make it to one, and if you ever make toys then their £1.50 pillows hold a huge amount of stuffing for the price and it works out much cheaper than dedicated bags of polyfil.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 
“Fun” Member

Yea, I’ve seen that recreated on Reddit a few times. It’s brilliant, so well thought out.
I used a couple of old skirts that didn’t fit right, I hadn’t started material hoarding at that point and loved the fabric.
For the filling I used the wool insulation that comes in the HelloFresh boxes we get. I washed it, tumble dried it, and pulled it into little fluffy wads. But thanks for the tip!
I felt like a cheapskate since I didn’t spend anything on it but I like making her presents while she’s young enough that she’s not so bothered about getting specific things for Christmas/birthdays.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:47 

Pffft. Cheapskate? You poured love, time and skill into the gift, and that’s worth more than money. Hello fresh use wool as insulation? That’s really cool! I did not know that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 20:38 
Best
Board Mother

I keep meaning to post in this thread!

Mimi, I love those clothes you have made, the clouds are a particular favourite. :luv:

Flis, that quilt is amazing. You have such patience and dedication, what a beautiful gift.

@"Fun"Sally, meant to say. There are still some HP FQs on the Aldi app, with free delivery if you spend over £20. Your masks look great. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 23:26 
Hibernating Druid

Taught my kids about screen printing and knocked up a new t-shirt design myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 23:27 
Hibernating Druid

Usually do it with photo emulsion but this was all freehand/drawing fluid. Enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:40 
Master of dodgy spelling....

“Fun”Sally wrote:
Since I have to wear a mask around the hospital campus and hate the papery ones work provide I decided to make one for myself - though I can only wear my own to and from the building/clinics and the papery ones while actually working.
I made the swimmer/doughnut one by hand at the start of last week when the face mask rule came in, I think it turned out fairly well.
I ordered some fat quarters from eBay so I could make another for myself and one for Matt too. I decided hand sewing them both was a bit too much effort so did them on my machine this afternoon. I’m really happy with how they’ve all turned out, but I did have to seam rip the red/bees one since I was overly confident with the success of flowers/bees and immediately sewed the wrong pieces together.
Other than a few clothes alterations, I’ve only undertaken one other real project in the last 12+ years (a whale plush toy for my niece using the swimmers and doughnuts fabrics) so this was a nice way to test the waters before jumping into attempting to make some simple clothes.

I love the bees.. those are awesome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 20:10 
Excellent Member

Wow, Zardoz, they look amazing! Great job! Did the kids enjoy it? I love the work of theirs that you put on Twitter occasionally, they're very artistic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 19:15 
Hibernating Druid

Cheers Flis! Yeah they loved it :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 13:04 
Excellent Painter

They look great Z man!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 15:42 
Decapodian

This is as good a place as any to ask.
I've bought some of the Adidas face coverings that fit really well at the front, but the elasticity loops pull a bit too much around my ears.

Has anyone here made a mask extender to take the pressure off?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 16:01 
Unpossible!

MrsPaz crocheted a load for work, but a paperclip will do the same job

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 16:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I've bought some of the Adidas face coverings that fit really well at the front, but the elasticity loops pull a bit too much around my ears.

My nephew 3D printed a couple of thousand for local hospitals, they seem to make quite a difference. I've taken to wearing these which are a million times more comfortable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 16:22 
Decapodian

Cras wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

My nephew 3D printed a couple of thousand for local hospitals, they seem to make quite a difference. I've taken to wearing these which are a million times more comfortable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Yep, I've got a few buffs that I use on the bike which is my other option.

Reply to topic  [ 814 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next