Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:58 
SavyGamer

Satsuma wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Blumhouse also did Get Out, BlacKKKlansman, Upgrade etc.

Don't get me wrong, they do a lot of shite, but plenty of great stuff too. I think The Hunt was aiming to be in that category. It fell somewhat short, but it wasn't entirely unenjoyable.

You’ve only got to scroll through their filmography to see that “plenty of great stuff” is patently an over exaggeration.

https://m.imdb.com/list/ls022702119/

I’m happy with “a few decent films.”

Sure.

Pretty sure how they are run is "If anyone seems half competent and have the seed of an idea, we'll give them five million dollars to make a film, and if it turns out good, we'll spend a few million more marketing it, but if it turns out terrible we won't bother".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 21:36 
Bad Girl

Are Blumhouse Productions making all the sodding films these days? I turn on The Invisible Man and they’ve got their dirty intro all over it.

So let me eat some humble pie when I say The Invisible Man is a pretty great horror film.

1 min - 80 mins is just brilliant. I don’t want to even hint what happens because going in blind is always best but these 80 mins were pretty perfect. It’s fairly low rent of course for a Blumhouse film but it’s clearly got a decent budget and has some really interesting camera work. There’s a steady escalation of tension and terror that just worked for me. It uses static cameras for some frames that just uses the audience imagination to convey what’s happening. It’s no Ari Aster production but it’s trying hard with what it’s got. And the main antagonist is really good too. They put on a really great performance. And the makeup as the minutes pass is great to convey what they’re going through.

80 mins to finish is less good as the film goes through it’s typical action set pieces but the effects are good and the twists and turns to the epilogue is really enjoyable (but a little clichè. I mean, it’s perfectly fine, good even, but it loses the terror of the first two acts.) The ending is a bit obvious but it was probably the right conclusion to this film. Didn’t like the last shot of the film though.

Conclusion: The Invisible Man is really good. Worth your time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 22:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

So, in conclusion... Worth seeing?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 22:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Thank you very much, I'm here all spring, summer and maybe autumn too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 22:51 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Thank you very much, I'm here all spring, summer and maybe autumn too.

That sounds rather optimistic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 22:57 
SavyGamer

Satsuma wrote:
Are Blumhouse Productions making all the sodding films these days? I turn on The Invisible Man and they’ve got their dirty intro all over it.

So let me eat some humble pie when I say The Invisible Man is a pretty great horror film.

Almost as if what I said about them was bang on the money!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:32 
Bad Girl

LewieP wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Almost as if what I said about them was bang on the money!

Let’s not go sucking our own dicks yet. I count they’ve got about 9 watchable films out of 74-odd on their roster.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:39 
SavyGamer

Yeah it's definitely the "throw a load of darts at the wall" technique. But they keep the costs down so they can throw lots of darts, and when one hits big that's them covered for a dozen more films.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 16:39 
Bad Girl

I fully expected to hate Sonic The Hedgehog, but it’s surprisingly alright. Sonic was vaguely annoying but at least he wasn’t voiced by Ryan Reynolds. Some of the effects were alright too; I especially liked Robotnics spaceship thang. Jim Carey was good. 90 mins long was the exact amount of time I was willing to watch it too. James whatshisname played his part well. I was kinda glad to see him in a lead role after Westworld. Liked him a lot in that.

I laughed once too.

And I enjoyed the piano version of the Sonic theme, however brief it was on, because the rest of the music wasn’t very good. What was that rap over the credits?! They needed more remixes of the classic sonic tunes.

And how fine is Tika Sumpter? Man, she’s beautiful. Proper crushing on her.

Bad things: loads of those, but it’s a kids film based on a shit video game, so I can’t complain that much. When Sonic turned into Super Sonic he didn’t actually turn into Super Sonic. Alert the fanboys. The story was shit. The bar fight bit? The whole bar thing actually. Sonic was annoying. Ahh, I don’t actually care, it was brilliantly ok-ish. I don’t want a sequel though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 17:01 
Gogmagog

Iron Man - a bit more gung ho than I recalled, and a bit more sexist. Great visual comedy, Downey Jr is great, as is Lebowski.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 17:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Now go straight to the next in the series, Iron Man 3.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 17:31 
SavyGamer

I think Iron Man 2 has actually aged quite well. All the stuff they did to build out the universe felt a little forced first time around, but it kinda makes sense now we know where it ended up.

Sam Rockwell is fantastic in it too.

Main villain kinda sucks though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 17:43 

LewieP wrote:

He is fantastic in everything, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 20:27 
Sleepyhead

Sonic wasn’t too bad, I agree. Jim Carey looked like he was having fun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 21:13 
Isn't that lovely?

Is Jim Carey Mask/Ace/Riddler/Grinch Jim Carey or Eternal Sunshine/Truman Show/Man on the Moon/Mr Popper Jim Carey?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:12 
Excellent Member

Malc wrote:
Is Jim Carey Mask/Ace/Riddler/Grinch Jim Carey or Eternal Sunshine/Truman Show/Man on the Moon/Mr Popper Jim Carey?

He's playing the baddy in an adaption of Sonic the Hedgehog. Why would you need to ask this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:38 

:DD

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 15:41 
Bad Girl

Suspiria is a fever dream of ballerinas dancing maddeningly in a death metal album cover. Tilda Swinton is so goddamn freaky I swear she’s probably in a cult in real life.

I rate it WTF/10

Long version: it’s a story about a woman who goes to Berlin in the 1970‘s to join a ballerina “club”(? Troupe? House? Whatever the right word is) run by a group of elderly “Mothers” who may or may not be up to something. A week earlier one of the ballerinas, Patricia, left in suspicious circumstances. As Patricia’s friend is lead to investigate the circumstances of her departure, the new arrival finds herself the focus of the main Mother’s affections and is catapulted to the main role of the latest show. Stuff happens.

The film looks great and captures the 1970’s look. It has a sort of washed out colour palette that was pretty ace. It also has some freaky camera movements that add to the insanity that’s going on beneath the surface. It’s a horror film first and foremost so it might not appeal to everyone but if you’re after something that’s a bit unusual and freaky but artistically excellent then this has got you covered.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 17:07 
Sleepyhead

Bamba wrote:
Malc wrote:

He's playing the baddy in an adaption of Sonic the Hedgehog. Why would you need to ask this?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 23:20 
Gogmagog

LewieP wrote:
I think Iron Man 2 has actually aged quite well. All the stuff they did to build out the universe felt a little forced first time around, but it kinda makes sense now we know where it ended up.

Main villain kinda sucks though.

I think Iron Man 2 is better than one. As you say, it brings loads of stuff in. Rockwell is great. I think Rourke is also good in it.

Tony Stark is my spirit animal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
I think Iron Man 2 is better than one.

And now Sat can retire.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:21 
SavyGamer

Timeline-wise, depending on blip shenanigans, Justin Hammer should actually be out of prison by now, or at least soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:53 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I think Iron Man 2 is better than one.

And now Sat can retire.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 20:21 
Skillmeister

Satsuma wrote:
Suspiria is a fever dream of ballerinas dancing maddeningly in a death metal album cover. Tilda Swinton is so goddamn freaky I swear she’s probably in a cult in real life.

I rate it WTF/10

Long version: it’s a story about a woman who goes to Berlin in the 1970‘s to join a ballerina “club”(? Troupe? House? Whatever the right word is) run by a group of elderly “Mothers” who may or may not be up to something. A week earlier one of the ballerinas, Patricia, left in suspicious circumstances. As Patricia’s friend is lead to investigate the circumstances of her departure, the new arrival finds herself the focus of the main Mother’s affections and is catapulted to the main role of the latest show. Stuff happens.

The film looks great and captures the 1970’s look. It has a sort of washed out colour palette that was pretty ace. It also has some freaky camera movements that add to the insanity that’s going on beneath the surface. It’s a horror film first and foremost so it might not appeal to everyone but if you’re after something that’s a bit unusual and freaky but artistically excellent then this has got you covered.

It's also bloody awful compared to the sublime original.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 22:07 
Bad Girl

Birds of Prey: The blah blah blah Harley Quinn is a film.

It’s also so shit I couldn’t last more than 19 minutes. Harley Quinn is fucking annoying and hasn’t got the personality to carry an entire film. Avoid like your socially distancing yourself from dog shit films.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:07 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I watched Now you see us last night. Its about magicians. I don't like magicians. I didn't enjoy this film.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:37 
Prince of Fops

TheVision wrote:
I watched Now you see us last night. Its about magicians. I don't like magicians. I didn't enjoy this film.

I can see how disliking magicians would be a disadvantage, but I loved this film. Good fun.

Also, who doesn't like magicians?!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:07 
Gogmagog

Findus Fop wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I can see how disliking magicians would be a disadvantage, but I loved this film. Good fun.

Also, who doesn't like magicians?!

The other Hugh Jackman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:

I saw that at the cinema (assuming you meant 'Now you see me'). I wasn't much for it either and the sequel looks to be worse so I skipped that.

On the subject of crap films, Showgirls was added to Amazon Prime the other day. I'd not actually seen it before, but the overacting in the first fifteen minutes is painful to watch. I've never enjoyed films where basically all the characters are unlikable. Even all the nudity gets boring after a while.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:12 
Bad Girl

TheVision wrote:

We’ve found his weak spot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:22 
UltraMod

One made his beard disappear

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:35 

TheVision wrote:

I'm now picturing an origin story about a birthday party, a favourite pet, and a trick going horribly wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Kern wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I'm now picturing an origin story about a birthday party, a favourite pet, and a trick going horribly wrong.

...but the magician was TheVision all along!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 13:33 

We watched The Gentlemen the other day.

I really liked Lock, Stock and Snatch, but haven’t been they keen on any of Guy Ritchie’s other stuff (Sherlock Holmes excluded, I suppose)

Liked the movie, too. Hugh Grant was amazing in it, and I’m a sucker for pretty much anything that Colin Farrell does, even more so if his character is Irish.

Not seen Michelle Dockery in anything else (is she Downton Abbey?) but liked her performance here too - although I’m assuming her Cockney accent in this is over exaggerated which was a bit annoying.

Charlie Hunnam good too, not really liked much else he’s been in (he’s always struck me as a bit “Joel Kinneman”, wooden and boring) but he does nicely in this, as arguably the lead role.

Good humour, good storyline with some nice twists and turns (albeit a little predictable) and it’s a gorgeous movie too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 14:54 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

I'm considering Vivarium as a feature length episode of Inside Number 9...and not one of the better ones either (it's not bad, it's just not that good).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 16:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:
(is she Downton Abbey?)

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:58 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I watched Skyfall and Spectre over the weekend.

I still think Skyfall is one of the best Bond films.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 23:07 
Gogmagog

Thor - Everyone puts in a decent to good shift. Hemsworth does gormless brilliantly and hiddleston is great.

(Yes, we have skipped Hulk, mainly because it was £3.49 on Amazon, and. It on Disney Plus)

(Oh, yeah, does anyone else have really quiet audio on Disney Plus films? The TV stuff is fine, but the films we have to increase the volume by a factor of four or so)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 0:38 
Comfortably Dumb

Brief summary of films watched over the weekend:

Firewall (added to Netflix recently) - seen it a few times and although it's not the best (feels like 'what Richard Kimble did after Fugitive after going into IT') , I rather like it, but mainly for Harrison Ford. I'd forgotten that Paul Bettany played the main bad guy though.

Hustlers - not bad, but it takes 30 minutes before any real story kicks in

Angel has fallen (added to Amazon this week) - Insulting crap. From the stupid opening scene to pretty much everything after when Nick Nolte turns up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:16 
SavyGamer

MaliA wrote:
Thor - Everyone puts in a decent to good shift. Hemsworth does gormless brilliantly and hiddleston is great.

(Yes, we have skipped Hulk, mainly because it was £3.49 on Amazon, and. It on Disney Plus)

(Oh, yeah, does anyone else have really quiet audio on Disney Plus films? The TV stuff is fine, but the films we have to increase the volume by a factor of four or so)

I like Thor but it does give me a sore neck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:52 
Can you dig it?

The Foreigner seemed like low-budget entertainment, and that's what it was. Jackie Chan can still go some for an older fella and Pierce Brosnan did a pretty good job portraying a brute of a man with a charming veneer.

There's a couple of pretty irish lasses in it, and I for some reason found it fun to see a bunch of old british cars (like an original Mondeo) in a film.

Although I did eye roll when it turned out Jackie Chan's character was an
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
ex-special forces tough guy
because of course they just always are, aren't they. But then I suppose a film with a
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
boring 'normal' person
in this situation would have been dull.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 23:10 
Gogmagog

Avengers - still absolutely brilliant. A masterpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 23:19 
Bad Girl

It’s a great superhero movie but it’s nowhere near a cinematic “masterpiece”. It’s a story about people dressing up in tights for fucks sake.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 23:44 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
It’s a great superhero movie but it’s nowhere near a cinematic “masterpiece”. It’s a story about people dressing up in tights for fucks sake.

Very much this. But also when films like this are lauded, it's not int terms cinema paradise, or what not, it's just in terms of being a ridiculously well put together movie. Which possibly sounds patronising but isn't meant to be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 23:45 
Prince of Fops

That should have been cinema paradiso, natch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 0:44 
SavyGamer

There's some great moments in the original Avengers, but my main take away was "wow they did not fuck this up", because I wasn't quite sure how they were going to bring together characters from four different film series into one without it feeling overcrowded, and they absolutely nailed the ensemble dynamic.

Kinda funny because it's a fairly quaint film looking back at it post-End Game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:16 

Richard Jewell was last night’s cinematic entertainment.

Wow. Paul Walter Hauser plays the eponymous role, and how the fuck he wasn’t nominated for it I do not know. He plays the role to absolute perfection, and he looks *so* much like the actual person the film is about that I didn’t realise the news interviews shown in the film were NOT the actor.

It’s a tremendously sad story, ultimately true (with a bit of artistic licence around the FBI characters, presumably to prevent potential libel suits or something)

Sam Rockwell... well, said earlier in the thread that he’s great in everything and he doesn’t disappoint here either. He reminds me of Gary Oldman in so many ways.

Kathy Bates plays Richard’s mother, whose life is turned upside down and inside out for nearly 3 months. She was nominated for an Oscar for her role here, but didn’t win. She would have deserved the win, and I’m not just saying that because she looks an awful lot like my mother in years gone by.

The rest of the cast are pretty good. Jon Hamm has a good turn as the (fictional) FBI guy that starts out just doing his job and then has to keep a story going to save face.

Olivia Wilde also does great, her character (the journalist that starts the media shitstorm) is an absolute shitbag, and she sells it well. The movie has a half-hearted stab at a redemption arc of sorts for her towards the end.

Visually it doesn’t set the world on fire or anything, it’s very simple and restrained, but no shot is wasted - very tight direction from good ol’ Clint “get off my lawn” Eastwood.

Definitely worth a watch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Satsuma wrote:

1 min - 80 mins is just brilliant. I don’t want to even hint what happens because going in blind is always best but these 80 mins were pretty perfect. It’s fairly low rent of course for a Blumhouse film but it’s clearly got a decent budget and has some really interesting camera work. There’s a steady escalation of tension and terror that just worked for me. It uses static cameras for some frames that just uses the audience imagination to convey what’s happening. It’s no Ari Aster production but it’s trying hard with what it’s got. And the main antagonist is really good too. They put on a really great performance. And the makeup as the minutes pass is great to convey what they’re going through.

80 mins to finish is less good as the film goes through it’s typical action set pieces but the effects are good and the twists and turns to the epilogue is really enjoyable (but a little clichè. I mean, it’s perfectly fine, good even, but it loses the terror of the first two acts.) The ending is a bit obvious but it was probably the right conclusion to this film. Didn’t like the last shot of the film though.

Conclusion: The Invisible Man is really good. Worth your time.

I watched this last night and thought it was bloomin' fantastic, as you'd expect from the chap who made the incredible UPGRADE.

I was also content with the final act as I felt it'd been very well earned and what happened was what I wanted to see happen.

The main lass in it carries the film magnificently, really impressive.

Whole thing is tight as a drum, damn near a perfect film.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:19 
Bad Girl

So... Worth seeing?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 13:34 

Watched Reservoir Dogs this morning, as it's been a few years since I saw it last.

Always forget just how gripping it is.

I'd also never noticed before that the warehouse that the film takes place in (for the most part) is something to do with a funeral director or something along those lines, with loads of coffins in the background wrapped in plastic and paper, and a hearse covered up too. Wouldn't be surprised to learn that there's enough coffins visible throughout the film to cover the body count.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 388, 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394 ... 422  Next