Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 18:45 
Bad Girl

If anyone was wondering where Chris Rock went...here he is! In ... SPIRAL: From the Book of Saw.

What a title!

And it’s got Sam Jackson in too because ... he’s in everything. Is he in massive debt or something? Or a billion children? Or a really expensive habit of some sort? Dude gotta work.

Anyway, it looks utterly shit. It retains the same cinematography of Saw 2 and onwards, that weirdly high contrast washed out look.

https://twitter.com/saw/status/1225056579130576897

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 21:36 
Esoteric

Bring back Pookie!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 22:18 
Gogmagog

Bait - Cornish fisherman's existence in a dwindling industry and community. All shot on 16mm film, which adds to the alienation of it all.. Absolutely brilliant. Beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 22:26 
Hibernating Druid

Cowboys and Aliens: Awesome PEW PEW

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 18:25 
Bad Girl

Films wot I seen:

Ip Man 4: The Finale:- the ongoing story of that dude who famously taught Bruce Lee. Ip Man 1 is amazing, 2 is reet good, 3 is alright...4? I’d had enough. The fights just aren’t as exciting or interesting as the earlier entries. They retread earlier entries for the most part. A Bruce Lee impersonator makes an appearance and does some nunchucking but it can’t save this tired nonsense. Hilariously, as a white man you finally get to see what your average Russian must feel like when they load up another console military shooter. The white folk (or whities as they’re known in this) are hilarious caricatures. There’s not a single white person who isn’t a massive racist that hates the Chinese. I’m sure it played well with the home audience, mind.

Then I watched Tombstone again. Well, it was on the telly and I caught the intro and then couldn’t turn it off. Kurt Russell is fantastic. Val Kilmer is captivating. Alien dude is in it. Man, the whole film is just stellar. Apart from the last 5 minutes which are a bit crap. Oh and the subplot with the love interest which goes fucking nowhere all film. Not perfect but a classic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 18:29 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Bait - Cornish fisherman's existence in a dwindling industry and community. All shot on 16mm film, which adds to the alienation of it all.. Absolutely brilliant. Beautiful.

No one?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 18:32 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Giphy "that's bait":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/xT9IgHCTfp8CRshfQk/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 18:45 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No one?

I saw the trailer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 
Isn't that lovely?

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No one?

I saw the trailer

Looked a bit fishy to me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No one?

I saw the trawler

Feex.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 0:12 
Bad Girl

I watched Knives Out.

Really decent murder mystery film with a great cast. Not a lot to say other than it’s a good time, although I suspect your enjoyment will depend on whether you’re into Daniel Craig’s character. I thought he was hilarious so I enjoyed it.

It’s in an another league to the dumpster fire that was Murder on the Orient Express.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:12 
Can you dig it?

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No one?

Will I catch it in my Netflix?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:33 
Gogmagog

Sir Taxalot wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

No one?

Will I catch it in my Netflix?

Amazon prime.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:57 
Gogmagog

Satsuma wrote:
Zombieland 2: it’s an alright sequel, I guess. The only person not 100% committed to the picture unusually seemed to be Emma Stone of all people. The final fight bit was just rubbish. The post credits scene made up for it. Slightly.

Really enjoyed Zoey Deutch.

And, godDAYYUM Rosario is fucking sexy as hell.

EDIT: but goddam there’s some ropey CG in there for a multimillion pound film.

Zombieland two was brilliant, fool
It was well funny. Emma Stone being snarky was ace.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 16:31 
Esoteric

Montana.

Glad I ignored the reviews stating it was too violent etc.

It's like John Wick meets Karate Kid, or Leon.

But again like Donal from BDFTC the main character is very likeable. No big twists and no major surprises but still very enjoyable nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 23:38 
Excellent Member

Just been to see Parasite. Bloody brilliant. Who woulda thunk it? The Oscars got it right. Thought-provoking but first and foremost a comedy-thriller with a bit of the Chris Morris about it. Top notch performances, funny script, taut direction, beautifully shot and you never quite know where it's headed. Would also work as a stage play, oddly enough. I can highly recommend it.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:48 
Excellent Painter

NervousPete wrote:
Just been to see Parasite. Bloody brilliant. Who woulda thunk it? The Oscars got it right. Thought-provoking but first and foremost a comedy-thriller with a bit of the Chris Morris about it. Top notch performances, funny script, taut direction, beautifully shot and you never quite know where it's headed. Would also work as a stage play, oddly enough. I can highly recommend it.

According to the writer and director it was conceived as a stage play first and he still has ambitions to put it on stage.
Where did you see it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 13:31 

NervousPete wrote:
you never quite know where it's headed
Thought experiment: watch a film. Stop it at 20%, 40%, 60%, etc. Each time, write down how you think it’s gonna end.

Some films, you get very similar answers, either because it’s predictable or because it’s very good at foreboding and foreshadowing. (You can predict the ending of There Will Be Blood at 0% just from the title...)

But Parasite? You’d have very different answers at each stage.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:25 
Excellent Member

Don't watch "The Personal History of David Copperfield"; it goes on way, waaaay too long and all the funniest bits are in the trailer. Everything about it's competently done--and Hugh Laurie's character continues to be a highlight throughout--but it's just all a bit too 'gentle whimsy' to be able to carry itself off. Individual scenes are often very good but it's much less than the sum of its parts across it's entirely length sadly. Note that I experienced it having never read the book nor seen any other film/TV version (if there are any) so that may colour you viewpoint one way or the other.

ETA: one thing I did think was very cool is the way it just flat out didn't give a fuck about ethnicity of characters. Two white people might have an asian kid, or a Chinese man might have a black daughter; it just doesn't let anything get in the way of whatever the casting director apparently though was a good choice for each part. That mix in itself possibly only works in something that's intended to be so odd anyway but it does add an amusing and constant background level of WTF to the proceedings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:28 
Soopah red DS

Bamba wrote:
Don't watch "The Personal History of David Copperfield"; it goes on way, waaaay too long and all the funniest bits are in the trailer. Everything about it's competently done--and Hugh Laurie's character continues to be a highlight throughout--but it's just all a bit too 'gentle whimsy' to be able to carry itself off. Individual scenes are often very good but it's much less than the sum of its parts across it's entirely length sadly. Note that I experienced it having never read the book nor seen any other film/TV version (if there are any) so that may colour you viewpoint one way or the other.

I sort of get that - I can see how it can look a bit disjointed, as they try to somehow shoehorn thousands of words and much excellence into a series of scenes. But I loved it. The plot, when it comes, all happens a bit quickly, but I just enjoyed the ride, and the casting is so, so good. Even the meta-commentary towards the end felt fresh and amusing, when it could (and surely was, to some) have felt tedious and knowing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:52 
Gogmagog

Dickens was hack who was paid by the word

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:52 
Excellent Member

DBSnappa wrote:
According to the writer and director it was conceived as a stage play first and he still has ambitions to put it on stage. Where did you see it?

Coo, that makes sense then. Would work in a Wes Anderson-y kind of way too.

I saw it at Cineworld in Cardiff. Looks like they're showing it into next week. The screening was pretty full, which was nice, and everybody seemed to enjoy it.

I cannot tell you how nice it is to watch a film at the cinema that isn't based on an existing franchise, a 'reboot' or is an adaptation of a comic-book or 'the book everybody is talking about!' or something.

There's some pretty good off-the-cuff gags about North Korea too, the kind you'd make for reals in the everyday if you had the weird experience of living in a city where there was an entire bizarre society led by some nutter just on the other side of a mountain with a whole load of rockets pointing at you.

All the dialogue about the 'incident' in the car kept making me chuckle too.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:55 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
Dickens was hack who was paid by the word

And known as "Chickens" to his friends.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:58 
Excellent Member

From time to time Dickens would also lean over his manuscript, bite the tip of his quill, smile to himself and mutter, "... the plot Dickens."

Dickens was not universally liked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 14:59 
INFINITE POWAH

I'm pretty sure his first wife didn't call him Chickens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:04 
Excellent Member

NervousPete wrote:
I cannot tell you how nice it is to watch a film at the cinema that isn't based on an existing franchise, a 'reboot' or is an adaptation of a comic-book or 'the book everybody is talking about!' or something.

I mean, you could just stop going to those kind of films? It's not like there aren't enough stuff out there to watch so this feels like you inventing something to complain about. There's also a mild whiff of 'sneering hipster' about it.

ETA: in my local cinema this week alone is a whole list of stuff that doesn't match your criteria there. And that's just this single week of the year. And that's not even the indie cinema which would have much more obscure stuff no doubt.

• Bombshell
  • Dark Waters
  • Emma
  • JoJo Rabbit
  • The Gentlemen
  • The Lighthouse
  • The Personal History of David Copperfield
  • Underwater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:09 
INFINITE POWAH

Bamba wrote:
There's also a mild whiff of 'sneering hipster' about it.

Welcome to beex, we've not been able to get that smell out :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:14 
Excellent Member

I'm sorry Bamba, but there's nothing about the sneering hipster. There's everything about the grumbling hipster *cough* but anyway...

I do tend to bail on franchise stuff now. I can't even bring myself to watch the new Trek stuff after a few goes with Discovery I really enjoyed the Marvel movies but it's just... it's all stuff I've seen and read already, or stuff made into 'edgy' grim-dark juvenalia. Maybe I'm still smarting from just how unfathomably terrible the last Star Wars film was, and my disappointment in where Trek is going. The infuriating thing is I love good sci-fi movies and action on the big screen. I want new stories and characters and invention in new worlds. Fifth Element was brilliant. Starship Troopers was a hilariously disrespectful inversion of its source material. What it now feels like is endless reheats of the same old weary tropes.

That being said I'm oddly taken by the Mulan trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:15 
Excellent Member

Bamba wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

I mean, you could just stop going to those kind of films? It's not like there aren't enough stuff out there to watch so this feels like you inventing something to complain about. There's also a mild whiff of 'sneering hipster' about it.

ETA: in my local cinema this week alone is a whole list of stuff that doesn't match your criteria there. And that's just this single week of the year. And that's not even the indie cinema which would have much more obscure stuff no doubt.

• Bombshell
  • Dark Waters
  • Emma
  • JoJo Rabbit
  • The Gentlemen
  • The Lighthouse
  • The Personal History of David Copperfield
  • Underwater

Ouch. Okay. Pretty effectively owned there.

You also forgot Weathering You. Damnitt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:22 
Excellent Member

Agh. And then there was the rather delightful Knives Out. Double-damnitt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:33 
Excellent Member

NervousPete wrote:

I mean, yeah. I don't go to the cinema a lot these days--much less than I'd like to for sure--but looking back through my 'want to watch' list for the last six months there aren't many things that would fit in your initial criteria and a decent chunk of stuff that's like the list I posted there. I kind of understand feeling like there's nothing but dross going on because of what tends to get the biggest advertising budget, but I don't think you need to dig very far to see that's not actually the truth of what's being released. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:36 
Excellent Member

It is the nature of the internet I guess that I feel I have lost out somehow in losing an argument in which you successfully argue the world is a bit better and more rewarding for me than I glibly asserted.

M' :wrong:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:45 
Gogmagog

You really should all see Bait.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

NervousPete wrote:

That's a book.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 16:08 
Excellent Member

"The window, my only hope! Aieeeeeee!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 16:43 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

That's a book.

Is it? The Wiki page doesn't say anything about it and alleges that it was written entirely to be a film by the director.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 17:37 
sneering elitist

Bamba wrote:

On the other hand, I made the website for the production designer, so you should definitely watch it anyway. (The website isn't live yet.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 18:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
NervousPete wrote:

That's a book.

Is it? The Wiki page doesn't say anything about it and alleges that it was written entirely to be a film by the director.

Huh. The TV has LIED TO ME

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 18:16 
Bad Girl

You’re probably thinking of Snowpiercer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 18:26 
Gogmagog

Just fucking watch Bait and come back and say "Good call, MaliA, never thought a hand developed 16mm film from a hand cranked camera could be so good"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 18:41 
ugvm'er at heart...

We all watched it at the cowboy town cinema.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 19:01 
Gogmagog

I hold you all in sheer contempt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 20:20 
Bad Girl

Films wot I watched:

21 Bridges: Facking trash heap shit. Nice shoot out at the beginning though. Daft as fuck ending.

The Lighthouse: WOW. You’d swear each frame was an old timey photograph that had been somehow brought to life. Some brilliant performances from the cast of 2. William Defo was mesmerising as the mad lighthouse keeper. But who is madder?

The last couple of shots are just beautiful - especially with that vocal trick from Too Many Cooks. Oh and the one where they’re laughing under a table as the window explodes. The whole “being pissed” scenes were just terrific. It’s genuinely laugh out funny at times too.

Downsides? The accents are so thick that you could miss some lines. I did. I wish I’d managed to watch it with subs to be honest.

Oh the sound is fantastic too. I swear the horns were designed to be similar to that noise the aliens make in Cruise version of War of the Worlds.

Watch it you nutters, it’s a treat.

9/10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Hey right so I watched PARASITE and thought it was good but not amazing, the 'theme' and 'message' are a bit in your face and it feels like a spin on SNOWPIERCER. (One of the director's previous films.) It's a solid 7.5/10 maybe, but not worth all the drooling and slobbering and Oscars it's having done over it. Maybe it has more resonance with Americans or something or makes more sense in Korea. In fact I'd actually say SNOWPIERCER is the better film. Definitely worth a watch but it didn't blow me away, beautifully shot and acted, great score, all the pieces are there but the overall effect on me was a bit muted.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Oh yes and I sort of half saw the 'twist' coming at the halfway stage, despite having no idea what it was, and I'm usually really crap at seeing stuff like that coming.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:07 
Gogmagog

Watch Bait, you cloth eared buffoons.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 
Rude Belittler

MaliA wrote:

I'd rather hit myself in the bollocks with a barbed-wire wrapped baseball bat.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

Pundabaya wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I'd rather hit myself in the bollocks with a barbed-wire wrapped baseball bat.

"Lets' do it, let's do it, toooonniiiiiiiiight!"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:07 
Skillmeister

The Color Out of Space! It's alright. Takes aboot anhour before Nic*las Cag* fucks it up with his shit actering of shitness. Rips off a load of other horror flimums, The Thing being the main one. Nice to see that late-80s The Blob and From Beyond pink/magenta coming back though. It's the fourth best adapted Lovecraft film.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 17:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Sonic the Hedgehog was brilliant! I really enjoyed it. Good work video games!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 18:20 
Gogmagog

TheVision wrote:
Sonic the Hedgehog was brilliant! I really enjoyed it. Good work video games!

Is it as good as bait?

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390 ... 422  Next