Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 0:23 
Can you dig it?

Satsuma wrote:
I’m playing the sequel to the Unfinished Swan...Untitled Goose.

It’s on Game Pass and you’ll be thanking your lucky stars that you didn’t get swept up in the internet buzz and paid actual money because, well, it’s pretty bloody dull. It’s cute, I’ll give it that, and there’s some funny moments but, man alive, it ain’t much of a game.

I was dead excited to see this out on PS4 so I bought it and downloaded it and then jumped straight on to play (much to Lady T's visible, but unspoken, annoyance). I ended up farting around for about an hour and a half.

I'm kind of in the middle here, I agree with some of Sat's sentiments but maybe not to the same extent. I did get a big caught up in the buzz and after a bit of playing it's obvious that the highlights reel style of video clips used do - shock, horror, but we fall for it, we always fall for it - make it look far more exciting/dramatic/funny than it really is. There's a lot of wandering about just pissing about.... almost unfocussed.... and yet after a while it sunk in a bit more and became fun just to keep ringing the bell and upsetting the man even after that objective had been fulfilled.

I think Sat's right, it's maybe not much of a game and don't expect a laugh a minute, but when I think of it more as a toy, or a 'griefing simulator' to fiddle about with, it's still quite neat and after typing all this drivel I'm quite keen to go and play it for a bit tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 15:18 
Hello Hello Hello

A PLAGUE TALE - INNOCENCE.

Made a start on this last night and immediately played it for three solid hours.

It's billed as an 'action-adventure horror stealth game', the best way I can describe it based on the first three hours is that it feels a lot like Max Payne 1/2 except with children, in medieval times, no guns, lots of stealth, no noir trappings, you have a companion, there are massive swarms of rats, and no bullet time.

I realise that makes it sound exactly nothing like Max Payne but I mean in the way it's really quite linear and scripted and you can't go too far off the beaten path, so that the level designers sort of know exactly what's going to happen, and when, so can design the game to be as compelling and exciting as they want based on that knowledge, none of your open world emergent gameplay here.

Anyway it pretty much grabbed me right from the off, everything about it just 'feels' right, to the extent I only stopped playing it once it was bedtime.

I picked it up for under £20 on GOG so it should be out there for a reasonable price, available on XBox/PS4/PC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 23:54 
Hello Hello Hello

More of A PLAGUE TALE - INNOCENCE for the last couple of evenings, this game is really, really good.

Do yourselves a favour and give it a go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 14:38 
Esoteric

Got home last night after a few days away to the emotional torture that is Mothership Zeta.

I've only done it three times out of all of my playthroughs and I hate it. I hated it enough,then after a hour or so of running around I got stuck in the scenery. Clenched teeth I pushed on remembering to save often.

Got outside and activated the teleporter and when I got back inside it wouldn't work. So I did that section again rewinding another hour of play but every time I got there the teleporter would not work which means you're fucked. Sally needs to teleport in and let you out.

In the end I rebooted the Xbox and it now worked, but crashed when you tried using it. So again I went back and did it all again and finally at 4am I finally got it done, vowing never to do it ever again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 14:54 
Gogmagog

Elite Dangerous where I take clothing to a space station and bring biowaste back. It's a living.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 15:29 
Comfortably Dumb

Recently picked up a copy of Matt Hoffman Pro BMX 2 for the Gamecube and I've been rattling through the challenges. I completed pretty much everything on it when I first owned it years back, but it's still such a good game to revisit - easily one of my top ten Cube games.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 15:32 
Esoteric

devilman wrote:
Recently picked up a copy of Matt Hoffman Pro BMX 2 for the Gamecube and I've been rattling through the challenges. I completed pretty much everything on it when I first owned it years back, but it's still such a good game to revisit - easily one of my top ten Cube games.

Loved those games. There's a new sandbox BMX game. Might grab that soon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 18:19 

Just tried Tetris Effect in VR... that's a bit trippy...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 18:19 
Esoteric

Started Gears 5 yesterday.

Wow. Just. Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 18:48 
Bad Girl

Yeah, it’s shit isn’t it. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 19:01 
Hibernating Druid

I haz PS+!

Jumped back into Alienation with young Master Z!
Enjoying Titanfall 2 too!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 22:03 
Excellent Member

The Last Day of June: cheery indie puzzler in which your wife dies and you get crippled in the first ten minutes of the game. You're later gifted the ability to play through that day as the various other townspeople to try and change the circumstances of the crash (because it turns out they all contributed). It's an interesting conceit and I'm curious to see how they handle the various timelines as things get more complex and start to crossover more. The faces of the characters are also amusingly terrifying; even while I appreciate exactly why they've gone for that art style.

My Memory Of Us: puzzle platformer that has you controlling a girl and boy with different abilities as they make their way through an increasingly hostile world that's experiencing some kind of creeping fascist takeover (how utterly unrealistic!). It's...alright. Not sure I'll finish it before I get bored but it was £1.34 on the Switch so I've already more than got my money's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:29 
Hello Hello Hello

A PLAGUE TALE - INNOCENCE irritated me last night with its checkpointing. Yes I know proper saving is supposed to be REALLY HARD except in the games that appear to manage it with no problem whatsoever, and the lack of proper saving is a real pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, in fairness, the checkpointing has been mostly fine up to now and whilst it's bothered me on a few occasions, it's never really spoiled my enjoyment of the game. However, last night there was an unusually lengthy section where it just wouldn't checkpoint, and in this game if you make a mistake you die, it's as simple as that, you can't sort of 'blunder through' and force to a checkpoint, the game just kills you outright.

I was trying to get the mechanics of a section right without resorting to the cheap options (you can craft a couple of items that will sort of brute force past an opponent or two, but they feel bad to use as you know you're kind of cheesing it a bit, plus they use loads of resources which I'm trying to save for upgrades), and after about the fourth death when it put me back to the start of the section, I just quit out of the game in annoyance.

I'll try again tonight,

QUICKSAVE/QUICKLOAD please FFS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:35 
Hibernating Druid

An upgraded Plasma Shotgun is a thing if devastating beauty in Alienation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 15:23 
Esoteric

Started RDR2. Man, it's long winded and slow.

Good thing it's so beautiful and good fun when you finally get to do things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:51 
Excellent Member

Baba Is You: I'm only a handful of levels in and it's already apparent that I'm way, way too stupid for this game. Or, indeed, for anything else! Fucking hell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:25 
Gogmagog

Still driving around space, a wheelin' and a dealin'.

No pewpew, though, no pewpew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 20:26 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

This afternoon, I started Luigis Mansion 3.

Its great so far. Delightfully charming and funny too!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 16:52 

Over-the-holidays round-up edition:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (PC): hit level 55 (which is the soft cap; beyond that you earn levels that are specific to the game's season.) I really do enjoy the multiplayer in this, and in particular some of the changes that seem to enrage long-term fans of the series (eg. the footstep sounds) seem like positive changes to me. The footstep noise, the radar, the audio design (the surround sound is really well done), and the sniper scope glints: these all combined to create a situation where, when I die, I rarely feel like I was helpless. Instead I feel like I could have shot a little faster, moved a little smarter, noticed the enemy a fraction sooner. This in turn is much less frustrating that I have found most of the other CoDs I've played.

However, this faded away just after Christmas and instead I got re-addicted to XCOM: War of the Chosen (PC). A chance remark by a someone or other got Cras playing this again, and once he started telling me how his game was going I felt like I had to return to it also. Despite having owned it since launch and despite XCOM1 being one of my favourite games of the last decade, I've never completed either vanilla XCOM2 or WotC. So I started over and this time I'm determined to see it through (on Veteran difficulty at least - that's the default.) I'm about 20 missions in, my soldiers are levelling up quite well, my avatar project is rather advanced and needs batting back down a bit, it's going OK overall I think. I think the main reason I bounced off this game before still bothers me: the strategy layer of the game feels just a little bit too hectic. I get that XCOM is about tough choices with limited resources but I'm frequently having to pick between 3-5 things that all feel absolutely critical, and it gets just a little bit annoying-stressful instead of thrilling-stressful. But I'm dealing with it slowly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 22:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
A chance remark by a someone or other got Cras playing this again, and once he started telling me how his game was going I felt like I had to return to it also.

That was me. In the same thread that he went on to talk about his game in.

How very rude!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 23:16 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes. Someone-or-other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 23:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We poured one out for Sporty Spice together.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 23:42 
Prince of Fops

Grim... wrote:
We poured one out for Sporty Spice together.

The verb of choice for the voluminous spunker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 15:58 

All XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (PC), all the time. As I mentioned last week, for whatever silly reason, I'd never gotten past the midgame in XCOM2, and never even had a sincere attempt at starting the (massive) expansion DLC, War of the Chosen. Well, that's changed now, after a protracted campaign (I'm 40-something missions deep and it's October by the in-game clock.) I am well into the late-game glidepath to the finish, where my troops are all massively upgraded and stomping all over the aliens at every turn. As usual for XCOM I am having fun finding combos and synthesis between the various class abilities and unique weapons. The addition in WotC of (a) three new classes of unique faction soldiers and (b) each soldier getting a small number of randomly chosen abilities from other classes has vastly expanded the possibilities for shenanigans; I have reapers (shotgun-wielding close-combat types) who have sniper-style overwatch abilities, and snipers who can move and shoot in one round, and various other clever little combos I am enjoying bending the game with. All that remains is a handful of story missions and it'll be done (on the default "veteran" difficulty level, at least.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 16:24 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
All XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (PC), all the time. As I mentioned last week, for whatever silly reason, I'd never gotten past the midgame in XCOM2, and never even had a sincere attempt at starting the (massive) expansion DLC, War of the Chosen. Well, that's changed now, after a protracted campaign (I'm 40-something missions deep and it's October by the in-game clock.) I am well into the late-game glidepath to the finish, where my troops are all massively upgraded and stomping all over the aliens at every turn. As usual for XCOM I am having fun finding combos and synthesis between the various class abilities and unique weapons. The addition in WotC of (a) three new classes of unique faction soldiers and (b) each soldier getting a small number of randomly chosen abilities from other classes has vastly expanded the possibilities for shenanigans; I have reapers (shotgun-wielding close-combat types) who have sniper-style overwatch abilities, and snipers who can move and shoot in one round, and various other clever little combos I am enjoying bending the game with. All that remains is a handful of story missions and it'll be done (on the default "veteran" difficulty level, at least.)

Sounds great.. I have not played xcom2, but i really enjoyed xcom.

edit: looks like i have it on the ps4, just not played it yet :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 16:35 
Prince of Fops

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I am perhaps a little further on than you, but haven't touched it for ages. I played on the level below Veteran because i'm a wuss, and got to a point where the missions were cakewalks. UNTIL I GOT CARELESS AND MY FAVOURITE (ONLY) TEMPLAR DIED.

I haven't had the energy to return to it since. But I should. As I'd like to finish it. Have dispatched all the Chosen already, so I've made life easier for the end, hopefully.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 16:58 

KovacsC wrote:
edit: looks like i have it on the ps4, just not played it yet :)

It was on PS+ a while back. Note that (a) you won't have the (very good) expansion and (b) the load times are a bit painful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 17:07 
Been playing a lot of Space Engineers (PC) recently. It's one of those games where time just gets away from you and suddenly you've been playing for 8 hours and haven't eaten and done next to nothing in the game. Would recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 17:45 
Rude Belittler

Fired up the old Titanfall 2 for a run through the campaign, yesterday. Man, it is still so freaking good.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 18:21 
Esoteric

Just finishing up fallout 4.

Realised this time that once you get a Shag (Piper or Cait or Danse for the chaps) that sleeping with your partner gives you a perk for a short time where your XP rockets. So I've built beds everywhere lol.

Just the stupid vault dlc left now, then it's FONV.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Nearly finished A PLAGUE TALE - INNOCENCE last night, it's a truly superb game and I would respectfully recommend folks seek it out.

Its inclusion on a fair few 'Best of 2019' lists is well deserved.

It's not even a genre I'm usually a fan of, but it's so bloody well done here, and with characters you care so much about, that it gets a pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:27 
Hibernating Druid

Finished UNCHARTED: Drake's Fortune last night, enjoyable enough for an older game, few sections had me cursing through it's clunkiness.

I'll fire up UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves tonight which I hear is the highlight of the series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:12 
UltraMod

I’m playing the first Uncharted right now!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:23 
Hibernating Druid

Yeah, saw your name and a fair few other Beexers flash up when I hit or was close to headshots/kills count with different weapons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:36 
Excellent Member

Mr Chonks wrote:

I'm not sure that'll have aged well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 13:05 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

It’s pretty darn good. I’m over halfway in the campaign now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 13:08 
Hibernating Druid

It was enjoyable enough for me.

And it was FREE*†

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 13:15 
Excellent Member

Mr Chonks wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

It’s pretty darn good. I’m over halfway in the campaign now.

In my opinion they get better as the series progresses so if you're enjoying the first one you've potentially got a lot of good times ahead. The story and characters get better I feel (and by the third and fourth game they're jaw-droppingly good to look at) and the combat encounters less gruelling. I say that because the first two suffered by just sending wave after wave after fucking wave of guys into the combat arena you're often locked into which just got boring. The later games find a better balance I feel, although I still get a shudder of hatred whenever I see a shotgun-wielding body-armoured dickhole appear).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 14:37 
Paws for thought

Bamba wrote:
I say that because the first two suffered by just sending wave after wave after fucking wave of guys into the combat arena you're often locked into which just got boring.

This is what killed my interest halfway through 1 & 2.If the games after that are less so, I may be interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 15:02 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I say that because the first two suffered by just sending wave after wave after fucking wave of guys into the combat arena you're often locked into which just got boring.

This is what killed my interest halfway through 1 & 2.If the games after that are less so, I may be interested.

I mean it does still happen to an extent, but I believe it's universally acknowledged that it's massively toned down in subsequent games. I think I remember some slight lingering annoyance in the third game (though it's worth bearing in mind that I'm shit at these kind of encounters so probably have less tolerance than most) but certainly in Uncharted 4 and it's brilliant spin-off The Lost Legacy I don't remember being bothered at all and the combat encounters felt much more organic. I'd say definitely play the fourth one and Lost Legacy and maybe go back to the third one if you enjoy those.

ETA: this from the Eurogamer review of UC4 back my memories up a bit:

Quote:
The biggest changes come to the combat. Many enemy encounters now take place in large open areas filled with complex architecture that allows for stealth. Drake is able to thin out the ranks of goons by hiding in long grass, sneaking and using his climbing skills to outflank and surprise his enemies with silent takedowns - or even leave them unmolested. It's no Metal Gear Solid, but with its freedom of approach, stealth is a good deal more satisfying than the blunt shootouts. The guns are fun but the enemy designs are as dim-witted and uninteresting as ever, and once stealth is broken, encounters lean aggressively towards tactics-free attrition, piling on ever more heavily armed and armoured mercs. There's a lot of this as the game's climax approaches, though it's been pruned further than the interminable stretches of blasting that the earlier games suffered from.

It's also worth noting that I'm pretty sure it's possible to get back into stealth mode after it's broken which contradicts the above slightly and makes things even more flexible again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 15:25 
Hibernating Druid

I’ve also played Uncharted 4 and can confirm that the combat is very betterer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 15:31 
Excellent Painter

Personally, I've enjoyed them all. Yes the first one in particular forced you to dig in in several combat scenarios which made it a war of attrition. For me, the third one was the best. The fourth felt too much like a greatest hits album and the "heartfelt" story running throughout was just crass.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 15:34 
Excellent Member

The third one had a lot of stuff that felt very on rails. I realise that's part of the Uncharted experience but it was at it's peak there, I feel they took that criticism on board and got the balance right with the fourth one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 16:25 
Hibernating Druid

DBSnappa wrote:
the "heartfelt" story running throughout was just crass.

Did he get a writing credit?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 16:26 
Hibernating Druid

Good to know then that the ones I've yet to play through are getting the most praise.

Giphy "right place, right time":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/5UMFfdl1iQEqqYO25O/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 13:00 

Satisfactory (PC / Epic Launcher) - this wasn't supposed to happen; I wanted to move on to Disco Elysium next. But Update 3 dropped and I wanted to take a look, and 12-something hours later I look up from three sides of A4 paper covered in steel production ratios and realise this is what I play now.

I haven't played very much of it between the first Early Access release and this latest update, and I'm pretty impressed by the changes. There's a lot of features been added (freight trains, nuclear power, fast transport tubes, fluids and pipes) although I've barely seen any of that so far in my game - they are mid-game or late-game things. What has changed is the tech tree and the structure of the game. In the first releases, it was quite easy to progress rapidly through the tech tree by hand-crafting things with only quite modest automation. Now, the goals are much tougher - in terms of volume and sophistication of what you have to make to achieve them - and that means there's a much more natural feeling curve to the difficulty.

So, to my current game: I'm through the bootstrap spaghetti-factory stage and started to build some proper facilities for iron products, with a reproducible single-floor layout that I plan to repeat upwards to make multi-floor buildings making each intermediate product. I've set up a steel hub about 1km away and built a skybridge of platforms to connect them; next step is to wire up some belts to move steel products (pipes/beams/reinforced beams) over to the iron manufacturing hub so I can start combining them. Once I do that, the second stage of the space elevator project should be within reach.

BTW, Satisfactory is coming for Steam "soon", if that's a reason you've been avoiding it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 13:26 
Skillmeister

That looks like a thing that I would like.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 17:11 
Hibernating Druid

Sounds like a job!

OUT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 22:56 
Gogmagog

Still a space lorryist. I bought a bigger ship so now I can haul 224 tonnes of clothes about the galaxy. It is enormously relaxing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 13:43 

Satisfactory (PC): I love this game but the grind is real.

I played a lot of Satisfactory when it was first released, and returned to it after Update 3 dropped. A lot has changed in the interim; not just in terms of new tech trees but in terms of how much stuff you need to advance. The early release was extremely forgiving, to the point where you could hand-make most of the things you needed in a fairly short amount of time. I think the much longer ramp-up curve the game gives you today is much better.

And don’t get me wrong, I am really enjoying it! And I realise the game is early access and isn’t finished and probably all this will be fixed in time.

But... for me, right now, I think the QoL upgrades you get as you go along aren’t keeping up with the speed with which you have to ramp up manufacturing capacity. For example, I am spending quite an intense amount of time laying out walls on 3x4 slabs to fill with constructors and assemblers, arranging their belts, building walls and floors and doors and stairs. Lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat.

And even though I’ve spent hours doing that, I know I’m woefully behind on everything; my steel production is far too low, my iron smelting isn’t much better, I need to run some belts long-distance from oil to my main factory to get plastic and rubber there, my hypertubes are a mess and need re-planning. I have a mk2 miner on a pure iron node that isn’t doing anything because I can’t quite face building another 5 floors of smelters to process it.

Right now I’d give my back teeth for

(1) some basic blueprinting or bulk-building and bulk-demolish ability.

(2) the unreleased magic storage container that someone found in the code that magically transports stuff around so I don’t need to go to the other end of my factory to pick up some reinforced steel beams or whatever other thing I just ran out of.

(3) a statistics view showing me production and consumption rates of various things, so I can get a sense of how the factory as a whole is running more easily than by going to a bunch of places and looking at belts.

(Possibly important context on where I am: I’ve played maybe 25 hours (40+ hours logged as I’ve occasionally left it idling), I’ve done parts of Tier 6 and 7, I’m building oil refineries, I don’t have trains yet. I am nowhere near starting the components for the third phase of the space elevator. I don’t have the jet pack, I have maybe a dozen hard drives. Alternate recipes can really help avoid some of the need for bulk-building of factories, but only if you get lucky with the drops. Perhaps I have been unlucky.)

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next