Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Election 2019 and Live Bear Chat
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 17:46 

All that matters is that the prime minister has the confidence of the House of Commons. Of course, unless someone in a safe seat can be found to be booted upstairs so Mr Johnson can take his seat, his position becomes very unstable and the parliamentary party might want him out anyway.

Last PM who wasn't in the Commons at appointment was Hume.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 17:47 

(you did ask).

Obligatory:
Giphy "bears":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/x4bWE4pS66NEPZR9G1/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:40 

Finally had a Tory leaflet through my letterbox. Was so angry about the candidate's repeated use of the prime minister's first name and "we need to get Brexit done" I immediately tore it up and chucked it in the recycling.

I probably should email her about the "we want to stop those dastardly courts and MPs stopping us" bit in the manifesto and the border in the Irish Sea, but I can't find a pithy way to phrase the questions and remain civil.

Looking for the positives, at least we both agree on the hospital on the Banbury, and I'm open-minded on the expressway.

I might just watch the exit poll next week and if it's anything other than a hung parliament turn the TV off, disconnect my router, and get very drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:50 

Kern wrote:
the "we want to stop those dastardly courts and MPs stopping us" bit in the manifesto and the border in the Irish Sea.

Which, on reflection, are two very novel proposals for the Conservatives and Unionists to have.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:23 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

zaphod79 wrote:
https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1199644811155984384

Apparently that could have been the Russians.

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditsecurity ... on_reddit/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 15:58 
Unpossible!

Finally got my Tory Leaflet! Shame about the proof reading.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 16:42 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Maybe he means the sandals.

Even so, still wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 18:19 
Sitting balls-back folder

Grim... wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
https://twitter.com/matt_dathan/status/1199644811155984384

Apparently that could have been the Russians.

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditsecurity ... on_reddit/

Cold War MOAR COLDAR.

Too cynical?

Edit: probably I should have made a 1981 reference instead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 

A while back I realised that my local library subscribes to an online newspaper service, meaning I can procastinate at work read or skim papers from across the globe from my desk. Getting the Irish, Canadian, and US take on our predictment is refreshing, and I can never tire of the priorities of local papers.

Today's Torygraph headline complains that Corbyn could "win" without gaining a seat, and how just a few thousand people in a few constituencies could swing it. They don't, however, follow this argument through and start questioning whether the electoral system itself is broken. Good to learn that Brexit and Johnson are both wonderful things, however.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:51 

Did my postal vote. It can all GTFF. Can't be arsed even thinking about it. Going to be years more Torycuntery, country is fucking ruined. "but it's Corbyn's fault", we'll hear. Fuck. Off.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:59 

The other week I wrote to the Tory candidate asking how new checks and paperwork between Britain and Northern Ireland would make intra-Union trade easier.

We now go live to my special political inbox:
Giphy "tumbleweed":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/ilqOZJ87kZKPxecpTG/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:05 

About an hour before polls open, and I have none of my usual election day excitement. I would probably rather attend a have-a-go-trepanation party this evening than watch the results.

Might vote in the early evening, after work and either before, after, or in-between pub.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:30 

I feel completely flat. It’s not even as if I’ve reached the point where I don’t have the tiniest shred of hope, (though it is the tiniest), but my overwhelming hatred of Johnson and this government just eclipses that’s SO much that the noise blocks out any alternative. And I’m pretty sure there are people we all know that will be voting blue today, and I feel sick at that. I think I know a handful that will be, and who live in some of the poorest and most deprived areas of the country. I’ve spoken openly to my family about it, and am heartened by their responses, but none of us live in Tory areas.

That said, we’ve been a Labour constituency since we moved here, but I’ve seen a few places say that it’s one of the 15 key constituencies where non-Labour supporters will have to vote red to secure, though the margin hasn’t been narrow in the past. Maybe because our MP is Keith Vaz’s sister?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:00 
Gogmagog

15 hours until I say "Corbyn's fucked it", pour a larger glass of wine and stare at the ceiling in silence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 

I don’t think Corbyn has messed this up. It’s not him. He’s far (far) from perfect, but who, in this current political mess, could fight against the combined forces of a popular media that is so outrageously content to print pure fabrication, a country half whipped up into a nationalistic xenophobia, the combined forces of Trump and Putin wanting a wet sock to lead the UK, the cult of personality that Johnson is head of, and what is now the *real* actual problem with the internet in the willingness to share and believe such misinformation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:26 
Unpossible!

Civic duty performed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:34 
Isn't that lovely?

Wife and eldest son have voted (eldest son also acting as a proxy for his brother ).

I will vote after work

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:40 

I don’t think I’ll be watching the results tonight. I used to find a perverse excitement in it, but the way people, poor people, are treated now is cruel. Seeing deprived areas going blue is too horrible. And I hate the stupid face to be first to declare (is it Sunderland? Newcastle?) Count them carefully, more important than quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:07 

Mimi wrote:
I feel completely flat. It’s not even as if I’ve reached the point where I don’t have the tiniest shred of hope, (though it is the tiniest), but my overwhelming hatred of Johnson and this government just eclipses that’s SO much that the noise blocks out any alternative. And I’m pretty sure there are people we all know that will be voting blue today, and I feel sick at that. I think I know a handful that will be, and who live in some of the poorest and most deprived areas of the country. I’ve spoken openly to my family about it, and am heartened by their responses, but none of us live in Tory areas.

I get this Mimi. I totally do. What I feel I've lost the most over the past three years is my sense of empathy or general understanding of other people in this country. I tend to be an optimist, believing that 98% of people are genuiely decent - honest, loving, want the best for their families. People might not share my outlook or values or agree with me, but on the whole the aim (wanting the best for the country) is still there. Naive, I know, but probably a good foundation for healthy relationships. I also accept that people don't tend to follow politics or political issues as closely as I do, and on the whole if other things give you joy and a short news clip on the radio is your only contact, than fine. They're happy or if not happy just trying to survive and that's important.

What I've been struggling with is how things that seem so blatantly obvious to me just aren't registering to others, or if they do they are just discounted (eg the idea that Brexit can be "done" in one short action, like paying off a bill online or booking a train ticket, and that even assumes that we know and agree on what Brexit actually is; Mr Johnson's utter disregard for any sense of truth and his open racism and misogony).

In short, I'm just not being wowed by the emperor's awesome garb, but instead am repulsed by his hairy moobs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:16 
Gogmagog

And yet, Labour are poised to do rubbishly, again, despite having policies that are, they claim, pretty popular. Seems to make more sense to have to changed the mind of one person than the views of several million. It should have been done ages back. Still, he will get his Brexit, and retire after a short period after a narrative has been built and it can appear to be on his terms. The stupid, stupid, twat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:18 
Unpossible!

The worst thing about election day is the news coverage. Nothing happens all day but the media still treats it like a frigging high speed car chase.

"Now over to Brian in Stockport with some breaking news!" Cut to picture of old lady clutching a dog wearing a Brexit Party rosette.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:30 

I was thinking about the upopularity of Mr Corbyn this morning. Best I could come up with is that in part it might be the mirror of what I feel about Mr Johnson. If you are naturally Conservative/Labour-inclined, to drift over to another party takes some psychological difficulty. It takes a lot to get over your biases.

I don't like Mr Johnson in part because his behaviour and attitudes sums up a lot of what I most dislike about the political right. It might be that he's also a modern St Francis of Assissi and hugs small animals in his spare time, but this is completely lost amongst all this shit. Similarly, small c-conservative floaters look at Magic Grandpa and whilst there might be a lot of good in what he says, that will be lost amid all the other baggage he has. So to be a credible opposition leader, you have to make it easy and welcoming for people to approach your ship.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 

DavPaz wrote:
The worst thing about election day is the news coverage. Nothing happens all day but the media still treats it like a frigging high speed car chase.

"Now over to Brian in Stockport with some breaking news!" Cut to picture of old lady clutching a dog wearing a Brexit Party rosette.

On the other hand, I'm painfully aware that with Brexit and the election and the general poor shape of the country, I'm missing out on a lot of world news. The ongoing fall from grace of Aung San Suu Kyi is the only non-Trump thing that comes immediately to mind today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:32 

DavPaz wrote:
Civic duty performed.

You took your library books back on time?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:33 
Unpossible!

Kern wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Civic duty performed.

You took your library books back on time?

Tutted at a queue jumper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:38 

My obligatory election day anthem is Frank Turner's "Love, Ire, & Song" (Youtube), in particular the rousing ending:

Quote:
So come on, let's be young, let's be crass enough to care.
Let's refuse to live and learn, let's make all our mistakes again, yes.
And then darling, just for one day, we could fight and we could win,
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

Both Donna and I are in marginal seats, so there is a modicum of empowerment on the go here. I've had to convince D to vote labour from her usual lib dem though, as they haven't got a chance in her constituency.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:32 
Prince of Fops

https://twitter.com/lukeunabomber/statu ... 6198646784

Edit - apologies, still haven't mastered tweet embedding.

Last edited by Cras on Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:41, edited 2 times in total.
Fixed embedding

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:33 
Rude Belittler

I have voted. I feel this may be the last time I bother.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:36 

Mimi wrote:
I feel completely flat. It’s not even as if I’ve reached the point where I don’t have the tiniest shred of hope, (though it is the tiniest)

I'm with you on that. And it's the tiny shreds of hope that reel you in and set you up for a nasty fall. I have trouble maintaining a sense of perspective at the best of times, and now I find myself clutching at tweets saying there is hope of a hung parliament because the tories are only five points ahead in the latest polls, and letting myself believe that this it not only possible, but that it absolutely must happen, or all is lost (very similar to how I felt about applying - unsuccessfully - for a job recently - still not over that, but that's another story).

The alternative, of having to look for positives about another five years of Johnson as PM, veers between unremittingly bleak, and utterly impossible.

1997 was the first general election I was old enough to vote in. This one feels like the absolute polar opposite, in terms of hope, possibility, and expectation.

I'm planning to stay up and watch the results, as long as I can stand it, along with a diet of whisky, crisps and fingernails.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:40 
UltraMod

Take the ?s=20 off.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:57 
Prince of Fops

Mr Chonks wrote:
Take the ?s=20 off.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:33 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50755053

Fucking nailed it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:41 

One of the major decisions I usually face on election day is whether to watch the BBC coverage or try a commercial network for a change. Inevitably I'll hesitate for a while over the remote, then press "1"as usual.

Of course, this time round, I might not make it past the reveal of the exit poll.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 

DavPaz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50755053

Fucking nailed it

Yeah, but the Dogs At Polling Stations hashtag has been a thing for a good few years now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 

Someone we used to work with just posted this on Instagram. I just don’t understand how you can be on the fence BETWEEN LABOUR AND THE CONSERVATIVES about this point.

I can imagine how you might be ‘my heart says Green but my head says I should vote Labour’, or even Con/Brexit, whatever, but day of the vote and you’re not sure whether to vote Labour or Conservative in a few hours? Just seems so weird.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:51 

Interesting. Wonder where they got the image from? This is tapping into the "Corbyn is weak on defence" mental prompt.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:52 

Although the idea that in a war Mr Johnson would be fighting anything other than paternity suits is quite absurd too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:00 

Kern wrote:
Interesting. Wonder where they got the image from? This is tapping into the "Corbyn is weak on defence" mental prompt.

I doubt it’s anything like that. Knowing them I little I’d say the knew absolutely nothing about defence, but is equating ‘Brexit’ with ‘for our country’ and is torn between being pro-Brexit and also having three kids and having seen for them-self recently the local hospital problems.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:02 

I just don’t think they’d have anything like a clue on anything other than the very surface newspaper headlines.

Another person we worked with is running for the Greens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:05 
Isn't that lovely?

Some people will only vote for Labour or Conservative as they see them as the only 2 likely to form a government. Some people will also only vote for the party they think is going to win the whole thing as they want to back a winner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:09 

Yeah, and I understand that thinking. I just can’t quite wrap my head around how you could be split on option of Johnson and the current government, though. I get some people love him, and many despise him, but... I guess it’s just so far from how I feel that I’m trying, but finding it difficult.

I responded to the story (and only they can see) and also put this in my own stories. I put ‘a few people’ to make it seem less targeted, but really it was just one, and it was targeted, but if they really don’t know, and you can help change just one person’s mind? I dunno.

Urgh.

Today is a day. We are having a day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:37 
sneering elitist

Fighting the good fight Mimi :luv:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 15:29 
sneering elitist

Pictures of queues under the #YouthQuake hastag on twitter are making me optimistic and I can't bear it. I was going to plump for cynicism and despair.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 15:33 

I'm just going to stay despairing and cynical. I've not been on the winning side of any vote since forever and I see no reason to change now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 15:34 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I felt a slight glimmer of hope earlier on too but then I remembered that Labour couldn't even beat Theresa May properly.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 15:38 
chewbacca -future arc welder

There is no hope, only despair.

I want to watch the alternative election night but can't figure out if I'll be able to watch it live on all 4 on the ps 4, has anyone done that very specific thing before?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 15:40 
Isn't that lovely?

My Vote has successfully elected 1 person in two elections (Molly Scott Cato for the Greens in the 2015 and 2019 European Elections).

It has never successfully elected an MP or a Councillor or even been on the government's side.

I don't expect that to change this time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 17:24 
Rude Belittler

I'm not going to watch election night coverage, because I'd rather watch something a bit more hopeful and cheerful.

Like Threads.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 17:40 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

krazywookie wrote:
There is no hope, only despair.

Giphy "only zuul":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/tq9ePm11q0ImY/giphy-loop.mp4

Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next