Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Stadia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 22:20 
SavyGamer

Not really sure how "you don't need to upgrade your console to play these games" is a particularly compelling pitch when all of the games they are offering run fine on existing consoles (some even run fine on previous gen consoles).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 22:35 

I think when you look at the pricing it still doesn't really make sense - like sure, I get that people will probably find it easier to pay only $9.99 a month rather than $400 upfront, but $9.99 over 5 years is $600 and realistically, buying games through the online stores usually tends to be more expensive than picking it up at Tesco on launch day, or a few weeks down the line at CEX. That extra $200 would get you your 5 years of Live Gold too, so you'll still be getting the "free" games google said it would include with their subscription?

I can very much see the appeal for people with only 1080p TVs - since you don't need to pay the subscription for that. But assuming we're talking about people that want that 4k experience, for a comparable experience to next gen consoles (assuming at least 4k60 in next gen) you could end up paying more thanks to the online store game costs, and you could lose it all at the drop of a hat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 23:20 
SavyGamer

I love that Google said "If you subscribe to Stadia Pro you get one game a month included in the subscription, more or less".

"one game"

"more or less"

I'm very curious to see what happens in the months that it's less that one game.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 18:18 
Hello Hello Hello

'Google Delayedia'

Why are they launching it when so much stuff flat out isn't ready yet? I mean, it's Google, so it's not like they need the money.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 18:23 
SavyGamer

Because Microsoft and others will eat their lunch if they wait too long.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 18:26 
Hello Hello Hello

But if you launch something that's crap and incomplete, no one will buy it anyway, and just remember that it's crap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 20:11 
SavyGamer

Don't tell me that, tell Phil Harrison.

Although you'd have thought he'd have learned that from his work on the PS3 launch and the Xbox One launch, which he had key roles in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 21:08 
Esoteric

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... ech-review

Now with added input lag.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 22:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Ooohhh the vaseline special effects are back from OnLive too.

Attachment:
vassers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 0:28 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

All you need to know about stadia in one simple gif

https://twitter.com/GenePark/status/1196488999524802562

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:25 
Hello Hello Hello

In fairness isn't he on a work network so probably going through a load of firewalls and stuff?

Either way the whole thing is borked IMO. We've gone from:

SEE A GAME ON YOUTUBE YOU LIKE? JUST PRESS PLAY NOW AND THE GAME WILL MAGICALLY START ON WHATEVER DEVICE YOU OWN, FOR FREE!

To:

Pay too much to buy old games on a service you also have to pay a subscription for, and have to buy hardware for, with shit image quality, increased input lag, and the baked in Google probability that we'll likely just turn the whole thing off in a couple of years anyway. Oh yes, and you'd better have a really good internet connection that has no data caps, fair usage policy, or anyone else trying to use it for anything else at the same time. And you're not remotely interested in the next XBox or Playstation either, are you?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's a baffling launch, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:53 
Unpossible!

That lag is pretty shocking though. I lashed together a Frankenstein way of streaming xbox games to work from home through a VPN and it wasn't as laggy as that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:56 
Bad Girl

I’m sure they’ll sort it all out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 
Skillmeister

When I was 40 years old. I read a very good thread. I read a very good thread I found on Twitter TV. My name was Brian McGarckus. I stayed up listening to Carcass. When I was 40.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1196557401710837762

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 
Prince of Fops

Dimrill wrote:
When I was 40 years old. I read a very good thread. I read a very good thread I found on Twitter TV. My name was Brian McGarckus. I stayed up listening to Carcass. When I was 40.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1196557401710837762

That is a good read.

Gonna install a SunRay in the office, bedroom and lounge.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:16 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm genuinely at a loss to understand how Stadia is for now, certainly in its current form.

Maybe it'll look more interesting next year when the free tier is released, but by then Gamepass/XCloud will be dumping all over it from a great height.

It wouldn't surprise me if MS did a last big push with a new cheaper XB1 SKU as well, just to hammer the nails into the coffin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:49 
Prince of Fops

I'm at a point in life where I don't play PS4 enough to justify buying into the next generation. Therefore I can just about see a use-case for me. But that's based on it delivering a gameplay experience that isn't as frustrating as hell, with sensible pricing for games (or enough decent freebie games included.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:20 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
I'm at a point in life where I don't play PS4 enough to justify buying into the next generation. Therefore I can just about see a use-case for me. But that's based on it delivering a gameplay experience that isn't as frustrating as hell, with sensible pricing for games (or enough decent freebie games included.)

You'd still be essentially paying for the 'console' itself through the subscription so over a given amount of time it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper than buying a PS5. The price for the individual games then becomes an important deciding factor, as you allude to yourself, but without physical discs to create a second hand market I can't see it being cheaper than the PS5 (assuming you're happy to wait a bit for a given game to come down in price a bit rather than buying day one).

But you also need to give some thought to choice. All cross-platform games will come out on the PS5; I can't foresee all of them hitting Stadia given the porting work required for each one. Then there's exclusives, something Sony traditionally do incredibly well with and Google will never compete at.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 13:09 
SavyGamer

https://twitter.com/olafurw/status/1197079572690472961

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 13:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Seems legit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 13:29 
Unpossible!

It's not like Google don't have that information already. This will just confirm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 13:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ICQ is huge in Russia, you racists.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 13:53 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:

Xenophobes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 14:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Could be worse, could be a list of screen names for 86 different Google chat apps

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 14:07 
Numbskull

Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

You'd still be essentially paying for the 'console' itself through the subscription so over a given amount of time it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper than buying a PS5. The price for the individual games then becomes an important deciding factor, as you allude to yourself, but without physical discs to create a second hand market I can't see it being cheaper than the PS5 (assuming you're happy to wait a bit for a given game to come down in price a bit rather than buying day one).

But you also need to give some thought to choice. All cross-platform games will come out on the PS5; I can't foresee all of them hitting Stadia given the porting work required for each one. Then there's exclusives, something Sony traditionally do incredibly well with and Google will never compete at.

Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

This is a really good point. Subscriptions vs buying stuff full price on day one (not just games but also things like phones and all the rest).

Reminded me that I don't like subscriptions and made me think about how many I actually have. More than I thought. Spotify (more an addiction than a subscription, plus it works with all those personal spying devices we probably shouldn't have in our homes, but how good is it to speak to your bedroom clock to play a favourite song to your wife?). So that one's essential. Amazon Prime (pays for itself, but always has that reminder that I'm a hypocrite for despising the way they treat their workers, but still order from them). Retro Gamer (I need something to read on the bog). Mobile phone - 5 Euros a month and none of that two years nonsense. Come to think of it most of that sounds reasonable.

This post (like most of mine) might not be relevant to anything.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 14:26 

Grim... wrote:

Yeah, those Muscovites do get a bit nippy lining up at the hot dog stand.

Giphy "badum-tish":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/fGL0yU2hxEqDFE6O4G/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:46 
SavyGamer

Does seem strange that there's no Twitter/Facebook/discord/twitch etc though. I don't have a problem with including ICQ or any of the others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Xenophobes

No Davpaz, they're just people like you and me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:29 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Xenophobes

No Davpaz, they're just people like you and me!

I stand corrected, you dirty southerner.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:43 

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Yeah, those Muscovites do get a bit nippy lining up at the hot dog stand.

Disappointed, chaps. This was good!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:11 
ugvm'er at heart...

Too highbrow for this audience.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 

LewieP wrote:
https://twitter.com/olafurw/status/1197079572690472961

To be clear, this isn't Stadia platform per se. It's some community/forum that uses off-the-shelf software (you can see "Powered By Khoros" in the screenshot) that, presumably, is rather... behind the curve.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Too highbrow for this audience.

I assumed it was a typo :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 14:17 

Ruuuude.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 18:25 
Esoteric

I think what I found alarming was the fact it takes an unused 200mb connection to stream 4k, and some of the games are not 4k they're more like 1440p. It also lacks the quality of the XB1X @ actual 4k.

Firstly in the part of the UK I reside the fastest connection I could get is around 68mb and I'd pay dearly for that. 38 costs me around £44 a month. However with no cable there's nothing even close to 200mb any way.

Then the second issue. If someone even so much as farts whilst you're gaming by using the same connection it all goes a bit Pete Tong. So for 4k you need a 200mb connection doing absolutely nothing else but Stadia for it to work.

When you add up a year of 200mb internet over your typical Joe Schmo 38mb connection you could buy a 1x almost outright with the saving and lack of monthly sub fees.

So OK it's not really for 4k... Thing is 1080p consoles are very cheap now. So I just don't see the point really.

Maybe in 10 years things may change.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:04 
SavyGamer

Some of the games are actually 1080p upscaled, not even 1440p.

And there are compression artifacts such as colour banding and macroblocking. Which are particularly bad on their only exclusive game (which taked place at night so it's very dark).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Yeah RDR2 is an upscaled 1440p at 30FPS on what look like XB1X graphics settings, which is to say parity with what is generally LOW-HIGH on PC, with one setting that's so low it doesn't even have a PC equivalent.

Destiny 2 manages 60FPS but by running at an upscaled 1080p (!) and the equivalent of PC MEDIUM settings.

And this is before you get into the regular hitches, lag spikes, frame drops, and general crappery.

Some Canadian blokes were reviewing it on 1gig fibre and described gameplay as like watching a 720p YouTube video.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 
Unpossible!

Oh, golly gosh. Only 1080p. However will we manage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:32 
Hello Hello Hello

Well yes it's not like they're putting 4K60FPS front and centre in the marketing, charging £60 for years old games, and wanting £10 per month on top for a 4K60FPS subscription, is it?

No, wait, the other one.

Attachment:
lying_shitheels.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:39 
Unpossible!

6 months. You'll be a subscriber in 6 months

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Not a chance, there is literally nothing about it that appeals to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 
Unpossible!

Giphy "time will tell":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/Ojr7n76LQQujqDjHbe/giphy-loop.mp4

edit: Giphy can kiss my arse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 13:56 
Hello Hello Hello

The only thing left to do now is take bets on when Google turn it off.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 14:07 
Master of dodgy spelling....

i think it is 50/50

Google turning it off or you signing up.... :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 23:29 
Can you dig it?

Hearthly wrote:
with what is generally LOW-HIGH on PC, with one setting that's so low it doesn't even have a PC equivalent.

Is that.... above or below medium? (the low end of high.... or the high end of low :S ). I haven't messed about with PC settings for a long time so I'm not taking the piss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 23:35 
Hello Hello Hello

If you watch the Digital Foundry analysis, the XB1X version of RDR2 runs at a really weird potpourri of settings from the PC version, most of them are somewhere between LOW and HIGH, with a couple of VERY HIGHS, but also one that renders below even the PC's lowest setting.

The Stadia version of RDR2 appears to be running at the same fidelity as the XB1X version, which is to say, way below what the supposed specs of Stadia suggest (and advertise!) they would run the game at.

And then on top of that you've got to add in video compression, lurches, frame hitches, extra lag, and all the rest of it.

i.e. You'd be a lot better off just playing RDR2 on an XB1X.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:17 
Can you dig it?

Hearthly wrote:
If you watch the Digital Foundry analysis,

Nope.

Seriously tho, thanks for answering, that makes more sense now. I'll take your summary over watching the video tho.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:47 
Rude Belittler

Google Stadia: a solution looking for a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 21:54 
Hello Hello Hello

'Stadia has just been killed'

Reply to topic  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next