Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch (formerly "NX")
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm thinking about getting one of those lite thingies for my train commute. A few questions.

1) Should I just get a second hand normal switch instead? Bit bulkier for dropping in the bag, but not much heavier as far as I can tell.
b) I'll be using it on dodgy train wifi, so anything online is a no-go I expect, i'm assuming offline play is totally whizzo.
iii) The last Nintendo console I had was a GameCube (which was also my first Nintendo console), so assuming I have no rose tinted glasses or attachment to previous IP, what games should I be looking at? I enjoyed Mario Kart on the GC but I assume it won't be amazing single player offline, same for Smash Bros. I'm considering some sort of Zelda shit, or Skyrim, as I haven't played that yet.
$) No bluetooth headphones, what the fuck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:59 
Bad Girl

Yes, yes, Zelda; Mario Ody; Xenoblade; Bayonetta 2; Cuphead, i no rite!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

Second hand Switches on ebay seem ridiculously expensive, I think I would prefer to get a new Lite, rather than paying £50 more for a secondhand Switch. Especially as it will never be plugged into a TV.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:37 

Trooper wrote:
Second hand Switches on ebay seem ridiculously expensive, I think I would prefer to get a new Lite, rather than paying £50 more for a secondhand Switch. Especially as it will never be plugged into a TV.

And ho

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 14:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Trooper wrote:

Are you sure though? I use mine in handheld mode for 90% of the time but it is nice to plug it into a proper TV sometimes and experience the games on the big screen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 17:05 

TheVision wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Are you sure though? I use mine in handheld mode for 90% of the time but it is nice to plug it into a proper TV sometimes and experience the games on the big screen.

We use ours almost exclusively on the TV and only handheld when we’ve been away visiting family a few days to play a few moments before sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 17:08 
UltraMod

I almost never use handheld mode.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 17:33 
sneering elitist

I think I've mentioned this before but I expected to use mine docked for the most part but 95% of the time play handheld.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:51 
Participant in dramatic games

I think it is here about 30% handheld and 70 % docked... we did take it with us on holiday... my daughter getting about 200 moons in odyssey while in england

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 16:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Link's Awakening is glorious.

I'm fed up with modern TRIPLE AAA games and their open world, always online, microtransaction, loot box, friends integration infested bullshit.

So it's a modern remake of a Gameboy game from 1993. In my book this is a good thing.

Give me a well curated, single player experience game, with a start, a middle, and an end, and I'm happy.

Yeah it's £50, but £50 very well spent IMO, and at least there are no 'opportunities' for the player to exercise 'player choice' to buy a load of extra shit that was stripped out of the game to sell to us for extra money.

Marvellous stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 16:46 

Has there ever been any talk of Geometry Wars being remade for the Switch? Fond memories of GW2 Retro Evolved on XBLA, would love to get some of that action on the Switch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 17:11 
Hello Hello Hello

GazChap wrote:
Has there ever been any talk of Geometry Wars being remade for the Switch? Fond memories of GW2 Retro Evolved on XBLA, would love to get some of that action on the Switch.

It's on backwards compat for the XB1.

If you've got an XB1, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 17:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Yep just checked deffo there.

No good if you want to play it mobile though, I guess.

Attachment:
deffers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 17:28 

I do not have an XB1. Cheers, though.

Apparently there's a similar game called Debris Infinity on the Switch that is supposedly pretty good, but it has no Pacifism mode and is therefore worthless.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 18:43 
SavyGamer

Assault Android Cactus is on Switch and it's fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:25 
Can you dig it?

Hearthly wrote:
Link's Awakening is glorious.

I'm fed up with modern TRIPLE AAA games and their open world, always online, microtransaction, loot box, friends integration infested bullshit.

So it's a modern remake of a Gameboy game from 1993. In my book this is a good thing.

Give me a well curated, single player experience game, with a start, a middle, and an end, and I'm happy.

Yeah it's £50, but £50 very well spent IMO, and at least there are no 'opportunities' for the player to exercise 'player choice' to buy a load of extra shit that was stripped out of the game to sell to us for extra money.

Marvellous stuff.

I never finished Link's Awakening on my OG Gameboy and always wanted to return to it and finish it off. I do have very fond memories of it and am looking forward to getting a Switch at some point and playing this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:13 
Hello Hello Hello

It's magnificent, every single inch of it is hand-built to perfection. I never played the original but having watched a load of reviews, they have added some quality of life improvements that sound quite significant to me, such as using the extra buttons on the Switch controller to mean that your shield and sword are always equipped and accessible with a button, to massively reduce the time spent fiddling around in your inventory swapping stuff around.

The graphics are endlessly joyful to behold, and the whole game has a lovely, gentle, whimsical sense of humour about it that I really enjoy.

Add in a splendid soundtrack and the whole package is simply a pleasure to experience.

Gameplay wise it's not tough (there is an optional 'Hero' mode for those who want more of a challenge), but it's pure fun to play and I'm quite content with solving the interesting puzzles and finding everything in the dungeons.

And it also has (wait for it......):

FULLY FEATURED SAVE FUNCTIONALITY

As in, you can literally save your game (to one of three slots) at ANY POINT and it saves your game at that exact moment in time, and then you can load that game back in later on.

No checkpointing, no waiting for a little swirly icon to show you that the game has been kind enough to save on your behalf, just save and load at will.

The loss of old-fashioned save/load functionality (FOR ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON) is one of the most teeth-grindingly annoying things about modern games IMO, so this is a very welcome feature in my book.

£50 for a remake of a 1993 Gameboy game might look a bit bonkers on paper, but I defy anyone to play this for an hour and still say they think it's too much money.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 13:28 
Bad Girl

Weirdly excited about this!

Brain Training for the Switch!

https://youtu.be/6_jnLSUquR8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:27 
Excellent Member

My criteria for potential Switch games is possible different from other people as it need to be something relatively lightweight, properly playable on the smaller screen and not too long as it'll only get played in very short bursts. With that in mind, here's the list of stuff I've just compiled from my Steam wishlist and other sources in case it's of any use to anyone:

Baba Is You
Crossing Souls
Donut County
FAR: Lone Sails
Figment
Flipping Death
Gato Roboto
Glass Masquerade
Gris
Ittle Dew 2
Kentucky Route Zero
Mark of the Ninja
Owlboy
Pikuniku
Pinstripe
Return of the Obra Dinn
Steamworld Dig 2
Super Daryl Deluxe
The Gardens Between
The Swords of Ditto: Mormo’s Curse
WanderSong
What The Golf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 18:01 
Bad Girl

I’ve got a running list of games I’m gonna get, which I’m going to reproduce here because everyone loves a list, and some are even for the Switch:

Street Fight 30th anniversary
Xenoblade Chronicles: DLC
Out Run (Switch)
Shovel Knight
The Division 2
Risk of Rain 2 –
Yoshi’s Crafted World (Switch)
Rage 2
Castlevania Anniversary Collection
Valfaris - contra game looks mad
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Contra Anniversary Collection
Control
River City Girls
What the Golf?
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD
Code Vein
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Switch)
Astral Chain (Switch)
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch)
The Surge 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 18:11 
sneering elitist

Played Heave Ho with my sister last week and it was surprisingly funny. Good multiplayer game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 
Excellent Member

RE: Sat's list; What The Golf looks brilliant and ideal Switch fodder but I'm not sure when it's out on that. It's been announced but no release date yet I don't think.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:25 
Bad Girl

When I added it to my list from the VG247 website it said 1 Oct release date, so it might be pushed back into 2020. It does look great though, but then again so did “Pool Panic” and that turned out to be a steaming turd.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:39 

Bamba wrote:
RE: Sat's list; What The Golf looks brilliant and ideal Switch fodder but I'm not sure when it's out on that. It's been announced but no release date yet I don't think.

What The Golf is on Apple Arcade. It's really good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:39 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

It came out on 1st Oct for iOS as part of the apple arcade launch - it was okay but nothing special

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:48 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
It came out on 1st Oct for iOS as part of the apple arcade launch - it was okay but nothing special

I’ll take it off the list then. Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:16 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:

What The Golf is on Apple Arcade. It's really good.

It's out on the PC as well like, it just looks like the kind of nonsense that would be ideal for me on the Switch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:22 

Bamba wrote:
It's out on the PC as well like, it just looks like the kind of nonsense that would be ideal for me on the Switch.

For sure. Especially as it's better with touch controls, I suspect. More than anything else it reminds me of WarioWare.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 16:51 
Skillmeister

Luigi's Mansion 3 is very Luigi's Mansion so far. Mine came with a little hat keyring.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 21:22 

My Luigi's mansion didn't arrive.. grr...I'm getting Boo-lamp with it btw.. loved on the cube.. mild irritating controls on 2 on the 3ds.. still looking forward to its cartoon vision..

Bought ringfit last week as well, my daughter loves it.. I can't much with it myself because of another surgery, but it wil be Bunin recovery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 22:21 

Mine arrived today. No key ring as I didn’t want to cancel/reorder a but I love Luigis Mansion so much! I loved it on GC too, and liked the DS version but again found the controls frustrating so I’m really looking forwards to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 16:27 

Yes!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 16:27 

Your lamp is brilliant!!

Worth a day’s wsit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 19:17 

Thanks. Did you spot my cat, named Mimi, on the photo as well?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:17 

Hearthly wrote:
The loss of old-fashioned save/load functionality (FOR ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON) is one of the most teeth-grindingly annoying things about modern games IMO
In general, when making sweeping statements about how other people are wrong, it’s good form to acknowledge that maybe things are more complex than they appear to you.

For example, consider this: https://twitter.com/enichan/status/1190745186705514503

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:38 

romanista wrote:
Thanks. Did you spot my cat, named Mimi, on the photo as well?

Yes, I think she wants to join in. Get her in on co-op mode! She’s lovely. I like her markings!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 18:33 
Bad Girl

So I’ve purchased one of those Wireless Pro Controllers for the Switch.

First impressions:

It feels a bit “cheap”.

The alphabet buttons are big and spongy but feel like it’s made for children, like young children, it doesn’t feel like a serious bit of kit despite costing about the same as a DualShock and Xbox pad;

The D-Pad is alright but, again, feels cheap and kiddie. Most annoyingly if you press, say, down ONLY on the D-Pad AND DONT PRESS LEFT AT ALL but rock your finger to the left slightly on the down part you’ll get the diagonal down/left. I started to notice it while scrolling through the eShop and I kept moving over to the side bar. Really dicked me off.

The backside is a bit weird. You can see the ‘back’ of it and then there’s a clear plastic bit that goes over the top of that that’s actually the back. You can’t remove it to grip the pad any tighter. I’m not sure what to make of it other than it looks a bit shit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 18:35 
Bad Girl

Quote:
It feels a bit “cheap”... despite costing about the same as a DualShock and Xbox pad;

No it fucking isn’t! It’s the most expensive out the 3!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 18:39 
Bad Girl

I miss when magazines reviewed controllers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 19:49 
UltraMod

I think it’s great apart from no analogue triggers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 21:17 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just realised that the Switch doesn't have analogue triggers. Wow.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:56 

massive mario 64 mod https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... s-cat-suit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 20:26 

Cool. Amiga demo scene meets tourism https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... h-analysis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 14:19 

Bought the tourist now. Really top fun holiday adventure with voxel graphics. It’s jus tfun to do the side quest and things like diving. It even includes some arcade games. Rven though the lara croft style puzzles in the monuments are somewhat easy.
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/swi ... op/touryst

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 17:50 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Some free switch titles

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ninten ... op-3360304

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 18:14 
UltraMod

zaphod79 wrote:

Are any of them any good?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 18:23 
Bad Girl

Mystery Game TBA is brilliant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 18:57 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:

Downloading now

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 20:20 

Mr Chonks wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Downloading now

You are living in the future?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:52 
Can you dig it?

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
The loss of old-fashioned save/load functionality (FOR ABSOLUTELY NO GOOD REASON) is one of the most teeth-grindingly annoying things about modern games IMO
In general, when making sweeping statements about how other people are wrong, it’s good form to acknowledge that maybe things are more complex than they appear to you.

For example, consider this: https://twitter.com/enichan/status/1190745186705514503

It might be a little bit old now, but I hadn't read this thread for a while - that's interesting reading and I didn't really think about it in much detail before (and of course, I'm no developer or anywhere even close). Thanks for sharing that, I learned some things from reading it and a few of the comments before my poor little mind got a bit too lost in the detail.

Reply to topic  [ 1782 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 36  Next