All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: World of Warcraft goes free-to-play
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 18:29 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Does anyone live physically close enough to Kovacs to go round his house and slap him on behalf of the entire forum?

oh fuck off :)

it just baffles me that the WoW folks are happy with a shit service...

Look dude, every aspect of this has now been explained to you multiple times by multiple people. It's perfectly fine if you still don't get it, but, with all the respect and love in the world, could you possibly shut up about it as it's very tedious?

I get it all. Trust me. I just find it shit. If I designed a system like this. I would be fired.

It was meant to be the original game I changed. If they changed the game for instances, could the whole game not be instanced. No queuing.
As it got quiet remove instances.

I don’t know. You could always scroll past. That might help with the tediousness.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 19:12 
ugvm'er at heart...

KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Does anyone live physically close enough to Kovacs to go round his house and slap him on behalf of the entire forum?

Look dude, every aspect of this has now been explained to you multiple times by multiple people. It's perfectly fine if you still don't get it, but, with all the respect and love in the world, could you possibly shut up about it as it's very tedious?

I get it all. Trust me. I just find it shit. If I designed a system like this. I would be fired.

It was meant to be the original game I changed. If they changed the game for instances, could the whole game not be instanced. No queuing.

I don’t know. You could always scroll past. That might help with the tediousness.

Yes, the whole game could be instances... Which is what they do with the 2019 version of the game... But this is the 2005 version...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 19:22 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Dude, I'm not the one banging on about this past the point everyone else is sick of explaining it. That's you.

Either everyone else is wrong, or you don't get it as well as you think. Either way: please, please shut up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 19:46 

Trooper wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Yes, the whole game could be instances... Which is what they do with the 2019 version of the game... But this is the 2005 version...

2005 did not have layers and that has been added.

You get my point. It has been changed it is not Vanilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 19:47 

Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Dude, I'm not the one banging on about this past the point everyone else is sick of explaining it. That's you.

Either everyone else is wrong, or you don't get it as well as you think. Either way: please, please shut up.

Mate. You are coming across as a twat. I will be ignoring you from now on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:44 
Excellent Member

KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Mate. You are coming across as a twat. I will be ignoring you from now on.

Oh, yeah, it's definitely me that's being the twat here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:52 

I am not getting into an argument. But yes you are.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:01 
UltraMod

I love when the word ‘mate’ is used to mean ‘twat’

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:39 
Gogmagog

Mr chonks is my favourite mate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:40 
Unpossible!

He's a mate to us all

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 17:08 
Sleepyhead

KovacsC wrote:

This almost feels like a line from that Monty Python sketch.

*awaits intentional misunderstandings*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 17:29 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Curiosity wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

This almost feels like a line from that Monty Python sketch.

*awaits intentional misunderstandings*

I agree, it certainly does!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 17:30 

I have stopped. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:42 
Hello Hello Hello

So then, WoW Classic.....

Still having loads of fun with it, Mrs Hearthly and I are deliberately taking things at a very leisurely pace. For example yesterday evening we got a 'breadcrumb' quest to take us all the way from the Undead starting zones to The Crossroads in The Barrens (which is on the opposite continent and is a hell of a trek once you get there). It's the kind of quest you can safely ignore and just carry on with your current quests where you are, but one of the rewards was a really nice pair of caster gloves that Mrs Hearthly immediately had her beady eyes on.

I suggested we head out there to get her the gloves, and also for a change of scenery (both points she was keen on), so we ran up to the North of Undercity, got the zeppelin over to Orgrimmar and set off on foot down to The Barrens. Once we got to The Crossroads in The Barrens I then suggested we carry on to Thunder Bluff (the Tauren capital city) in Mulgore, since it's the next zone over and another flight point to grab. Plus having capitals available to fly to are always handy for trainers, auction houses, banks and so on.

All in all in pure travelling time it was about 40 minutes, literally 40 minutes to basically do nothing except 'travel', turn one quest in to get some gloves for Mrs Hearthly, and grab three flight points.

And it was fun. I think it's a mindset as much as anything, in a lot of ways the game is its world, as many people have said of Classic, 'it's about the journey, not the destination', and that's how we're approaching it. As we walked through Mulgore together and we saw Thunder Bluff come into view in the distance, and the lovely music kicked in, the point was to enjoy that sense of place in the game's world, even though we weren't technically 'doing much'. (There was still a point, to get to a new capital city.)

Later on, after Mrs Hearthly and Jnr had gone upstairs, I spent some time seeing what I could list on the auction house for a few silver pieces (cash is still really right and I'm having to be choosy as to what new abilities to train as I level up), before re-speccing my warrior to Fury spec as Protection is overkill for two-player questing, and then travelled back to The Barrens to test my new spec and rotation on some baddies, before retiring for the evening to a hammock in the inn at The Crossroads.

As I settled down I did a /say 'Good evening' and was rewarded with someone blowing me a kiss and a Tauren Hunter flexing his muscles at me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:22 
Hello Hello Hello

So we've rolled Alliance characters too, and we're alternating between Alliance and Horde, playing when we've got a decent chunk of rest XP, which with the XP sharing from mob kills basically means normal XP awards.

We've gone for a caster combo on Alliance, an high DPS option but very little to fall back on when things go pear shaped. I got killed by a pig called Princess that was accompanied by her 'Porcine Entourage'.

We always find somewhere nice for our characters to settle down for the evening, although we are keeping things decent by occupying separate beds at the inn.

Attachment:
boobers.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 
Hello Hello Hello

So then, the next WoW expansion lands later this month (and it's looking like a good one, WoW expansions are a bit like Star Trek movies), however you could argue the bigger news is the changes that are already implemented in the game in the pre-expansion major patch.

The TL:DR version is that the levelling process has been MASSIVELY overhauled. There's been a 'level squish' so that the current level cap of 120 has been reduced to 50, and the new expansion will take players from 50 to 60. (60 will be the cap at that point.)

In addition to this, you can now level a character to the level cap in a single expansion, and there's a new starter zone to level from 1 to 10.

So in simple terms:

Levels 1-10 are done in a new custom zone called Exile's Reach, this takes around an hour. It's essentially a tutorial for the game, introduces you to your chosen class, unlocks key abilities, and gives a decent feel for the game. (Even if you're a seasoned player it's an entertaining enough romp, or you can choose to do the old 'traditional' starter zone if you prefer.)

Levels 10-50 are now done in a single expansion. You can go and see Chromie in your capital city and she'll beam you off to Outland/Wrath/Cata etc, or you can remain in Vanilla. Either way the XP rewards have been tuned to ensure you hit the new level cap of 50 in a single expansion. (You can also choose to do the current expansion, Battle For Azeroth, which will also do 10-50.)

Levels 50-60 will be done when Shadowlands is released.

In terms of making the game 'levelling friendly' it's a massive change for the better, and surprising in some regards as Blizzard have rendered the (very expensive) character boost service largely redundant, as it's HUGELY quicker to level a character to the cap.

I rolled a new Level 1 Hunter last week and he's Level 42 already, and I've not even been playing him that much.

What these changes do mean is that the entire game now scales to your current level, in a way this makes the whole game 'Level 1', as you can never be under-level, or overpowered for the content you're currently playing. (It also means that when using the dungeon finder, it will cheerfully throw characters at massively different levels together in the same instance and they all get an appropriate experience.)

There is still a sense of progression though as new abilities, spells, talents etc are unlocked as you level up.

Other changes? The graphics engine has had another upgrade and is surprisingly demanding at the top settings and looks very pretty too. Ray-traced shadows are even in there if you've got an RTX graphics card. (My gaming laptop has an RTX2070 in it as opposed to the GTX1080 in my gaming PC, but having tried the game on both, the ray-traced shadows aren't that dramatic TBH, the definition of light sources for example is very, very limited.)

Anyway, probably as good a time as any to take a look if you never have before, or for a lapsed player to dip their toes back in.

Oh yes and gold is largely redundant now, the game throws so much money at you (and essentials such as bags) that it's not something you need to worry about at all. (Unless you're determined to buy all the most expensive goodies the game has to offer.)

Reply to topic  [ 566 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12