PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 13:34 
Awesome
Yes

Zardoz wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
So I should feel bad that my next holiday will see me taking my ridiculous car overseas to eat steaks, and add hundreds of food miles to the large volume of beer I bring back?

If you don't have kids, your carbon is thoroughly offset.

Or a dog.

What's the carbon footprint of cat ownership?

Cats reduce emissions.

I noticed this. Bravo.

Post subject: Re: Climate change
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:58 

https://www.wired.com/story/more-eviden ... al_twitter

Quote:
Two years ago, Inside Climate News and Los Angeles Times investigations found that while Exxon Mobil internally acknowledged that climate change is man-made and serious, it publicly manufactured doubt about the science. Exxon has been trying unsuccessfully to smother this slow-burning PR crisis ever since, arguing the findings were “deliberately cherry picked statements.” But the company’s problems have grown to include probes of its business practices by the New York and Massachusetts attorneys general and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Now, science historian Naomi Oreskes and Harvard researcher Geoffrey Supran have published the first peer-reviewed, comprehensive analysis of Exxon’s climate communications that adds more heft to these charges. Exxon dared the public to “read all of these documents and make up your own mind,” in a company blog post in 2015. The new paper, “Assessing ExxonMobil’s Climate Change Communications,” in the journal Environmental Research Letters, takes up the challenge. Oreskes and Supran systematically analyze nearly 40 years of Exxon’s scientific research, reports, internal documents, and advertisements, and find a deep disconnect between how the company directly communicated climate change and its internal memos and scientific studies.

“The issue of taking things out of context or cherry-picking data is an important one, and one all historians and journalists deal with,” Oreskes tells Mother Jones. “When Exxon Mobil accuses journalists of cherry-picking, there is a way we can address that; there are analyses we can do to avoid these issues. Well, if you think the LA Times is cherry-picking [examples], we’ll look at all of them. Nobody can say we are selecting things out of context.”

Their content analysis examines how 187 company documents treated climate change from 1977 through 2014. Researchers found that of the documents that address the causes of climate change, 83 percent of its peer-reviewed scientific literature and 80 percent of its internal documents said it was real and man-made, while the opposite was true of the ads. The researchers analyzed ads published in the New York Times between 1989 and 2004. In those ads, 81 percent expressed doubt about the scientific consensus, tending to emphasize the “uncertainty’ and “knowledge gap,” while just 12 percent affirmed the science.

The same pattern holds for how Exxon has addressed the seriousness of the consequences of climate change. Downplaying the impacts is another tactic climate deniers tend to use to call for more delays in implementing policies that curb fossil fuel use. Sixty percent of Exxon’s peer-reviewed papers and 53 percent of its internal documents acknowledge serious impacts—a 1982 internal document lists flooding and sea level rise and a 2002 paper lists coral reef bleaching and the disintegration of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet among them—but Exxon’s ads were more likely to claim, “The sky is not falling.”
Oreskes and Supran write that Exxon “contributed quietly to the science and loudly to raising doubts about it.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 22:17 

https://www.cnet.com/news/humans-respon ... 05-10aaa0j

Quote:
Humans responsible for heating the Earth, US report says

In the largest climate science report ever published, the nation's top scientists say climate change is real, and humans are the cause.

The Earth is hotter, climate change is real, and humans are the most likely cause, according to a report released Friday by the US government.

The federally mandated Climate Science Special Report is the first of two volumes prepared by the country's top scientists for the president, Congress and the public. The report was prepared by hundreds of scientists, who examined more than 1,500 scientific studies and reports to write it. This is the fourth National Climate Assessment, which must be published every four years, according to the Global Change Research Act of 1990.

"The Climate Science Special Report lays out the most recent scientific evidence of climate change, once again confirming that climate change is real, it's happening now, and human activity is the primary cause," Rush Holt, CEO of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, said in a statement.

The last three years have been the warmest on record, according to the report, which expects climate-related extremes to continue. The federal report also makes clear that human activity is responsible for climate change. It was peer reviewed by the National Academy of Sciences. The White House Office of Science and Technology signed off on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 22:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Quote:
This is the fourth National Climate Assessment, which must be published every four years, according to the Global Change Research Act of 1990.

Objection: maths.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 16:43 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Quote:
Losing Earth: The Decade We
Almost Stopped Climate Change

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... &smtyp=cur

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 23:58 
Can you dig it?

It's dry here in NSW, so so dry and we aren't in a warm period by any means. Everything is brown and dry and dying. I can't remember when we last saw good, heavy, consistent rain.

It's obviously causing a lot of problems all over the place (farming, wildlife, fire risks). There's a lot of concern about farming and livestock, and efforts made to raise money or even 'buy a bale' for a farmer. There's also a growing nationalism - 'why are we sending money abroad to help others instead of spending it on our own farmers?', that sort of thing. It's quite an uncomfortable feeling, like people are wanting to withdraw, close borders, and also prop up a system that is maybe, really, unsustainable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:49 

As far back as the 90s, Exxon was using internal climate change models to calculate how much taller to build oil derrick platforms (to compensate for sea rises) and how much longer the drilling season would be in the Arctic.

https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/1 ... 5729273856

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 18:25 
UltraMod

Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:05 
Isn't that lovely?

Have you guys seen what's going on in Spain? Looks absolutely devastating! :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:08 
Isn't that lovely?

https://youtu.be/3w_QPVXr24s

There's some of it, but some of parent's friends are posting really bad stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:40 
Soopah red DS

I met another delightful older (even than me) gent here in Canada the other day. Talking about the hurricane that was about to hit East Canada, he chipped in with "Been happening for years. It's not climate change. That's just a tax!"

They, like the US (and the UK?) have a real problem with older, single males who believe that sort of stuff and, when they get onto it, head for rantsville. The last one I met was telling me all about Tommy Robinson and the 'real news' on Youtube.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:18 
Isn't that lovely?

I meant videos of really bad flooding!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:19 
Gogmagog

MrsA's pulled Fortnite from school to attend the protests today. Nice day for it. Fornite's been briefed ("stay away from the SWP, anyone with new boots is a copper's nark, ball bearings are a suitable replacement for caltrops when shit goes sideways") and I'm proud that MrsA has done it. Overwatch is going as well.

I am also really, really, over the moon that it is happening and being driven by a sixteen year old who is bloody marvellous.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 

MaliA wrote:
MrsA's pulled Fortnite from school to attend the protests today. Nice day for it. Fornite's been briefed ("stay away from the SWP, anyone with new boots is a copper's nark, ball bearings are a suitable replacement for caltrops when shit goes sideways") and I'm proud that MrsA has done it. Overwatch is going as well.

I am also really, really, over the moon that it is happening and being driven by a sixteen year old who is bloody marvellous.

I'm glad that it's happening but it's also utterly heartbreaking. It's too late and we've already fucked it for them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:30 

MaliA wrote:

Excellent stuff. Enjoy the day.

Are you making placards?

And yes, I think she's brilliant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 19:50 
Sitting balls-back folder

A load of people made the climate better today by blocking bits and pieces of the roads across the river in Worcester today, bravely forcing thousands of drivers to idle their cars all morning

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:13 
Gogmagog

Good work, Turner

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:19 

I guess if the road was blocked and the cars weren’t moving they’d have turned their engines off?

There’s a difficult line between making a point of noticeable protest and adding to the problem you are protesting. I see this action as more aimed towards industry and government, because little changes help, but carrying metal drinking straws isn’t going to save the planet without big change happening alongside it.

There was one IGer big in the handmade clothing world going on about her metal straw and how she carries it everywhere, has two for her luggage, travelling to Milan, then Japan for a meeting, then to sign some deal in the US, carefully posed pictures of her and her straw on all these jet flights.

I was just looking at group all in costume on IG, for the protest. Visually arresting, but not costumes you could wear again. All ripped cloth and huge swathes of fabric, and I can see from the way it’s catching the light and moving that they are all handmade fabrics using synthetic dyes.

I dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:20 

MaliA wrote:
Good work, Turner

Made from a case of wine. That’s like having MrsA’s signature on it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:26 

JBR wrote:
I met another delightful older (even than me) gent here in Canada the other day.

Cras wrote:
Objection: maths.

Quoting these two things one after the other for no reason at all.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:14 

BikNorton wrote:
A load of people made the climate better today by blocking bits and pieces of the roads across the river in Worcester today, bravely forcing thousands of drivers to idle their cars all morning

Alright, calm down Clarkson.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 21:46 
Comfortably Dumb

Attachment:
mmr.PNG

Ray there, doing Newcastle-under-Lyme proud with that comment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 22:02 

Is it tinfoil to wonder about drone strikes on oil facilities? Rising oil prices play right into the hands of anyone wanting to get at the remaining, more difficult to extract reserves. Even if it was just Iran Trump must be loving it. A twofer if he can get a war out of it! We're so fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:27 
Malc wrote:
Have you guys seen what's going on in Spain? Looks absolutely devastating! :(

I was actually in south spain during the massive storms. Where I was it wasn't flooding bad, but it pissed it down for 3 days straight, constant thunder and lightning and I was pretty darn worried my flight away wouldn't take off. It was only when I got to Belgium that I saw the news of the flooding there and realised I got pretty lucky.

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10