Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
 Post subject: Re: Windows 10
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 23:18 
Isn't that lovely?

We have 8 active (I have 3 laptops, my wife 2, my 3 sons, 1 each). However, I have about a dozen old Pcs with various versions of Windows (from Windows 95 to windows 8) in the loft.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 

Malc wrote:
We have 8 active (I have 3 laptops, my wife 2, my 3 sons, 1 each). However, I have about a dozen old Pcs with various versions of Windows (from Windows 95 to windows 8) in the loft.

That seems a fair way to describe Windows 8.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:20 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:
I'm on version 1803 of Windows 10 and haven't had the free disk space to install 1809 until tonight. It took a couple of shots at it and failed both times (without any useful feedback as to why of course) and now it's literally just given up entirely. Windows Update says I'm totally up to date at 1803 and that's that. So, fuck knows what'll happen now?

It'll probably have a punt at it at some random time in the future.

We have five Windows 10 machines in the house - (plus my personal work laptop which makes six) - and they all seem to decide arbitrarily what updates they need and what constitutes being 'up to date', although I guess that's partly because Microsoft's backend is trying to work out which bit of their shitty code will kill any of them stone dead at any given time.

Off the top of my head we've got three at 1803 and three at 1809, they all say they are 'up to date'.

I've given up trying to control Windows 10, it's a rolling shitshow that'd be funny if it weren't so serious. We also still have two Windows 7 machines in the house, they're a dream by comparison.

Just for the sake of not having to care about it any more, I found a wee Microsoft app that runs the update install as a standalone thing and got it onto my machine with no hassle. This thing here in fact:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -assistant

The Start Menu has been rearranged a bit (but, thankfully, still suggests installed applications as the first result when searching so my use of it will remains exactly the same) and now the background of opened folders is black instead of white which is a bit jarring (and will probably be changeable I'd imagine). Aside from that nothing seemed different in the few minutes I spent with it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:33 
Prince of Fops

I installed the latest update this week and now the icons in this panel are constantly cycling and changing position, accompanied with the plink--plink-plink-plink alert and it's driving me insane.

Anyone else experienced this? And if not, anyone know what you'd call this part of the OS? Not sure what to search for.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:38 
Unpossible!

It's the notification panel, if that helps

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:38 
Unpossible!

Also, stop things opening on login. Close things you're not using. Poor PC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 
Prince of Fops

are those all applications that have opened on login? Pricks.

Next stupid question - how do i tell them not to open?

Thanks re notification panel ID.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:05 
Unpossible!

I recognise a few that can be told not to launch at login. Spotify, GOG, Epic launcher, One Drive, some segate thing (an auto backup program perhaps?). There's usually an option in the apps to prevent auto launch. If not, Task Manager > More Details > Startup Tab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

There's an easier way. Just type 'Startup' into your search bar and launch the 'startup apps' that you should see appear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:08 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:
There's an easier way. Just type 'Startup' into your search bar and launch the 'startup apps' that you should see appear.

Well, yeah. If you want life to be "easy" :DD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:18 
Prince of Fops

Cheers chaps! Christ, I've just told a lot of apps to fuck off. Feel a bit bad, but it was the right thing to do. Presumptuous twats.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 13:05 
Esoteric

Just to clear this up. Those "dodgy, stolen etc" keys for sale on Amazon and eBay are now apparently perfectly legal and legitimate in the EU.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... c98c59cbb6

According to the decision of the European Court (Curia) of Justice on the 3rd of july in 2012, (C-128/11.) the sale of software is permitted even without the physical transport of the medium (CD/DVD/Pendrive). The transfer of the used license activation keys is permitted, furthermore the sale, transfer of the unused software licenses is legal regardless of whether the software license is on a medium or online license activation key. The software company shall not prevent the further sale of its license, and usage of its software, including OEM, DSP and ESD versions. The software company’s copyright is exhausted when its software has been sold for the first time. The individual sale of Volume License and the trading of online transferable licenses are permitted.

So there you go.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 13:20 
ugvm'er at heart...

I think the point was more that they are bought using stolen credit cards etc... Not that specifically selling a key is illegal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 13:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

No, it's that an OEM licence can only be sold by an OEM - that is, a company selling you hardware on which the software is installed.

That judgement states that selling of OEM licenses is legal. It always was. It doesn't change the terms of the license which state that it can only be sold by an OEM selling it for use with their hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 13:36 
Esoteric

Trooper wrote:
I think the point was more that they are bought using stolen credit cards etc... Not that specifically selling a key is illegal.

No idea. I know G2A is dodgy so I don't use them.

I've bought 5 now, two of which in 2016 and they're still alive and well.

The point is you can buy them with a clear conscience.

Apparently Steam are next. They're now being told that people should be able to sell on their games.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 13:39 
Esoteric

Cras wrote:
No, it's that an OEM licence can only be sold by an OEM - that is, a company selling you hardware on which the software is installed.

That judgement states that selling of OEM licenses is legal. It always was. It doesn't change the terms of the license which state that it can only be sold by an OEM selling it for use with their hardware.

The transfer of the used license activation keys is permitted, furthermore the sale, transfer of the unused software licenses is legal regardless of whether the software license is on a medium

From what I understand of that bit they are saying that a used OEM license or any other can be resold regardless of what it's on.

I'm aware of the old laws as my company used to sell OEM 98 licenses with an £11 floppy drive as the storage medium to make it legal.

Reply to topic  [ 1116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23