Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 13:58 
Ready for action

I'm nearly finished a second playthrough of The Last of Us on PS4. I played it when it first came out and wanted to remind myself of the story before the next one is released. I forgot how creepy some of it is!
Has anyone played the DLC prologue and is it worth my time?

Not sure if I'll have time to move onto another game next or if I'll just wait for TLOU2. I quite fancy replaying all of the Assassins Creed games from 2 onwards but not sure if they're available on PS4 and really not sure if I can afford the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 14:08 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

sdg wrote:

I've not played it but it got very good reviews and everything i've seen on it suggests its much more of a story than an extra set of maps or challenges

It apparently takes 2 hours to play through - there are spoilers in this review but linking it just for the title alone

https://www.polygon.com/2014/12/31/7475 ... -hours-dlc

Quote:
2014 in review: The Last of Us: Left Behind was the best two hours of the year

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 14:30 
Excellent Member

I enjoyed the DLC more than the full game for what it's worth.

And this would cover you for AC games:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Cree ... B01LXUGJKB

Quote:
...includes the acclaimed single-player campaigns and single-player add-on content* from Assassin’s Creed II, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Assassin’s Creed Revelations with enhanced graphics systems.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 15:53 
UltraMod

I loved the DLC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 16:37 
Esoteric

Still Fallout 3. Absolutely loving it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 18:00 
Bad Girl

Quote:

If you loved the characters and the story then absolutely. If all you want to do is blast zombies then you’ll be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 19:07 
Hello Hello Hello

sdg wrote:

It's a wonderful addition to the main game, as has already been noted, it's quite a different thing to the main game, but for my money that made it even more magical.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 6#p1003216

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 21:28 
Hibernating Druid

I’m sure you’d enjoy the DLC, SDG

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 21:33 
Rude Belittler

Yeah, the DLC is worth a play through.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 22:01 
Ready for action

I’m definitely in it for characters and story over shooting zombies. Great news, thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 22:01 
Ready for action

Bamba wrote:
I enjoyed the DLC more than the full game for what it's worth.

And this would cover you for AC games:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Assassins-Cree ... B01LXUGJKB

Quote:
...includes the acclaimed single-player campaigns and single-player add-on content* from Assassin’s Creed II, Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, and Assassin’s Creed Revelations with enhanced graphics systems.

This is perfect! I’ll need to make the time for this!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:07 
Excellent Member

Archero, a roguelike 'shooter' for Android (and iOS) built around the central conceit that your character fires whenever he's not moving. Each stage is a very short and randomly generated opportunity to either (a) murder a load of guys and earn XP towards one of a load of inventive and stacking weapon upgrades or (b) fuck it up and lose loads of health/die. There are permanent upgrades to also earn and multiple stages to progress through if you can survive through the 50 levels require to move on from one to another. It's free with microtransactions (of course) but I've been playing it for a wee while and happily ignored all that bullshit while still feeling like I'm getting a little bit further each time. Your guy auto-targets so literally the only control is a single joystick to move or stop with and so far I haven't felt like death was anything buy my own fault. Because it's randomly generated it does have that issue where you can have an otherwise great run fucked into the ground by a particularly ruinous combination of specific enemy types and level layout but that's the nature of the beast I suppose. Due to the generally repetitive and unending nature of these type of games I'll probably get bored with it sooner rather than later, but the fact it's got it's hooks into me at all is a point in it's favour as I'm not normally down for this sort of thing at all so if you're into these it's probably a good example of the genre.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 14:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

Bamba wrote:
Archero, a roguelike 'shooter' for Android (and iOS) built around the central conceit that your character fires whenever he's not moving. Each stage is a very short and randomly generated opportunity to either (a) murder a load of guys and earn XP towards one of a load of inventive and stacking weapon upgrades or (b) fuck it up and lose loads of health/die. There are permanent upgrades to also earn and multiple stages to progress through if you can survive through the 50 levels require to move on from one to another. It's free with microtransactions (of course) but I've been playing it for a wee while and happily ignored all that bullshit while still feeling like I'm getting a little bit further each time. Your guy auto-targets so literally the only control is a single joystick to move or stop with and so far I haven't felt like death was anything buy my own fault. Because it's randomly generated it does have that issue where you can have an otherwise great run fucked into the ground by a particularly ruinous combination of specific enemy types and level layout but that's the nature of the beast I suppose. Due to the generally repetitive and unending nature of these type of games I'll probably get bored with it sooner rather than later, but the fact it's got it's hooks into me at all is a point in it's favour as I'm not normally down for this sort of thing at all so if you're into these it's probably a good example of the genre.

I had a go on this after your review... and i've played it every day since. It's a great little game, tough but never unfair, and like you said you always get a little bit further each time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 15:45 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I had a go on this after your review... and i've played it every day since. It's a great little game, tough but never unfair, and like you said you always get a little bit further each time.

Sadly I ended up uninstalling it a couple of days ago. I'd got past the first 50 level stage with nice constant progression but the second level set just fucked me. I once got to 43 out of 50 and then never made it to those heady heights ever again. On one run I actually picked up an extra life--which I never saw before or since--and bought the resurrect for gems, and still only made it to level 37; that was pretty much the kicker for me. Don't get me wrong, I really loved it for the time it had my attention and still totally recommend it to anyone, but I did hit a point where I felt I wasn't actually progressing and that was it for me. I don't even think I'd seen everything it had to offer; for example, I never got enough item duplicates to find out what the 'fuse' mechanic even did.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 17:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

I have fused, I've got pets that fight for me, the third level is waves of enemies not single rooms. I'm still enjoying it :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 17:36 
Bad Girl

Quote:
So WWZ: not bad so far but might get repetitive after a while. We shall see.

Turns out that World War Z does get repetitive after a while. Just on level 2 (of 3 levels) of Chapter 3 (of 4 chapters) and I’m just wanting it to end. There’s no tricks, no unique set pieces, nothing you haven’t already seen in the first Chapter.

Essentially it’s a one trick pony.

And one that dishes out XP far too slow for upgraded weapons that aren’t worth the time it would take playing levels over and over and over to grind XP to unlock.

*yawn*

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 
Bad Girl

So like some kind of Retro game playing pleb I bust out the PS Vita last night.

I wanted to play Muramasa which I remember starting at some point and then being distracted and forgot about. Anyway, I turned on the PS Vita and got distracted and started playing Geo Wars 3. Fucking hell, man, that game was great and I hadn't finished the campaign so I spent a couple of hours blasting away at this level which was called Titan (or something) and was like Asteroids but in Geometry Wars! Amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 15:09 
Gogmagog

Horizon Chase Turbo

It is pretty good fun and I like the music

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 15:11 
INFINITE POWAH

I picked up Ghost Recon Wildlands in the PS store sale - fairly good fun for 8 quid.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 15:20 
UltraMod

Slay the Spire.

If you fancy the idea of a deck builder but are put off Hearthstone because Hearthly never shuts up about it, you don’t want a F2P structure and you’re happier single player than multiplayer then this is for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:08 
Paws for thought

Mr Chonks wrote:
Slay the Spire.

If you fancy the idea of a deck builder but are put off Hearthstone because Hearthly never shuts up about it, you don’t want a F2P structure and you’re happier single player than multiplayer then this is for you.

And its on the humble monthly. Having put it on my wishlist as he were playing it and it looked good, I was pleasantly surprised to find I already owned it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:10 
UltraMod

Sorry, I should’ve mentioned it. That’s how I got it too!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 13:58 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Aye Slay the Spire is excellent (especially as it's now on Gamepass).

...also playing Wreckfest on the Xbox as it's excellent (and I got it for tuppence when it was on Steam as 'Next Car Game').

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:23 
Gogmagog

Had a half hour go on Overcooked with MrsA.

Oh.
My.
Days.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:25 
Gogmagog

"THE ONIOn. tHE FUCKING ONION WHY IS THE FUCKING KITCHEN ON FIRE THE FUCKING ONION OH JESUS FUCKING WEPT JUST PRESS SQUARE CUNTING SQUARE FIRE FIRE FIRE THE ONION FUCK'S SAKE"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:30 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
"THE ONIOn. tHE FUCKING ONION WHY IS THE FUCKING KITCHEN ON FIRE THE FUCKING ONION OH JESUS FUCKING WEPT JUST PRESS SQUARE CUNTING SQUARE FIRE FIRE FIRE THE ONION FUCK'S SAKE"

Yep enjoy Overcooked

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:31 
Gogmagog

Mr Chonks wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Yep enjoy Overcooked

I was too scared to reply

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:38 

MaliA wrote:

Has Cooking Mama got a new gig?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 18:45 
Best
Board Mother

MaliA wrote:

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 21:20 
Decapodian

Just finished a Detroit Become Human.
Got the good ending, so I’m tempted to go back and retry a few stages aiming for something different.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 22:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Got the good ending, so I’m tempted to go back and retry a few stages aiming for something different.

There's a shit ton of endings, right? I got a 'goodish' ending. I know Grim...'s game diverged from mine really early on and there was a ton of stuff that went differently.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 22:14 
Decapodian

Cras wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

There's a shit ton of endings, right? I got a 'goodish' ending. I know Grim...'s game diverged from mine really early on and there was a ton of stuff that went differently.

Yep, having read a bit more there’s only really two “big” outcomes but several options for each of the main characters to get there, then even more variety when you add in the supporting characters.

I wasn’t 100% happy with some of my choices. I always find there’s a some dialogue options where the one word you pick doesn’t really reflect what you end. Up doing or saying.
I also made a bad decision at the Club when investigating the murder but it didn’t cause any long term problems.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:17 
Rude Belittler

I got a "mostly good" ending. I got Clancy Brown killed, which was a shame as he was my favourite character.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 14:23 
Sleepyhead

Are your actions timebound much (or at all) in Detroit:BH?

I played the tutorial investigation/negotiation and enjoyed it, but want to be able to play at my own pace and not have to rush places and make choices within X seconds or whatever. Does the game work like that or are you in a rush to get as many clues in an allotted time?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 14:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There are some "quick time" decisions, like "cross the road or hide behind the tree? Neither? Uh-oh, the bad person has caught you."

During the demo you may have been told you had to hurry up at various points, but I don't think it actually mattered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 16:14 
Decapodian

There’s a few sections where you have a set time limit to achieve something. Find all the clues, get to a bus, etc. They aren’t unduly tight though.

Some dialog choices give you unlimited time to decide, but others have a countdown where “do nothing” is another valid option and not necessarily a bad one.

There are also action sequences that require brisk response to win a fight etc.

On the whole it doesn’t try and rush you through.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 
Skillmeister

I bought all the dulluck for Two Point Osspickle, so and going through that and rediscovering my aversion to plastering walls in gold stars.

Also still chewing through King Dom's Cum Delivery Service. And Zelda.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:44 
Paws for thought

Slay the Spire: Cards be hard (still trying to figure out how not to be massively underpowered by the end of act 3)
Phoenix Wright 2: Lawyering be easy.
Dicey dungeons: Chance be whack.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:01 
Excellent Member

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap: I picked this up cheap on Android and started playing it this morning. It looks fucking lovely and I enjoy the exploration aspect of it but even by the standards of touch-screen controls these aren't brilliant so I suspect I'll hit a difficulty point that'll derail the whole enterprise sooner rather than later.
Sniper Elite 4: first of these I've played and I did most of the first level last night. It's fun but a lot jankier than I was expecting and the AI is dumb as fuck; not sure whether it'll hold my interest for the entirety but we'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The AI is pretty dumb but it sort of has to be - because snipers don't in fact assault fortified positions solo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:19 

I really enjoyed it. Although you do realise you can get away with pretty much anything once you've done a few levels. Once you clear an area you can just retreat back into it if it all gets a bit on top. I suppose you're meant to do it properly and pretend that you care if they see you etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:22 
Esoteric

The Last Of Us. Only I got a bit stuck. I'm on the bit in the restaurant with the guy who took Ellie prisoner and it seems you need to chuck things at him. Just one problem, I've not used that technique at all so far and thus I'm rather crap at it. Practice is needed it seems.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
I really enjoyed it. Although you do realise you can get away with pretty much anything once you've done a few levels. Once you clear an area you can just retreat back into it if it all gets a bit on top. I suppose you're meant to do it properly and pretend that you care if they see you etc.

I'm fairly sure you could rampage through the entire game in about an hour just machine gunning people to death. I only fall back on doing so when I fuck up and end up facing a hornet's nest of Nazis but it's incredibly effective to just sit in a particular position and just shoot people in the face whenever they venture into your cross hairs.

I'm also currently not entirely sure why some shots murder someone outright and other shots, that look as well lined up, just annoy people.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 
Skillmeister

Very fun in co-op.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:46 
Paws for thought

Dimrill wrote:
Very fun in co-op.

Depending on your buddy.

The one you played with were right shit at stealth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:51 
Skillmeister

But he bursted testicles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:38 
Esoteric

Figured it out. Got past that and played on for a bit.

BL3 coming today though. And SP Stick Of Truth so plenty to play :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 16:15 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Got Gears 5 through Gamepass. The single player is pretty good and seems better than 4...also dipped my toe into the Multiplayer with a blast of Escape and Team Deathmatch and enjoyed myself. Not sure what the shelf life of it will be but as it's a freebie* I'm pretty happy.

*Yes I know it's not technically free...stop being such a pedant.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 17:05 
Bad Girl

I’ve been playing it too.

1) It’s very, very pretty.
2) God, it’s boring.
3) 3-player co-op again. One of you has to play a shitty robot that doesn’t play like a normal character and is resigned to just picking up stuff or electrocuting enemies and what not. What a load of bollocks.
4) The robot is the next big idea for Gears 5, so every other scene you’ve got to point and have the robot “hack” something. It’s like fucking Destiny. (What’s the fucking deal with TV, films and video games and fucking hacking... it’s so boring and beyond a joke these days).
5) Unless you’re player 3 when you have to do it. (Or you’re Mr Robot in which case hacking is fine).
6) Play it on insane difficulty and it’s all one hit kills and you can’t get each other up. Play it on the difficulty below that and the recoil on the weapons is just fucking stupid. The hammerburst AR is suddenly pathetic at anything further than 5 yards and you’re shooting the fucking ceiling after 1 round. But bump the difficulty down and the recoil is nonexistent but neither is the challenge and you just piss through the game.
7) You know what a Gears game needs? More downtime. Riding around on a vehicle with no enemies about? Yup. And god forbid if you and your coop pal split up on the open section...you can’t get on the vehicle and pick up your mate because it won’t let you move the vehicle until you’re both on it.

But at least it’s not like Gears 4 where you were fighting boring as fuck robots every 5 minutes. Oh wait! Now there robots that you have to stealth kill! Yay?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 13:54 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

….so, not a fan then?

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next