Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 13:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Wasn’t he in a pretty epic smash a few years ago? Or am I confusing him with another comedian?

You're probably thinking of Rik Mayall.

Paul Walker

Ryan Dunn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 13:39 

Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
Wasn’t he in a pretty epic smash a few years ago? Or am I confusing him with another comedian?

Paul Walker

Ryan Dunn.

Princess Di.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 23:05 
Bad Girl

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is dreadful. In fact, all of these nuSkool ones have been pretty much abominations apart from the Future Past one. This is rather brisk 1 hr 52 mins long yet it feels like a 3 hour film. It’s just a bit crap apart from the train set piece which is alright (although it’s got some piss poor CG in parts). Weirdly the train ride was part of a load of reshoots so lord knows what dogshit they had the first go around. And the dialogue...urgh... “emotions make you weak” “no, emotions make me strong” clichéd bollocks. Nope, load of crap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 0:10 
Hibernating Druid

markg wrote:
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

Paul Walker

Ryan Dunn.

Princess Di.

Marc Bolan.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 22:26 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojo_Rabbit

Quote:
During the Second World War, lonely German boy Jojo "Rabbit" Betzler (Roman Griffin Davis) has his worldview turned upside down when he discovers that his single mother Rosie (Scarlett Johansson) is hiding a young Jewish girl (Thomasin McKenzie) in their attic. Aided only by his imaginary friend in the form of an idiotic version of Adolf Hitler (Taika Waititi), Jojo must confront his blind nationalism.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 23:26 
Bad Girl

Not even gonna lie, The Secret Life of Pets 2 was fucking awesome. Funny AF. The first SLoP was alright but this was next level. It’s a tightly packed 1 hr and 26 minutes old-school cartoon about nothing in particular but it has genuine fun doing it. And has fucking Harrison Ford in it for gods sake. I wonder why he doesn’t do more VO work...He sounded great.

Top 5 films of the year currently looks like this:

1. John Wick 3
2. The Avengers: End Game
3. The Secret Life of Pets 2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Poor Captain Marvel.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:30 
Comfortably Dumb

Satsuma wrote:
Top 5 films of the year currently looks like this:

1. John Wick 3
2. The Avengers: End Game
3. The Secret Life of Pets 2

The only film I've seen this year is Hobbs & Shaw, so by default it's the best film I've seen this year and yet also the worst I've seen in recent years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:54 
Rude Belittler

Fun Fact: Secret Life of Pets 2 had the guy from The Oatmeal working on it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:04 
Bad Girl

Really interesting Corridor video about the stunts in Captain America: Civil War & Black Panther.

The magic carpet stuff is amazing (TLDW: essentially they’re running on a long carpet that’s being pulled along by a car to give the impression that the superheroes are running hyper fast). As is the motorbike yank. It’s all practical stunts which you’d swear was CGI!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 13:02 
Rude Belittler

That was actually interesting! I just kind of assumed everything was CGI, rather than real stunts with the CG being set dressing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 16:04 
Sitting balls-back folder

At what speed did they take off?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Went to see IT chapter 2 last night. Was a long film, but the pace was set well, that I did not notice.

The jump scares were on point and at one point i screamed like a little girl. The effects were great and a good finish to the film.

Pennywise was just awesome, and seemed to be involved a lot more than I remember from the previous IT film (with John Boy in)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
It's also gratuitously violent, that I found both numbing and discomfiting in equal measures.

Giphy "nathan fillion":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/d5djaxQ4lspOg/giphy-loop.mp4

Gratuitous violence and explicit violence are not the same thing.

Worst film I've seen this year, by quite some margin.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:52 
INFINITE POWAH

I watched John Wick 3 last night.

So, as Sat or Pundy (one of the two. I've always assumed they're the same person) hated this I thought it might be good.

It wasn't.

There was no discernible plot, the two main baddies were just awful actors and the action was pretty shit. Well, it was great, to start with, but every single action sequence went on for about 3 or 4 times as long as it should have done, rendering them all repetitive dull-fests.

And, unforgivably, they then set up for JW4 at the end. PLEASE JUST PUT HIM AND HIS DOG DOWN.

EDIT - it was Hearthly. They're like triplets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

They set up JW4 at the end of It 2?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:53 
Bad Girl

Complaining about the plot of a John Wick movie is like pissing in the wind and complaining your feet are wet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:24 
Rude Belittler

Fuck you, MrChris. I haven't even seen John Wick 3. I mean, I'll probably hate it...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:27 
SavyGamer

I dunno, I felt that the world building and rules were great in the first one, but then as the second one started to expand on the narrative it started to kinda creak at the seams (Wait how does the economy of coins work? Wait how does this world totally full of assassins function? Wait how does this organisation even really operate?). There were lots of unanswered questions and details left deliberately ambiguous in the first one, and as they have expanded on the story and the world, it doesn't quite hold up as well as the others. The story isn't the main reason to watch these films, and the action has remained extremely enjoyable, but yeah I think the story stuff has dipped in quality.

At least it's still somewhat self aware, the moment early on in 3 when mostly unprompted he just pulls a photo of his dead wife out of his pocket, feels sad for a bit, then just carries on, was kinda funny.

I don't really understand the Lovejoy arc from the third one.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Lovejoy protected John back when he was supposed to kill him, so that he could go through a major ordeal with the high table etc, and then ultimately just killed (or at least attempted to kill) him anyway. What did he gain from not just killing him on the spot back during the second film?

I'll watch John Wick 4, but I'll do so expecting the writing and character stuff to be perfunctory at best, and just enjoy the action.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:27 
Rude Belittler

In fact the only film I've slagged in here (recently) was Slaughterhouse Rulez, which totally deserved it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:42 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
They set up JW4 at the end of It 2?

I accidentally deleted an important sentence there as I was too busy being rude about sat and pundy. :) I’ve put it back in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 14:23 
Hello Hello Hello

None of the JW films are great, from memory I gave JW1 7.5/10 and JW2 7/10.

1 is definitely the best as it has a simple hook and story, but at least one that makes sense and gives us a protagonist with a motivation, along with introducing a shadowy and interesting world of assassins.

2 started to lose the plot a bit but held together in the main, and the action was solid.

3 is just a stupid garbage fire, genuinely awful stuff, with a nasty streak that wasn't present in the previous two entries. I really didn't like it, at all. Genuinely bad film, and I'm pretty tolerant in the main.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night's film was CANNIBALS AND CARPET FITTERS.

I was in the mood for a bit of silly fun as it was a bonus Friday night (off work today), and whilst I am currently working my way through THE EXPANSE (which is fab), I fancied a change of pace.

Looking through the recently added films on Amazon Prime, I saw this in the list and figured it sounds pretty silly, and only 82 minutes long, so I gave it a go, and......

It's great!

Exactly what you'd expect from a knowing genre piece, sets up the scenario nice and early when a couple out camping wander too close to an old stately house in the middle of nowhere and find themselves on the menu.

The cannibals are a family headed up by Mrs Hanning, and consists of her and her five sons, there is no sign of Mr Hanning and it is not really explained why they own a massive stately home in the country, although it is made clear they've lived there for generations, and they're always trying to come up with wheezes to secure fresh people to eat. (Mrs Hanning has to do all the spadework in this regard as none of her sons can speak, and they communicate only in grunts, growls, roars and so on.)

Enter our CARPET FITTERS, sent to the property with the promise of a lucrative carpet fitting contract, and eagerly despatched there by the the owner of the company who is desperate for a big paying job, but it doesn't take long for the cannibalistic family to make their intentions clear, and thus begins a fight for survival and escape.

This is a fun, gory, well paced romp that knows exactly what it is, what it wants to do, and how it wants to do it. The directing, writing, acting, editing and special effects are all fine, it clearly wasn't made with mega bucks but doesn't look cheap and nasty either, and whilst it won't be troubling the Oscars, you really get a sense that everyone involved was having a lot of fun with it.

The gore is well done (almost all practical effects as far as I could tell) and will make you squirm, but in a nice genre piece sort of way, and it's got a few genuine LOL moments in it as well, with some great lines.

It's a Cert 18 which seems reasonable considering the gore but it's such a silly affair that I don't think it'd be the end of the world if it were a Cert 15.

Perfect Friday night gross out fun, I'm being a bit generous here but I'd say it's at least 250% better than John Wick 3, as such the mark will have to be:

812.5/1000

Attachment:
cannos.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 22:40 
Bad Girl

IT: Chapter 2

No sir, I don’t like it.

Summary:
1) Not scary
2) Too. Fucking. Long.
3) Some shit about Indians.
4) Some shit about aliens.
5) Self-indulgent. IT: Chapter 1 was pretty good but it abso-fucking-lutely has not earned a 3+ hour sequel.
6) I seriously dislike calling a film sequel based on a book “chapter 2” ... especially when it’s the concluding part.
7) Some of the horror sequences just made me laugh at how stupid they were. Loads of people in the cinema were laughing as well. There’s one sequence with a guy with a tongue and it’s fucking ludicrous.
8) Tonally it is all over the shop. Is it a comedy now?
9) Bill Hader is great but the film just ends up being a vehicle for Bill to be funny. We know he’s fantastic at drama too but he doesn’t get the chance to stretch his drama legs here...which is amazing because the sodding film goes on too long they could have given up some of the run time for some decent performances.
10) The story is a bag of shit. Seriously, what’s it about and does anyone give a shit. No, really? Why should I care? I certainly didn’t care when anyone died.

3/10
All Filler; No Killer.

11) Oh the gay bashing scene at the top of the film: horrific. And no one gets their comeuppance after straight up murdering a guy yards from a packed fair. It’s never mentioned again...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 23:41 
Bad Girl

And why is The Shining getting a sequel!? Weirdest trailer I’d seen before the main film.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 0:06 
Skillmeister

Satsuma wrote:
And why is The Shining getting a sequel!? Weirdest trailer I’d seen before the main film.

Inevitability after he wrut the book a few years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:01 
Can you dig it?

John Wick 3 (watched on an aeroplane):

It was OK I guess but as mentioned earlier, it seems less like a shadowy underworld when everyone is an assassin with kick ass skills.

The library fight was fun, and the bit with the horses, and the doggies was kinda neat but some of it dragged on a touch. I also squirmed a bit due to some of the nastiness. I really don't like the following, in any film really:

eye stabbing, hand stabbing and fingers being chopped off

Probably worth a watch but seriously diminishing returns in this series.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:57 
UltraMod

Fantastic, really looking forward to IT 2 now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:39 

Mr Chonks wrote:

I enjoyed it..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:39 
Hibernating Druid

I watched Bladerunner 2049 this weekend.

Glad it was a slow burning long film as it was all a treat for the eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:46 
UltraMod

KovacsC wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

I enjoyed it..

Oh dear, now I don’t know what to think

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Sir Taxalot wrote:
John Wick 3 (watched on an aeroplane):

It was OK I guess but as mentioned earlier, it seems less like a shadowy underworld when everyone is an assassin with kick ass skills.

The library fight was fun, and the bit with the horses, and the doggies was kinda neat but some of it dragged on a touch. I also squirmed a bit due to some of the nastiness. I really don't like the following, in any film really:

eye stabbing, hand stabbing and fingers being chopped off

Probably worth a watch but seriously diminishing returns in this series.

The correct number of John Wick films is one. Same as The Matrix.

If I were recommending the franchise to anyone, I'd tell them to watch the first one and leave the rest. Same as The Matrix.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:59 

Mr Chonks wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

I enjoyed it..

A barmy idea, you could watch and make your own mind up :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:21 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

KovacsC wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

I enjoyed it..

Sorry... Are you new here? That's not how things work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:22 

TheVision wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

I enjoyed it..

Sorry... Are you new here? That's not how things work.

Should i be arguing my point?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:53 
Bad Girl

Dimrill wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Inevitability after he wrut the book a few years ago.

Didn’t realise. Don’t want.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:55 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Sleep is a really good book. I have hopes, and they're not low.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:40 
Prince of Fops

For the last few weeks I've had the pleasure of introducing the kids to the Back to the Future Trilogy.

Such an experience is almost worth the price of admission of having kids.

Totally magical. The music, such a richly realised time (arf) and place. Was so much fun watching the realisation break across Mini Fop's face as she saw yet another call back or artefact from the 50s/80s, especially in Part II.

I'd also forgotten how tense Clock Tower scene was. That's was an entirely new level of suspense for the kids.

I refuse to put spoiler tags around the following, as it feels unnecessary, so should you have somehow not yet watched BTTF, spoilers follow:

There's much more swearing in it than I recalled, and obviously the assault on Marty's mum in the car, and the spousal abuse in Part II, were very unsettling, but kids seemed much less fazed than we were.

And of course the third one is by far the weakest. But fuck me, I'd forgotten just how bad that bit is where Doc just wafts off on the hoverboard.

And they really should have left Doc in the past, rather than sticking him on a fucking time train. It was quite poignant Marty arriving back in 1985, realising that Doc had already lived his life and would no longer be part of his. It felt like the level of gravitas the trilogy deserved. Maybe Doc could have delivered another letter to him, telling him how happy his life had been and the family he'd had.

But no, they had to wheel him back out in a flying train.

So, in summary.

The first two remain deeply magical (though I've concluded that, as clever as the second one is, it's the first that remains the best), and I'm very glad to have watched them again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 
Unpossible!

How old are your sprogs, Mr Fundus?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:21 
Prince of Fops

Nearly 8 and 3.

Will freely admit that the three year old didn't have the faintest idea what was going on, but was more than happy with the spectacle (Delorean, .

The elder needed a few bits explaining, but she got it. She loved seeing Hill Valley across the ages - I think there was something bewitching to her about seeing this place change, things being the same but different.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 13:26 
Hello Hello Hello

Plus it's a great way to introduce the subject of incest in a family-friendly fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 14:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's a lot wrong with BTTF when you start to unpack it.

But Lea Thompson was pretty much my first ever celebrity crush, so that's okay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 14:47 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
There's a lot wrong with BTTF when you start to unpack it y.

Giphy "nope":
https://media2.giphy.com/media/eMCVSw9v28iRARFFAt/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Why did you add a y?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:18 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Why did you add a y?

I didn't.
It was in the original quote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nuh-uh. Not according to the logs, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:25 
Hibernating Druid

Giphy "man behind the curtain":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/CqF32cybVNOJG/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:28 
INFINITE POWAH

No, in the post I was quoting. I deleted everything except the final y

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Technically.
Correct.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 15:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Ah, got you. I thought someone might have fixed mine.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 422  Next