Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's Everyone Playing?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:01 
Comfortably Dumb

DiRT Rally - The difficulty of the game probably means I'll never win even a single stage, so at the moment it's a simulation of what it would be like to be an average driver and finishing mid-table all the time. :)
Rocket League - venturing into a few online casual matches, but with chat turned off.. I don't need my own mistakes pointing out to me
Sega Heroes - getting rather grindy now, but it's still keeping me occupied

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I am also replaying Borderlands 2, it really is a jolly fun game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Recently started Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which may have been a mistake. I adored the previous game, Origins, but that was relatively recently and I spent a long time on it. Odyssey is basically more of the same but much, much longer by all accounts and I think I'm feeling fatigue for it despite only being a handful of hours in. It's not helped by the fact that I'm not liking the main character as much as Bayek, the story is a bit odd so far and I've got a horrible feeling they're going to make me do a lot more of the awful fucking ship combat this time around. I've barely scratched the surface of it so I'll keep going--and the basic stealthy infiltration gameplay loop is still great fun--but I'm really hoping it starts to grab me properly soon as it would be a shame to give up on it.

Ship combat is why I ditched Black Flag within the first couple of hours.

Yeah, the whole pirate theme of that one didn't appeal to me in the slightest. In Origins the ship combat was very minimal and literally only in a couple of set story missions so you just did what needed to be done and that was that. In Odyssey though you're given your own ship right at the start of the game which can then be upgraded and used at any point so I've got a horrible feeling it's going to play a much bigger part. It's just so fucking boring; flail around the place in this big stupid thing waiting for attack moves to cool down while hitting a block button now and again. Fucking ugh.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 14:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
I am also replaying Borderlands 2, it really is a jolly fun game.

It's more fun with Wookie, Me and Nase.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 14:38 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I imagine it is, yes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 18:00 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Do this. There's nothing more satisfying than hearing grim... Complain about his lack of health right before you step on a health needle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Virtua Racing on the Switch. It's excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:07 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:

Ooh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mr Chonks wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Ooh

£5.99. Available now!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:51 
Bad Girl

I’m playing Katana Zero on the Switch because all the chat on here about how brilliant it was.

And My Friend Pedro also on Switch because breakdancing banana dual welding sub machine guns.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:52 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Satsuma wrote:

And My Friend Pedro also on Switch because breakdancing banana dual welding sub machine guns.

Is it any good? I'm intrigued

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 20:22 
Bad Girl

I’ve only been dabbling but first impressions are strong. I think I’m going to seriously play Katana Zero first though - the soundtrack has really pumped me up to murder some goons.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 15:10 
Hibernating Druid

I have now traded in Resident Evil 2 & Super Hot for:

Skyrim VR
Nioh
Battlezone VR - panic bought as I had £3 credit and it was £6

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 18:45 
Rude Belittler

*sigh* Destiny 2.

Yes, I know... But I still fucking love the shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 19:01 
UltraMod

Pundabaya wrote:
*sigh* Destiny 2.

Yes, I know... But I still fucking love the shooting.

Really? The first was dogshit compared to Halo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:43 
Skillmeister

This wek: Regions of Ruin. Amazing little RPG/Town Builder/Explorathon. And I notice it's only One Pounds And Pence in the sale at the mo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:47 
Skillmeister

I hav bort Foundation. So far it's a lovely mix of Settlers 1 and Banished.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

Detroit: Become Human.
I'm enjoying it, despite the atrocious controls, I have no idea why Cage is utterly fucking obsessed with doing fucking housework in a game though.
The scrapyard chapter was creepy as fuck.

Sonic Mania.
While I waited for the above to download, I played a bit of this. That was a trip... Ooh, Green Hill Zone Act 1! I know this level like the back of my hand! Wait... what... I don't remember that bit... WTF is going on? Now I'm doing some sort of mario kart shit? What?

AFk Arena.
Now Hustle Castle have shit the bed on their latest update and everyone I know in the game has quit, i've moved onto this as my commute gacha game. It's alright, it keeps me occupied for 15 minutes a day, which is what i'm after at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:15 
Comfortably Dumb

Aside from the usual stuff of Rocket League and Sega Heroes (I've unlocked all the game modes now and there's certainly a lot to do each day and there's not been any need to spend any money, so I'll stick with this for a while), I've been playing other games purely to test systems and controllers out -

Burnin Rubber (GX4000). Awful stuff. Might buy one of these though and have the entire library of 26(!) games.
Hang-On (Master System). Decent little game to have built-in, but does get repetitive quickly
Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast). Still lots of fun and much better having the original soundtrack.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:32 

Had a few weeks off gaming while I went on holiday and stuff, but when I came back I finally completed Subnautica [PC]. Not much to add beyond what I’ve written before, but to recap: it’s a wonderful game that got right under my skin, but I think it benefits from a few quality-of-life UX mods as otherwise I found the interface (particularly inventory management) became cluttered and fiddly in the lategame.

I picked up My Friend Pedro [Switch] but haven’t played more than the first thirty minutes yet. After completing Katana Zero, the controls for My Friend Pedro feel really clumsy -- they’re broadly similar at first glance, but both the button mappings and how you deploy your abilities are quite different. This is breaking my brain. I need to lose my muscle memory for Katana Zero first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 
Paws for thought

For the most part, I've not had much time for gaming. But I did, against my better judgement, buy Mario maker 2.

Did Mario always control this poorly? I don't remember that in the past.

Of course, this isn't helped by everyone and their dog deciding that the thing they most need to create is a sodding slippy slidey ice world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 
Excellent Member

Mr Dave wrote:
Did Mario always control this poorly? I don't remember that in the past.

Mario 3 was pretty awful certainly, I remember being amazed at how popular it was given that Mario World was so much better in that regard.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 17:06 
Bad Girl

Finally got round to properly staring Devil May Cry 5. It took ages for me to get interested in playing it after starting it and then playing a couple of Switch games instead, for some reason.

The sound design is great for my new soundbar. Proper bassy and designed to piss off my neighbours. But there’s some cool shit like the music in the van/shop which becomes all muffled as you transition outside and slowly fades out as you move away.

The first proper boss properly mangled me a fair few times before I eventually discovered health items hidden about the arena. It’s cool as well, because the fight is multi-tiered: it starts on top of a church then through the roof and into the church before the walls come down and it’s a fight outside on the streets. There’s some decent environmental stuff going on as well as roofs collapse, the boss rips out stone pillars to bash into your face and the ground deforms as he jump slams into the floor.

The graphics look super as well. The RE Engine seems pretty awesome if it’s pumping out this and the Resi games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 18:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Yakuza Zero for me, that's some batshit insane Japanese wonderment, right there.

It feels so fresh and vibrant when compared to all the play by numbers Western stuff.

Also, lots of talking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 22:55 
Rude Belittler

Detroit: Become Human is actually quite enjoyable. I'm surprised!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 
Esoteric

Finished the BL2 DLC that leads it into BL3. Was good, a solid three hours of fun with some very tough battles :)

Now I'm back on FO3. Last night I did Tenpenny, siding with the ghouls so I could get the ghoul mask. At least later I won't have to deal with the Reavers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 
Hibernating Druid

Hearthly wrote:
Yakuza Zero for me, that's some batshit insane Japanese wonderment, right there.

It feels so fresh and vibrant when compared to all the play by numbers Western stuff.

Also, lots of talking.

A workmate pushed this on me and I'm glad he did, I love that game.

Nioh 'Gaiden Souls'. I dig it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I'm mostly playing 'With the Dog.'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 13:27 
Prince of Fops

Warhead wrote:
I'm mostly playing 'With the Dog.'

How's the DLC?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:14 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I have to keep cleaning up after it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 23:45 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
Finally got round to properly staring Devil May Cry 5. It took ages for me to get interested in playing it after starting it and then playing a couple of Switch games instead, for some reason.

The sound design is great for my new soundbar. Proper bassy and designed to piss off my neighbours. But there’s some cool shit like the music in the van/shop which becomes all muffled as you transition outside and slowly fades out as you move away.

The first proper boss properly mangled me a fair few times before I eventually discovered health items hidden about the arena. It’s cool as well, because the fight is multi-tiered: it starts on top of a church then through the roof and into the church before the walls come down and it’s a fight outside on the streets. There’s some decent environmental stuff going on as well as roofs collapse, the boss rips out stone pillars to bash into your face and the ground deforms as he jump slams into the floor.

The graphics look super as well. The RE Engine seems pretty awesome if it’s pumping out this and the Resi games.

Getting real good this.

The second playable character, V, is different. Essentially you’ve got 2/3 beasts that you control concurrently that do your attacking because V is a big pussy. But because V is a self centred prick he won’t let them they finish an enemy so he has to jump in at the last minute. He’s fun to play and essentially DmC’s easy mode.

Nero from DmC4 is the main guy and since he’s only got one arm he’s got multiple fist attachments that range from whip, flying fist, big fist, shocking fist, blah blah blah essentially there’s about 10 different fists. His combos are as complex as you want to make it. And it gets complex cause you’ve got about twenty fucking buttons to press: sword, fist, gun, whip thing, jump, rev up your sword cause it’s got a handle like a motorbike, exploding fists and lock on and you’ve got to do them all at the same time.

Then you get control of Dante about 1/2 way through the game (for some reason). He’s basically the guy you control when you’ve grown enough arms that you’re legally a octopus. You’ve got two attacks - melee weapons and guns. You can hold 4 melee weapons and 4 guns which you cycle with the L2/R2 buttons. 8 fecking weapons. One melee weapon is a motorbike. A motorbike you swing around like a sword. A motorbike you swing into people’s faces and then spin the tyres in their grill. It’s great. Anyway, cycle between all the weapons often because you’ve got to get your rank up when you fight folks: D to SSS. Keep spamming the same weapon and moves and you’ll never get that S rank, you loser. But wait, you’ll also be wanting to turn into a demon every now and again to power up your moves. You can activate that with R1. But you don’t just want to swing your weapons like an amateur! No, you’ll need to vary your style. So here’s 4 styles of fighting activated on the D-pad directions. You’ll get a special move on the circle button for your trouble. Sword fighter - new sword moves; gunslinger - gun moves; Trickster - dodge real good; Royal Guard - something to do with countering. So make sure you swing that motorbike and then spin the tyres in a guy’s face, launch him, jump, smack him about, switch to gunslinger, land, swing your shotgun about like marching band twirling sticks, switch to a normal sword, dash at some other guy, poke him, switch to Royal Guard, get hit, wonder what Royal Guard actually does, switch to a rocket launcher, blast a guy in the grill. Etc.

Basically, Devil May Cry 5 is as complex as you want to make it. It’s easily the most accessible and interesting combat of all the games. If you want to get those S ranks you can finger your joypad like an too-eager 16 year old in the back of a Nissan Micra or you can just stick with what works for you and repeat until you finish the game. But it wants you to go nuts with all the stuff you’re given; play around and just experiment with what you’ve got. I really like it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 15:38 
Bad Girl

I’ve played a bit of Dr Mario on iOS. It’s alright but, man alive, is it boring doing the beginner levels and there’s no option to skip to later levels or even do an infinite session. It’s frankly, all a bit dull. You get 60 mins “free play” and then you have to wait for hearts or something and buy extra ones, I’m not sure, I couldn’t stomach an hour of the tedium. It just looks like Candy Crush but with Mario in it. I can’t be arsed. Deleted.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:47 
Hello Hello Hello

I tried to play Yakuza Zero last night but just couldn't get into it, we'd had a very long (but very enjoyable!) day at the Mann Kind Festival and my brain just wasn't in the mood to try and follow really long winded chatty cut scenes spouting exposition at me.

So I played through Golden Axe in MAME instead, fuck knows how many credits it cost me, but it was quite a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 13:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Golden Axe is a bad, bad game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 13:21 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
Golden Axe is a bad, bad game.

I think it still holds up well. The only letdown for me is the enemy AI is rather suspect around ledges making it easy to get them to fall to their death.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:09 
Esoteric

Not as bad as altered beast!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:16 
UltraMod

All side scrolling beat ‘em ups are shit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mr Chonks wrote:
All side scrolling beat ‘em ups are shit.

Wrong!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:20 
UltraMod

That didn’t take long

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

My wrongness alarm went off.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 14:49 
Esoteric

Haha I totally disagree also. Streets Of Rage II and Final Fight were awesome. Oh and Dynamite Ducks? Or was it Dux? And The Simpsons and etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 16:23 
ugvm'er at heart...

I've been playing world of tanks this weekend, it's pretty good fun. No idea why I haven't tried it before.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 16:28 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:
My wrongness alarm went off.

I just find them button-bashing boreathons. We played Turtles four player in Nottingham last year and it was equal parts baffling and mind-numbing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 16:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chonks wrote:
it was equal parts baffling and mind-numbing.

Yea verily Sir, such be the title of thine carnal recording.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:37 
Hibernating Druid

Man, I'm loving Nioh. It's toughness is very Dark Souls* and feels very rewarding when progress is made. The 3rd Boss (Vampire lady) was a big difficulty spike, she fast! So a quick bump and level grind in that general area was required. Got to the 4th Boss in no time and almost nailed it 2nd attempt so don't think it'll be much of a challenge. A well spent £12 so far.

*Dark Souls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:20 
Excellent Member

Subnautica, which I'm finding most excellent. It plays to the phobia of being under the sea, which I believe is called 'common sense', and featur OH GOD ARGH WHAT IN THE UNTER-HEAVENS COULD MAKE SUCH A NOI-EEP IT'S COMING RIGHT FOR ME ARRRGHBLURGLEBLURGLEGLUMPF.

I've just made a tiny base for myself with nowt but some Ikea cabinets and a Star Trek Replicator which refuses to give me tea, Earl Grey, hot, and am looking downward to go swimming in the lovely peaceful kelpy fronds of the dark forest. I only hope no big toothy fish tries to ram its way through my walls. (Oh no, not the kelp harvest!)

All in all great fun now that I've learnt I can pacify the angry Stalker sharks by offering them fish from my hand leading to a 'live and let live' existence revolving around a fish-and-working-limbs based economy. Next stop, my first dinky submarine. I'd quite like that. Yes.

Pod Seven are jerks.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:49 
Hibernating Druid

Zardoz wrote:
Nioh... Got to the 4th Boss in no time and almost nailed it 2nd attempt so don't think it'll be much of a challenge.

He was a challenge! But now he's done AND THE NEXT 2 BOSSES. AND THREE SUB-MISSIONS.

Glorious combat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 22:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Blazing Chrome. It's brilliant!

Why did no one tell me?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 22:22 
Skillmeister

Splitting my time between Don't Feed The Monkeys and Zelda.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 21:56 
Bad Girl

Finally got around to playing World War Z with my homie.

I kinda like it but we’re struggling to find the right difficulty for coop. Normal seems too easy and hard is a little frustrating for 2 peeps. Anything above that is eye melting.

We’ve done the first episode now. Level 1 & 3 were good but 2 suffered from too much filler - buttons and switches to press and this tedious section finding a key to open a switch to reduce the gas that we had to repeat a fair few times on hard. Plus it looks like its mainstay is go to an arena and defend against hordes of enemies. There’s about 16 levels I think so that might get old since you probably do it two or three times each level.

But the horde mechanics are impressive and look fucking great in action. The equivalent of L4Ds “director” is decent as well as it varies positions of the L4D monster variants, ammo location, weapon crates and stuff. Makes each run a bit different.

There’s a levelling up system for each weapon, each class and all the usual guff. There’s a bunch of MTX crap in there an’ all. And probably because of that it kinda makes levelling up individual weapons and classes and shit a real grind. It’s reet fucking slow to dish out the good stuff but you can still find weapons above and beyond what you start with to muck around with. Some of the weapon sounds sound a bit put-put-put when they should be blam-KBLAM-blam. Mind you the zombie physics are great though as they react to explosions and blowing their fucking arms and legs off. Shotguns are great mind as they can swipe off a pair of zombie legs faster than left swiping an ugo.

So WWZ: not bad so far but might get repetitive after a while. We shall see.

Reply to topic  [ 1013 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next