Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 21:21 
Hello Hello Hello

So you get a rucksack, a gaming mouse, and a headset as well.

I guess it's supposed to to be the ULTIMATE MOBILE GAMING POWERHOUSE.

Unlike most laptops there was basically no shit installed, McAfee was the only really offensive thing that needed stripping off.

MEGA UPDATES required of course, including a BIOS update which it did through Windows Update and then flashed the BIOS on a reboot, which is clever. It also updated fucktons of drivers and all sorts, on top of the standard Windows stuff, but in fairness it did it all without a hitch and quickly too, thanks to the NVMe SSD.

There's no getting away from the fact that the fans are LOUD when it's working hard, but then it does have a hex-core Intel CPU with hyper-threading and an RTX2070 in there. However, when it's not playing a game, there isn't really any fan noise.

On top of that, using the ASUS software and switching it to 'SILENT' mode does exactly that (it clocks the CPU down to about 0.9GHz and only uses the integrated Intel graphics), so if you want quiet that's easy to achieve, and will help on battery life too.

Certainly a very nice piece of kit, but then it should be for the money. I'll have a little mess about with gaming once a few things have installed, I've never seen a 144Hz screen in action before.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 21:26 
Bad Girl

Pffft, you ain’t no expert, you forgot about opening the NAT.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 0:44 
Can you dig it?

Gosh, that mouse is colourful.

How big is the power brick?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:50 
Hello Hello Hello

You can just about see the power brick when I pan the camera down to show the headset. It's reasonably chunky as it's rated to deliver 235W, but it's tucked out of the way so it's not a problem.

The mouse calmed down somewhat after the laptop downloaded a firmware and software update for it, and following a reboot it was in a much more calm RGB sort of 'breathing' mode. I've not had a proper play around with the software to control all the RGB stuff yet. I changed the keyboard to a static cyan colour but Mrs Hearthly objected and said she preferred the default rainbow mode so I put it back to that.

I got a couple of games fired up and I have to say I've become something of an instant convert to 144Hz gaming.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:02 
Unpossible!

Giphy "shocked":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/jquDWJfPUMCiI/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:18 

Hearthly wrote:
So you get a rucksack, a gaming mouse, and a headset as well.

I guess it's supposed to to be the ULTIMATE MOBILE GAMING POWERHOUSE.

Unlike most laptops there was basically no shit installed, McAfee was the only really offensive thing that needed stripping off.

MEGA UPDATES required of course, including a BIOS update which it did through Windows Update and then flashed the BIOS on a reboot, which is clever. It also updated fucktons of drivers and all sorts, on top of the standard Windows stuff, but in fairness it did it all without a hitch and quickly too, thanks to the NVMe SSD.

There's no getting away from the fact that the fans are LOUD when it's working hard, but then it does have a hex-core Intel CPU with hyper-threading and an RTX2070 in there. However, when it's not playing a game, there isn't really any fan noise.

On top of that, using the ASUS software and switching it to 'SILENT' mode does exactly that (it clocks the CPU down to about 0.9GHz and only uses the integrated Intel graphics), so if you want quiet that's easy to achieve, and will help on battery life too.

Certainly a very nice piece of kit, but then it should be for the money. I'll have a little mess about with gaming once a few things have installed, I've never seen a 144Hz screen in action before.

Is that you in the video, Hearthly?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:28 
Hello Hello Hello

It is indeed. I have a face for radio and a voice for print.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:46 
Esoteric

For games like Doom high refresh is awesome.

In other games less so. It's especially awesome when you are hitting very high minimums.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:00 

Hearthly wrote:

Not at all. I have a awful memory, so excuse me if I’ve said this before, but you are very easy to listen to and engaging, vocally. I’m very hesitant speaking aloud, but you seem very at ease and confident. You come across very well!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 
Unpossible!

Mimi wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Not at all. I have a awful memory, so excuse me if I’ve said this before, but you are very easy to listen to and engaging, vocally. I’m very hesitant speaking aloud, but you seem very at ease and confident. You come across very well!

He's (and I mean this with all due respect and affection) a gobshite ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 

DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

He's (and I mean this with all due respect and affection) a gobshite ;)

Haha, fair enough. Is it like my Nan who uses to put on her best speaking voice to answer the phone?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:55 
Esoteric

Posh Manc is how I would describe him. Which is miles better than someone calling me a cockney, given I'm from South London.

That's if there is such thing as a posh Manc of course :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:04 
Unpossible!

JohnCoffey wrote:
Posh Manc is how I would describe him. Which is miles better than someone calling me a cockney, given I'm from South London.

That's if there is such thing as a posh Manc of course :D

Isn't that when you waste a condom?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:56 
Hello Hello Hello

Mimi wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Thank you Mimi that's very kind of you to say :)

I'm pretty comfortable talking on video as I've done hundreds of YouTube videos over the years, I do put on a slightly less common Manc voice unless it's one of my online slots videos where I'm pissed up and getting annoyed with losing my money at which point the old vernacular comes out.

I made a video about the dashcam a few days ago, Unlisted just for a Manx gaming WhatsApp group I'm on, the video was 2m50s long and one of my chums offered the generous reply that 'The best bit is at 2m51s'.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:31 
Hello Hello Hello

So long story short, I've requested an RMA for the laptop from Ebuyer. Here's the note I put on the RMA.

It's a shame 'cause in all other regards it's a fantastic bit of kit, but since one of its jobs is video making, the fucking audio needs to work properly.

I'm sold on 144Hz refresh screens though, and 144Hz gaming, to the extent that I might need to rethink my main PC setup.

----------------------------------

Right speaker randomly stops working, only powering the laptop down completely and turning it back on fixes it (for a bit).

Impossible to get a decent headset mic recording level - (far too low) - with the supplied headset or any other headset that uses the combi 3.5mm jack. (I have tried three different headsets and they all fail to work properly on this laptop, but work properly on a different laptop I have.)

The internal mic suffers from the same problem.

Near constant electrical 'buzzing' noise from inside the chassis, it's not fan noise.

I have applied all updated drivers and other updates (including BIOS and all Windows updates) to the laptop, tried loads of different drivers, tried stuff recommended over at the Asus forums (there's a thread about it there), the problems persist.

I have spent over six hours of my free time trying to get the sound working properly on a £2000 laptop, there are clearly some horrible issues with the Realtek drivers and/or a hardware problem, which I am not prepared to waste any more time on, I spent as much as I did precisely to try and avoid this sort of carry-on.

If you could arrange a refund please (I don't want another one, I suspect it will have exactly the same problem), I will then purchase an alternative laptop from you.

Thread at the ASUS forums - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.p ... udio-issue

Video of laptop making the buzzing noise, it's really distracting in a quiet room - https://youtu.be/_3iS_v9hU9Y

Video of right speaker not working - https://youtu.be/LFQtowk3io0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:41 
Esoteric

Sounds like coil whine to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:46 
Gogmagog

JohnCoffey wrote:

Coil whine?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 13:07 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Coil whine?

Yup coil whine. (I mean the "buzzing noise")

https://www.xoticpc.com/coil-whine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI

Hearth. Had a minute to think about it, and... The only way to lower it is to set a FPS limit and Vsync. What I mean is, up to around 60 FPS most GPUs do not make coil whine. Well they do, obviously, but it's inaudible. When you drive up the refresh rate it means your card can then basically go balls out, meaning that at stupid FPS it will whine much higher pitched and much louder, due to the variances in FPS and thus the power the card needs.

When I bought my Titan XP I thought it was whine free. However, take away the jet blaster fan and cooler and put it under water and yeah, I admit, it does whine. Especially when I am playing games like Doom or what not. My Vega 64 also whines. I used to run it on a 50hz monitor synced and again thought I was whine free but JFC when I bought a 240hz screen and fired up Doom it sounded like I had a boy band playing on the radio in the background. I also noticed that on Fallout 4 the loading screens with the rotating pictures and dumb advice did not Vsync (obviously because they want it to load and run as fast as possible) and if I manipulated those items and moved them around my card would whine like crazy.

As I say, what I've said may not help you. You may find that you find it so annoying that the only way to eliminate it would be to game on a PC or go for something with a lower HZ screen on it. I think at 144hz you will definitely get at least some whine no matter what brand you get or which manufacturer makes it. And mfgrs won't accept returns on it either unless it's extreme (where OCUK will, but will tell you to buy a min gold rated power supply first).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 14:08 
Hello Hello Hello

Tried dropping the screen's refresh rate to 60Hz and it made no difference JC, even just when sat on the Windows desktop :(

I'll tell you what you though, even just using Windows normally, the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz is huge, just moving the mouse pointer around is massively smoother at 144Hz, and I don't mean 'If you look closely you can kind of tell the difference', I mean it's a proper night and day difference.

I totally want a 144Hz screen for my main PC now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 14:34 
UltraMod

I’ve got 100Hz which is nice. 144Hz screens are too rich for my blood.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 15:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Direct timestamped link to some of my thoughts on a 144Hz refresh rate screen.

I kind of feel like I'm slumming it a bit on my main PC now.....

https://youtu.be/riES4hIe3Qk?t=419

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 15:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

24hz is enough for anyone...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 15:59 
Hello Hello Hello

Hmmm so it looks like 4K screens at 144Hz only go up to 27 inch for some reason, which is no use as that's too small, I can just about manage 100% scaling on a 32 inch 4K screen.

Maybe it's a technical limitation, or they'd just be too fucking expensive?

The 27 inch ones aren't exactly cheap, but 32 inch ones don't seem to exist.

I don't want to lose 4K as I've really taken to splitting the display off into four 1080p quadrants.

Attachment:
bollockers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 16:39 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
Tried dropping the screen's refresh rate to 60Hz and it made no difference JC, even just when sat on the Windows desktop :(

I'll tell you what you though, even just using Windows normally, the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz is huge, just moving the mouse pointer around is massively smoother at 144Hz, and I don't mean 'If you look closely you can kind of tell the difference', I mean it's a proper night and day difference.

I totally want a 144Hz screen for my main PC now.

Ok cool. Well it sounds like coil whine to me. It's not just GPUs that do it but power supplies, mobos and even monitors.

I would say it's not the GPU if it's doing it at idle.

I just hope they're not dicks about it because most are. What they deem acceptable differs wildly to what people are willing to accept.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 16:46 
Hello Hello Hello

The buzzing noise is the least of the problems, the audio issues are the main problem. The right speaker randomly crapping out, for example, isn't cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 17:54 
Esoteric

Aye that's deffo not right man.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 19:15 
Hello Hello Hello

No word of a lie, even Hearthstone feels completely different at 144Hz.

Whatever does or doesn't happen with this laptop now, things are going to have to change on my PC estate, I'm an overnight high refresh rate convert.

Everything just feels so gorgeous and buttery smooth.

Attachment:
hearethersrsrs.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 20:57 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
24hz is enough for anyone...

It's cinematic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 21:26 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:

Whatever does or doesn't happen with this laptop now, things are going to have to change on my PC estate, I'm an overnight high refresh rate conversion.

The next chapter in the world's most expensive unnecessary laptop purchase begins.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 22:02 

It’s OK, Hearthly has money to burn, what with how he's keeping this car for 2+ years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:14 
Hello Hello Hello

Findus Fop wrote:
The next chapter in the world's most expensive unnecessary laptop purchase begins.

As the Marcus vending machines say in Borderlands 2 - 'Your cash ain't worth a thing if you don't spend it'.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

As the Marcus vending machines say in Borderlands 2 - 'Your cash ain't worth a thing if you don't spend it'.

That reminds me...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 17:12 
Esoteric

Tapping this on phone, so please excuse any replaced words just for the fucking sake of it (gotta love phones eh?).

I'm super, super fucked off with PC gaming right now.

I spent a whole day on a shit broadband line downloading and installing the new Borderlands 2 texture pack and the free DLC launched on June 9th. I was so excited to co op with my besty and get my game on.

It wouldn't fucking start. Not only that but it wouldn't fucking start *AND* did not appear in Task Manager, so I had to reboot the PC to stop saying the game was already running.

I began on Google, as you would, but after three hours of trying every fucking way known to man four hours passed and it still would not run. Eventually after four and a half hours it ran. The cause? A combination of my mouse software and MSI afterburner. I eventually fixed it, and replaced it with EVGA Precision which annoyingly is a skinned version of Afterburner *scratches head*.

OK, so now it's running (hallelujah!). I set the resolution to something daft using DSR (1.5x 4k) and bugger me it looked jaw dropping. Was still getting a rock solid 60 FPS thanks to my stupendous GPU clock (2150mhz under water, max temp 51c on a 25c day) and we were killing it. Then all of a sudden it crashed, claiming it ran out of video memory. I thought it odd, but not overly suspicious, given the ridiculous resolution I was driving it to. Dropped off to 4k, same crash. Very reluctantly dropped to native 1440p, still the same fucking crash. it then started happening to my chum, so we had to give up.

Fuck pc gaming. Seriously fuck it with a stick with glass stuck on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 18:14 
UltraMod

Sat has accidentally logged in using JC’s account

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 21:23 
Excellent Member

He's right though, PC gaming is the fucking worst.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 13:16 
Unpossible!

Woah, Mama! This PC that an academic has ordered has some serious grunt.

Attachment:
IMG_20190701_131433.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 19:12 
Sitting balls-back folder

Someone ordered a ridiculous Alienware for work, to run machine learning models. Five and a half grand or something. Comes in a stupid triangular case. Too many LEDs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 20:00 
Unpossible!

Those 2 Titan RTX cards run over £2k each. They're going to be used for MATLAB data analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 0:07 
Can you dig it?

THE ULTIMATE FORCE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:13 

‪Speed of this lad‬
‪Absolute IOPS unit ‬

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:24 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Needs a banana.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:27 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's tiny!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:30 

Grim... wrote:
It's tiny!

Well yeah. M.2 innit. It's just a tiny circuit board. This box is mostly fresh air.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 
Unpossible!

When we first received a system with one in, we thought Dell had stiffed us and not included a hard drive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:06 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
When we first received a system with one in, we thought Dell had stiffed us and not included a hard drive

I mean, they didn't.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:07 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I mean, they didn't.

Those BASTARDS!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 15:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I'm thinking of buying an internal 2TB (or more) hard drive as the one I currently have in my PC is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

Where's good to buy PC parts these days or should I just go to Amazon?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 16:32 
Hello Hello Hello

I always use Ebuyer, Overclockers or Scan - not necessarily the cheapest though.

Amazon are evil so I try to avoid giving them money where possible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 17:46 
ugvm'er at heart...

Whereas the others are all paragons of virtue :D

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111 ... 119  Next