All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which TP book next?
1 The Colour of Magic 1983 Rincewind Came 93rd in the Big Read. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
2 The Light Fantastic 1986 Rincewind 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
3 Equal Rites 1987 The Witches, The Wizards 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 Mort 1987 Death Came 65th in the Big Read 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
5 Sourcery 1988 Rincewind, The Wizards 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7 Pyramids 1989 Miscellaneous (Djelibeybi) British Science Fiction Award winner, 1989[5] 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
8 Guards! Guards! 1989 The City Watch Came 69th in the Big Read 35%  35%  [ 10 ]
11 Reaper Man 1991 Death, The Wizards Came 126th in the Big Read 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
12 Witches Abroad 1991 The Witches Came 197th in the Big Read 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
13 Small Gods 1992 Miscellaneous (Omnia), The History Monks Came 102nd in the Big Read 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
17 Interesting Times 1994 Rincewind, The Wizards 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
18 Maskerade 1995 The Witches 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
23 Carpe Jugulum 1998 The Witches 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
25 The Truth 2000 The Ankh-Morpork Times, 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
26 Thief of Time 2001 Death, Susan Sto Helit, The History Monks, The Witches 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
28 The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents 2001 A YA 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
29 Night Watch 2002 The City Watch, The History Monks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
31 Monstrous Regiment 2003 Miscellaneous (Borogravia), The City Watch, The Ankh-Morpork Times 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
34 Thud! 2005 The City Watch Locus Award nominee, 2006[12] 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
36 Making Money 2007 Moist von Lipwig Locus Award winner 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Re: Terry Pratchett
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:30 
What's this bit for exactly?

You need to start on Guards Guards first really - you are reading book 3 of a series really.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:41 
Goth

I may abort this and start Guards then. You know that's the first Terry Pratchett book I ever encountered. It's possible it had just come out on paperback or something. I think I recall the first line "Thunder rolled, it rolled a six.", right?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:25 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Nirejhenge wrote:
I may abort this and start Guards then. You know that's the first Terry Pratchett book I ever encountered. It's possible it had just come out on paperback or something. I think I recall the first line "Thunder rolled, it rolled a six.", right?

Nope , first line

"This is where the dragons went."

Although according to the quote file its in the book somewhere

http://www.lspace.org/books/pqf/guards-guards.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's also well worth tracking down the BBC audio production of Guards, Guards!. It's very good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:58 
Rude Belittler

Dimrill wrote:
Yeah, American Gods is great. Anansie Boys, less so.

I thought Anansi Boys was excellent, easily as good as American Gods.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 13:19 
Skillmeister

As there's quite a few Pratcthetchett fans here (20 years and still serving), here's a question. We all know that pTerry's not very well and unfortunately isn't going to get better. How would people feel if he allowed other authors to write Discworld novels?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 13:28 

Wouldn't bother me if they started stories with new characters in Discworld, but if they fired out new stories based entirely around existing characters it would likely be a confusing mess of personality transplants :S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 13:54 
Ready for action

I would enjoy reading more Discworld novels and it would be great to meet new characters so if he gave someone the blessing to go ahead then I think I would read it. I think I would be ok with them writing existing characters as well though since if the writer was a Discworld fan then they could know the characters as well as anyone and it would be even better if the writer had access to Pratchett's notes.
I wish it didn't have to be an issue though. :(
I just think that the world he has created is such a wonderful one and has such potential for stories that it would be a shame to see it stopped and I would hate to see copycat versions that weren't actually Discworld novels.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 15:28 
8-Bit Champion

Dimrill wrote:
As there's quite a few Pratcthetchett fans here (20 years and still serving), here's a question. We all know that pTerry's not very well and unfortunately isn't going to get better. How would people feel if he allowed other authors to write Discworld novels?

I have thought about this - I mean its terrible what's happening to him but he's still here , and still writing , and while he retains enough of his faculties I would be okay with someone else writing it if he at least gave it a 'stamp' to approve it.

I suppose the real question is would he be happy with it , I was at an event where he spoke about the 'supposed' rivalry between him and J K Rowling and his analogy was that writing fantasy books was like the pouch of tobacco his granny used to carry around with her , it was never empty but people would bring her some which was mixed in and added , and the ends of the cigarettes all went back in so it was a big mixture of stuff - some people brought new things in and it just got mixed in with everything else - you couldnt say what bits were originally brought in by different people.

BTW I assume people are aware his daughter writes for a number of different games companies (story / characters / etc) , the main ones being Mirrors Edge / Overlord / etc , she was a guest on "The Gamespot UK podcast" the week before last and its worth a listen to hear about the various things she's done.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 16:20 
Skillmeister

As long as Kevin J Anderson had nothing to do with it, I'd be chuffed to bits to see new Discworld novels by different authors. The aforementioned Neil Gaimon would be an ideal candidate in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 17:01 

After many years of ignoring the Discworld books, The Colour of Magic arrived today. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 22:24 
Goth

I'm also reading The Colour of Magic. It's quite good so far.

Making Money was stunningly good. The Truth was very good and Feet of Clay was terrible up to about 60 pages in so I stopped reading it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:10 

Nearly done with the Colour of Magic. Enjoyed it so much that the next three books arrived yesterday. Why didn't I read Pratchett earlier? Genuinely hilarious, brilliant stuff. I'm chuffed that I have so many more of his books yet to read :D
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I had to read the aeroplane bit twice to understand what was going on. :P Really good, though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:26 
Goth

I'm at just about the exact same place in Colour of Magic and it is a lot of fun. I understood the aeroplane thing instantly because I'm clever. Have you got to the frog thing yet? I predicted what would happen there too.

I then decided to have a look at the TV version and by golly they've done an excellent job of ruining it. Twoflower speaking Ankhmorporkian makes no sense. The book relies on him not understanding people. What's with Tim Curry's character? Rincewind spent 40 years at university? And why has Liessa no longer got long red hair? Oh and I see they decided to make it the first two books rather than just Colour of Magic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:29 

I have the last "part" to read, so no frogs yet! In my defence, it was 3AM when I read the aeroplane bit :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:35 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I loved the first lot of books, but seriously can't be arsed with the latter lot.

Also, you're right about the TV adaptation. Sean Goonies as TwoFlower was an atrocious casting decision, and David Jason was appalling as well.

The tooth fairy one (which book was that? I can't think of the title) was quite good, but I haven't read that one. And I haven't seen or read Going Postal yet either.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Malabar Front wrote:
I loved the first lot of books, but seriously can't be arsed with the latter lot.

Also, you're right about the TV adaptation. Sean Goonies as TwoFlower was an atrocious casting decision, and David Jason was appalling as well.

The tooth fairy one (which book was that? I can't think of the title) was quite good, but I haven't read that one. And I haven't seen or read Going Postal yet either.

Hogfather.

I'm getting Going Postal on the DVD as soon as possible. It's one of my favourite TP books.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:46 

Ah, Hogfather! Go away, David Jason.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 13:09 

Aw, I was kinda hoping the David Jason version would be good. *cancels download*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 13:13 

Eric Idle. Please. He's my exact mental image of Rincewind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:55 
Goth

And he did play Rincewind in the video games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:59 

Nirejhenge wrote:
And he did play Rincewind in the video games.

He did! That's possibly why I picture/hear him as Rincewind, to be fair, but he'd be almost perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 13:07 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I did like Mort... my fav so far..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:32 
Goth

Having finished and thoroughly enjoyed The Colour of Magic, I started on The Light Fantastic. I've been struggling to make any headway in it, sadly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:08 
Excellently Membered

I seem to have a back log of around 5 Pratchett books. I started to find them a bit boring. I hope the break gets me going again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:11 

Nirejhenge wrote:
Having finished and thoroughly enjoyed The Colour of Magic, I started on The Light Fantastic. I've been struggling to make any headway in it, sadly.

:this:

I think it has something to do with playing videogames all of the time, though. Also, my reading lamp is broken, so I have to read during the day, and there's always something else to do in the day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 
Gogmagog

Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:

:this:

I think it has something to do with playing videogames all of the time, though. Also, my reading lamp is broken, so I have to read during the day, and there's always something else to do in the day.

Prepare fortifications to defend against night monster attacks?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:05 

Exactly Mali!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 19:00 
and!

What no Soul Music?

Comedy podcast, films and that - http://www.wenton.co.uk - Now with Hammer horror special

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 19:03 

Soul Cars now, innit?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 19:04 
Skillmeister

Phone Cars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 19:40 

What?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 23:42 
UltraMod

Phonecars Houseware.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:20 
Goth

I think the problem with The Light Fantastic is it removes the focus from the adventures of one character (or small group that are always together). It also seems to be even more annoyingly quirky.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 

Finished The Light Fantastic the other day (finally). I thought it was, er, fantastic! I really want to move onto Equal Rites, but I'm now reading Dune instead. I actually started reading a book called The Winter of Frankie Machine, which is apparently awesome, but directly after Pratchett it read like it was written by a fucking teenager, so I gave up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 
PC Gamer

The passage in The Light Fantastic about the naming of the forest of Skund probably made me laugh longer and harder than anything else has in the history of everything ever.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 
8-Bit Champion

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/201 ... en-im-gone

Quote:
Terry Pratchett plans to hand over the Discworld series to his daughter Rhianna, he reveals in this week's New Statesman.

In an interview with Laurie Penny - who has returned to the NS as a contributing editor - the author, campaigner and "professional morbid bastard" talks about his life and work. They discuss his diagnosis with posterior cortical atrophy, a rare form of Alzheimer's, in 2007. Since then, his health has declined markedly:

He has lost the ability to use a keyboard altogether and can do very little with a pen. His most recent four books have been written entirely by dictation, and with the help of his assistant of 12 years, Rob Wilkins.

"I can no longer type, so I use TalkingPoint and Dragon Dictate," Pratchett says, as Rob drives us to the café in a rather unexpected large gold Jaguar. "It's a speech-to-text program," he explains, "and there's an add-on for talking which some guys came up with."

So, how does that differ from using his hands to write?

"Actually, it's much, much better," he says.

I hesitate, and he senses scepticism.

"Think about it! We are monkeys," says Prat­chett. "We talk. We like talking. We are not born to go . . ." He turns and makes click-clack motions, like somebody's fusty grandfather disapproving of the internet.

Pratchett's assistant of 12 years, Rob Wilkins, also reveals that earlier this month, the author suffered an atrial fibrillation in the back seat of a New York taxi. Were it not for emergency CPR, he would have died.

What happened next is that Pratchett collapsed. “I had to kneel on the back seat of the taxi and give him CPR,” Rob says. “It was fingers down throat stuff. He nearly died.”
The author was rushed to hospital, but recovered swiftly. Doctors told him that he had suffered an atrial fibrillation, caused by the cumulative effect of drugs he had been prescribed for high blood pressure and made worse by his busy touring schedule. He now downplays the incident. “I once heard it mentioned that signing tours can kill you quicker than drugs, booze and fast women,” he tells the New Statesman. “Some of which I haven’t tried.” It’s made him wonder if he should slow down and devote more time to writing and his family, but he enjoys life on the road too much to give it up.

Nonetheless, it has focused attention on the future of his work, as well as on his only child, Rhianna Pratchett (herself an accomplished writer). Penny writes:

[Rhianna] will be a co-writer on the BBC Discworld series The Watch, news of which has had fans like me chewing their cheeks in excitement. Mine may never recover after hearing some particularly exciting casting details that I'm absolutely not allowed to tell you about.

Run by Pratchett's new production company, Narrativia, The Watch will continue the well-loved City Watch saga where the books left off, and Rhianna will be an important member of the writing team. The author tells me that he will be happy for her to continue writing the Discworld books when he is no longer able to do so. "The Discworld is safe in my daughter's hands," Pratchett assures me.

Rhianna has grown up immersed in her father's universe and knows it inside out. Listening to him talking about his daughter, I realise it is the first time I've heard him acknowledge the possibility of not being able to write any more.

Pratchett says that his reaction to this fact is mostly to be "incredibly angry".

“Anger is wonderful. It keeps you going. I’m angry about bankers. About the government. They’re fecking useless.” He really does say “fecking”. “I know what Granny Weatherwax [a no-nonsense witch who crops up in several Discworld novels] would say to David Cameron. . ."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:42 
8-Bit Champion

zaphod79 wrote:
http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2012/11/terry-pratchett-my-daughter-rhianna-will-take-over-discworld-when-im-gone

Quote:
Terry Pratchett plans to hand over the Discworld series to his daughter Rhianna, he reveals in this week's New Statesman.

Apparently not (link via her twitter)

http://asylos.tumblr.com/post/430181532 ... at-rhianna

Quote:
Some of the newspapers have reported that Rhianna Pratchett will take over writing Discworld novels after Terry stops. Rhianna and Terry actually meant that Rhianna is well placed to concentrate on co-writing the adaptations for Narrativia and working on spin off works because of her in depth knowledge of Discworld. Rhianna has no plans to write Discworld novels as she feels Discworld these should remain her father’s legacy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 

Hello. Sorry for the thread necromancy, but there you go.

I have never read a Terry Pratchett book (I know!) but I have an audible credit burning a hole in my email, so where do I begin spending them? What’s the book I should start with to see if I enjoy them?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Either Guards! Guards! or Small Gods.

Or actually, I think you might really enjoy Diggers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:37 

Grim... wrote:

Thank you. I am going to try Diggers, as you said you thought I specifically might enjoy it. If I do, I will go back and try Small Gods, as I have heard of that one.

Thank you, Grim...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:28 
8-Bit Champion

FYI Diggers is a short standalone series (Diggers / Truckers / Wings)

Small Gods is one of my favorite's and does not rely on you really knowing anything about Discworld

There are a few other standalone series which may also be interesting I like the 'Johnny and' series which are set it the 'real' world and the 80's rather than the discworld

Only You Can Save Mankind - Johnny gets a pirate copy of the latest videogame and instead of trying to kill him the Aliens want to surrender to him
Johnny and the Dead - The local council wants to dig up and sell the land that a graveyard is on - Johnny can talk to the ghosts in the graveyard that don't want their home destroyed
Johnny and the Bomb - Time travel story which has a big Dr Who feel to me - Johnny and his friends end up back in time in the Blitz and need to save the town by getting the Air Raid sirens going.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Thank you. I am going to try Diggers, as you said you thought I specifically might enjoy it. If I do, I will go back and try Small Gods, as I have heard of that one.

Thank you, Grim...

Diggers is the second book, I think. The three are Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 

Cras wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Thank you, Grim...

Diggers is the second book, I think. The three are Truckers, Diggers, and Wings.

Should I listen to truckers first, then? (I have three credits, so that wouldn’t be a problem)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:11 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I would!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 

Thanks, chaps! X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 13:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:

I did wonder if it wasn't the first one.

It's called "The Bromeliad Trilogy" in case there's a book with them all in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 13:38 

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:

I did wonder if it wasn't the first one.

It's called "The Bromeliad Trilogy" in case there's a book with them all in.

Not on audible, but I’ve got the first two (Truckers, and Diggers) so I’ll give those a listen then get the third if I’m enjoying them, then I’ll come back for more advice :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 15:09 
Sleepyhead

Aye, then if you want to start with Discworld books I’d probably go with Guards! Guards!

Small Gods is excellent, but also pretty weird from what I remember.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 15:27 
8-Bit Champion

Curiosity wrote:
Aye, then if you want to start with Discworld books I’d probably go with Guards! Guards!

Small Gods is excellent, but also pretty weird from what I remember.

So much of it was reused as the plot to American Gods :-)

Small gods is basically 'gods are what you make of them' along with 'dont trust organized religion' and 'who is top god now might not be later'

It does not rely on you knowing anything at all about discworld at all and other than DEATH (and a short guest spot by the Librarian (OOK)) none of the characters are in the other books.

Guards Guards is another excellent starting point but it then leads onto so many more (and although its good I think its probably one of the weakest 'watch' stories)

Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next