Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:53 
Hibernating Druid

Satsuma wrote:
Ninja
:luv: :metul:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:58 
Gogmagog

FILM ReGIEE! John Wick 2.

In John Wick One he was angry about a dog and a car. In John Wick 2, he has both, but also obligations. This makes him angry, so he visits an antiques dealer who tells him to get on it, and BOOM KAPOW BLAMMO SPLAT until Morpheus shows up and tells him to do more BOOM KAPOW BLAMMO SPLAT.

Much better than the first, but needed a baddie as good as Theon greyjoy was Ithe first to have made it exceptional.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 16:47 
Paws for thought

On the way back I saw Iceman: The Time Traveller

Bugger me, this was garbage. Disjointed plot with kicks that could power the sun. And then... it ended.

It was almost like it was sunday at the cottage.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 16:56 
Paws for thought

Wait, the ridiculous kicks were actually this film, which I also saw:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombiruo:_Penunggu_Rimba

I sept though the beginning of it. Which made it make no sense as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 16:57 
UltraMod

Not if you were well rested.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:07 
Hello Hello Hello

Couple of recent watches from me:

CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME? - Is one of those 'based on a true story' thingies about the biographer Lee Israel, who had been moderately successful in the 70s and 80s but by the early 90s was finding her traditional biographies had very much fallen out of favour. Flat broke and living in a crappy New York apartment with her sick cat, and not possessed of much in the way of social niceties, she accidentally stumbles upon a ready market for letters written by dead famous people. (Her first sale is a genuine letter she finds buried in a book in a library, whilst researching her own book that her agent tells her will be unsellable and she can't get an advance for.)

Selling the letter gives a much needed small infusion of cash, and allows her to buy treatment for her cat, and the buyer is keen for more letters, the only problem is, she doesn't have any more.

Broke again, she decides that if she doesn't have any more letters to sell, she could turn her writing talents to 'creating' letters written by dead famous people, and sell those.

Thus commences shenanigans, including Richard E Grant, who comes onboard as an assistant and sort of friend, but also brings his own set of problems to the table as a prolific drug user, alcoholic (this isn't so bad as Lee herself really likes a drink), and incredibly lustful gay man (not that there's anything wrong with that in and of itself, but it collides with their plans in unfortunate ways).

It's a great set up for a fine film, with Melissa McArthy doing stellar work as Lee Israel, and Richard E Grant being very Richard E Granty, which is of course an excellent thing. There are other cast members but TBH it's pretty much their film in the main.

Ultimately a genuinely moving portrayal of two troubled souls just trying to find their way through a difficult world, I enjoyed this very much.

865/1000

THE PERFECTION - Totally batshit film that's just turned up on Netflix, I went in knowing pretty much fuck all about it and suggest you do the same.

Here's the RT synopsis, just go in with that, and enjoy a 90 minute ride that'll have you intrigued from the start, with a climax that'll knock you for six. Do be aware it's a Cert 18 and it earns it.

835/1000

Quote:
When troubled musical prodigy Charlotte (Allison Williams) seeks out Elizabeth (Logan Browning), the new star pupil of her former school, the encounter sends both musicians down a sinister path with shocking consequences.

I quite like this summary:

Quote:
The Perfection takes deep, fetishistic satisfaction in pushing the envelope, then pushing it some more, building in seductive fits and shocking starts to an orgiastic frenzy of cinematic excess.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 18:03 
Soopah red DS

I really liked Can You Ever Forgive Me?, but the idea that REG was miscast nagged away at me throughout it. I mean, happy for him that he got plaudits, and those show I Am Wrong, empirically, but I was not convinced by him. Felt more like him coming on and doing his turn, than that he was a believable character.

Still, whole is greater than the sum of those parts, well recommend watching it.

I saw Iron Sky: The Coming Race, which tries hard, is badly written by a bunch of giggling teenagers, delivered badly and generally shit. It's meant to be 'bad', but I don't think they aimed for it to be this bad.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 18:09 
Hello Hello Hello

JBR wrote:
I really liked Can You Ever Forgive Me?, but the idea that REG was miscast nagged away at me throughout it. I mean, happy for him that he got plaudits, and those show I Am Wrong, empirically, but I was not convinced by him. Felt more like him coming on and doing his turn, than that he was a believable character.

To start with I felt the same way, to the extent I actually found myself having HERETIC THOUGHTS along the lines of, 'This film might be better if REG wasn't in it'.

But then a little way in his character clicked with me, and I saw he had the same vulnerability and loneliness stalking him that Lee Israel did, and that early on in the film he was playing 'the fake persona of his actual character', if that makes sense?

The final scene in particular felt very well earned to me, and was really quite moving.

The cool thing about REG is that he's a really nice bloke too, it's annoying when people you admire turn out to be fucking arseholes.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 18:16 
Soopah red DS

Hearthly wrote:
JBR wrote:

To start with I felt the same way, to the extent I actually found myself having HERETIC THOUGHTS along the lines of, 'This film might be better if REG wasn't in it'.

But then a little way in his character clicked with me, and I saw he had the same vulnerability and loneliness stalking him that Lee Israel did, and that early on in the film he was playing 'the fake persona of his actual character', if that makes sense?

The final scene in particular felt very well earned to me, and was really quite moving.

The cool thing about REG is that he's a really nice bloke too, it's annoying when people you admire turn out to be fucking arseholes.

Yeah, I wonder if I might just settle in and enjoy it as it is if I watched it again. I was moved by the last scene, but then nudged myself and felt a bit annoyed that it had moved me. I am not sure that was a great response - I don't remember being in a particularly critical frame of mind, and it was in a cinema ages ago, so I wasn't distracted. I was just a sliver away from feeling the same as you, though, so maybe I'll watch it again.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 18:29 
Bad Girl

I tried to watch Peter Jackson’s Mortal Engines. I got about an hour into it before I had to turn that shit off.

Then I watched Us. Which was another really good not really a horror, horror flick but this was was a bit lighter than most with comedy undertones. The mum in it is really fucking annoying though; not the actor, just what she does. It’s just the typical “don’t do that” horror trope, but otherwise it does a good job of staying fresh in an otherwise stale genre that’s having a bit of a resurgence these days.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 22:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Tonight's film was 1922, it's a Netflix original film and is an adaptation of the Stephen King novella of the same name.

It's a very good film, but it's also unremittingly grim and dark, set in an US farming community in the year of (you guessed it) 1922. It starts off with a disaffected farmer husband plotting to kill his wife, as she wishes to divorce him and sell the 100 acre parcel of land she was left by her father. The husband goads and blackmails their son into helping him commit the murder and, well, it all kind of goes downhill from there, and it starts off from a pretty downhill place as it is.

An effective piece of cinema, but don't expect it to cheer you up. There is a morality to it, (don't do bad stuff, the grass isn't always greener, and almost a sort of anti-American dream piece), but one does feel like one's been beaten over the head a bit by the end of it.

I know that doesn't sound like much of recommendation, but I would recommend it as an excellent slice of film making.

795/1000

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 23:03 
UltraMod

Yeah it’s good

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 13:25 

Hearthly wrote:
Tonight's film was 1922, it's a Netflix original film and is an adaptation of the Stephen King novella of the same name.

It's a very good film, but it's also unremittingly grim and dark, set in an US farming community in the year of (you guessed it) 1922. It starts off with a disaffected farmer husband plotting to kill his wife, as she wishes to divorce him and sell the 100 acre parcel of land she was left by her father. The husband goads and blackails their son into helping him commit the murder and, well, it all kind of goes downhill from there, and it starts off from a pretty downhill place as it is.

An effective piece of cinema, but don't expect it to cheer you up. There is a morality to it, (don't do bad stuff, the grass isn't always greener, and almost a sort of anti-American dream piece), but one does feel like one's been beaten over the head a bit by the end of it.

I know that doesn't sound like much of recommendation, but I would recommend it as an excellent slice of film making.

795/1000

I might be being silly here, but do you have a link to that? I tried searching for it on Netflix but it’s not showing.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 13:36 
Comfortably Dumb

https://www.netflix.com/title/80135164

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 13:42 
Hello Hello Hello

Yep that link works for me.

Attachment:
22ers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 14:35 

Yep, that worked great, thank you! I guess the search on my app is/was playing silly.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 20:51 
Esoteric

Stan And Ollie. Quite sad really and totally not what I was expecting but a great film nonetheless.

Then I watched Jersey Boys which was equally excellent.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 18:43 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Just got back from Rocketman.

I thought it was excellent. The music was great as extradite. Taron played Elton really well.

Really worth a watch.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 18:56 
Gogmagog

Been on a date, Kov?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 19:14 

MaliA wrote:
Been on a date, Kov?

Took miss kov with me

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 19:28 
Gogmagog

KovacsC wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Been on a date, Kov?

Took miss kov with me

Mali knows all.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 19:41 

* checks over shoulder *

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night's film was AVENGEMENT which is an ultra-violent, and very straightforward revenge thriller. It's British, or at least it's set in London and the cast are cockneys in the main, and it's got a pub with a fruit machine in it.

PLOT - Chap escapes from jail after seven years, seeks revenge on the SLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAGS who put him there, the backstory is revealed in flashback and we learn of the INJUSTICE that was done.

This is essentially 88 minutes of no holds barred ass-kicking on a biblical scale, Scott Adkins carries the lead very well, and in fairness the whole cast are decent. The film itself is well assembled, the direction is assured, the fights are crunchy as fuck with no stupid shakycam bollocks, and if you want to see a full on kerb stomp done properly complete with teeth and blood flying all over the place - this has you covered.

Also comes complete with a surprisingly effective soundtrack and a nice conclusion that even manages a bit of pathos.

For what it is, this is a solid and enjoyable film. Do be aware it's not John Wick style violence though, the Cert 18 is certainly earned and it won't be to everyone's taste.

800/1000

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:06 
Hibernating Druid

KovacsC wrote:
The music was great as extradite.

That's not what Julian Assange said.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:13 
Esoteric

Been doing some reading about Joy Division, so tonight I will be watching Control from 2007. If it's "area correct" it should bring back some very happy memories for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:43 
Hello Hello Hello

SPOILER ALERT - It doesn't have a happy ending.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:55 
Esoteric

Hearthly wrote:
SPOILER ALERT - It doesn't have a happy ending.

Doesn't have a happy beginning or middle either going from his life. Very sad..

I kinda figured you were a fan when I noticed one of the songs was called "Atrocity Exhibition". As it turns out I may know someone related to the guy who introduced Curtis to his wife.....

Was doing some reading, it mentions that a guy called Tony Nuttall introduced Curtis to his wife to be and they moved to Chadderton. Both of those rang alarm bells 'cause 1. I know a girl who married into that name (Nuttall) and 2. She's from Chadderton. Which is where I used to go during the 6 week holidays back in the 80s. I've shot her a PM on FB, will see what she says. If her husband is related it must be his uncle or father. She's my age (45) and so is her husband.

I usually try not to listen to music like Joy Division (ironic name really) because it can sometimes play into my depression and make me 100 times worse. Same reason I don't really listen to The Smiths, and try to limit my time with Radiohead when I am feeling shitty. Music can make me happier than anything, but by the same rules it can make me suicidal really quickly. I only started listening to OMD's deeper stuff as an adult, and I now absolutely love the song "Forever Live And Die". I hated it as a kid, it made me cry.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:19 
Esoteric

OK so I watched Control. Fucking brilliant film. Loved how it was shot all in black and white, really reminded me of being a small child right around that time and being the very proud owner of a 14" Philips black and white TV *in my bedroom*. Get me, King Coffey. But yes, was a marvellous look back into the past with some cracking music to boot. I am only really discovering a lot of this stuff now due to my obsession with electronic (Electro mainly, some hip hop) music as a child. What I didn't realise then is that I was far too young mentally for grown up stuff like Joy Division. I mean, in my defence I was only 5 years old.

Very gritty film though and superbly shot. The only gripe I have is that they all whisper and then the music comes in really fucking loud. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I was in my old flat because I hated my neighbours but here I have a bit more to worry about. So I found myself constantly turning the sound up and down which got a little tiring.

I checked with my friend, not related to Tony. There must be a few of them oop norf. Am in no doubt whatsoever that when I finally sort out some wireless headphones for my TV I will listen to this at FULL BLAST GRRRR.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 
Unpossible!

JohnCoffey wrote:
The only gripe I have is that they all whisper and then the music comes in really fucking loud. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I was in my old flat because I hated my neighbours but here I have a bit more to worry about. So I found myself constantly turning the sound up and down which got a little tiring

Your TV may have a dynamic compression setting that can help with that. What make is it?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 
Esoteric

DavPaz wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
The only gripe I have is that they all whisper and then the music comes in really fucking loud. Now this wouldn't be a problem if I was in my old flat because I hated my neighbours but here I have a bit more to worry about. So I found myself constantly turning the sound up and down which got a little tiring

Your TV may have a dynamic compression setting that can help with that. What make is it?

Hisense. A quite archaic 65 incher. I already adjusted the EQ because my sub is ridiculous and even at the lowest possible setting was making the plaster boards rattle and vibrate lol. I might need to look for that, as I had no idea such a thing existed nor what it was called.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 13:09 
Hello Hello Hello

PROTIP - Watch with subtitles, I watch everything with subtitles and have done for years.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 13:35 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
PROTIP - Watch with subtitles, I watch everything with subtitles and have done for years.

Certainly one of Netflix's strengths - I've not seen a single thing on there that didn't come with subtitles. Admittedly, they're not always 100% accurate, but it's still better than Amazon Prime and Google Play Movies, where barely anything seems to have them.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 13:39 
Hello Hello Hello

Amazon Prime's subs are often shit, if they have them at all. NowTV is wank as fuck as well.

Netflix are indeed excellent though.

When I purchase anything from Usenet, I always get goods with subs.

I play videogames with subs as well, anything that has them, basically.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 14:04 
Comfortably Dumb

Hearthly wrote:
NowTV is wank as fuck as well.

NowTV is a lot better than it used to be; for a long time, their platform didn't even have support for subtitles. Last time I used it, they did seem more common, although they had to be turned on after starting a film, rather than being enabled by default. I do still hope to get my deaf parents into watching streaming stuff, but right now, I could only recommend Netflix to them.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 14:04 
Esoteric

Amazon's are awful. Totally awful.

I was watching a docu about Gacy and the subs kept calling him Gay Z. Made me think about a camp rapper lol.

I got 99 problems but serial killing ain't one.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 13:57 
Comfortably Dumb

On the subject of Amazon, they've added a few films today that might be handy for those with kids that need entertaining - Shrek 2, 3 and Forever After (oddly, not Shrek 1 though), Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar 2 & 3, Bee Movie, Monsters Vs Aliens and Rise of the Guardians.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 18:36 
Rude Belittler

I only just found out that the director that replaced Bryan Singer on Bohemian Rhapsody and who directed Elton John's biopic Rocket Man is none other than crap Gamesmaster presenter Dexter Fletcher.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 19:19 
UltraMod

I think you mean Press Gang’s Dexter Fletcher.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 19:29 
Gogmagog

Dexter Fletcher Who Almost Got Crucified

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 20:25 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:

You're mixing up your Gamesmaster hosts; it's was Dominic Diamond that didn't get crucified.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 20:28 
Esoteric

MaliA wrote:

Guns for show, knives for a pro.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 19:07 
Prince of Fops

Today's commute fodder was John Wick (the first one).

I've never watched a John Wick. I enjoyed this, it was pleasingly straightforward and I loved the quirkiness of this imagined community of assassins.

BUT

I'm unsure why John Wick is as afeared as he apparently is. He doesn't seem to be particularly cunning, he's not fast, he's a workaday fighter, and he has awful hearing (he gets belted by at least two massive cars, which apparently took him completely by surprise.)

His main skills appear to be:

- Misery
- Shooting people twice (once in the body, then in the head)
- Fighting against people who are a bit shit at shooting and fighting

I enjoyed the film a lot, but I reckon I could have Mr Wick in a fight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 22:25 
Esoteric

I dare you to steal his car!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:51 
Hello Hello Hello

New fillum on Netflix called I AM MOTHER.

Decent little sci-fi flick, intriguing premise. In a post extinction event world, in a sheltered underground complex, a robot unfreezes a single human embryo and raises the child as her daughter.

Feat Hilary Swank.

800/1000

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 17:45 
Decapodian

We watched that last night and enjoyed it. Very well done I thought

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 13:29 
Bad Girl

I’ve watch the new Aladdin.

It felt completely unnecessary. Scenes are copies from the cartoon and it just felt like a worse version of something that was a stone cold classic.

I didn’t like the direction at times either from Guy Richie of all people. For instance, the iconic song is infinitely worse and set against this black night backdrop where you can barely make out what’s happening. It’s shot in a woefully bland way when it should be making the hair prick up on your arms. Some scenes, like the first kiss, aren’t done right either with more cuts when the cartoon did the same scene better in one frame.

The main protagonists are alright but I didn’t feel much chemistry between them oozing off the screen. The rest of the cast aren’t much cop neither. Jaffar is unfortunately just terrible and doesn’t hold a candle to the original character. He’s lacking the snivelling, subservient yet cruel and power hungry contrast from the OG. He doesn’t look right either but I can’t blame the actor for that. Plus the effects on his cane are done in this really shit way that had me groaning.

The CGI carpet was worse too. Some of the scenes are so dark that it barely stands out in the background when it should be this colourful alive character. The monkey is good though.

I didn’t think much of the new song either. Especially the direction when it comes in for a second time and people stand vanishing for some reason. Oh it was just shittily done.

Will Smith’s alright but he’s mainly just rehashing Robin William’s lines but not doing them as well. Bloody loved the Prince Ali song though.

Overall it’s an unnecessary and irrelevant bit of cinema that’s not worth your time. Just watch the cartoon cause it’s fucking great.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 13:53 
UltraMod

*books tickets immediately*

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 13:54 

Satsuma wrote:
the iconic song is infinitely worse and set against this black night backdrop where you can barely make out what’s happening.
Satsuma wrote:
Will Smith’s alright but he’s mainly just rehashing Robin William’s lines but not doing them as well. Bloody loved the Prince Ali song though.

If the Prince Ali song isn’t the ‘iconic’ song then I don’t know what is? Unless you mean the ‘Whole New World’ song, which I don’t think is anywhere near as loved, is it?

I’ve seen the Will Smith song, and though it seemed... ok... I don’t know. He sung it, performed it, but Williams acted it and every line was just perfectly pitched, not in terms of note, but in acting and humour. It just didn’t seem to have a tenth of the energy, to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 13:57 
Skillmeister

Just a FYI, Go Faster Stripe recently put out Thom Tuck's show "goes straight to DVD" grounded on all the direct to video Disney flimums. It is quite funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 14:17 
Bad Girl

Quote:
If the Prince Ali song isn’t the ‘iconic’ song then I don’t know what is? Unless you mean the ‘Whole New World’ song, which I don’t think is anywhere near as loved, is it?

*spurts tea from nose* There’s no way that Prince Ali is the iconic song everyone knows from Aladdin. Of course it’s a Whole New World! I’ve no idea why you’d think otherwise.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375 ... 422  Next