Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 21:08 
Gogmagog

That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 21:12 

Mr Chonks wrote:
Mali is only happy when he’s talking to himself

It’s better for the rest of us that way, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 22:14 

MaliA wrote:
That was the most amazing thing I have ever seen.

Russell just watched it. It was awful. They had a joke that lasted one minute and somehow forced it to over 30 miserable minutes.

Also, also... no diary in the 80s/90s had narwhal stickers on it. That’s a 2018 stationery thing. Obviously there are worse things than that. Not for me though. That was the worst.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 23:30 
Sleepyhead

The love for narwhals has been around for years.

I watched some of the thing. It’s okay. Like an entire 30 minute ‘Lemonade’ parody mixed with the Golf Boys, Beastie Boys, and about 300 jokes about steroids shrinking your junk.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 23:42 

Curiosity wrote:
The love for narwhals has been around for years.

I watched some of the thing. It’s okay. Like an entire 30 minute ‘Lemonade’ parody mixed with the Golf Boys, Beastie Boys, and about 300 jokes about steroids shrinking your junk.

You couldn’t walk into a stationery shop in the late 80s/early 90s and buy narwhal stickers. You can now.

Source: MY GIANT COLLECTION OF NARWHAL STICKERS AND I LOVE NARWHALS 4 LYF AND B4 THEY WERE K00L. *mic drop*.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 23:43 

Also, it’s one steroid joke repeated 300 times, not 300 jokes, let’s be clear.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:57 
Gogmagog

You are so wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 13:03 

Sorry. What I meant was: it was thoroughly Malicool.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 14:42 
INFINITE POWAH

So we just got to Series 2 and In The Shadow of Two Gunmen.

Why don't people make tv like this any more?
#golden age #wheniwasyoung #thisallusedtobefields

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 14:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Pretty sure that double-header is my best TV episode(s) of all time.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 21:18 
Soopah red DS

Mimi wrote:
Sorry. What I meant was: it was thoroughly Malicool.

This is a review I can work with.

:luv: :kiss: :luv:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 15:17 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1133828303037583362

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 16:10 
Skillmeister

Squeee! *claps hands together*

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:28 
8-Bit Champion

Reminder : Good Omens on Amazon Prime is released today / now

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:49 
Hello Hello Hello

That new miniseries CHERNOBYL is excellent. It's a HBO thing but we're watching it on NowTV which covers it via Sky Atlantic. (I have no idea how all this shit hangs together these days, I just check Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer and NowTV, and then Usenet if required.)

It's a dramatisation but very closely follows the actual events with no real poetic licence or anything like that.

Genuinely chilling stuff, and fascinating to see how close they came to having a second disaster at the site that would have made the first one seem like someone burning their food in the oven.

Attachment:
nobbers.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:39 
Hello Hello Hello

I finished Chernobyl last night, and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND it in CAPITAL LETTERS.

Even though I was fairly well versed in what happened, I still learned new stuff and seeing it all dramatised so well gave the entire sequence of events much greater heft.

Chilling to see how close we came to having an international catastrophe. (What actually ended up happening was the 'nice' version.)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:25 
Decapodian

I’m waiting for the last episode to appear.
If you haven’t already done so, listen to the podcast as well. It explains some of the creative choices, clarify what’s real (most of it) and where they made changes for dramatic purposes. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
I’m waiting for the last episode to appear.
If you haven’t already done so, listen to the podcast as well. It explains some of the creative choices, clarify what’s real (most of it) and where they made changes for dramatic purposes. Highly recommended.

Holy shit there's another episode! I didn't realise there was a fifth episode, I thought it finished off a bit funny at the end of episode four :D

Fucking hell what a buffoon.

Someone else has recommended the podcast too, I should listen to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 20:02 
Bad Girl

Hearthly wrote:
I finished Chernobyl last night, and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND it in CAPITAL LETTERS.

Even though I was fairly well versed in what happened, I still learned new stuff and seeing it all dramatised so well gave the entire sequence of events much greater heft.

Chilling to see how close we came to having an international catastrophe. (What actually ended up happening was the 'nice' version.)

I am interested in what you’re selling. I shall acquire this thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 
Hello Hello Hello

Just don't get confused like I did and think it finishes a bit oddly at the end of the fourth episode.

There are five episodes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 20:14 
Bad Girl

Chernobyl: terrifying, and that’s episode 1.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 21:34 
Esoteric

Yeah it's good. Binge watching so I'm on ep 3.

Very good so far. Funny to see Billy out of Bread too. Last time I saw him was in Trollied.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 
Bad Girl

Urgh those poor firefighters just ... dissolving, in bed... Jesus Christ.

Plus, I didn’t realise that a “melt down” was so literal. Or devastating, in that fashion (probably because I hadn’t given it much thought) but science can be horrifying.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 

Satsuma wrote:

On the one hand I really want to watch this as I think it will be fascinating and really interesting to watch, but I also think it will likely scare the heck out of me and possibly leave me with anxiety issues that keep hitting me when I’m in the shower, or alone at home, so I’m sort of giving it a pass for that reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:41 

Satsuma wrote:
Plus, I didn’t realise that a “melt down” was so literal. Or devastating.

It's not even the worst thing that can happen. Very early reactors used pure uranium as fuel (all modern designs, including Chernobyl's RBMK reactor, use a ceramic uranium dioxygen compound.) A fun thing about uranium I didn't know until I worked with the stuff is that it's flammable. There's a disaster scenario where rather than melting down it catches fire while still also being supercritical...

I haven't watched Chernobyl yet. Dunno how that's gonna go for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 
Hello Hello Hello

Mimi wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

On the one hand I really want to watch this as I think it will be fascinating and really interesting to watch, but I also think it will likely scare the heck out of me and possibly leave me with anxiety issues that keep hitting me when I’m in the shower, or alone at home, so I’m sort of giving it a pass for that reason.

There could be an element of that Mimi, but as I understand it the flaws with Chernobyl were rectified for later RBMK designs and none of the Chernobyl era RBMK designs remain in active service. (There were some Chernobyl-style designs in the planning stage but they were, for somewhat obvious reasons, cancelled....)

As such I think you could watch it as a chilling historical piece without getting too worried about things in the present day.

It's quite a difficult watch in some regards though, the human cost is unsparingly made clear, I found it very upsetting in places.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:12 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's not even the worst thing that can happen. Very early reactors used pure uranium as fuel (all modern designs, including Chernobyl's RBMK reactor, use a ceramic uranium dioxygen compound.) A fun thing about uranium I didn't know until I worked with the stuff is that it's flammable. There's a disaster scenario where rather than melting down it catches fire while still also being supercritical...

Isn't this essentially what happened at Windscale in the 50s? When I was reading about that a couple of years ago I read about some filters that the plant's engineer had insisted were fitted to the various chimneys at the plant that, because they were there, massively reduced the amount of radioactive contamination that affected the area.

The plant beancounters argued tooth and nail against having the filters in place because they didn't think they were necessary, but the engineer refused to budge.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:32 

GazChap wrote:
Isn't this essentially what happened at Windscale in the 50s? When I was reading about that a couple of years ago I read about some filters that the plant's engineer had insisted were fitted to the various chimneys at the plant that, because they were there, massively reduced the amount of radioactive contamination that affected the area.
Yes, exactly that. It's the case study in why we don't use pure uranium in reactors any more.

Spoiler for people nervous about nuclear power:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
While refreshing my memory of Windscale, I just read that it released iodine 131 during the incident. I know a lot about this, because I co-wrote some documents about it for the "safety case" for one of the fuel cycles of Sizewell-B (the reactor in Suffolk.) Basically I had to run a load of computations and modelling to prove the amount of I-131 released from the fuel cells (but still trapped inside the fuel rod) would remain below some mandated limits. I-131 is, in some ways, one of the worst things that come out of a reactor breach: it's a gas, so can't be contained and quickly spreads over a very large area. And it's a beta emitter, so it's almost harmless outside the body but very toxic inside it. And it's iodine, so your body naturally stores it in your thyroid gland. Nasty stuff. They use very controlled doses of it to treat thyroid conditions. In the event of a breach, standard procedure is to drink pure chemical iodine to flush the radioactive isotope from your body; if you've ever smelled iodine you'll appreciate how foul that is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

There could be an element of that Mimi, but as I understand it the flaws with Chernobyl were rectified for later RBMK designs and none of the Chernobyl era RBMK designs remain in active service. (There were some Chernobyl-style designs in the planning stage but they were, for somewhat obvious reasons, cancelled....)

As such I think you could watch it as a chilling historical piece without getting too worried about things in the present day.

It's quite a difficult watch in some regards though, the human cost is unsparingly made clear, I found it very upsetting in places.

Conversely, I wouldn't recommend Mimi watches it. Logically you are correct, but logic and emotional response don't always go hand in hand.
It's a distressing programme to watch and could certainly be a trigger for anxiety. (all the more so if you think it will be a trigger, these things are often self-reinforcing...)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:45 

I'd agree with Trooper. I'm a big supporter of nuclear energy in general, but Fukushima proves that even modern-day reactors can have serious problems if the people that build them and look after them don't follow procedure, and whilst something on the scale of Chernobyl is vanishingly unlikely to happen again, I can completely understand why people get anxious about it.

Humans can be amazingly stupid when it comes to radiation though, check out radioactive quackery (particularly Radithor and the Revigator) and also the Goiania accident - both of these were caused by the people that should have known better doing the exact opposite of what they should have done (I'm not convinced that the radio quacks were completely clueless about the effects of radiation)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Trooper wrote:
Conversely, I wouldn't recommend Mimi watches it. Logically you are correct, but logic and emotional response don't always go hand in hand.
It's a distressing programme to watch and could certainly be a trigger for anxiety. (all the more so if you think it will be a trigger, these things are often self-reinforcing...)

I didn't actually recommend Mimi watch it, though. My point was that if she's concerned about 'Chernobyl happening again' then that shouldn't be a possibility, that was all. (And even there I caveat it as being 'chilling'.)

I also noted that I found it 'very upsetting', so not exactly light afternoon entertainment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:48 
Gogmagog

I don't worry about it at all, as I regularly travel on crowded trains, or drive a car, and live at home with unknown wiring issues

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 

MaliA wrote:
live at home with unknown wiring issues
that's no way to talk about your kids

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:45 
Esoteric

Satsuma wrote:
Urgh those poor firefighters just ... dissolving, in bed... Jesus Christ.

Plus, I didn’t realise that a “melt down” was so literal. Or devastating, in that fashion (probably because I hadn’t given it much thought) but science can be horrifying.

I got to that part shortly after I posted. Horrifying really. That was very hard to watch :(

Quick "on the keyboard" write up.

At first, as usual, my brain did not realise the seriousness of the situation I was watching. This is very common for me. I don't see risk very well and I usually don't respond to things I really should that are clearly dangerous. That is why I've broken nearly every bone in my body. From fingers, to hands, to arms and legs, etc. So I was all like "Oh look, it's tomato guy from Robocop !" and then slowly I began to realise this was not fantasy. And by the time they turned black I was almost in tears. Then it all hit home. See, like the riots in LA I was still pretty young when this happened. 12, I worked out. So it was just what we saw on the TV. Some smoke, "it's all under control" and etc. I was totally unprepared for what was going to happen. In fact, episodes 1 and 2 were about the most interesting thing I have watched in a very long time. Nerdish pornography if you will, because as much as I have read about it it's hard to actually visualise it. There's also an awful lot to learn here without needing to be a professor to understand it. You know, you read something like "And they died in horrible circumstances" and it's hard to see that they basically turned fucking black and most of their cells and their body was dead before they were.

Just truly, truly awful. I am going to stick it out now simply because it's amazing, but had I known what happened to those poor fuckers I doubt I would have watched it at all.

And those miners? fuck me, those are heroes. Hard as nails, and I must admit I LOLed when I saw them all walking around naked as the day they were born. Just absolute fucking legends the lot of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 13:11 

Hearthly wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I didn't actually recommend Mimi watch it, though. My point was that if she's concerned about 'Chernobyl happening again' then that shouldn't be a possibility, that was all. (And even there I caveat it as being 'chilling'.)

I also noted that I found it 'very upsetting', so not exactly light afternoon entertainment.

It’s not so much the fear of it happening again (which, though real in some degree at least, I know my watching will not prevent or cause) but I’d almost certainly turn the last moments and deaths of all those real life people over my head obsessively in quiet moments, and then think about their families, and it would just stay with me.

I was once sitting next to someone watching something on a computer screen and idly looked over. It was some young man on top of a train, perhaps in India, and anyway, he dies. It was just chance I looked over. It was worse because that wasn’t a dramatisation of a real event, but an actual human’s last moments. Must be... nine, ten years ago. Still it bothers me. Anyway, it genuinely sounds as good as it does chilling, but I’ll give it a wide berth, just in case. Plus, there’s plenty to watch nowadays. I think Killing Eve is back on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 13:16 
UltraMod

Is it as good as the Ade Edmondson one

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 13:23 

Don't think Ade Edmondson has ever been in an episode of Killing Eve?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 13:28 

Yeah, that’s Killing Ade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 13:43 
Esoteric

Mimi wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Trooper wrote:

It’s not so much the fear of it happening again (which, though real in some degree at least, I know my watching will not prevent or cause) but I’d almost certainly turn the last moments and deaths of all those real life people over my head obsessively in quiet moments, and then think about their families, and it would just stay with me.

I was once sitting next to someone watching something on a computer screen and idly looked over. It was some young man on top of a train, perhaps in India, and anyway, he dies. It was just chance I looked over. It was worse because that wasn’t a dramatisation of a real event, but an actual human’s last moments. Must be... nine, ten years ago. Still it bothers me. Anyway, it genuinely sounds as good as it does chilling, but I’ll give it a wide berth, just in case. Plus, there’s plenty to watch nowadays. I think Killing Eve is back on.

I remember watching that. It was pretty surreal.

I would avoid Chernobyl Mimi tbh. If I wasn't on the pills I am on there is no way I could deal with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 21:20 
Hello Hello Hello

Astounding final episode of Chernobyl, and I loved the way they brought the trial and events leading up to the explosion into a single narrative thread, very effective.

The scenes before the end credits were given incredible heft by everything that had gone before.

10/10 - Astonishingly good telly. So good that I will temporarily suspend my marking out of 1000 just for this programme.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 21:27 

It's certainly getting a lot of glowing reviews!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 21:28 
Decapodian

I’ve got about 20 minutes left but I can’t fault it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 21:29 
Esoteric

Aye that's the best thing I've seen in many a year.

Might even watch it again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 21:29 
Decapodian

markg wrote:
It's certainly getting a lot of glowing reviews!

The audience reaction is understandable.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:05 
Esoteric

Friend of mine pointed me to this docu. I will put it in spoilers with my text so that Mimi can avoid it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GTvaW34O0

Well worth a watch if you have seen the docu-series. It's pretty obvious those who wrote the docu-series did so with info from that docu. It also goes into the radiation spread and apparently we copped a pretty nice dose ourselves. The radiation maps are pretty scary, but may explain why there seems to be so much cancer around these days. You also (briefly) see the wounds. Green :(

I also found the part about the miners interesting. As of 2005 some were still alive and around 40 years old, yet all of them were disabled and had the function of an 80 year old.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:12 
8-Bit Champion

From 2014 on here : https://leatherbarrowa.exposure.co/chernobyl posted by Gazchap

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 63#p844063

And

https://twitter.com/caitlinmoran/status ... 5025567746

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:26 

Thank you, JC, that is incredibly thoughtful of you. I’ve had a night full of (unrelated) nightmares about my boy, so that bit of thoughtfulness in the morning is very welcome, especially as a reminder of how thoughtful humans can be :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 14:41 
INFINITE POWAH

Good Girls is great.

In other news, we are on series 2 of West Wing and yay Ainsley Hayes!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 18:28 
Decapodian

Unexploded politician is back on Netflix.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 13:28 
Bad Girl

Finished Chernobyl off and it was a great last episode and linked up to the prologue. It was top-tier television and if I had any complaints it was the animal extermination from the 4th episode became somewhat spurious without any pay off. I imagine it was supposed to show how the Russian public were used and spat out the other side, or perhaps the similarities between what happened and wartime conflicts, but we didn’t get to see much of the effect of what happened outside a single shot of a dead eyed soldier. Maybe that’s all that was needed perhaps.

Overall though it was compelling stuff.

Oh and the soundtrack was suuu-perb. It was just different sounding; haunting and creepy, I don’t know what instruments were used but it felt sort of Bladerunner-esq to me, perhaps? Not the future synth, just, the tone and feel of it? You know what I mean? Anyone? No? I’ve got too much of a headache to write good words but maybe later I’ll find gooder words that make Sat feels better wordier.

Reply to topic  [ 8658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 174  Next