Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 
Hibernating Druid

No sympathy at all. She's a self serving twat like the rest of them. She's left this country in a worse state than when she started, and it was fucked then!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:17 
Gogmagog

JohnCoffey wrote:
Felt quite sorry for treeza. Not quite sure why but yeah, quite emotional was that speech.

Nah, she can go fuck herself

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:18 
Unpossible!

MaliA wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Felt quite sorry for treeza. Not quite sure why but yeah, quite emotional was that speech.

Nah, she can go fuck herself

:this:

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:23 
Hello Hello Hello

Possibly the worst British prime minister ever, with a poisonous legacy that will last for generations.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/th ... 35556.html

Quote:
Next time you feel a twinge of sympathy for Theresa May, think of the Northern Irish LGBT+ people still denied equal marriage rights, or the women who have no access to legal abortion, all because she’s too scared to confront the DUP. Her twisted alliance with Northern Ireland’s unionist party – which now appears to have disintegrated anyway – cost £1bn at a time when food bank usage is at a record high and public services have been starved of cash. If May hadn’t called a general election to boost her own ego, then disastrously lost it, this alliance would not have been necessary.

Think about the gay Brexit whistleblower who was outed by Downing Street, only for May to stand by the adviser who did it. Think of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe – the mother locked in jail in Iran, whose sentence was prolonged by Boris Johnson’s sheer incompetence – only for May to refuse to sack him. Think of the images of May holding hands with Donald Trump and rolling out the red carpet for him, after refusing to condemn his attacks on London’s mayor Sadiq Khan.

Remember that as home secretary, May repeatedly stoked anti-immigrant sentiments which were weaponised during 2016’s EU referendum. She might have let Amber Rudd take the fall for the Windrush scandal, but she was the original architect of the “hostile environment” policy. As prime minister, she has never condemned right-wing press attacks that characterised her critics as “saboteurs” or even “enemies of the people”. She also supported the Conservatives standing alone in voting with Hungary’s anti-immigrant, antisemitic and homophobic far-right in Brussels.

May’s current predicament has been created by her insistence on governing solely for the 52 per cent and those who claim to represent them. As Jacob Rees-Mogg submits his letter of no confidence, followed by a slew of pro-Brexit Tories, May must wish she hadn’t given the Tory right’s poisonous weed such opportunity to grow.

Having promised "strong and stable" leadership, May has instead provided unending chaos. Her time in Downing Street will be remembered as a mixture of supreme incompetence partnered with moral bankruptcy and unrivalled spinelessness. At one of the most crucial points in British history, Mayism has turned out to be nothing but mayhem – so let’s save our sympathy for someone more deserving.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:24 
Hello Hello Hello

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2018/1 ... e-to-roost

Quote:
It is quite wrong to feel pity for her. Firstly, her current misery is of her own making. The deal is terrible because her red lines made any other outcome impossible. That is her responsibility. Secondly, she is still now lying with almost every word she utters. Her entire defence of the deal rests on the most grotesquely misleading characterisations of its contents and implications. Her every answer to any question is deliberately and instinctively evasive. She is a deception machine, a next-generation political mechanism which simply cannot be straight with people, whether it's negotiators in Brussels, MPs in parliament, or the public on the doorstep. The fact she is so unconvincing when lying does not remove the moral responsibility for having done so in the first place.

And now all the various inadequacies we've seen through the last couple of years have joined together to undermine any chance of success she might have had. It would be satisfying, on a moral level, if we were not all forced to suffer the consequences alongside her.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

That's my main feeling. She ruined her own premiership by refusing to entertain flexibility on moronic rules entirely of her own making, and took the country with her. Her personal politics is bigoted and vile. She was party before country the entire time and justly deserves to be remembered as among the worst Prime Ministers this country has ever had.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:36 
Prince of Fops

But the dance. THE DANCE LOLZORS.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 13:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also I had £50 on at 14/1 that her last day would be during May, and what she takes a week to pack up her desk? Fuck her.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 13:11 
Esoteric

I'm such a soft touch *sigh*

Fuck it, ding dong etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 13:28 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
I'm such a soft touch *sigh*

Fuck it, ding dong etc.

No one's having a go JC, it's very laudable that you can find it in yourself to feel sympathy for her, we're just saying she isn't worth your sympathy.

For what the Tories did to disabled people, disregarding everything else, they can fuck off right into the sun as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 13:55 
Esoteric

Yeah it's been tough for me I won't lie. I've not seen my psych since January and they cancelled my appointment last week.

Not good really and certainly not good enough. I got some inside info from my trust social worker and she says he's quit (my psych) so that's him and my social worker who has quit but they lie to me saying he's on leave.

It's a pretty shit state of affairs.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 14:32 

Hearthly wrote:
Possibly the worst British prime minister ever, with a poisonous legacy that will last for generations.

BoJo: “hold my beer.”

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:38 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

BoJo: “hold my Chateau Lafite 1787.”

FTFY

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 0:09 
chewbacca -future arc welder

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng ... parliament
Uh oh

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 0:09 

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 0:14 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's in no way an unexpected result though. The Brexit Party vote is directly a combination of the total collapse of UKIP and a massive defection from the Tories. There's no indication they've actually organically built any kind of voter base.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 1:47 
Can you dig it?

Cras wrote:
It's in no way an unexpected result though. The Brexit Party vote is directly a combination of the total collapse of UKIP and a massive defection from the Tories. There's no indication they've actually organically built any kind of voter base.

Yeah but winners are grinners baby! which is how I expect this to be presented and, sadly, it will be swallowed as such by many.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think you're absolutely right.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:25 

I was really upset about the result last night, but I remembered that, as you say, this was exactly as predicted. In W Midlands they’d predicted a fairly safe bet of 1 LD seat, with another anti-Brexiteer seat possible for Greens if people voted tactically. I voted Green because that’s who I wanted to put my vote behind, but it was good to know it was backed up by the tactical voting, and tge greens did indeed get a seat.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:14 

At least Tommy Yaxley-Hitler lost his deposit. Pleasantly surprised that he didn't do a lot better.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:18 
Gogmagog

At least labour can sit back and spend time considering where it went very wrong and what they can do about it with a strong position.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status ... 9102610432

Oh.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:20 
Decapodian

Unsurprisingly, this doesn’t do much to clear up Brexit.
All the Leave support has moved from UKIP to Mr Toad’s new home, and the parties with a clear remain message got slightly more votes leaving the indecisive parties to hoover up the rest.

You can read what you want into that but I’m pleased to see I helped elect a Green MEP.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:39 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

You can read what you want into that but I’m pleased to see I helped elect a Green MEP.

This is what I’m taking away from it, too.

I was surprised at how similar the pattern was over England, with the exception of London. Almost 3 Brexit Party MEPs per region, depending on region size.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:01 
Gogmagog

The 4 R's of MaliA:

Revoke A50 - gives UK time to..

Replan - a way to leave EU to UK's advantage. Input from all welcome.

Referendum - on this agreed plan. Nobody can say they weren't asked.

Remain - wins the referendum and we live happily, prosperously and with more friends.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 
Noob as of 6/8/10

MaliA wrote:
The 4 R's of MaliA:

Remain - wins the referendum and we live happily, prosperously and with more friends.

It’s a nice thought, but such a lot of damage has already been done, that even if a new referendum does take place and reverses the result of the first one, it’ll be a long time before a lot of that mess can be undone. Some of it may never be fixed. And let’s not forget the possibility of civil unrest by the knuckle dragging elements of the leave supporters. It could get very nasty.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:43 
Noob as of 6/8/10

markg wrote:
At least Tommy Yaxley-Hitler lost his deposit. Pleasantly surprised that he didn't do a lot better.

:this: :this: :this: :this: :this: very much :this:

Maybe his supporters couldn’t read his name on the ballot papers, or couldn’t spell “X”

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:43 
Gogmagog

Warhead wrote:
MaliA wrote:
The 4 R's of MaliA:

It’s a nice thought, but such a lot of damage has already been done, that even if a new referendum does take place and reverses the result of the first one, it’ll be a long time before a lot of that mess can be undone. Some of it may never be fixed. And let’s not forget the possibility of civil unrest by the knuckle dragging elements of the leave supporters. It could get very nasty.

There will be no civil unrest. It's a a cowardly threat from some quarters, backed up by nothing

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:44 
UltraMod

Not very scientific, but adding vote share of Con, Brexit, UKIP and half of Labour (to show their split between Leave and Remain voters) equals 51%.

Adding Lib Dem, Green and half of Labour together makes 49%.

I’m not sure these elections show anything new—we’re still a very divided nation.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 
UltraMod

markg wrote:

Still 38k idiots in the northwest though. I too thought there were a lot more. ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:59 
Rude Belittler

Vimes had once discussed the Ephebian idea of ‘democracy’ with Carrot, and had been rather interested in the idea that everyone had a vote until he found out that while he, Vimes, would have a vote, there was no way in the rules that anyone could prevent Nobby Nobbs from having one as well. Vimes could see the flaw there straight away. - Terry Pratchett "Fifth Elephant"

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:10 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Mr Chonks wrote:
markg wrote:

Still 38k idiots in the northwest though. I too thought there were a lot more. ;)

MaliA wrote:
Warhead wrote:
MaliA wrote:
The 4 R's of MaliA:

There will be no civil unrest. It's a a cowardly threat from some quarters, backed up by nothing

[Edit] I really hope you’re right, but .... [/edit]
Just 1% of 38k could cause a disproportionate amount of civil unrest, and then random elements may join in because it gives them another excuse to riot. Escalation of events following fatal police shooting of Mark Duggan in 2011 resulted in just such a disproportionate unrest, so I wouldn’t rule it out entirely

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:55 

https://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishPeople ... urce=share

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 13:40 
UltraMod

krazywookie wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishPeopleTwitter/comments/btr5t1/scotland_has_turned_into_the_designated_driver/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

@Bamba start looking for 3-4 bed semis in your area plz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 13:57 
Excellent Member

Mr Chonks wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishPeopleTwitter/comments/btr5t1/scotland_has_turned_into_the_designated_driver/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

@Bamba start looking for 3-4 bed semis in your area plz

Can do!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

krazywookie wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:20 

Kern wrote:
The Constitution Unit at UCL have published a handy primer on the European elections and how the voting system works if you like that sort of thing.

And Dr Renwick has written a short follow-up on the proportionality of the results and how d'Hondt hurt the Remain parties more.

Quote:
As expected, the D’Hondt system with relatively small electoral regions overrepresented the larger parties – particularly the Brexit Party and to a lesser extent the Liberal Democrats – while underrepresenting the small parties that lack a geographically concentrated base. Crucially in the current context, this meant that the combined seat haul of the five hard Remain parties (Liberal Democrats, Greens, Change UK, SNP, and Plaid Cymru) was two below the total for the hard Leave parties (the Brexit Party and UKIP), even though the former won more votes/

I hope he updates his 2014 model of Eurovison someday.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:09 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

BoJo: “hold my beer.”

:DD :DD

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:23 

About the only silver lining to the thought of the ghastly Mr Johnson becoming prime minister would be the sense of glee I'd have on his removal from office (either by the party or at an election). Alas, as with Donald Trump, I don't think he has the requiste self-awareness to take responsibility for his failures.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:27 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
About the only silver lining to the thought of the ghastly Mr Johnson becoming prime minister would be the sense of glee I'd have on his removal from office (either by the party or at an election). Alas, as with Donald Trump, I don't think he has the requiste self-awareness to take responsibility for his failures.

He might do, after he bobs into court over that £350MM business

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:52 

Kern wrote:
About the only silver lining to the thought of the ghastly Mr Johnson becoming prime minister would be the sense of glee I'd have on his removal from office (either by the party or at an election).

Or -- most exquisitely -- by losing a HoC vote of confidence the day after becoming PM. I don't think it's likely. But if it happened, I'd be laughing for days.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:54 

MaliA wrote:
He might do, after he bobs into court over that £350MM business

Yes, that one will be fun. Not sure how far it's likely to go, or if it's healthy for every rash statement in every campaign to be tested in the courts, but he certainly shouldn't be made to forget it. But then, if you don't think he's an utterly dishonest and self-centred fop by now, you probably never will.

Reminds me: I need to check how many extra incubators the army got after we rejected AV in 2011.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:56 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Kern wrote:
About the only silver lining to the thought of the ghastly Mr Johnson becoming prime minister would be the sense of glee I'd have on his removal from office (either by the party or at an election).

Or -- most exquisitely -- by losing a HoC vote of confidence the day after becoming PM. I don't think it's likely. But if it happened, I'd be laughing for days.

Hehe. Yes, very much so.

And given how we know how much respect Theresa May has for the Queen (has anyone ever courtsied lower?), the Palace probably wouldn't be too happy about it either.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:01 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Hmm... with current arithmetic I'm not sure the HoC could pass the vote of confidence motion within the two-week deadline manadated by the Fixed-Term Parliament Act if no-confidence is won. Expect the DUP to be given a lot of [extra investment in a really deprived area of the UK that does not currently have a functioning devolved government - Ed.].

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:06 

Kern wrote:
Yes, that one will be fun. Not sure how far it's likely to go, or if it's healthy for every rash statement in every campaign to be tested in the courts

These excerpts from the judgment are clear that the judge applied a very high standard to the evidence before reaching their conclusions. I'm OK with it.

https://twitter.com/charlesarthur/statu ... 6660238336

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:07 

Kern wrote:
Hmm... with current arithmetic I'm not sure the HoC could pass the vote of confidence motion within the two-week deadline manadated by the Fixed-Term Parliament Act if no-confidence is won.

Depends how many #neverboris Tories are prepared to walk the walk and rebel on a confidence vote, I'd say. It seems unlikely. But my god, it would be delicious.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:10 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Side note - the favourite hasn't won a Tory leadership election in over forty years.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 14:10 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Quote:
Inside the unique crowdfunded court case against Boris Johnson

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/boris-j ... endum-vote

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 20:55 
Decapodian

Cras wrote:
krazywookie wrote:

Brexcellent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 14:57 
Gogmagog

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/ ... 4818746368

Well..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I've signed three petitions against the NHS being included in any trade deals with the US. If he wants to have a look at how a public health service can work (even if it IS in trouble these days and not that he'd understand it) I have no problem with that, but as far as a trade deal is concerned, he can fuck right off.

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 131  Next