Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Game Of Thrones (TV)
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:07 
Unpossible!

Poisoned Starbucks

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:31 

I always wondered about the risks people took in naming children after characters with as get unfinished plots. A bit of a risk.

Also, am I the only person who doesn’t like the character of Arya? She just seems like a bit of a smart arse, and seems driven not for good or some overarching morals, but very personal revenge. Yes, she’s had a few good choreographed stunts, but I don’t like her very much. Or her sister. I used to like Danaerys but now she’s gone evil, her friend who is now dead. I don’t think I actually like anybody any more. Jon Snow seems nice, but I find it hard to believe he’s somehow alive when he just stands around surprised by everything.

I’ve run out of people to cheer for.

I actually found a lot of this episode very difficult to watch and turned away for about 1/3 of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Arya is fucking great. Except when she's just dodging buildings.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:35 
Gogmagog

Aarghh is a personal favourite as she is driven by revenge and hatred and that is the best kind of motivation.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:36 
Gogmagog

Cras wrote:
Well that's nonsense. Her signal was torching the golden company, at which point everyone charged, completely according to plan. Then, after they had won, she went mental and cooked a city of innocents for no apparent reason.

So no, not in any way cooked up in advance.

No, that was the other signal. She directed the "wait for the sign" just at grey worm.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:48 

Cras wrote:

Why is she great, though? I don’t know why people think she’s a great character and nobody seems to explain why they like her.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes. The sign was the destruction of the Golden Company. You can tell that was the sign because it was the point at which Grey Worm stopped waiting and charged the city. He waited. Sign. He attacked.

Then the Lannisters surrendered. Then she went mental.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:50 

MaliA wrote:
Aarghh is a personal favourite as she is driven by revenge and hatred and that is the best kind of motivation.

Well, that’s why I don’t like her. Also she just seems a bit of a wise arse. I think the best bit about her was her relationship with the big guy with the burns.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 22:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:
Cras wrote:

Why is she great, though? I don’t know why people think she’s a great character and nobody hiseems to explain why they like her.

She got unbelievably shat on for three series straight. Her response to this was to decide that she wasn't having it any more, and she would find away of dealing with all these awful people on her own. And she was a 14 year old girl in a society that tells 14 year old girls they are worth nothing until they can be married off to someone.

And yes, her relationship with The Hound was character-defining for both of them.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 0:31 
Sleepyhead

Also she’s a bad-ass.

As is Sansa, in a different way. Don’t mess with the remaining Stark kids.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 

I don’t buy any of that. She didn’t seek to make anything right in a wider context. She didn’t want to kill those people because it would make a difference to the world or other people, she just wanted revenge. If she’d targeted the people that were using evil to control then far fewer people would have died. Being a ‘badass’ isn’t necessarily a good trait unless you use it for good.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:42 
Unpossible!

Ultimately, she's the baddie. The best thing the show has done is made us root for the Big Bad for 8 years, before making us hate her in the end. Stretched over more episodes, it would have been masterful

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:10 

DavPaz wrote:
Ultimately, she's the baddie. The best thing the show has done is made us root for the Big Bad for 8 years, before making us hate her in the end. Stretched over more episodes, it would have been masterful

Arya or Danaerys?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Arya or Danaerys?

Danny V I think he means. Aarghh has become aargh, and has sorted her own stuff out as best she can to survive and found a niche. A face wearing, stabby niche, but it is a dying

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:17 
Gogmagog

Regarding Danny V she is lady Macbeth in many ways, in that her attempts to rise to the top in such a biased will be thwarted by the ambitions of the men around her and then the narrative arcs against her. Hers is a tragedy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:53 

I once wrote a 25 page essay analysing the decline in Lady MacBeth’s moral character throughout the play and let me say: wtf she’s not the protagonist Mali

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 
Gogmagog

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I once wrote a 25 page essay analysing the decline in Lady MacBeth’s moral character throughout the play and let me say: wtf she’s not the protagonist Mali

Gaslighted by the patriarchy, mate.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 17:05 
Rude Belittler

Grim... wrote:
As does Rikishi running over Austin.

See also: Austin turning heel and joining Triple H, who ordered Rikishi to run over Austin and Austin had previously tried to (wrestling) murder with a forklift.

Oh and the whole Higher Power thing, where Vince turned face to team up with Austin to combat the Corporate Ministry, and then immediately turned heel again to reveal that , yes he was the Higher Power that controlled the Corporate Ministry, despite the fact that it was impossible for that to be the case.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 23:16 

This is an excellent analysis of the shift in writing that GoT has had since they ran out of book content to base it on. I hadn’t thought of this angle but it makes a good case.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... f-thrones/

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 18:15 

SPOILERS INCOMING

(Courtesy of Mr Pokee, who is now Herbie, as Mr Pokee died, and who everyone should follow on IG as he’s super cute) https://instagram.com/mr.pokee?igshid=10xcedb16n1fx

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:25 

No fewer than four times today have I seen people posting the main GOT spoiler. Basically the winner(s) (not telling YOU whether it’s one or more).

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:27 
Paws for thought

Mimi wrote:
No fewer than four times today have I seen people posting the main GOT spoiler. Basically the winner(s) (not telling YOU whether it’s one or more).

Hot Pie. It was certainly out of left field.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 
Isn't that lovely?

Mimi wrote:

And that's why I watched it live. Idiot that I am.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 

Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I just don’t think I could do that. Watching Eurovision made me feel like a zombie yesterday

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 
Isn't that lovely?

Mimi wrote:
Malc wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I just don’t think I could do that. Watching Eurovision made me feel like a zombie yesterday

I'm pretty tired to be honest.

I went to bed at 23:00 set an alarm for 01:45 and then went back to bed at 04:00, finally waking up at 05:45. I did not get to sleep straight away either time. I don't know exactly how much sleep I had, as I've just realised my fitbit has not been synching with my phone and it hasn't sent that data across now I have relinked them.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:03 
SavyGamer

I was not particularly satisfied by that conclusion.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:10 
Gogmagog

All done. Really liked it.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 
Bad Girl

Not sure what to think, to be honest.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 14:54 
Sleepyhead

I thought:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It had a good stab at ending things - I don't think there was a choice that would satisfy everyone. It was all (apart from the death) pretty anticlimactic in a way, with the real shocks and drama/carnage all coming in the week before.

I thought the volume of Unsullied and Dothraki was surprisingly high. I mean, it's probably the number that there should have been, but I don't think we've seen that many together since they got the boats over to Westeros, and over half of them have died since then. Also, how loud is Dany's voice that they can hear her? But that's largely superficial.

Surprised Arya didn't have much to do. I guess her main job was to off the Night's King, but I thought it was strongly hinting she had more to do, especially with the whole death/pale horse thing.

Sam suggested they move to a democracy and then getting laughed at was very funny. As was Sansa's put-down of her uncle.

In terms of endings for people:

Sansa - YES! Queen in the North and the break-up of the 7 kingdoms. That was cool.

Jon - Yeah, that works. He gets to be free and live with the Free Folk, where he can mope to his heart's content.

Arya - Okay I guess. Can't really think of anything off the top of my head which would have been better, since she's not suited to ruling or staying in one place any more. Would happily watch a spin-off of Arya the Explorer.

Bronn - YES! YES! YES! He got his castle and is now one of the most powerful people in Westeros! The final small council scene was brilliant (apart from Sam's wanky book, which was cringe).

Bran - Makes sense after Tyrion's speech. He had been the favourite with the bookies, which I couldn't really see, but I guess he's pragmatic enough and won't be doing anything mad, and he had to be useful for *something*.

Dany - lol.

Davos, Brienne and Pod - Yes!

Overall, I really did like season 8, but it probably was a little short, and they could probably have accomplished a little more with the same time if they had gone lighter on lingering shots of Arya and the horse. Last episode was always going to have to have an exposition dump at the end to stop people moaning about loose ends.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 15:35 
Gogmagog

I agree with Curio.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 19:28 
Excellent Member

It was good. Not perfect, but good. On the whole though seasons 7 and 8 mostly sucked.

Methinks it's time to start my first re-watch from my Blu-rays - S01E01 here I come!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 20:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I thoroughly enjoyed that.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 21:01 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm willing to bet the bookies didn't have "I once took a honeycomb and a jackass into a brothel" as the last line of dialogue in the whole damned thing.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 21:10 
Sleepyhead

Cras wrote:
I thoroughly enjoyed that.

:doctor shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 21:21 
Bad Girl

I just feel empty.

I’m afraid it was, for want of a better word, boring after Dany. I thought it might actually go for a Return to the Shire but they went with Return of the King boarding a boat nonsense.

So much was call backs to previous seasons and repeating previous lines that were so heavy handed they might have well been delivered by Euron winking at the camera and elbowing you in the sides going “Were you paying attention, aye, thingy said that in season 1, aye, and remember when thingy said that other thing, aye, Aye, AYE.” But if that isn’t enough you’ve got to bring people in for little bit parts to gurn away. Oh look it’s Pod! He’s a Knight! Oh look it’s fucking Bronn and he’s Master of Coin for some reason. Remember Bronn did you!? It was like they’d forgot the obligatory celebration event in a sister programme after the main show (which they had) where they bring the cast in and interview them, so they wheel them out for 40 minutes of “Westerosi where are they now?”

And was Dany wasn’t “mad” after all. Or was she!? She certainly wasn’t mental. Instead she went for the third option full on fucking nazi instead, for whatever reason. And if the analogy was missed then you’ve got the lines of stormtroopers lined up to hammer it home like using a fucking Gravity Hammer to crack a nut.

Ok, I’m formed an opinion, I didn’t hate it but it wasn’t good either.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 21:54 

Yeah it certainly wasn't amazing.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:16 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
My ending prediction: face-off between Jon and Daenerys. Daenerys tells Drogon to burn Jon. Drogon refuses and sides with Jon. This final rejection and betrayal either drives Daenerys over the edge into insanity and someone (Jon or Arya being likely candidates) have to kill her. Or she has a moment of clarity, recognises she is turning into her father, and kills herself to escape madness. Jon tells Drogon to melt the Iron Throne [1], finally breaking the wheel. He institutes some sort of ruling coalition of the leaders of the great houses. Sansa or Tyrion for "prime minister" of that.

[1] the carnage at the Red Keep has helpfully destroyed the throne room but left the throne in the open air, so they can get a dragon to it.

Pretty pleased with that.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:27 
Hibernating Druid

It’s ended.

Looking forward to the Arya goes west spin off.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:29 
Unpossible!

Thank the Gods it's finished!

Queen in Da Norf!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:31 

He petted his wolf. They really had everyone going with that one!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:33 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:
It’s ended.

I'm pissed that the Iron Islands is on the west side of Westeros, is populated by raiders who can build a thousand ships in a week even though their island has no trees, and not one of them apparently has ever considered sailing out of port and turning left.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:34 

I suppose they might have done but none of them ever made it back.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:37 
Hibernating Druid

Cras wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
It’s ended.

I'm pissed that the Iron Islands is on the west side of Westeros, is populated by raiders who can build a thousand ships in a week even though their island has no trees, and not one of them apparently has ever considered sailing out of port and turning left.

This will be covered in: ‘Better Call Bronn’

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 22:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

markg wrote:

Okay but they're really good at it and Arya's been on a boat like twice.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 23:09 

I found the ending frustrating.

Sansa’s ‘but nooooo, I want to be queen toooooo’ just. Ugh.

Giant knight lady bigging up Jaime’s record in the big book of lords like some rogue Wikipedia editor was the best bit of the episode.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 23:20 

Cras wrote:
markg wrote:

Okay but they're really good at it and Arya's been on a boat like twice.

Should have taken Gendry, who presumably circumnavigated the globe during his four missing seasons in a row boat.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 23:26 
Hibernating Druid

Dragon flies up t’North. Hocus Pocus shit to bring Dani back as White Walker, kills Jon first, sweeps back down the lands leaving only Bronn safe in his big ass castle. Emo king sends for Arya who comes straight back after several brutal murders and kills everyone else. It’s so obvious.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 23:43 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just finished watching it and I'm happy with all that. Time for bed.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I liked it. "Master of Coin and Lord of Lofty Titles" was the best line in it for me.

I liked that the whole thing started and ended with Bran. I liked that Briene was in it. I liked Bronn getting his castle and so much more. I liked that Jon Snurrr got sent back to the Night's Watch. I like that Podrick was knighted. I liked that I watched it in a cinema.

I'm wondering what the Dothraki did, though.

When they pulled the book out I thought one of them was going to make a comment like "I bet he never finished it".

I think I'm going to watch the whole show again.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:13 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
I found the ending frustrating.

Sansa’s ‘but nooooo, I want to be queen toooooo’ just. Ugh.

Giant knight lady bigging up Jaime’s record in the big book of lords like some rogue Wikipedia editor was the best bit of the episode.

I thought Sansa finally has come good these past few episodes,and her pushing back against the throne and getting the north to stand on its own again was superb.

Totally agree about Brienne, although it would have been lovely for her to have found someone had already begun her wntey.

Reply to topic  [ 2266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next