Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 149  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'NAY!' Thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 18:37 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Mimi wrote:
That’s such bad news. Hopefully the symptoms are turning a corner. Hopefully you’ll be able to make it up by extending Christmas a few more days when you’re back.

Aran is such a beautiful name.

And such beautiful sweaters

She'll be fine, just praying for a short convalescence and not some extended nightmare. She's been so looking forward to getting off work because she utterly, utterly despises her job and then this happens pretty much straight away. I think the feeling of "the time off I've been so looking forward to is being burned out from under me" was very much the root of how upset she was today.

And it's weird actually, there's like three specifically Aran sweater selling shops appeared in Glasgow since we started going out. It's become a running joke obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 15:28 
Unpossible!

Back down to one support technician for the whole university today. Hope nothing important comes up while I'm unblocking a paper jam or switching on a projector for an overeducated moron.

But seriously. One fucking support technician for hundreds of staff and thousands of students. How the fuck has this been allowed to happen!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 15:33 
Soopah red DS

DavPaz wrote:
Back down to one support technician for the whole university today. Hope nothing important comes up while I'm unblocking a paper jam or switching on a projector for an overeducated moron.

But seriously. One fucking support technician for hundreds of staff and thousands of students. How the fuck has this been allowed to happen!?

Is it going to get worse? Kent are planning to lay off 4-500 people, do you have the same axe hanging over you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 15:40 
Unpossible!

JBR wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Is it going to get worse? Kent are planning to lay off 4-500 people, do you have the same axe hanging over you?

I don't think so. We technically have a budget surplus but the VC is holding onto it until the tuition fees review takes place. If the fees are cut then we might start to see some severe cutbacks.

Our staffing problems have been caused by a combination of long-term sickness, family issues and a director who's managed to alienate some staff enough for them to jump ship. I'm staying outwardly positive but things are starting to suffer. FUN TIMES

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 22:22 
Soopah red DS

That's still not good, but long term might not be as bad. Fingers crossed for you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:07 
Sitting balls-back folder

This is particularly morbid, so probably don't read it.

My step dad died today. I can't get the smell of death off me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:02 
Unpossible!

Mate, I'm so sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 

So sorry to hear that. Hopefully when the immediacy passes that feeling will fade x

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:21 

Deepest sympathies.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 
Hibernating Druid

Sorry to hear this, sympathies to you and your family, Bik.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 
Gogmagog

Sorry to hear of that, mate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:55 
Excellent Painter

Sorry to hear that

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 13:29 
Sitting balls-back folder

Thanks everyone.

Sorry about Drink And Interneting on you all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 14:40 
Excellent Member

Fucking shit cunts. I move out of my flat in four weeks--all being well--and I'm leaving the white goods because fuck it and because the buyer requested them. So what happens literally two minutes ago? Part way through a spin cycle my previously problem-free washing machine starts making the most horrendous noise and I'm pretty sure something's come loose inside it. The worst thing is that my kitchen is tiny and it's wedged into a corner so I'll need to take one of the kitchen units out even for someone to look at it. And if it's properly fucked I'll need to buy a new washing machine for the sake of about the last three weeks in this place.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 15:17 

Couldn't you just use laundrapp or something for the last few weeks, and tell the buyer "it broke" and if they bend your arm give them a few quid compensation?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 15:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or get a second hand one.

If you're lucky you left a bolt in some pocket or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 16:21 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Couldn't you just use laundrapp or something for the last few weeks, and tell the buyer "it broke" and if they bend your arm give them a few quid compensation?

Working white goods are part of the offer they made so they'd 100% absolutely come back to me the instant they found out and then it's all hassle through lawyers; who needs that? I've got a mate coming round to look at it--though given the bits of melted looking plastic that were in with the clothes when I emptied it I suspect it's very fucked--and worst case scenario Argos will apparently deliver and fit a new one, and take the old one away, for a few hundred quid. Not ideal, but not horrendous either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 16:22 

As a buyer, if you told me this and gave me the choice, I'd say "sure, it's not worth anything anyway, give me a few hundred quid and I'll buy a nice one of my own choosing instead of inheriting yours." I don't think you have anything to lose by asking them. Just say "the bloody machine's broke, I'm happy to replace it if you want or would you rather source one of your own?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 16:23 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
As a buyer, if you told me this and gave me the choice, I'd say "sure, it's not worth anything anyway, give me a few hundred quid and I'll buy a nice one of my own choosing instead of inheriting yours." I don't think you have anything to lose by asking them. Just say "the bloody machine's broke, I'm happy to replace it if you want or would you rather source one of your own?"

Very much this.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 16:32 
Excellent Member

See I kind of thought I'd be more in control if I bought a replacement myself as then I can get the cheapest one possible, no? If I ask them the question they might come back wanting money for something pricier and then we're off to the races.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 16:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

"had to pour one out for the washer yesterday, homie. It's gon cost man 200 bucks to get a new one, you down wid that, or you just want the green, blood?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 17:12 

Bamba wrote:
See I kind of thought I'd be more in control if I bought a replacement myself as then I can get the cheapest one possible, no? If I ask them the question they might come back wanting money for something pricier and then we're off to the races.

Presumably they're only entitled to a machine that is of a similar value to the one that you've got in there at the moment, as that's what they saw and agreed to.

No harm in asking 'em anyway, better that than ending up a few hundred quid out of pocket unnecessarily.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 17:13 
UltraMod

The owner of my last flat left a shitty cheap washer that I immediately removed and replaced with something better. You might be just throwing money away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 18:33 
Gogmagog

My left ball has been swollen and painful since sunday. I think I wore the wrong underpants when I went for a run or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 19:24 

MaliA wrote:
My left ball has been swollen and painful since sunday. I think I wore the wrong underpants when I went for a run or something.

Get it checked over. You don’t want testicular torsion...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 19:30 
Bad Girl

I had that.

You don’t want that.

Now my ball is sown to my bag.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 21:46 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Satsuma wrote:
I had that.

You don’t want that.

Now my ball is sown to my bag.

Bag for life?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 22:52 
Excellent Painter

I’m in Wales for the week at my mothers. I’m here to fix the leaking garage roof. The roof is 7m x 7m and whoever did it last just painted it with tar. I can fix this but it will be tedious for many reasons I won’t bore you with.
The NAY is I forgot to bring my Switch!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 17:35 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Get it checked over. You don’t want testicular torsion...

Well, I had a slightly better Monday morning than the doctor did. She has referred me.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:57 
sneering elitist

Just found out a chap I've known on twitter for years has taken his own life AND grumpy cat has died.

Shit day. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 13:06 

Jem wrote:
Just found out a chap I've known on twitter for years has taken his own life AND grumpy cat has died.

Shit day. :(

So sorry, Jem. That’s a difficult and shocking thing to find out about a friend. Saw the grumpy cat story, too.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 16:21 

Found out early this morning that a chap on my shooting team died suddenly of a heart attack yesterday :( He was only in his late 40s.

No bloody age.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:04 
Hibernating Druid

Sorry to hear that.

It's a good idea to go for your 40+ MOT at your GPs, I didn't but was lucky.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 15:47 
Excellent Member

Assuming nothing derails the process I'll be buying a new flat on Friday. Which is a yay in itself, but part of the process has become an irritating nay. As part of it I'll need to transfer just short of £30k to my lawyers. However, the daily transfer limit my bank will allow is £25K. I phoned them to see how we work round this and the response was that it'll need to be a CHAPS payment which will cost me £25, and have to be done in an actual branch. So I'll need to take time out of work to queue up at a branch and then pay £25 for the privilege of moving my own money around. If this was some kind of legal limit or whatever then fine, but a Google search shows that, for instance, Clydesdale and Lloyds both have daily limits greater than the amount I need to move. So BoS have set up an arbitrary limitation and want to charge me money to solve the problem they've created. I don't know if it's just the feeling of yet another party joining in the fun of nickel and dimeing me over this house move but I'm fucking raging about the whole thing and the chance of me keeping my temper when forced to go through this fucking bullshit doesn't seem high. I did ask my lawyer if I could transfer some of the money today and they agreed...IF I provided yet more screenshots, statements and nonsense in time (bearing in mind they only told me of these new requirements today). And, of course, it turns out I can't due to limitations of the online banking system provided by the very same cunts looking to scam me out of this £25. Fucking hell.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 15:54 
ugvm'er at heart...

First I've heard that a chaps payment must be done in branch? Thinking about it though, all my chaps payments in the past have been arranged by the lawyers, using funds they already had, so I don't think I've ever actually done one myself.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:06 

So that's a charge of around 0.08%?

I can understand the principle of the thing, and in fact I went through it twice over when I bought my house (Natwest have the same limit and I had to make two CHAPS transfers due to having incoming money landing in my account at different times.) But surely it's not worth getting upset about.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:16 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
So that's a charge of around 0.08%?

I can understand the principle of the thing, and in fact I went through it twice over when I bought my house (Natwest have the same limit and I had to make two CHAPS transfers due to having incoming money landing in my account at different times.) But surely it's not worth getting upset about.

It's almost certainly just the fact that it's coming in right at the end of a process that started six months ago and has been filled with things that aren't worth getting upset about in and of themselves but that have taken a psychological toll overall. I'm also slightly stressed by the requirement of it because apparently you need a passport to use as ID, and there's a horrifying chance it's in storage and not really accessible. Basically, I could massively do without this extra bullshit at this point in the proceedings especially, which is no doubt causing me to over-react. It turns out though that that knowledge in itself doesn't nothing for my mental state.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:26 

A driving licence should be acceptable as ID, surely? Given that a driving licence has an address on it and a passport doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:32 
Excellent Member

GazChap wrote:
A driving licence should be acceptable as ID, surely? Given that a driving licence has an address on it and a passport doesn't.

Indeed, but as I haven't driven in over ten years the address on my driving license is two houses ago which I imagine will invalidate it for that purpose.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:41 
Hibernating Druid

House selling / buying is unnecessarily stressful, good luck with the rest of the proceedings, Bamba.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 16:45 
UltraMod

I tell you what is a nay and is costing me money and sanity is the fact I’ve been trying to remortgage for three months.

My 2-year fixed deal came to an end on 30 April and about six weeks prior my broker advised I switched to an interest-only mortgage for two years and overpay on my loan with difference (I’d be saving about £200 a month).

We went through the whole rigmarole of applying and I was accepted, but a week before I was due to drop onto my current provider’s SVR, the solicitors told me they needed proof of my selective licence as Nottingham City is an area that requires one.

The problem being is that despite applying 10 months ago, no one has been sent even a draft licence yet. So I’ve spent the last five weeks battling between my letting agent, broker, solicitor and council to get this fucking licence so I can move off the SVR which is almost double what I was paying on my fixed deal.

I was told I’d have it at the very latest yesterday and it’s still not appeared. I am very close to flipping a table and putting the flat up for sale.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 18:40 
Soopah red DS

That is a right pain, Bamba. This is of no help now, but there are many times (separated over many years; this isn't a regular thing, admittedly) when I've been glad to have more than one current account. Might be worth having a spare.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 15:00 
Excellent Member

Just to follow up my rantings above, I did eventually get it sorted. It ended up I could've sent more than the limit (up to £100k in fact) direct from the branch without CHAPS fees, but I'd have needed either a passport or up to date driving license; neither of which I currently have accessible to me. Yesterday my online banking still hadn't updated to show something it needed to but the solicitor came up with an alternative that allowed me to prove stuff to their satisfaction. At that point I sent over £25k to them, followed by the balance of what they needed first thing this morning. I suspect if my actual lawyer knew that the full amount wasn't going to be lodged with them by close of play Thursday she'd have had a fit, but I was dealing with some minion who didn't care (and likely didn't even know the potential impact). By the time all the stuff was due to go through all the cash must've landed with them because it all finalised without any further bullshit. Phew!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 15:09 
UltraMod

You don’t have a valid passport?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 15:26 
Excellent Member

Mr Chonks wrote:
You don’t have a valid passport?

I do in general but, because I'm a fucking idiot, it got packed away with my stuff that's currently in storage (because why would you need important id when you're about to execute two massive financial transactions right?). I'll get it back tomorrow when the removal guys bring all that stuff to the new flat.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 15:50 
UltraMod

I’m starting to have less sympathy. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 16:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fewer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:55 
Unpossible!

Just been told that the house that we rent out (because we couldn't sell it) now needs a new roof. First quote: £5300.

I never wanted to be a fucking landlord. I fucking hate it. And if I sell the fucking millstone-around-my-fucking-neck, the fucking government want a nice big wet 18% capital gains tax, so I'll probably end up with some hanging-chad of a mortgage hangover.

GRRRRR! I'm fucking raging about this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 14:38 

DavPaz wrote:
the fucking government want a nice big wet 18% capital gains tax, so I'll probably end up with some hanging-chad of a mortgage hangover.

There's an allowance before CGT kicks in, although it's only £12,000 so you may well be over that anyway :/

Luckily when I sold my house, I managed to squeak in just underneath the threshold after various costs were taken into account.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 14:45 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Just been told that the house that we rent out (because we couldn't sell it) now needs a new roof. First quote: £5300.

I never wanted to be a fucking landlord. I fucking hate it. And if I sell the fucking millstone-around-my-fucking-neck, the fucking government want a nice big wet 18% capital gains tax, so I'll probably end up with some hanging-chad of a mortgage hangover.

GRRRRR! I'm fucking raging about this.

Why couldn’t you sell?

Reply to topic  [ 7441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141 ... 149  Next