Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:50 
chewbacca -future arc welder

2 people I knew have died in original mini crashes. More or less if you crash a mini, you ded.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 
UltraMod

My car sounds amazing without the silencer. I might keep it like this.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

krazywookie wrote:
2 people I knew have died in original mini crashes. More or less if you crash a mini, you ded.

Yeah I mean don't do that

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 13:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

krazywookie wrote:

I know one, too.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 13:06 

Yeah cars have come along way since it was considered fine for the engine to end up in your lap in a fairly minor crash.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 13:51 
sneering elitist

TheVision wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Tell that to Marc Bolan.

I used to occasionally walk my dog past where he died when I lived in Putney. It was always marked with flowers, cards, and other such memorials.

There's a memorial like this down the road from me. Now, if I were to die in such a horrific car crash, I don't think I'd like to be remembered on the side of the road where I died...

I think roadside memorials should be banned. They're a bloody eyesore, and a distraction to other drivers. #grumpy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 13:55 

Jem wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Tell that to Marc Bolan.

I used to occasionally walk my dog past where he died when I lived in Putney. It was always marked with flowers, cards, and other such memorials.

There's a memorial like this down the road from me. Now, if I were to die in such a horrific car crash, I don't think I'd like to be remembered on the side of the road where I died...

I think roadside memorials should be banned. They're a bloody eyesore, and a distraction to other drivers. #grumpy

There were always rumours that some councils laid those, and I did not believe that until the boyfriend, now husband, of my friend got a job in road management/planning and when he was a junior he once was sent out to set up some of these memorials in accident hotspots. We drove past a few and, true enough, they all had the same selection of artificial flowers and matching zip-tag thingies (where you thread one end through the other and tighten them and they can’t undo them. I think police use them as cuffs now).

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 14:09 
Hibernating Druid

So it's cool to take them then?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 14:18 

Zardoz wrote:

I don’t think they’re the best choice for Mother’s day. For one, you’d have to cross the road to an accident hot spot to get them.

Which is another thing... the leaving of roadside memorials for people that have crossed the road at notoriously dangerous points just seems sadly ironic.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 14:48 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:

I'd wager my grandfather would have done. Then sold them at his florists shop.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mimi wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I don’t think they’re the best choice for Mother’s day. For one, you’d have to cross the road to an accident hot spot to get them.

Sometimes they're not in accident hot spots, they're in places they want people to slow down.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:39 
Excellent Member

A mate of mine had an old style Mini and he got what was essentially the biggest engine you could physically fit put into it. Allegedly they also had to reinforce the subframe because otherwise the front of the car would've just ripped off as soon as he first put his foot down. I never had a go in it but apparently it was a fucking terrifying experience with just ridiculous levels of acceleration--and he was a pretty dodgy driver at times into the bargain--so fuck knows how he survived.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:41 
Unpossible!

Isn't there a motorbike engine mod for the mini?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:51 
Excellent Painter

DavPaz wrote:
that would make more sense, as space is at a premium under the hood of an original mini. I seem to recall that you could shoehorn an 1850 Austin Morris engine into it.
I think there are people who’ve put type-r engines in them

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:56 

Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Sometimes they're not in accident hot spots, they're in places they want people to slow down.

Fair point. But I assume they generally want them to slow down because they can be dangerous spots?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:57 
Unpossible!

DavPaz wrote:

http://www.lynxae.co.uk/Products-MiniR1.htm

Yep

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 15:57 

There is sweet fuck-all room under the hood of even 1.0 Mini. Source: owned one, did work on it.

I didn't see another car as bad as that for limited underbonnet space until The Egg owned his V10 Audi, which was so crammed I think changing the two rearmost sparkplugs required removing the engine as they were hopelessly fouled by a bulkhead otherwise.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 16:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A lot of modern cars are pretty slammed full in the engine bay.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 16:21 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
pretty slammed full in the engine bay.

Title

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 16:24 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
A lot of modern cars are pretty slammed full in the engine bay.

Also have a cover over the entire thing so you can’t even get to the dipstick.

Unless it’s Gaz’s car and then it’s usually behind the wheel.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 17:03 

trololololololol

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 17:42 
Hello Hello Hello

MaliA wrote:
Has anyone heard from Hearthly? He's ok, right?

I was going to do a 'one week update' rather than wibble on every day, but I'd say I've driven the car enough already to do a decent early review.

In essence it's exactly what I wanted, which is to say a better version of the ST, as I loved the ST and thought it was a fantastic car.

Things about the N that are a definite step up.

1) The brakes. These were the weakest thing on the ST by far, the N has substantially better brakes that can take much more of a pounding and not fade.

2) The handling and the LSD. In N mode it's very close to what the Type-R was in 'R' mode, but not quite as unremitting. I've not had it at the limits yet but there are several corners over the mountain I've already found I can take faster and with more composure than in the ST, which started to turn into a bit of an understeering mess at similar or even lower speeds. The LSD almost feels like cheating on the way out of a fast corner, TBH.

3) The infotainment, it's a nice swishy style iPad experience as opposed to the single finger 'prodding at things' that the ST's screen utilised.

4) The lights. Superbright LED headlights that light the way much better than the standard lights the ST had.

5) The exhaust. In N mode it's a riot, with pops and crackles ahoy. I do not have car in N mode in an urban setting.

6) The different drive modes. NORMAL and N get it done most of the time, I'm still tweaking my perfect N CUSTOM mode. I'm not finding much use for ECO and SPORT. (Apparently ECO mode is great for long motorway drives, which isn't a thing over here, of course.)

So yes, overall, very happy with it.

TWO YEARS MINIMUM.

Also, TRUE STORY, I put petrol in* when I got back to Ramsey this evening, and when I came out from paying there was a visiting biker looking admiringly at the car's arse.

'Is this your car?'
'Yes it is'
'It's really nice, I haven't seen one before'

And then we had a little chat about it.

* The car said I had 10 miles worth of fuel left when I was in Douglas, so I decided to have a GAMBLE and see if it would get me home over the mountain. About 2/3 of the way over the mountain it decided I had no fuel left and the 'miles left' number changed to a --- and it flashed up LOW FUEL again. A few miles later I was in Ramsey, absolutely brimmed the tank and got just shy of 45 litres into a 50 litre tank. So on what planet did I have ZERO MILES REMAINING? What is even the point of a range indicator if it's going to be so far out?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 17:45 

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I was going to do a 'one week update' rather than wibble on every day, but I'd say I've driven the car enough already to do a decent early review.

In essence it's exactly what I wanted, which is to say a better version of the ST, as I loved the ST and thought it was a fantastic car.

1) The brakes. These were the weakest thing on the ST by far, the N has much better brakes that can take much more of a pounding and not fade.

2) The handling and the LSD. In N mode it's very close to the Type-R, but not quite as unremitting. I've not had it at the limits yet but there are several corners over the mountain I've already found I can take faster and with more composure than in the ST, which started to turn into a bit of an understeering mess at similar or even lower speeds. The LSD almost feels like cheating on the way out of a fast corner, TBH.

3) The infotainment, it's a nice swishy style iPad experience as opposed to the single finger 'prodding at things' that the ST's screen utilised.

4) The lights. Superbright LED headlights that light the way much better than the standard lights the ST had.

5) The exhaust. In N mode it's a riot, with pops and crackles ahoy. I do not have car in N mode in an urban setting.

6) The different drive modes. NORMAL and N get it done most of the time, I'm still tweaking my perfect N CUSTOM mode. I'm not finding much use for ECO and SPORT. (Apparently ECO mode is great for long motorway drives, which isn't a thing over here, of course.)

TWO YEARS MINIMUM.

Also, TRUE STORY, I put petrol in* when I got back to Ramsey this evening, and when I came out from paying there was a visiting biker looking admiringly at the car's arse.

'Is this your car?'
'Yes it is'

* The car said I had 10 miles worth of fuel left when I was in Douglas, so I decided to have a GAMBLE and see if it would get me home over the mountain. About 2/3 of the way over the mountain it decided I had no fuel left and the 'miles left' number changed to a --- and it flashed up LOW FUEL again. A few miles later I was in Ramsey, absolutely brimmed the tank and got just shy of 45 litres into a 50 litre tank. So on what planet did I have ZERO MILES REMAINING? What is even the point of a range indicator if it's going to be so far out?

To stop you gambling and actually running out of fuel 2/3rds of the way over a mountain?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 17:48 
UltraMod

Yeah most cars stop telling you how many miles once you get down to a set amount of fuel left to stop you running out of fuel like an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 17:53 
Hello Hello Hello

That was what I was betting on, and it paid off.

Just like the TPMS thing did.

Anyway, you have no room to talk Mimi, whenever you post a screenshot from your phone it's got like 3% charge or something, which sets my teeth on edge :p

Obviously running out of petrol on an unrestricted mountain road is far less worrisome than one's phone needing charging....

It's just that there was no petrol station between me and the mountain road, so I'd have had to double back on myself to get to one, and I've seen cars pull this sort of shenanigans with 'MILES LEFT' before.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 18:41 
Decapodian

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
There is sweet fuck-all room under the hood of even 1.0 Mini. Source: owned one, did work on it.

I've seen at least one with a Rover V8 in there.
http://www.spagweb.com/v8mini/v8mini_info/

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 18:56 

Hearthly wrote:
That was what I was betting on, and it paid off.

Just like the TPMS thing did.

Anyway, you have no room to talk Mimi, whenever you post a screenshot from your phone it's got like 3% charge or something, which sets my teeth on edge :p

Obviously running out of petrol on an unrestricted mountain road is far less worrisome than one's phone needing charging....

It's just that there was no petrol station between me and the mountain road, so I'd have had to double back on myself to get to one, and I've seen cars pull this sort of shenanigans with 'MILES LEFT' before.

I’ll have you know I have a full 9% on my phone right now and I am about to plug it in!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 19:48 
Hello Hello Hello

Mimi wrote:
I’ll have you know I have a full 9% on my phone right now

< shudders >

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:

1) The brakes. These were the weakest thing on the ST by far, the N has substantially better brakes that can take much more of a pounding and not fade.

2) The handling and the LSD. In N mode it's very close to what the Type-R was in 'R' mode, but not quite as unremitting. I've not had it at the limits yet but there are several corners over the mountain I've already found I can take faster and with more composure than in the ST, which started to turn into a bit of an understeering mess at similar or even lower speeds. The LSD almost feels like cheating on the way out of a fast corner, TBH.

TWO YEARS MINIMUM.

'Is this your car?'
'Yes it is'

Should have taken the chaps number so you can sell it in 6 months.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:48 
UltraMod

For £20k

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 8:50 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
MaliA wrote:

TWO YEARS MINIMUM.

'Is this your car?'
'Yes it is'

That's all the good stuff, what's the bad stuff? As that is what will have you selling it in a couple of months/weeks/days...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:11 
Hibernating Druid

Wonder how much it would have been for a stage 1 (or 2) upgrade and LSD on your ST?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:15 
Hibernating Druid

LSD https://www.mountunestore.com/products/ ... fferential - £774 inc vat supplied unfitted

Stage 2 upgrades http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Ford ... _16805.jsp - Fully Fitted: £1094.00 (inc. VAT)

£2k - £2240

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:23 
Hibernating Druid

I'm glad you're enjoying your new car btw, don't mean to be mean really.

It's just baffling how much you fling on swapping your cars to scratch relatively small itches (to me).

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:58 
UltraMod

Don’t forget to upgrade the brakes!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:16 

Hearthly wrote:
TWO YEARS MINIMUM.

Hmm.

2019/05/13 Re: Hyundai i30
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... g#p1020715

Hearthly wrote:
The wagers have already been placed at work, I have said I will keep the car for A MINIMUM OF TWO YEARS, and the bet was placed at ONE POUND.

My colleagues were practically taking my fucking arm off to place their bets.

2018/06/13 Re: Focus
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 72#p992872

Hearthly wrote:
I have determined that I will keep this car for at least twelve months, and my next car will be the Kia Stinger GT-S when it's at £20K or less.

We already have a number of 50p bets riding on it in the office. I lose my money if I've got rid of the Focus before TT next year (last week of May and first week of June).

I am confident and feel good about this car, it may just be the perfect blend of practical daily usability and sporty credentials that I've always yearned for.

TBH I was slightly upset at how folks were clamouring to take the bet, claiming it was 'the easiest 50p I've ever made'.

I'LL SHOW THEM.

2018/05/01 re: Leon
Hearthly wrote:
Six months of pleasurable Seat Leon FR Technology ownership approaches. I think this is the car for me.

2017/11/20 Re: Leon
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 75#p973375

Hearthly wrote:
This one's a keeper!

2017/08/07 Re: Civic
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 43#p960443
Hearthly wrote:
markg wrote:
Excellent! Hope this one's a keeper.

12 months, at least......

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:18 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Chonks wrote:

Good point, depending on brand that's another £2k-£2.5k for dogs bollocks big brakes all round.

So £5k for Stage 2 upgrade on an already sweet car.

Hypothetically.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

Mr Chonks wrote:

After that, more power!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
TWO YEARS MINIMUM.

Hmm.

2019/05/13 Re: Hyundai i30
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... g#p1020715

Hearthly wrote:
The wagers have already been placed at work, I have said I will keep the car for A MINIMUM OF TWO YEARS, and the bet was placed at ONE POUND.

My colleagues were practically taking my fucking arm off to place their bets.

2018/06/13 Re: Focus
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 72#p992872

Hearthly wrote:
I have determined that I will keep this car for at least twelve months, and my next car will be the Kia Stinger GT-S when it's at £20K or less.

We already have a number of 50p bets riding on it in the office. I lose my money if I've got rid of the Focus before TT next year (last week of May and first week of June).

I am confident and feel good about this car, it may just be the perfect blend of practical daily usability and sporty credentials that I've always yearned for.

TBH I was slightly upset at how folks were clamouring to take the bet, claiming it was 'the easiest 50p I've ever made'.

I'LL SHOW THEM.

2018/05/01 re: Leon
Hearthly wrote:
Six months of pleasurable Seat Leon FR Technology ownership approaches. I think this is the car for me.

2017/11/20 Re: Leon
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 75#p973375

Hearthly wrote:
This one's a keeper!

2017/08/07 Re: Civic
https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... 43#p960443
Hearthly wrote:
markg wrote:
Excellent! Hope this one's a keeper.

12 months, at least......

You waiting on a build to finish, I assume :D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 

Trooper wrote:
You waiting on a build to finish, I assume :D

More or less -- for a benchmark run of some database backends using different file formats :)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Good point, depending on brand that's another £2k-£2.5k for dogs bollocks big brakes all round.

Hypothetically.

And then £5k per year to insure it :)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Hypothetically.

Still saving him £10k then. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 
Hibernating Druid

Hypothetically.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 
Hibernating Druid

Stage 1 with LSD and brakes would be cheaper, obv.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Maybe. I mean, the boost kit you chose was for a Fiesta, but sure ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:21 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Hypothetically.

Not if you go with a specialist who deals with modded cars.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 13:35 
Hibernating Druid

Grim... wrote:
Maybe. I mean, the boost kit you chose was for a Fiesta, but sure ;)

Yeah, it's almost as though I was talking about upgrading a Fiesta ST. Sorry I linked to Fiesta ST parts. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 13:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

But...he had a Focus ST.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 13:50 
Hello Hello Hello

This is practically like a marriage in terms of a long term car commitment.

TWO YEARS.

Attachment:
reggers01.JPG

Attachment:
reggers02.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 13:51 
Hibernating Druid

Dude, he’s had all the cars

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 558, 559, 560, 561, 562, 563, 564 ... 613  Next