Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 119  Next
 Post subject: Re: PC gaming hardware thread.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:54 
Can you dig it?

Joans wrote:
Everything I can see suggests it's there to swap two pins around and actually make it work.

The pins are just like little wires right, so this should all be just fine shouldn't it?

(I actually thought you were joking and referring to getting a 'xeon inside' sticker to put on the outside of the case).

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:37 

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Joans wrote:
Everything I can see suggests it's there to swap two pins around and actually make it work.

The pins are just like little wires right, so this should all be just fine shouldn't it?

(I actually thought you were joking and referring to getting a 'xeon inside' sticker to put on the outside of the case).

That will be the finishing touch to make it that little bit faster.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 

As a bonus, the cpu I got has already been modded to fit the board (not that this was mentioned anywhere in the auction), so I don't have to do any cutting. Although I did waste £2 on a sticker.

Hopefully it actually works.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 15:25 
Esoteric

I do like a nail biter :D

Let us know how it goes man.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 18:38 

Well, it works.
I forgot how much fun the cooler was to fit, so I had a few failed attempts where it just shut straight down because it was too hot (and one where I forgot to plug the fan back in).

Think I might need a new cooler though as it's stiil running pretty hot. I'll give it some time to cool down and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 19:12 

I should stop looking at Samsung 970 Pro Plus NVMe SSDs and RTX 2060s. I should. I really should.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 23:09 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I should stop looking at Samsung 970 Pro Plus NVMe SSDs and RTX 2060s. I should. I really should.

I can distract you with Wera tools instead...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 13:02 
chewbacca -future arc welder

DBSnappa wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

I can distract you with Wera tools instead...

I have their 1/4 drive ratchet. It's certainly in my top 10.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 13:58 

I now have the ten-bit ratchet screwdriver with the bits in the handle and a set of four ratchet spanners. I'm eying up the tiny mini-ratchet set next.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 14:42 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I now have the ten-bit ratchet screwdriver with the bits in the handle and a set of four ratchet spanners. I'm eying up the tiny mini-ratchet set next.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 14:55 

You are not helping 'Snappa

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 14:59 
UltraMod

Shouldn’t he be DBJoina now

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 15:06 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

£56 on Amazon (Wera tool check plus). That’s got to be very close to impulse purchase for you :D

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 15:13 

Mr Chonks wrote:

he literally just posted a photo

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 15:13 

DBSnappa wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

£56 on Amazon (Wera tool check plus). That’s got to be very close to impulse purchase for you :D

Next time it looks vaguely useful for a job I'm about to undertake, I'll snap.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:50 

Thanks to Hearthly's generosity and JC's obscure knowledge of ancient Intel tech, my PC now firmly belongs in the year 201x (where x is pretty low).
I've installed the SSD, but haven't got round to reinstalling Windows onto it yet, at which point I expect to be blown away.

Thanks again PC thread, see you in another 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:52 
Can you dig it?

Mr Chonks wrote:

ISWYDT

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 13:07 
Esoteric

Very welcome dude. Glad she's up to date (for 201x hehe)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:19 
Excellent Member

This thread'll do.

You know what can basically fuck the fucking fuck right off? Fucking PC gaming. The stupid cunt. In the last week or so I've tried to play three separate games on the PC and and had issues with fucking all of them.

Forgotton Anne: instantly crashed on launch with some bullshit Unity error. Ended up raising a support ticket with the publisher and moved on to...
11-11 Memories Retold: instantly crashed on launch with some bullshit Unity error. Fucking hell. This prompted me to do some more digging myself and I somehow stumbled across the the root cause. An obscure conflict between the Citrix app and an older version of the Unity engine, with an easy workaround. Oh well, back to...
Forgotton Anne: this is pretty boring. Oh well, back to...
11-11 Memories Retold: Oh. So this doesn't recognise the controller at all no matter what you do. Ahahaha, that's pure amateur hour horseshit. Fucking deleted! Let's move onto something completely different...
Get Even: it launches without issue! And recognises the controller! Oh, no, wait, it's also fucked! At random but incredibly frequent points when moving around your character will stop as if you'd let go of the stick and you need to actually release the stick then move it again to get going (which doesn't always work). This is happening pretty much constantly, which turns the entire thing into the most frustrating experience imaginable. I have a second controller of the same type so let's try that. Nope, exactly the same issue. I have another ancient and (literally) creaky controller so let's try that. This works, but it's a horrible experience. Fuck it all in the ass, I'm shutting the PC down and going to bed.

For the record, these are the controllers I've got that have the problem with this one game: https://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-enha ... ck-2395389. They're wired so no Bluetooth bullshit can be going on and it should Just Work. And does, with every other game I've played using them.

What the fuck happened? For decades you could just plug a controller into your PC and off you go, no problems. Now this bullshit where different games give different responses to the same hardware? I did some searches and turned up loads of articles talking about how Windows 10 had sort of regressed the entire 'controller on the PC' situation and now people were seeing varied results all over the place; with various solutions involving fucking around with drivers. I'm so not willing to go back to that sort of nonsense, and certainly not going to sit at a desk and use a mouse and keyboard like it's the fucking 80s or something. Fuck PC gaming.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:34 
Comfortably Dumb

I had similar issues last time I was browsing my Steam library for stuff to play. It's frustrating that some games are still being sold on there when they've basically been abandoned by the developer and no longer work on newer setups. I think it was Typing of the Dead Overkill that had the most problems - that's just completely shot now, except on very specific graphic cards it seems.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 13:33 
Esoteric

Every time I game on PC I'm almost guaranteed the obligatory 30 mins (min) of fucking around. That's why my love for it has gone off like a bottle of silver cap milk in the mid day sun.

If it's not gaming it's other shit like a fucking mouse pad that stalls your pc boot for 4 minutes and having to figure it out painfully slowly.

CBA any more.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 13:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Well at least I can share 'Crazy guy shouts at the clouds' duties with Bamba from now on.

I know, 'it works fine for me' isn't much of a help, but I've had very solid service out of wired 360 pads as PC gamepads over the years.

Add in Steam's Big Picture mode and it's fairly swizzy IMO.

Windows 10 is an arsehole, but I don't think we can blame it too much for ancient and/or buggy games not working properly.

Try a wired 360 pad Bamba.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 13:43 
UltraMod

I don’t have many issues either, although I appreciate that isn’t much help. Between my Xbox One pad, DS4 and Steam Controller, something always works.

However, i don’t have as much of an adverse reaction to messing around with drivers etc as Bamba and Sat seem to have.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 13:47 
Hello Hello Hello

You definitely shouldn't have to faff about with drivers in this age TBH, and in my experience I've never had a 360 pad do anything other than 'just work', even with stuff like MAME.

There's also a wireless PC dongle that pairs up with a wireless 360 pad, I use that on my main PC, and that's never given me any issues either. Both Windows 7 and Windows 10 downloaded and installed whatever it was they needed, and the wireless pad worked fine thereafter.

As someone who well remembers what 'fun' it used to be getting PC gamepads/controllers to work through that 15-pin connector on the soundcard, it's all pretty dreamy these days really.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 13:54 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
I know, 'it works fine for me' isn't much of a help, but I've had very solid service out of wired 360 pads as PC gamepads over the years.

As have I, but the problem is that they're not as easy to come by any more because, well, the 360 itself isn't really a thing. Indeed the creaky old pad I've got that works is a 360 clone, it's the Xbone controller clones that seem to be problematic.

Hearthly wrote:
Windows 10 is an arsehole, but I don't think we can blame it too much for ancient and/or buggy games not working properly.

No, indeed; but the games in question are from 2017 and 2018 so hardly ancient. And I'm looking suspiciously in the direction of Windows 10 because for the lifespan of Win7 I never had any such issues, plus the chat I'm seeing online implies that MS fucked around with controller related stuff with the advent of Win10/the Xbone.

Mr Chonks wrote:
However, i don’t have as much of an adverse reaction to messing around with drivers etc as Bamba and Sat seem to have.

It's not something that would've bothered me in the past because there was a time it was a standard part of the experience, but it's so rare these days that having to do it utterly infuriates me now. I had like an hour last night to play some games and spent literally all of it fucking around instead of playing games. And, to be honest, much of my ire is down to having a string of really shitty, stupid things happen all at once. If one game had crapped out on me I'd have been all 'shit happens', but to have the last three games I've tried to play fuck up is a whole other thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:09 
Comfortably Dumb

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

As have I, but the problem is that they're not as easy to come by any more because, well, the 360 itself isn't really a thing. Indeed the creaky old pad I've got that works is a 360 clone, it's the Xbone controller clones that seem to be problematic.

Before I started using my Steam controller, I used to use the 360 Afterglow controller with my PC and it seems to work well for the games I threw at it. I'm on my second one though as I wore the thumbstick out after hundreds of hours on Binding of Isaac.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:12 

Bamba wrote:
it's the Xbone controller clones that seem to be problematic.
Wait what do you mean by "clone"? Is it a cheap knockoff from some anonymous Chinese factory? Because if you're getting driver hassles from that, well, that's not that surprising, outrageous, or novel a situation.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:17 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
it's the Xbone controller clones that seem to be problematic.
Wait what do you mean by "clone"? Is it a cheap knockoff from some anonymous Chinese factory? Because if you're getting driver hassles from that, well, that's not that surprising, outrageous, or novel a situation.

I linked the model above:

https://www.game.co.uk/en/xbox-one-enha ... ck-2395389

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:34 
Hello Hello Hello

That's not an official pad though, as far as I can tell?

There seem to be plenty of genuine wired 360 pads on eBay in good nick, I'd pick one of those up for a tenner and see how you get on.

Places like CEX/GAME should have used ones available too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:40 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
That's not an official pad though, as far as I can tell?

No indeed, reputable looking make though.

Hearthly wrote:
eBay

Ahahahaha. No.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:45 
Esoteric

My issue isn't really with controls. I mainly use a controller now, as most games have some sort of auto aim built in for them when you just literally pull the left trigger which puts you roughly on target, then you just do a small adjustment and pull the right trigger. Which kinda reminds me of BITD putting combos into 2D fighters. It's quite satisfying..

My issue is the faff you need to go through with several games now. Let me use FC5 here. Basically you can launch it via Uplay and that's fine. However, because it's the Steam version I have in order to play it in co op I must launch Steam and Uplay, then launch the game via Steam or I can not play it in co op, even though it shows my buddy there. And if you forget that you have to do it it just eats into play time. Then there's the issue that Windows forever randomly changes my audio devices I choose and so on. I will get into game and realise my buddy is coming out of my speakers rather than the headset.

Then there's Metro (the new one). I got it through Epic (think you had to?) and because of that certain functions do not work. For example the benchmark tool that's always included in the game folder. I go to launch it and get a warning saying it won't run because I have to launch it via the Epic game store. Problem is? there's no option there. Mostly because that's never how it's worked. So basically it doesn't work, leaving me to faff around for ages finding the optimal graphics settings and ETC. And because of the very long cut scenes you cannot skip this became a real chore. At least Far Cry had a benchmark tool in the game.

But yeah, every time I fire up my PC *something* wants to bloody update or wants me to install a new driver that takes ages and needs a reboot. It seems the more we go into the future the less they are actually building into the games themselves. Another example of this? nearly all games now just start at some ass resolution and then make you watch a ten minute cut scene before they even let you at the settings. And OK look I'm not talking about me fannying around with the graphics, but things I need like subtitles and etc. It's a bit of a joke really. It's like some guy said "Hey now we are making X86 consoles meaning you have to do pretty much fuck all before you can release them on PC ! Like, not even code a decent menu or anything !".

None of the above would have bothered me like it does if I did not have a XB1X and a PS4. Only because it winds me right up seeing how these games can be without all of the expensive PC gear. It's like an ironic kick in the bollocks.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 14:46 

Bamba wrote:
No indeed, reputable looking make though.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 15:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
eBay

Ahahahaha. No.

CEX or GAME then.

Either way, it's not going to be that hard to get hold of a wired 360 pad, and since it may well provide a simple and inexpensive solution to your problem, probably worth giving it a go?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 15:15 
Unpossible!

I have the same controller Bamba. Had to take the first one back as it flat out stopped working after a week. The second one has been ok though. Never tried it with the PC.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 15:18 
UltraMod

I reckon I still have a wireless 360 pad you can have, Bamba. If I can find it and the dongle I’ll bring it up next time I see you.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 15:29 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
eBay

Ahahahaha. No.

CEX or GAME then.

Either way, it's not going to be that hard to get hold of a wired 360 pad, and since it may well provide a simple and inexpensive solution to your problem, probably worth giving it a go?

Indeed, and I didn't mean to be dismissive of the entire idea; just the eBay part of it. The annoying thing is that I genuinely like the Xbone controller design over the X360 one. But, I suppose having games actually fucking work is slightly more important.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 16:02 

Another "it works fine for me" - but in this case, I use an official Xbox One Elite Controller and the Wireless dongle, so perhaps it is just the controller you have that doesn't like the PC much?
I'm fairly certain I remember reading somewhere that the Xbox One controller doesn't use XInput like the X360 controller does, so I wonder if the official controller just has a way of converting it to work properly.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 16:08 
Excellent Member

Yeah, the change away from XInput was what I'd read about as well. I'll try and find some time to fuck about with drivers and see if that helps at all because it would be useful to be able to use the controllers I already own. Failing that I'll need to shell out on an official Xbone controller, track down an old official 360 pad or just set fire to my PC and pledge my undying allegiance to Sony.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 18:18 
Bad Girl

Battle.net

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 19:57 
Prince of Fops

Mammoth Tank.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 21:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Findus Fop wrote:
Mammoth Tank.

Yussss I love that game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 19:24 
Prince of Fops

This just hit my radar after their social team liked one of my tweets about Heroes of Might and Magic III.

I think this looks lovely:

https://www.songsofconquest.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 19:52 
Hello Hello Hello

PC Gaming Topic is right here, good sir - https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... =3&t=10011

FORUM POLICE MODE DEACTIVATED.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 20:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Ordered this today as a 'downstairs machine' for me and Mrs Hearthly to share, also it'll give me a bit of 'studio space' to do videos as well, for when I'm in the video making mood but the family is on deck in the main lounge/gaming room.

We've both agreed it'd be nice to have a PC/laptop down there, which is a clear green light to get this, possibly a bit of an over-engineered solution, but shrouds don't have pockets and all that.

Attachment:
lappers.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 
Esoteric

Very nice. Ex Mrs JC 2 had an Asus ROG laptop (older one with the full fat GTX 460 in it) and it was built like a brick shit house. Lovely build quality and the keyboard was probably the only laptop keyboard I've ever liked typing on.

Something strange happened last week as it goes. I remember talking about my NAS a page or two ago, and how Microsoft had disabled SMB1 in Windows 10 due to a security flaw (not with Windows, but the NAS-es? themselves). Any way, someone told me I should check for a firmware update for my NAS. I wasn't hopeful, as the last one was released in 2013 (yes, it's that old !) but sure enough Dlink had just released a firmware update that makes my NAS SMB2. This means that not only can I access it with my PC and Fire Stick (which oddly enough has always gotten along well with my NAS !) but also all of my phones and other devices can now see and map out the drives. And I didn't have to spend a single penny (that makes a change).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:18 
Hello Hello Hello

It's probably overkill for what it'll be doing but once you start looking at the specs on laptops it's so easy to get thinking, 'Oh but if I spend a bit more I'll get x, y or z' and next thing you know you've ordered a two grand laptop.

Oh well I'm sure it'll be very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 23:39 
Can you dig it?

Can you change the lighting colour of the keys or is it set to only look like that?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 13:43 
Hello Hello Hello

Sir Taxalot wrote:
Can you change the lighting colour of the keys or is it set to only look like that?

It's four zone RGB lighting (not per key), it comes with some sort of ASUS control software, I'll probably just have the whole thing a nice light blue or suchlike.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:36 
Esoteric

Cyan is a brilliant colour to have RGB as I've discovered. My pc is set to cycle and Cyan and pink both look orsum.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 15:56 
Hello Hello Hello

That's the word I was looking for, cyan!

I have my main PC's RGB keyboard (which has programmable per-key RGB functionality should I wish to use it) set to a solid cyan all the time, it's a really nice colour.

Reply to topic  [ 5933 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 119  Next