Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 133  Next
 Post subject: Re: Google Android
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:30 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That's the Oreo update. I don't think you can revert it, bit I might be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:43 
Excellent Member

Yeah, I got the same on my S8 the other day due to the Oreo update. It's mildly annoying but, aside from the 'alt-tab' switch which they've thankfully kept, I don't really use the app switcher so I imagine I'll get used to it pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 13:28 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Yeah, I got the same on my S8 the other day due to the Oreo update. It's mildly annoying but, aside from the 'alt-tab' switch which they've thankfully kept, I don't really use the app switcher so I imagine I'll get used to it pretty quickly.

How do you switch apps?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 14:37 
Sitting balls-back folder

My car started flat out refusing to accept my phone supports android auto.

Today it worked again except that Google crashed repeatedly whenever I pressed the button to ask it for directions. Which I only needed to do because my saved Work location wasn't showing up to tap on.

I had to unplug it, start the navigation to work in normal maps, then plug it in again so it just continued the existing nav.

Google assistant and maps keep forgetting I've accepted whatever it is that needs accepting to get assistance or store history.

I usually can't get it to play music that's stored on my phone either.

It's pretty much all broken, is what I'm saying, and getting worse.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 17:31 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

How do you switch apps?

By tapping their icon to launch them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 18:01 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

How do you switch apps?

What if that icon isn't on your homescreen? And you were just using it previously? You would go digging through your folders to find that app again?

IS THAT WHAT YOU'D DO?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 18:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

You mean Pie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 18:23 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 19:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I can only assume that page looks different to you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 19:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You mean Pie

Probably. There doesn't seem to be be much in them to tell them apart any more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 19:09 

Grim... wrote:
I can only assume that page looks different to you.

Haha! I checked in an incognito window and everything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 20:10 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

How do you switch apps?

What if that icon isn't on your homescreen? And you were just using it previously? You would go digging through your folders to find that app again?

IS THAT WHAT YOU'D DO?

Yep, like some kind of caveman. In seriousness though, it's often still quicker then going through a random list of apps. If the one you're after isn't in the most recent 2 or 3 then you're almost certainly quicker just going to where you know it will be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 20:18 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

How do you switch apps?

IS THAT WHAT YOU'D DO?

Yep, like some kind of caveman. In seriousness though, it's often still quicker then going through a random list of apps. If the one you're after isn't in the most recent 2 or 3 then you're almost certainly quicker just going to where you know it will be.

Oh I only do it if I'm literally switching between apps e.g. From 1 password to chrome browser.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 21:16 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

How do you switch apps?

IS THAT WHAT YOU'D DO?

Oh I only do it if I'm literally switching between apps e.g. From 1 password to chrome browser.

If it's just between your last two most recently used apps then just double tap the switcher button to alt-tab.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 21:42 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

How do you switch apps?

IS THAT WHAT YOU'D DO?

If it's just between your last two most recently used apps then just double tap the switcher button to alt-tab.

Excellent, problem solved! Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:50 

Android Q beta hands-on from Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/03 ... -controls/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:28 

"A lot of things are half-implemented, inconsistent, or broken, but this is just a beta"

Google, continually innovating in the "meaning of beta" space!

"In Android Q, only swiping from left to right will dismiss a notification" .. "This is deeply ingrained in my muscle memory, and to now only be able to swipe to the left to dismiss is a dramatic change."

So dramatic they can't describe it consistently!

I do really like that change though. Hopefully flippable for southpaws.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 13:58 

If they think that build is half-baked, they should see what’s on my phone!

But seriously it’s a public beta released months earlier in the process than has ever happened before. This one really is a “developer preview”.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 15:04 

Beta used to mean feature complete, ready for wider testing. This sounds alpha at best.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely all for getting stuff out early (I'm pushing that at our legacy engineering firm where a lot of "it's only software" still exists and multi-year-*late* first releases happen) but don't call it a beta!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 15:22 

Also, sorry if I'm coming across all old man shouts at cloud and tetchy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 16:01 

I don't agree. Beta is only really defined, in my opinion, in the context of the release cycle, and can mean very different things for different products. For example, we've seen "beta tests" of games lately that take place only weeks before the game ships, and on final or very close to final code -- but of course it's the server infrastructure they are testing, and the infrastructure itself is in beta. In Android, we have a beta that is far from code complete, but it's just as valid a use of "beta" in my opinion.

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Pre-alpha refers to all activities performed during the software project before formal testing.
The alpha phase of the release life cycle is the first phase to begin software testing (alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, used as the number 1). In this phase, developers generally test the software using white-box techniques. Additional validation is then performed using black-box or gray-box techniques, by another testing team.
Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. Software in the beta stage is also known as betaware.[3] Beta phase generally begins when the software is feature complete but likely to contain a number of known or unknown bugs.[4] Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, speed or performance issues, and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing. The process of delivering a beta version to the users is called beta release and this is typically the first time that the software is available outside of the organization that developed it.

That all seems fair enough to me, and in line with my understanding of the Android release process.

https://developer.android.com/preview/r ... notes.html has plenty of upfront disclaimers.
Quote:
This Beta release is designed for use in compatibility testing and early development only. Please be aware of these general notes about the release:

This release may contain various stability and performance issues on devices that may make it not suitable for daily use on phone or tablet.
System and app performance are known to be periodically slow and janky, and devices may become occasionally unresponsive.
Battery life may be regressed in this early release for screen-on and screen-off use cases.
Some apps may not function normally on Beta 1. This includes Google's apps as well as other apps.
This early build is not Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) approved.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 17:41 

"feature complete"

Maybe the ars description of things not being finished is wrong. Can't call the missing bits of a feature a "known bug".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:39 
Prince of Fops

@hearthly and or other p20 Pro users, have you had an issue with charging? On Sunday it started to refuse to charge from the mains, instead getting itself stuck in a loop of trying to recognise my face and turning the torch on and off. Which given I was asleep in bed was particularly undesirable. Was like having a bleating newborn baby again.

It charges fine via a lower output eg Pc port, but is struggling with supercharge or whatever it's called.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Nothing like that on mine, I have to use the charger that came with it to get the SUPERCHARGE, but it charges fine on that one.

Obviously all the Chinese hackers are getting a bit tiresome, but I'm sort of used to them now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 18:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nope, nothing like that here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 19:15 
Prince of Fops

I spoke to the nice man at Huawei (Harry?) and he recommended doing a factory reset. Which is fucking perfect three weeks into owning a phone, when I've finally got everything setup and downloaded as I want it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 19:17 
UltraMod

Findus Fop wrote:
I spoke to the nice man at Huawei (Harry?) and he recommended doing a factory reset. Which is fucking perfect three weeks into owning a phone, when I've finally got everything setup and downloaded as I want it.

Doesn’t Android take a backup of your phone? Surely it’s a case of doing the factory reset and then restoring your backup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 19:18 
Prince of Fops

Lonewolves wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

Doesn’t Android take a backup of your phone? Surely it’s a case of doing the factory reset and then restoring your backup.

I'm yet to experience a backup which hasn't involved a significant amount of fiddling to get things exactly back to how they were. We will see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 20:41 
Hello Hello Hello

Lonewolves wrote:

That's really not the point though, is it?

(And that's even if your statement was remotely accurate, which it isn't.)

I will march for Mr Fop tomorrow, you are welcome to come too but you have to pay me £50.

EDIT - And I won't actually be on the march, of course. I've been learning a lot from Mr 'Cunt' Farage.

EDIT - That's not abusive, because it's true, in case I ever have to defend myself in court.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 20:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

We're all using the P30 Pro now anyway. Three cameras is for chumps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 20:59 
UltraMod

Ah right, so Android doesn’t take backups. Fair enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 21:23 
Prince of Fops

I'm trying the charger in a different plug socket. No hard reset yet, just a soft reset. Almost as tedious as brexit. Almost.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 22:18 

Lonewolves wrote:

Yes, it does.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 22:20 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes, it does.

So I was reasonably accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 22:32 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes, it does.

Not full iOS style backups though?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 22:39 
Hello Hello Hello

The point here is obviously, and I mean fucking obviously, that THE MAGNIFICENT MR FINDUS FOP will not get his 'entire phone' restored should he restore it from a Google backup (i.e. right back to the state it was in before restoring the backup, less the problem). Which is exactly what he's already said.

AND EVEN THEN it's still clearly not the main issue, because no one should be doing this shit with a three week old phone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 22:40 
Hello Hello Hello

On the plus side you can totally blame Chinese Hackers, Mr Fop.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 22:42 

Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes, it does.

It's complicated, but more no than yes. A lot of apps don't do the right things unfortunately and can still lose state.

It's one of my biggest annoyances (I factory reset my phone 6+ times a year) and I am a relentless filer of bugs about this stuff. I'm quite well known to the backup and restore team. It's much better than it used to be, though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 22:48 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
On the plus side you can totally blame Chinese Hackers, Mr Fop.

Amen, brother. Turns out it was taking photos of its own volition while charging, so perhaps not the most enormous, facetious stretch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 23:03 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Yes, it does.

It's complicated, but more no than yes. A lot of apps don't do the right things unfortunately and can still lose state.

It's one of my biggest annoyances (I factory reset my phone 6+ times a year) and I am a relentless filer of bugs about this stuff. I'm quite well known to the backup and restore team. It's much better than it used to be, though.

So in essence nothing like myp suggested was the super quick easy solution and exactly like Mr Fop said would be a tedious hassle with a three week old phone he'd just about fettled to perfection?

Glad that's sorted.

(And for the record I've been 'impressed-ish' with the restore functionality on Android phones before now (and have said as much in this very thread), but the idea that it puts you right back to where you were with no hassle is pure fantasy.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 23:08 
UltraMod

It sounds like it definitely needs improving then

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 0:03 
Comfortably Dumb

The Android Pie update for the Moto G6 was available for my phone today. Doesn't seem hugely different so far, but I can't think of much I'd have changed anyway, so at least they haven't dicked around with it too much.

EDIT - Although I've already turned off the status bar clock - having it in the top-left makes me think there are notification icons showing.

EDIT 2 - And the clock's reappeared of its own accord, ignoring the setting at the bottom of the screenshot.

Attachment:
Screenshot_20190327-090847.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It's much better than it used to be, though.

Not least because it exists. It wasn't there for a surprisingly long time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 22:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevekovach/ ... 4934753280

Nobody could have predicted this...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 
Hello Hello Hello

That'll buff out no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:55 
Excellent Painter

Many of the reviewers are reporting broken screens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 
Hello Hello Hello

Surely this is something Samsung would have ragged the arse out of in testing, since it's so obviously the thing that's likely to break.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Bamba wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
Feels like stating the obvious but seriously, is this really not expected to get a big crease down the middle after a couple of months of use? If it manages to avoid that then fine, I do believe in magic.

They'll have tested the shit out of that no doubt because it's a very obvious concern but I'm with you in being very sceptical that over time it won't ever be an issue. Not that I'm interested in it anyway but I'd only ever pick it up if the warranty was very robust around that specific issue.

It's not exactly what I said but closer enough.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:28 

DBSnappa wrote:
Many of the reviewers are reporting broken screens.

Two of them may have accidentally broken it themselves by peeling off the top plastic layer, that looks a bit like a shipping screen protector but is actually an integral part of the screen. There's two more that broke without that, however....

Samsung are pushing ahead with the launch:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/04/1 ... ay-issues/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:00 

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Two of them may have accidentally broken it themselves by peeling off the top plastic layer, that looks a bit like a shipping screen protector but is actually an integral part of the screen.

This technology is definitely ready for prime time.

Reply to topic  [ 6634 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 133  Next