Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge (2019)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I liked it a lot, though doing 180 spins made me boak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:55 
Excellent Member

Cras wrote:
I liked it a lot, though doing 180 spins made me boak

I was really surprised by how easy it was to handle it from that perspective. You do no small amount of bouncing around at certain points, including jumping onto the ceiling and whatnot, but it was all really smooth for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:57 
UltraMod

1. Outrun SEGA AGES (Switch) – reached all five destinations and unlocked all power ups on easy difficulty and long time limit; finished game using all power ups at normal difficulty and normal time limit
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch) – completed all three episodes with 159 diamonds
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PS4) - completed campaign on Normal

Still brilliant, just the right length and doesn’t outstay it’s welcome (title block). I didn’t have to drop it down to Recruit for the ferris wheel which makes me a better gamer than 12 years ago, maybe?

I haven’t bought a CoD game since AW, which I really enjoyed but don’t like getting them every year. I could be tempted back in by MW4.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:31 
Excellent Member

I started playing the Modern Warfare campaign myself yesterday and was really enjoying it. There's an inconsistency I feel though when you try and and take a slightly different route through a section from that of your squad. Sometimes you're cleverly flanking the bad guys and the game rewards you with a quick takedown of the baddies. Other times it's like, "No! You're not going the prescribed route through our corridors! Bad gamer!" and it slaps you down with a quick death. And there's the standard annoyance I get with all these type of games where the constant chaos of certain sections means I'm never sure if I've cleared the area out enough to progress. I realise that's sort of required to emulate these battles but it's still jarring as an experience at times. All that said, I do seem to be progressing much quicker and easier than I did back in the day so maybe I am getting better. Also: the smug chatter of the gunship operators as they breezily murder loads of guys in Death From Above is even more uncomfortable than I remember.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:04 
Comfortably Dumb

1. Super Double Dragon (SNES)
2. Out Run (GBA)

I only did the easiest route; not sure I'll bother with the others as the GBA version isn't great - the handling feels very loose, there doesn't feel like there's much room on the road (I managed to hit the checkpoint sign twice, just when trying to overtake) and the music is a bit tuneless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 22:01 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
2) Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
6) Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)

9) Octopath Traveller (Switch)

What’s the game about: it’s a JRPG with 8 characters each with their own story split into 4 chapters.

What’s the story about: It varies from a swordsman who has lost his mojo, a merchant who wants to travel the world, a scholar investigating a mysterious disappearing book and so on. Some of them will be more interesting to some people but they’re all told nicely in an atypical JRPG fashion.

What’s it look like: Pixel-art. Urgh. But wait! It’s bloody lovely with a style of its own. Yeah it’s all pixels and stuff but the effects make it look fantastic. This ever present depth of field effect, lovely lighting, masses of particles blowing up and shit and just it’s all really well presented.

What’s it sound like: fucking lush, mate. Orchestral, even. Lovely music throughout that’s a real joy to listen to.

So is it any good: Excellent. The stories vary as you’d expect but the fighting is the highlight. It’s a typical rock, paper, scissors style of early JRPGs (so I hear) but it’s just so fucking fun when you blat a muthafucker and a megaton of numbers come crunching out their face cakes. The most numbers I managed was thirty thousand but I’ve seen someone blast over a hundred thousand out and one shot a boss. I just how it’s a reet challenge for me but can be abused like that. I wish I had the time and patience to work out all the systems and what not but the depth is there for those that want to get stuck in. Mind you, the pacing is a bit weird: it seemed to me that the required levels forced you to do each character’s chapter in turn - so do everyone’s chapter 1, then everyone’s chapter 2 and so on - so by the time I was doing all the last chapters I was about 10 levels over the required level. If you did one characters full story you’d be massively underlevelled, so whereas it’s probably possible and you can do any characters story at any time in any order; I don’t think it’s meant to be done that way. And each chapter has the exact same structure: wander about town, enter dungeon and kill boss. Fin. It gets a bit tiresome but at least you know what to expect. Anyway, I’m shit at JRPGs and had a tough time to start with but once I got going I had a whale of a time. By the time I was near the end I was overlevelled and had it mostly figured out. I never once had to grind enemies to finish the game either which I was happy about. I expected the grind would be necessary for these types of games, but no, just normal progression and I was fine and even over prepared.

So if you like JRPGs you’ll probably find a good time with this. If you’re shit at JRPGs I’m not sure this will convince you but it might. I don’t know what you lot like.

I knocked through the lot in 52 hours so it’s quite meaty but not Persona 5 100+ hours meaty.

I’d give it a 8.5.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 20:15 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)

10) Deltarune: Chapter 1 (PS4)

It’s the Undertale follow up that’s a work in progress. It’s got the same characters and places but it’s an alternate reality and a new story. It’s got the same sweet sense of humour, the same art style and similar fight sequences.

If you enjoyed Undertale, and you’re a monster if you don’t love it, then you’ll get a real kick out of this. And like Undertale it’s got an intricate little story going on. If you’ve never played Undertale, and you should, then you might want to have a go at this Chapter and see if you like what’s going on. Personally though, I liked Undertales enemies a lot more than chapter 1 and some of the fights in Undertale were laugh out loud hilarious but there’s a reason for that that only becomes clear at the end of chapter 1. Still have a go. It’s free init.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 15:32 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)

11) Ape Out (Switch)

Fucking loved it. You’re an ape (or a series of apes) and you’ve got to escape in a sort-of Hotline Miami esq series of levels. I was worried it might be a bit repetitive since you’ve only got two moves (grab someone and flinging them into walls instantly turning them into a tomato purée) and I suppose it is a bit but that won’t stop you having a good time.

The abstract art style is, for a change, original and inspired. It’s very occasionally a bit too noisy but the simple shapes mean you rarely get lost in the picture.

The music is interesting noise too, as deaths form a background percussion of experimental jazz as cymbals clash and drums knock as bodies splatter the walls and fly out windows to their death.

The end of level 2 was great and the finale level was probably one of the most satisfying end levels I’ve played in some time. And, boy, when that final tune kicks in I had a massive smile on my face.

For £13 you’ll get about 2 1/2 hours of fun out of it and it’s worth every penny. Once complete there’s a secret level, arcade modes and something else if you’re so inclined.

9/10 would Ape Out again. Fucking marv.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 15:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I hadn't heard of this but I've just watched the trailer and it looks great!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:46 
Excellent Member

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
3. Lego Lord of the Rings
4. Faraway 4
5. Legacy 3 - The Hidden Relic
6. Assassin's Creed Origins
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare: surprisingly good fun given that it's properly ancient now and these kind of games generally bore the tits off me these days. It also looks fucking lovely in places, a really good remaster job there.

It's definitely at it's best when you and your squad are working you way through more modestly sized environments; methodically checking and clearing your corners is satisfying and even full on firefights are fun as long as it's not a massive arena.

When you are in such an arena the wheels come off I feel, it's just such a load of chaos that progress generally feels more down to luck than skill and getting randomly shot and/or exploded is never more than a few seconds away. It's also annoying never knowing whether (a) you're supposed to clear out the enemies then move forward or (b) if enemies are going to keep respawning until you push forward past an invisible line. The sections where they add a timer into those type of encounters is next level bullshit and can absolutely GTFF. Oh, and the ferris wheel section of the sniper level is still absolutely the worst thing.
13. Jack N' Jill: one-button platformer which, like the best of the genre, is incredibly responsive and rarely makes you feel like death wasn't entirely your own fault. It's done with a Gameboy-esque retro aesthetic which suits the game because everything you can see is important (apart from the collectible coins which are literally 100% pointless) and you're not distracted by visual noise. It's basically Rayman Jungle/Fiesta Run boiled down to it's essence. The difficulty curve is smooth as silk and by the end you're easily pulling off minute long chains of stuff that you'd never have got close to when you started. There's a fair fuckton of levels which continue throwing new concepts at you right up until the final level set so there's a good bit of variety there and it's just proper solid mobile gaming material.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 23:12 
UltraMod

1. Outrun SEGA AGES (Switch) – reached all five destinations and unlocked all power ups on easy difficulty and long time limit; finished game using all power ups at normal difficulty and normal time limit
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch) – completed all three episodes with 159 diamonds
4. Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo - The Card Warriors (Switch) - completed Single Player Combat mode with Andre

I bought this for 99p in a sale when the gang were here as I thought it would be funny to play, but also has a single player mode. It’s a basic blackjack tournament game but the graphics and music style are an homage to Street Fighter II. It didn’t take me very long to beat it and it’s a bit thin in this mode, but they all count!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids: retro looking platformer for Android which bumbles along pretty happily until the later fire themed levels which are teeth grindlingly annoying and can get fucked.
15. The London Heist: standout game in the PlayStation VR Worlds package, a Lock, Stock and Two Swearing Fackin' Cants themed light gun shooter sort of thing with a few campaign levels and then some stand-alone shooting galleries. It's short and ridiculous (in a good a way) and generally very good fun. Although the aiming in the campaign seemed a bit off so the initial level took longer to get through than it felt like it should've done. The later level gives you an uzi though which solves any kind of accuracy problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:10 
Bad Girl

Isn’t the London Heist being made into a full proper game? I vaguely recall seeing that somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 14:02 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
Isn’t the London Heist being made into a full proper game? I vaguely recall seeing that somewhere.

Sort of. The studio behind London Heist is working on a game called Blood & Truth that they're calling a spiritual successor.

https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-blood-tru ... ockbuster/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:59 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)
11) Ape Out (Switch)

12) Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

Completed runs 1 & 2 and got the true ending. Is it best game of the year so far? Abso-fucking-lutely.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 19:38 
UltraMod

4. Super Blackjack Battle II Turbo - The Card Warriors (Switch) - completed Single Player Combat mode with Andre
5. Undertale (Switch) - got Neutral and Pacifist endings

This game absolutely deserves all the rave reviews it got at the time. Part-graphic adventure, part-RPG, part-bullet hell shooter(!), it’s funny, sweet and really good fun. I had a great time with this.

I could go through again and get the Genocide ending, but I don’t have the heart to kill everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 20:19 
Excellent Member

Also, the genocide ending is brutally difficult in places so not for the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 20:44 
Unpossible!

Bamba wrote:
Also, the genocide ending is brutally difficult in places so not for the faint of heart.

I watched JackSepticEye play through it. That one battle took him about 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 21:59 
Paws for thought

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

I'm surprised you could put up with him SHOUTING for that long. He does like a good SHOUT.

Relatedly, I can' watch him. He appears to be a shouty bell.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 0:28 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Yep, I watched the same thing and absolutely fuck that noise. The memorisation and twitch reactions required can get fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 
Comfortably Dumb

2. Out Run (GBA)
3. Atic Atac (Xbox One)
4. Bust A Groove (PS1)

I don't remember Bust A Groove being so easy, but I only had to continue a couple of times as I hadn't played in years. Still a great game, just rather short.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:20 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids
15. The London Heist
16. Marie's Room: short Steam freebie that's like a mini 'Gone Home'. Female protagonist explores her friend's bedroom revealing the backstory of their relationship as she examines items relating to their history. It starts off okay but the full story is revealed in a massive exposition dump when you trigger the ending, which is rather at odds with the idea of playing the story out via subtle info drips.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 15:26 
Paws for thought

1: Prey 2017(PC)
2: The Room(PC)
3: The Room 2 (PC)
4: Night in the woods (PC)
5: Ghost of a tale (PC)
6: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii (U))

133 Hours. More than a few aborted start attempts due to shit wii controls until I got the WiiU version with better controls.

Worth the effort, were a good story. Final boss was a walkover.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 22:38 
UltraMod

6. Deltarune (Switch) - completed Chapter 1

More Undertale! Although it isn’t quite the same. They’ve improved the graphics and mechanics and it’s still fun and funny and has some of the same characters but most of the game is set elsewhere. It hasn’t had quite the same impact as Undertale as it’s a bit shorter, but there’s still a good three hours though.

(I would definitely recommend playing Undertale first though, if you’re tempted to pick this up because it’s free.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:32 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids
15. The London Heist
16. Marie's Room
17 The Birdcage 2: a series of stand alone puzzle boxes represented as bird cages you need to unlock. It's very rarely even slightly difficult but as it rips of The Room's particularly satisfying kinetic touchscreen interaction it's still a joy to smash your way through.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 14:46 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids
15. The London Heist
16. Marie's Room
17. The Birdcage 2
18. Rime room escape game : the usual Android escape room nonsense. Not a bad example with only one puzzle--the final one--that was bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:43 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids
15. The London Heist
16. Marie's Room
17. The Birdcage 2
18. Rime room escape game
19. >observer.: Cyberpunk horror walking sim starring Rutger Hauer. This one's made by the same studio behind Layers of Fear and it shows. By which I mean that it looks fucking incredible and has some really nice ideas, but it goes on a bit too long and doesn't have the impact it's shooting for.

When I say it looks incredible I'm not just talking about the quality of the graphics--though they are brilliant, a sort of photorealistic style that I've only seen pulled off so well in their own previous game and, interestingly, PT--but the overall visual design and everything the game throws at you. Because it's cyberpunk and horror themed there are entire sections that are just pure visual batshittery and the sheer level of creativity on show throughout the game is genuinely fucking jaw-dropping.

Unfortunately these highs are contrasted with the lows of the dank corridor trudging that makes up a lot of the 'action'. Which I understand, because they're an attempt to round out the narrative and ground the game in it's crumbling tower block setting so the hacker fever-dream sections stand out properly; but that doesn't change the fact that a good chunk of your play time is just walking about opening doors. There's a pretence of doing detective work but it's just a case of turning on one of your two available visual filters and clicking on everything that looks weird until you can progress.

The story is alright but the pacing is incredibly patchy and the whole idea was done massively more effectively in the brilliant SOMA. Also, the moment cannot come fucking soon enough when developers realise that no one in the world enjoys insta-death stealth sections against rampaging monstrous opponents. There's only a couple of instances of this but I was rolling my eyes every time it happened.

I'm on the fence about whether this one can be recommended. At certain points, when I was just hanging on for dear life as the game pulled me through some downright incredible looking bugfuckery I'd, it seems like an essential experience. And at other points, like when wandering through another maze of dripping buzzing hallways, I'd have felt embarrassed even mentioning it to anyone else. There's some genuinely brilliant talent at work in this studio but they just never seem to get all the parts working together in a way that would create something really brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 14:16 
Paws for thought

1: Prey 2017(PC)
2: The Room(PC)
3: The Room 2 (PC)
4: Night in the woods (PC)
5: Ghost of a tale (PC)
6: Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii (U))
7: Baba is You (Switch)

Well, I got ending credits at least. Only actually completed 81 puzzles (5 areas cleared, 1 100%) so I'm not sure I'd say it's completly cmpleted. But there's the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 16:46 
UltraMod

7. Portal 2 (PC) - completed all six co-op courses

You get end credits and it took us about nine hours over the course of the last couple of days, so it definitely counts. I've done it before but only when the game was released so about eight years ago, so I barely remembered any of the solutions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 16:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is it still fucking brilliant?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 16:55 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
Is it still fucking brilliant?

Absolutely it is. Some rooms you just think WTF until the solution hits you instantly. Other times you stumble around in the dark until you try something bonkers and it just works.

Co-op just makes Portal so much more complicated yet incredibly satisfying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 17:11 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)
11) Ape Out (Switch)

13) Call of Duty: BLOPS IIII (Xbox)

Completed Operation Grand Heist and got all 100 tiers. Only took 120 hours with about 15 wins.

I haven’t even booted up Zombies or played more than a couple of hours of the regular MP.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 17:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
Grim... wrote:
1. Resident Evil 2: Leon

2. Resident Evil 2: Claire + "true" ending

3. RimWorld (again)

It's still great. Only one of my dudes died before I got off the planet!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 13:56 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids
15. The London Heist
16. Marie's Room
17. The Birdcage 2
19. >observer.
20. The Enchanted Worlds: standard point clicky Myst-like for Android. Decent, but nothing spectacular.
21. Mindsweeper: puzzley escape thing from the devs behind the lovely Faraway games. This one lacks the charm of their best stuff and it's never very difficult but it's solid stuff and brilliant commuter fodder so still comes recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 21:38 
UltraMod

8. Escaped Chasm (PC) - got both endings

A very short (30 min playthrough) but free pixel art itch.io narrative game about a lonely girl stuck at home waiting for her parents to come home by the Undertale artist Temmie Chang. It took an hour to see both endings (that I know of) and was quite atmospheric and sad. The music was done by Toby Fox the main Undertale guy. It was quite creepy in parts but very short.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 13:30 
UltraMod

8. Escaped Chasm (PC) - got 2/4 endings
9. You are Jeff Bezos (PC) - got Neutral and True Endings

Short free satirical text adventure (or socialist propaganda) where you wake up one morning as Jeff Bezos and in order to get back to your own body you have to spend all his money. Amusing for the half hour or so it took to complete twice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 20:24 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)
11) Ape Out (Switch)

14) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4)

That subtitle is shit isn’t it? Never mind though, the game is cracking.

The game is hard yadda yadda combat is interesting yadda yadda but the most interesting thing in my mind is how they turned Stamina on its head. Before you used to release block to gain stamina but now you gain posture damage and hold block to reduce that damage. It’s weird for a Dark Souls fan but it works and soon you’ll be clashing swords with the best of them. And when those swords clash and you’re deflecting incoming strikes, slashing back, standing toe to toe with an enemy and ultimately secure a precious deathblow that ends with someone’s life juice squirting into the sunshine like an amateur sword swallowing event going terribly wrong it’s fucking marvellous. It’s too hard for its own good however but it’s kinda refreshing how FROM make these delicious quality titles that really only cater to the hardcore gaming crowd. There’s absolutely no interest shown to add an easy mode or Nintendofie their Souls-esq games. There’s problems with it that make it less replayable than the Souls games, which is a shame, and the lack of fashion Souls (and therefore the available loot on offer) is a terrible misstep but despite the problems it’s been an interesting and beautiful journey. In fact, the contrast with the Souls games is evident just because you’re travelling a land that isn’t a ruin of a former glory. Some of the locations are marvellous and the Fountainhead Palace was my absolute favourite in any Souls game probably because it’s just so damn pretty.

It’s not for everyone but at least you’ve got bragging rights to say you’ve beaten Sekiro. Now I can say I’ve beaten Sekiro, that bastard foetus guy from Bloodborne and sodding Midir!

9/10

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 21:34 
UltraMod

Well done. I don’t think I’ll play another From game anytime soon. Bloodborne was amazing but also I fucking hated a lot of it.

I will try DS1 again at some point just because I love the world, but I’m not looking forward to the bosses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 22:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
but it’s kinda refreshing how FROM make these delicious quality titles that really only cater to the hardcore gaming crowd.

I'm not convinced I agree with that. FROM sells games that make casual gamers feel like they're hardcore, but really they're not that difficult once you get into them.

Not played S:SDT though. Is there a whip in it?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:32 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss
11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids
15. The London Heist
16. Marie's Room
17. The Birdcage 2
19. >observer.
20. The Enchanted Worlds
21. Mindsweeper

22. Black: The Fall: Inside, but not as good. That's a little bit harsh because it's still a lovely looking game and it has some nice puzzles but it really rips off Inside from the atmosphere to the aesthetic to just the overall feel of the thing. I still really enjoyed it because it's easy to pick up, relatively short and good fun (in a horrible, bleak way) but it's impossible recommend to anyone who hasn't played Inside because they'd be better off with the real deal. And anyone who has played Inside will just be constantly comparing the two.
23. Hitman: well technically the levels of Hitman but played in the Hitman 2 game engine, but I've no idea what differences that brings.

Anyway, my only experience with Hitman has been watching the Outside Xbox crew have comedy adventures with it on YouTube and it looked right up my alley. In practise though it just never entirely clicked with me; I found it frustrating and repetitive in enough places to take the shine off it. Indeed I eventually settled for just playing each level through once before moving on, even though I know the entire design of the thing is to enable multiple playthroughs.

Literally everything you do in the game can be boiled down to 'find vulnerable person with the right uniform, take them out, steal their clothes, do thing'. Which means that every level is just you wandering around until you find a way to get a good disguise and then you're off; with only the further challenge of the often teeth-grindingly annoying 'noticer' characters to avoid as you wander around the place. So for each approach to each mission you either easily get a useful uniform and it's trivial, or you spend ages wandering randomly around getting bored and annoyed. The latter situation often ends with you just doing something annoyingly risky to get what you need which quickly becomes a messy/fiddly round of save reloads until you pull it off; which hardly makes you feel like a master fucking assassin.

I dunno, despite my moans above I'm struggling to nail down exactly why it didn't speak to me because all the pieces are there. God knows it looks lovely, has bags of dark humour and the levels themselves are incredibly impressive complex sandboxes to fuck around in. And I did have a lot of fun with it at times, but the periods of frustration just inevitably seemed to rise up and cancel all that out again. Some levels were definitely worse for this than others (the Marrakesh level is fucking awful when you're out on the streets) but overall it's a disappointing 'meh' from me.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:24 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

That's exactly how I feel about Hitman. It's one of those games that I want to like, but I can't get into it.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 17:57 
Paws for thought

TheVision wrote:
That's exactly how I feel about Hitman. It's one of those games that I want to like, but I can't get into it.

I got killed by a window in the tutorial. I have yet to progress any further.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 17:59 
Bad Girl

I wrote this [about Hitman 2016] and stand by it.

Quote:
I’ve also decided that if you’re the type of person who hasn’t got a lot of time to play games then you won’t get the most out of this densely packed game. If you’ve got no intention of exploring creative kills and just want to kill the targets and move onto the next level then you won’t get much out of this.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 18:01 
UltraMod

I loved it purely for the fact I only had one level to work with (spring pack) so I played it over and over. I’m not sure now I’ve got the full game I’d be quite as fastidious.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 14:32 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss
11. Scavengers Odyssey
12. Modern Warfare
13. Jack N' Jill
14. Snow Kids
15. The London Heist
16. Marie's Room
17. The Birdcage 2
19. >observer.
20. The Enchanted Worlds
21. Mindsweeper

22. Black: The Fall
23. Hitman
24. Through Abandoned: yet another Myst-y pointy click thing on Android from Snap Break. Starts off pleasingly challenging but there are parts of the third chapter that are needlessly and annoyingly obtuse; I suspect partly because there are clues that are barely legible on a small mobile screen.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 18:55 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)
11) Ape Out (Switch)

15) The Messenger (PS4)

Loads of people have said how underrated it is and they’re right. This was really good and I super enjoyed it.

It starts off as a Castlevania OG style of game with the 8-bit graphics and tunes and then it does a time travel thing where the future is all 16-but graphics and updated tunes with more instruments. And the platforming gets more difficult into Celeste territory. Then you finish the game and, nope, you’re only halfway done because now it’s a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night game and you’ve got to use your powers and skills to go on a puzzle quest.

All told it was over in 12 hours.

Complaints: not many, really. The controls are tight but I wished the platforming went more Celeste-ish towards the end as I was just tanking hits and getting through rooms without much effort. The difficulty won’t put many people off though because the only one hit kills are ones where you fall off the screen.

Oh and the writing is top notch. There’s some genuine funny moments. And even the story is great. Especially when you finish the first half.

Gotta give it a good 9/10. If you like retro platformers and Metroidvanias then you’ll get loads out of this.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 19:09 
UltraMod

That sounds up my alley.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 21:21 
Excellent Member

Agreed, that sounds pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 0:23 
Comfortably Dumb

2. Out Run (GBA)
3. Atic Atac (Xbox One)
4. Bust A Groove (PS1)

I don't remember Bust A Groove being so easy, but I only had to continue a couple of times as I hadn't played in years. Still a great game, just rather short.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 20:24 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)
8 ) Golf Story (Switch)
11) Ape Out (Switch)
15) The Messenger (PS4)

16) Split/Second

Finished the season in 1st. The best Burnout game not made by anyone who anything to do with Burnout. Arcade, high octane, Noz, H2O, carburettor, exhaust, monster truck and, most of all, cheap. You can’t finish a race without using the explosive ability, the cars bunch up, zoom off with gay abandon, accelerate faster than you in less powerful cars, will murder you an inch from the finish line and put you in last position, and a whole load of stupid, cheap ass shit. Despite all that, it’s fucking brilliant.

I don’t think I’ve sat through an entire racing game since Burnout: Dominator but this I bloody loved.

9/10

Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next