Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 19:01 
Bad Girl

Urgh, I’ve been avoiding stuff on this and got SPOILERZED earlier about the monkey boss fight. Fucking internet. I swear to god, I’m smashing my phone when Game of Thrones starts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:28 
Bad Girl

Goddamn, I’ve ventured out of the house (for a change) to see if I can pick this up. SOLD OUT everywhere. Jesus Christ.

I check amazon and it’s just shy of £60 for the PS4 version whereas the Xbox version is £46. Scamming cunts. But the Xbox version is a bit crapper so I’ve got to hold out for the PS4 version. PSN is selling it for £60, so I suppose I could download a copy right now at that price, but come on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:52 
Unpossible!

PC version?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Satsuma wrote:
Goddamn, I’ve ventured out of the house (for a change) to see if I can pick this up. SOLD OUT everywhere. Jesus Christ.

How the f#ck is a game sold out ?

FYI - Argos are listing it for £50 is pretty much in stock in all the Argos's around here / Asda locally are also showing in stock (for £1 cheaper)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:58 
Hibernating Druid

DavPaz wrote:
PC version?

Giphy "lolwtf":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/kFjhvSdNzF0B2/giphy-loop.mp4

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 15:15 
Bad Girl

zaphod79 wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

How the f#ck is a game sold out ?

FYI - Argos are listing it for £50 is pretty much in stock in all the Argos's around here / Asda locally are also showing in stock (for £1 cheaper)

Ooh, turns out it’s in stock at an Argos 5 minutes away. Cheers me’duck.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 15:47 
Paws for thought

I'm waiting patiently for Grim... s promised whip only playthrough.

(and dark souls whipping too)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 15:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

A whip only playthrough isn't working so well for Theresa.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 15:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Dave wrote:
I'm waiting patiently for Grim... s promised whip only playthrough.

(and dark souls whipping too)

I didn't say that about this one, did I?

(Fuck! I must do that)

Post subject: Re: Bloodbourne 2
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 15:58 
Paws for thought

When talking about whether it is or is not bloodborne 2...
Grim... wrote:
I bet you £10 having to complete it using only a whip that it is.

So yes, yes you did due to losing that bet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 16:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Piss.

Is there a whip in it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 17:04 
Paws for thought

I believe no.

It's going to be a very hard playthrough.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 18:56 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
PC version?

Lololol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 17:19 
Bad Girl

I’ve finally started this and, not to sound glib, but fuck me this is hard (title). It’s like trying to play Bloodborne but, rather than completely ignoring parrying like most people, you can only parry.

I’ve bested all the Soulsborne games and all their DLC but I can’t even get to the first boss (wherever he may be) because one large minor enemy is absolutely melting my health bar. And he’s supposed to be a ‘training’ enemy cause just before you meet him it first tells you about unblockable hits and how to combat them. Then you practice on this big dude who has absolutely, positively and comprehensively wrecked my shit. And I’ve only had 7 goes at him. He’s like a fucking miniboss but he’s just the training bike.

So yeah, Sekiro ain’t easy but who knew it would be this hard.

It’s funny though cause I’ve been smashing through the grunts and it feels pretty fucking badass as you run into a pack of dudes, parry, instakill, dash, clang swords, parry, instakill, jump, sword strike, shurikan, closing dash, clash swords, parry and instakill.

I’m sure I’ll learn the tells and get the timings right soon enough for this one dude.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 
Bad Girl

Well fuck me, I did it. It took over an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 16:03 
Numbskull

Satsuma wrote:

An hour? You were lucky, took me days (assuming you mean the slow ogre one). It was the one-hit kills that got me, especially the one where he throws you off the cliff. You might be talking about the other sort-of-mini-boss before that, though (General something or other) but you can just run past him. I'm now stuck on the next one (no details as I don't know how to do the spoiler thing).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 16:05 
Numbskull

Oh, and game of the year for me so far (not that much competition, mind).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 16:35 
8-Bit Champion

MrC wrote:
I'm now stuck on the next one (no details as I don't know how to do the spoiler thing).

In case you want to

Type the word spoiler in square brackets then your message and the word /spoiler in square brackets at the end

If you quote this post you should see how this looks

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
This is the spoiler text

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 16:42 
Numbskull

Cheers, Zaphod, I'll give that a test right now

This game is really easy, finished it two hours using only my feet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 16:44 
Numbskull

zaphod79 wrote:
MrC wrote:
I'm now stuck on the next one (no details as I don't know how to do the spoiler thing).

In case you want to

Type the word spoiler in square brackets then your message and the word /spoiler in square brackets at the end

If you quote this post you should see how this looks

This is the spoiler text

Worked perfectly, thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:03 
Bad Girl

MrC wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

An hour? You were lucky, took me days (assuming you mean the slow ogre one). It was the one-hit kills that got me, especially the one where he throws you off the cliff. You might be talking about the other sort-of-mini-boss before that, though (General something or other) but you can just run past him. I'm now stuck on the next one (no details as I don't know how to do the spoiler thing).

It was the General who was giving me loads of bother. I wasn’t going to pass him until I’d beaten him (and it’s worth it for the flask gourd seed upgrade) even though I could just avoid his arena all together. I’m slowing getting into the rhythm of combat now though. Plus I’m still in that Dark Souls frame of mind where I can’t move onto the next area until I’ve killed everyone and rinsed the area of items and stuff to do.

The ogre gave me a load of grief too, mind, and it took absolutely fucking ages until it finally clicked...don’t dash, jump. Always jump. Oh and, don’t hit him more than twice in a row unless he’s stunned. Then it only took me a handful of goes to beat him. So about another hour then...

I’ve now gone *wibbly wobbly* back in time for a bit before I continue onwards.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:07 
Bad Girl

Talking of which, you hear someone bad mouthing the orge and talking about his aversion to fire. I finally found the fire upgrade in the past so I’m wondering whether I should have got that before banging my head up a brick wall.

It’s great stuff so far though.

It’s similar yet different and familiar yet distinct for the Soulsborne series’.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:14 
Numbskull

Satsuma wrote:
Talking of which, you hear someone bad mouthing the orge and talking about his aversion to fire. I finally found the fire upgrade in the past so I’m wondering whether I should have got that before banging my head up a brick wall.

It’s great stuff so far though.

It’s similar yet different and familiar yet distinct for the Soulsborne series’.

So have you beaten the ogre yet? The fire thing helps, but it's not an automatic win. My guess is you'll still be banging your head come the weekend, but if you've finished all the Soulsborne games, you'll be fine. Probably. Maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:18 
Bad Girl

Yeah, he’s deadid.

I’ve got some guy in a white blanket and some long pokey that’s doing my nut in now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:23 
UltraMod

Satsuma wrote:
Soulsborne series.

Sekiroulsborne series

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:43 
Numbskull

Satsuma wrote:
Yeah, he’s deadid.

I’ve got some guy in a white blanket and some long pokey that’s doing my nut in now.

Is that the guy in the past memory? I found him unbeatable so far (I clearly won't be needing the spoiler thing after all). Have you got the Mikiri block skill? (only for thrust attacks) That helps, not enough for me, but that might be an age thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 17:57 
Bad Girl

I’ve got the block skill but I’ve yet to successfully use it. This does not bode well for my future progress...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 18:09 
Numbskull

I thought that as well, but just spam the dodge button and it connects most of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 23:41 
Bad Girl

I’ve managed to do the white sheet guy with the pole arm.

Turns out you can stealth attack him if you don’t trigger his wrath which knocks off one circle (health bar? Whatever they are) and then it’s dead easy as you only have to kill him once more! Yay!

With that in mind it took two hours (on and off) to knock out that one fucking circle. He was utterly bastard hard. I still couldn’t figure out how I killed him in the end. I was attacking and then dodging forward and to the right, and then attacking again, then dodging to forward/right, attacking etc and seconds later he’s dead. Jumping doesn’t help: don’t do it ever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:38 
Numbskull

Satsuma wrote:
I’ve managed to do the white sheet guy with the pole arm.

Turns out you can stealth attack him if you don’t trigger his wrath which knocks off one circle (health bar? Whatever they are) and then it’s dead easy as you only have to kill him once more! Yay!

With that in mind it took two hours (on and off) to knock out that one fucking circle. He was utterly bastard hard. I still couldn’t figure out how I killed him in the end. I was attacking and then dodging forward and to the right, and then attacking again, then dodging to forward/right, attacking etc and seconds later he’s dead. Jumping doesn’t help: don’t do it ever.

Ah, we're probably talking about two different baddies, yours sounds like a proper boss, which means you must be a bit further in. What area was he in?

It also means I'm yet to face him, so thanks for that...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:50 
Bad Girl

He really wasn't a proper boss!

He's the Shinobi Hunter in the Hirata Estates. From the start you head up the road, through the shortcut, past the two guys knocking on the door, up the steps with the two shield guys and across the bridge where there's a large arena with enemies dotted either side (and waist high flowers either side too) and this git roaming at the back near the fog gate.

There's another area off to the left, down the river and up the cliff edge to a load of burning houses but I haven't had a look around there yet. That's a problem for another day...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 14:18 
Numbskull

Oh bugger, that was the guy I was on about after all. I only got to see him a couple of times, because he killed me after about three seconds (did you happen to spot a checkpoint anywhere near there? The only one I found was right at the beginning after the bridge and the gate. It's bit of a hike from there to Mr. Ninja, not to mention the horde of enemies along the way, and all that just to die, resurrect, die again, rip out hair, back to start.

So from what you said, this one might be...a little tricky, then?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 14:47 
Bad Girl

Yeah the nearest checkpoint is the bridge start. You’ll get into a nice routine though:

From the start - jump up the wall and run down the grassy area parrell to the path completely missing the enemies (and those bastard archers)

Jump up and through the shortcut door - run up the path (HOLD CIRCLE for run) and kill the guy banging on the door in a single hit, then wipe out his friend.

Run along up the stairs - kill the guy with the torch before he says “what the-*gurk*” and use the axe prosthetic on the two shield guys instantly sending them to the black land.

On the bridge, use a shurikan at the next guy with the torch to aggro him over to you (without alerting everyone else).

Then run past the big building and hide in the flowers on the left.

Sneak up and stealth kill the archer - wait until the miniboss is turned away.

Then sneak up and stealth kill the boss taking a full circle off him.

That leaves two guys on the right who become aggressive. Run back to the bridge and wait to see who turns up. There’s a small fence next to the bridge and you can give the boss the run around that to give you some breathing space. You could leave him there while you take out the two remaining guys.

Then it’s just the boss. I found hitting him twice and dashing forward to his right worked best for me. Keep repeating this until he’s dead or you smash your PlayStation into bits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 15:03 
Numbskull

Excellent tips, cheers (I completely forgot the shortcut door).

I'll definitely give that another go, at the moment I'm struggling with the probably-a-proper-boss at the end of the Ashina area, I won't spoil it in case you haven't met him yet, but it's one of those two-stage things, the first one is perfectly doable with a bit of practice, but he kills me every time on the second stage. But I knew what I was buying with another From Software game, pure masochism, but somehow they get their hooks into you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 17:13 
Bad Girl

I’m slowly getting into the combat now; ever so slowly. For example, I had a go at the samurai dude just after the ogre and did alright taking him down on the second attempt (that day) then I went back and did the massive drunk bastard and somehow managed to cheese him to death (he forgot I was there at one point so I snuck up and robbed him of half his life).

I was feeling quite smug by this point.

Then I fell down a big hole and met a headless ghost. He killed me. Then I met a snake. He killed me. Then I met a guy on a horse. He killed me. Then I met an old woman. She killed me. Then I killed an old woman. Then she came back and killed me.

Fucking game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:31 
Bad Girl

This is getting reet good.

Once you get rid of the flaming bull, the levels really open up with multiple routes.

I had my first Dark Souls moment an’ all where I walked out next to a broken bridge and looked across the chasm only to see somewhere I’d been right at the start of the game (which was weird because I thought I might have been there before when I’d really been miles away).

Anyway, it’s reet fooking good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 18:56 
Numbskull

Satsuma wrote:
Once you get rid of the flaming bull, the levels really open up with multiple routes.

Anyway, it’s reet fooking good.

About the bull...after a great day finally beating the guy on a horse, the ninja and the second general, I'm on my knees again (and on fire) with that bull, after what seems like 100 tries. I admit I looked it up. Some of the ideas made sense, but just out of curiosity, what strategy worked for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 20:16 
Bad Girl

I had real difficulty with this one. I was always running after him to get chops in at his hind legs while avoiding his face. The firecrackers are quite good for slowing down the fight and the wide radius means you can run behind him, drop the crackers, stun him and get in some hits.

I tried the quick kill method by facing him head on and trying to parry but that went to shit every time. Basically the long game is longer but safer.

It gets loads better after the bull though. He’s a real choke point.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 20:40 
Numbskull

Satsuma wrote:
I had real difficulty with this one. I was always running after him to get chops in at his hind legs while avoiding his face. The firecrackers are quite good for slowing down the fight and the wide radius means you can run behind him, drop the crackers, stun him and get in some hits.

I tried the quick kill method by facing him head on and trying to parry but that went to shit every time. Basically the long game is longer but safer.

It gets loads better after the bull though. He’s a real choke point.

Cheers, so it's worth persevering, then. I think a certain amount of luck is needed with this one. Loads better? You waved a big carrot there, it was already great, so probably worth dying a few (hundred) times, even if it means my whole house and neighbourhood going down to Dragonrot. Swings and roundabouts.

Know what you mean with parrying the charge, didn't pull that off a single time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 21:00 
Bad Girl

Yup, after the bull there’s a few mini bosses and a really good boss fight I’m on now in a route above, another area up a mountain, a route down the mountains and an area beneath the mountain that’s very Sekisoulsborne thanks to another, urgh...

poison swamp.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 22:31 
Bad Girl

Genichiro is deadid. That was a corking fight that kinda teaches you to use attack cancelling. He was absolutely thrashing me (especially on his shitty second phase) but I got stuck in and came out on top after a number of times so large I couldn’t keep track.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:11 
Bad Girl

I think I’ve rinsed the temple on the mountain as much as I can. The final bit of mucking around was this bloody centipede guy who, at first, seems completely insurmountable. This guy paddles you in a continuous stream of slashes and swipes but then you GITGUDtm and suddenly you’re deflecting all of his strikes like you’re in a fucking god in a bullet hell shooter which leaves him completely exhausted and you just shove a sword down his trachea.

This game is fucking awesome.

Shame about the lack of coop though. I can imagine there might be a lot of people who don’t take to the combat at all and just give up very early on while some ‘jolly cooperation’ might have alleviated that stress of being a shit newbie. The lack of any assistance whatsoever is really missed. Not that I used it much on Dark Souls, mind, but it was always fun getting others in to your game for a scrap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 18:56 
Bad Girl

Just doing the Sunken Valley boss (he killed me) and all I can say is ‘what the fuck was that?’

When I chopped his head off and it says boss killed. I thought I was done. Then he picks up his head... That was Cool. As. Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 19:01 
Bad Girl

Also his special attack is hilarious.

He does a shit and lobs it at you.

This may be my favourite ever SekiSoulsBorne boss.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 19:25 
UltraMod

Mr Chonks wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
Soulsborne series.

Sekiroulsborne series

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:28 
Bad Girl

Ok, here’s some moans:

1) The loot isn’t very interesting. Since there’s no fashion Souls (you heard, none at all) it’s all the same consumable items which kinda takes the edge off exploration. I like exploring the nooks for shortcuts and hidden areas but when a place just leads to a bit of loot unless there’s a tasty energy Pearl there isn’t any payoff.

2) Two boss fights have been reused so far. One was mixed up slightly (and it might have been the exact same animal - but maybe not, I wouldn’t know unless I did the bosses in a different order on NG+) but one was just the same guy but somewhere else. Mind you, Dark Souls has done this before with, say, Capra Demon becoming just a regular cunty enemy.

3) Miyazaki loves his poison swamps. And he loves his invisible enemies. Thankfully neither are particularly problematic: you can grapple around the swamps and at least you can lock on to the invisible guys!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 22:43 
Bad Girl

The Blazing Bull fight, which apparently is everyone’s pain the ass boss, has been nerfed in today’s patch.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 17:11 
Bad Girl

Almost threw my controller into the TV after banging my head against the Owl in Hirata. Still can’t do the fucker.

The only other direction I’ve got left was a bloody Monk with 3 health pools. I smashed my face against the Monk’s giant blade for an hour before taking a break.

Fortunately I found a cheese spot to smash the Monk from and now my nerves are calmed somewhat.

Elsewhere I’ve resorted to a guide to get the hardest ending (and convoluted). I hate myself. A bit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:51 
8-Bit Champion

Tsk all those people suggesting its hard

And is it really only 22 minutes long - rip off ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 14:37 
Paws for thought

Satsuma wrote:
Almost threw my controller into the TV after banging my head against the Owl in Hirata. Still can’t do the fucker.

Git gud.

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next