Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Borderlands 2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 
Hello Hello Hello

You should definitely try to find the time for BL2 and all the DLCs, they're toweringly awesome.

Would get a place in my 'Top Ten Games Ever' list, without a doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm going to play through Borderlands 2 again, it's re-downloading on Steam now.

I was watching the Angry Joe Extended Review of Anthem (which they have torn to shreds) and they were asking each other 'What's the best looter shooter ever?' to which they decided the answer is BL2.

I agree with them, and it's one of my favourite games ever, so I'm going to play through it again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

All the reviews of Anthem I've seen are negative, but I've yet to speak to someone I know who has played it that doesn't rave about it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:25 
Hibernating Druid

Work mate says it's laughably broken. Even after the first wave of patches.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:05 
Hello Hello Hello

Me and Mrs Hearthly are now doing a co-op playthrough of this. I remember me and the guys tried to do a co-op playthrough many years ago and it was a bombsite, with people turning quests in and setting new quests off all the time, or triggering travel or custcenes and generally just making it impossible to enjoy the game and the dialogue, take our time over loot and so on. Also, one of our number was an absolute fucking loot hoover so after a boss kill or suchlike you'd get a brief glimpse of purple or orange and then they'd be gone as he swooped in to grab everything, then denied all knowledge he had anything nice he might like to share.

However, with just me and Mrs Hearthly playing we can co-operate a lot better, take our time, and enjoy everything the game has to offer, and 'cause we're sat in the same room, it's nice and easy to co-ordinate activities, trade loot, agree on what we're doing, when to turn a quest in, or start one off, and so on.

(If you've ever tried to play this game co-op, I suspect you'll know what I'm talking about.)

Anyway, it's still a peerlessly brilliant game, one of the most well written games I've ever played.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 16:49 
Hello Hello Hello

Heh.

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key

Attachment:
keyzersose.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:30 
Esoteric

BL in co op was what really drew me into co op. I'd played L4D a few times but since playing through all three BL games with my buddy life has never been quite the same.

Hoping the true third installment is this year, that would be ace. Finished FC New Dawn tonight (hence the late post) and it has come to a conclusion so roll on FC6 too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:43 
Hello Hello Hello

On the one hand I'm looking forward to BL3, but on the other hand if ever there was a game that was absolutely ripe to be completely fucked up by the 'live service microtransaction game model', it's Borderlands.

As I've been playing through it with Mrs Hearthly I've been struck, time and time again, by how generous the game feels compared to the stripped out experiences we often get foisted upon us today.

BL2 has a complete base game and four generous full expansions, along with the two extra character classes that were very reasonably priced DLC.

Beyond that, everything in the game is provided by the game's systems and for want of a better word, is complete.

You just know that if they want to be dicks about it, they'd be selling stuff like Eridium for real cash, and nerfing the drop rate of it in the game. The golden chest in Sanctuary? Buy some keys with real money!

The game's loot system is really well balanced, giving plenty of opportunities for nice gear rewards, but still making it feel good when you get a solid upgrade. It'd be so easy to tweak the game's gear down a notch or two, and have a convenient loot box vendor in the main city, just for top up purposes in the name of 'player choice'.

And that's before you even get started on all the free cosmetic stuff that BL2 contains, which they could totally monetise the shit out of.

Finally, god help us if they go down the 'live service always online' route. IMO one of the things that's made looter shooters so dull in recent years is the need to balance everything in the game on the expectation you'll be playing with random people online at some point or indeed routinely, so they just can't have insane gear drop potential because you could go into a game with some random folks and be totally overpowered compared to them. (I mean, just look at Anthem, fucking hell that game is BORING.)

With BL2, as it's solo play or co-op with friends, it doesn't matter that you might get lucky and have Bewm & Boom drop a Level 5 grenade that'll still be BIS at Level 12, because it's 'your' game, or just your game with friends. When I throw one of those grenades (I forget the name of it now), I let Mrs Hearthly know, as its blast radius is so insane (one grenade that spawns eight child grenades), we both need to be well out of the area. You simply couldn't have something like that in a game being played with random strangers.

So yeah, I'm excited for BL3, but also worried.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 
Esoteric

The micro transaction shite had crept into FC New Dawn. We struggled for ages with crap weapons refusing to buy credits. Then we realised toward the end of the game that if we'd done the expeditions we'd have had sick weaponry fast. The thing is? It doesn't tell you that doing them gives you the circuit boards.

A bit crafty that.

BL3 has definitely been in dev long enough to have enough content though, so there's that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 17:11 
Hello Hello Hello

JohnCoffey wrote:
BL3 has definitely been in dev long enough to have enough content though, so there's that.

Anthem was in development for six years and look at that...

Also, by all accounts chunks of it have been removed to be 'added' again later, so for example in the campaign a character will turn up you seem to know, but in reality you've never met them before.

Plus in the E3 footage there were loads of extra cosmetics on many of the character screens, which are conspicuous by their absence in the released game. i.e. This is clearly content that had been completed, but was then stripped out of the released game to be sold as 'extras'.

Don't underestimate the ability of publishers to fuck with their games to nickel and dime their players.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 0:07 
Esoteric

Not played Anthem. Next on my list is Division 2. I bought it today, just waiting on my key :)

Been quite good for gaming so far, this year. New Dawn was good, Metro is lovely (more as a story than a game because there's not that much actual game in there) and I have Division 2 to look forward to, only this time I won't be nerfed by the fact my mate was like level 25 when I started so the co op action was basically me watching and continually dying as there was no point shooting any one as it just made them angry and shoot at me more. Yeah, maybe I should have jumped on that earlier...(ed, The Division. Like, one).

I must say I did quite enjoy Borderlands TPS, once the first crappy boring four hour grind was over. It actually grew on me quite quickly after that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:11 

Looking forward to playing this again once the PSVR version sees a price drop.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:26 
Hibernating Druid

:this:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 
chewbacca -future arc welder

:this:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 
Hibernating Druid

Does the VR version have multiplayer?!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:05 
Hibernating Druid

No :'(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:25 
Hello Hello Hello

Also, Claptrap has a different voice.

Not much different though.

(The guy who voiced Claptrap left Gearbox a little while ago.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 13:35 
Esoteric

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/softwa ... is_month/1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Cheeky little trick to farm Eridium, that's quite fun to do and effective. (Saw it in one of the many BL2 videos I've been watching recently.)

Basically, you take a high level character (my highest is Level 52), and open the Golden Chest in Sanctuary with a Golden Key. Take the items from the chest and put them in Claptrap's Super Secret Stash.

Then log on with a low level character you want the Eridium on, and retrieve the items from the stash. These items will vendor for a massive amount of cash relative to your low level character's wealth. (The items my Level 52 was getting out of the chest vendor for around 40-50K, and a Level 15 will generally have 2K on them.)

Once you've vendored the items, go to the slot machines in Sanctuary with your big wedge of cash, and merrily spin away. (The cost of the slot machine spins scale with level, so at Level 15 it's about $250 to spin the machine.)

The slot machine has the following probabilities of spinning an Eridium winning combination.

SINGLE ERIDIUM BARS - 4 Eridium - 2.56%
DOUBLE ERIDIUM BARS - 8 Eridium - 0.77$
TRIPLE ERIDIUM BARS - 12 Eridium - 0.23%

Obviously with the normal bankroll of a low level character, you'd run out of cash long before you could reliably harvest a decent haul of Eridium, but with the high level character twinking down nice purples to vendor, cash is effectively unlimited.

I've done it on my two new low level characters, and I also went the extra step and traded a couple of items with Mrs Hearthly for her to vendor, here she is rinsing the machines in Sanctuary on her Level 17 character. (It costs $333 to spin the machine at Level 17.) She's hit the double bars on the right hand machine for 8 Eridium.

Obviously you're limited in what you can buy with Eridium, but the nice big backpack and plenty of extra ammo capacity of all the different weapon classes is a very pleasant quality of life improvement.

Attachment:
slotters.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:28 
Hello Hello Hello

Worth a video? Probably not, but that's never stopped me before.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:22 
Hello Hello Hello

Not quite the right thread for this but I bought the original Borderlands on Steam last night.

It got a GOTY Remastered/Enhanced release a few days ago (XB1/PS4/PC). The original GOTY edition has been out forever of course, but they've given it a few new shinies and better textures and a few tweaks here and there to gameplay systems to make them a bit smoother. (Can't comment on how effective they are since I've never seen or played it in its original form.)

I didn't really know what to expect but immediately found myself very much enjoying it. The writing isn't as clever as BL2 but it's better than I was expecting, and gameplay wise it's very much like BL2.

The world design is much more constrained (I wouldn't go as far as to say 'corridor shooter' but definitely a long way from BL2), but I didn't feel it much suffered as a result.

Not sure how much it is on consoles but on PC it's only £24.99, which seems quite bargainous to me.

If you want MOAR BORDERLANDS and haven't played this before, I'd say give it a go, since there are six months to wait for BL3!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 
UltraMod

Borderlands has its own thread you know. You should put it in there where it is right and proper.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... f=3&t=4511

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:30 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm not typing one word into a search box!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:34 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
I'm not typing one word into a search box!

Then how can you expect everyone else to conform to your arbitrary thread sorting system eh? Eh?

Be the true gent Sat wants, nay, needs you to be.

Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10