Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finish 52 Challenge (2019)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 14:20 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
2) Detroit: Become Human (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)

6) Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PS4)

It’s Castlevania, init, but that’s all right cause the creator of this created Castlevania. It’s all NES style graphics, retro-ish music and sound effects and it’s bloody great fun. It took a good few hours to plough through but it’s not a very long game - the in-game counter says 2 hours but I’ve been playing it longer than that with deaths and restarts.

Weirdly, I’ve only ever played Castlevania 1 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I’ve got Super Castlevania. I might give that a play now.

This is more Castlevania 1 than Symphony so it’s a straight forward affair, although it’s got branching paths, multiple characters and ways to play and a final level and true ending that you can only get once you complete it for a second time.

Anyhoo, Bloodstained is only a fiver or so and needs some more love so here’s a trailer for you to gawk at.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:14 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
3. Lego Lord of the Rings
4. Faraway 4: another Faraway game; another slice of mobile gaming awesomeness. I'll just copy my own comments about the previous game as I feel the same about this one: "the fourth instalment in a puzzley escape type game for Android with a lovely tactile control scheme and nice low-poly art style. It's not the hardest game in the world, but each level uses a new type of puzzle so the variety keeps it interesting. Also, the 'key' to the final door for each level is in itself a clue for an optional, and much harder, puzzle and that aspect is what really grabbed me this time around. I've really, really enjoyed this series so far and this recent one is no exception; proper brilliant commute fodder and just what I want out of a mobile game." The only thing I'll add is that I think they did slightly ramp up the puzzle difficulty this time in the later levels, and certainly some of the optional harder puzzles were definitely more difficult, which was welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 15:50 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
I’ll tell you what I did get that I thought was interesting. I’m ranked 1613 in the world on it. That’s pretty good. Right?

I’ve enjoyed Guacamelee so much I thought I’d go back and get all the golden key and get the secret ending. The key sections (and the bit after you get the key) are some of the hardest and most annoying platforming sections in the entire game. I got it though cause I’m not no suckah.

Final playtime is now 12 hours and 20 minutes.

And I’ve dropped down my rank to 1618 in the world! Foook.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 16:46 
Paws for thought

1: Prey 2017(PC)
2: The Room(PC)
3: The Room 2 (PC)
4: Night in the woods (PC)
5: Ghost of a tale (PC)

Mouse simulator. Generally enjoyable, but hard to recommend.. Very pretty, and your character is very much cute mouse. The world is engaging, with multiple things you could be doing, and a general level of ambiguity pulling you through.
For the bad part, however, it's a stealth game that fails at being an engaging stealth game on two main points.1) you'll end up trading the same routes, and learn how to get through them all fairly quickly.
2) Very quickly, you'll get a disguise that renders all stealth pointless at the cost of moving very slowly. And then it simply becomes a case of trying to figure out how to progress quests. While moving really slowly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:11 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)

7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)

This is a weird one. For starters the campaign is much smaller than the previous games and it’s melee and bows only set in 10,000 BC. And I loved it!

For about 5 hours.

Then it broke.

The combat starts off quite difficult as you swing bats and clubs and stealth kill guys and gals in prehistoric times because if you alert a crowd you’ll get smashed to bits, you won’t have enough resources to keep your arrows topped up and the spongy heavy enemies take a shit load to arrows or taps to the bonce to kill. So you stealth around sites, doing the usual stuff (seriously, it’s identical to the other entries with the same enemy types, and you even have to smash all the horns in a camp so they don’t call for reenforcements. Ah well) before you tick off another outpost to the collection as you cautiously progress around the initial areas of the map. You’ll meet giant woolly rhinos, mammoths, no dinosaurs, killer bears, wolves, rabid dog things and so on. And these animals will give you a real pounding. Please don’t fuck with the bears or mammoths cause they will trample you and The Revenant your ass.

So the world is nasty and hostile and that’s good because you play more cautiously.

Then you hit to 4-5 hour mark and you’ve progressed a load of the story, unlocked most of the weapons, upgraded said weapons and you’ve got a fucking Sabre Wolf as a companion (it’s awesome) and enough resources to survive any battle. So you pick a difficult camp say “fuck stealth” and literally smash right through the front door and then through skulls. Frankly, either the AI can’t cope or you become OP too quick. I had no difficulty after the 5 hour mark picking a single camp and just running in and clubbing heads with my giant sabre wolf tiger. I did all the outposts, all the bonfires and all the campaign missions by the 8 hour mark and by the 12 hour mark I’d completed all the side quests, a couple of puzzle caves, 3 of the 4 big hunts for beasts (is so the last one but it got too easy and I was a bit bored) and got the ending. My completion percentage? 40%. The rest of the game is just filled with crap loads of icons to do other stuff like more hunting and beating heads, but I’d had enough.

The weird thing is, I loved all of it except until it was a cake walk. The combat is meaty and satisfying. There’s nothing in the other Far Cry games that comes close to charging up to an enemy and doing a massive swing to the cranium and killing them in one hit from a massive death blow. It’s fucking ace. Even the bow and arrow stuff is great as head shots are one hit kills. Or charging a guy with a spear? What about throwing a 5 foot spear into someone’s face? Even better.

I think it’s probably a matter of perspective: if you don’t have much time (or patience perhaps) to play games you’ll probably have a good time playing through this to completion without much difficulty, but I need a game to feel like a challenge to overcome (especially given the setting, I mean come on, I smashed the giant Bloodtusk Mammoth to bits and that SHOULD have been the ultimate challenge in the game being by far the largest enemy) and that challenge fell off a cliff quite soon into the game. Oh and it doesn’t help that you have infinite health revives like every other Far Cry game I’ve played. So if you run out of healing items you just pop a finger back into place or something daft and get health that way. It takes longer than healing but it’s infinite. They should have taken that out.

Anyhoo, Far Cry Primal is pretty good. I know, I’m surprised as anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 13:22 
UltraMod

1. Outrun SEGA AGES (Switch) – reached all five destinations and unlocked all power ups on easy difficulty and long time limit; finished game using all power ups at normal difficulty and normal time limit

This is how you do a retro port! True widescreen support (not stretched), even 16-bit chiptune versions of different Outrun port music. 60fps in special mode but 30fps in arcade mode (as per the original arcade). Lots of different cabinets and view modes.

I haven’t finished it in arcade mode at normal difficulty and normal time limit, but I’ve got to stage four. It’s still hard!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 18:21 
Comfortably Dumb

1. Super Double Dragon (SNES)

The good -
- satisfying combat, including counter-attacks, combos and some weapons that do large amounts of damage, particularly the nunchucks.

The bad -
- too easy. Finished it second go
- No intro, no cut-scenes, no game over sequence and even when you complete the game, you get a bit of scrolling text and a 'The End' which you can't exit from without resetting
- Ordinary bosses - most are just slightly bigger than the usual enemies and suck up more damage

Reading up about it on wikipedia, there's apparently some special move system involving the L and R buttons.. missed that completely and didn't need it anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 20:26 
Master of dodgy spelling....

1. Assassins Creed - Unity

The usual, hacky, slashly, sneaky stabby game. But set around the time of the french revolution.

I finished the main quest and the cafe quests. 8/10 for me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 16:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

1. Resident Evil 2: Leon

With the Yes, Chef!s providing a little help and a lot of moaning, we blitzed RE2 on Standard Mode. It's really good, although Mr X (or The Tyrant, depending on what name you use) starts off scary but ends up just being annoying.

Some bits are difficult but mostly it's fairly easy once you get the hang of it. I do wish there was some melee options, though.

Overall, it's pretty damned good, and highly recommend.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 16:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Grim... wrote:
1. Resident Evil 2: Leon

2. Resident Evil 2: Claire + "true" ending

It's still good, and a lot easier when you're not worrying about using your big guns (I finished the Leon campaign with about six million bullets).

The proper ending is interesting, and you unlock the Hunk mission, which is fucking impossible.

Resident Evil Prohint: nothing and no-one is ever dead.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 16:13 
Paws for thought

Grim... wrote:
Resident Evil Prohint: no-one is ever dead.

Isn't that the entire point of zombies?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 16:23 

Grim... wrote:
With the Yes, Chef!s providing a little help and a lot of moaning
CAPTAIN FUCKING NAVIGATION

Also I did quite a lot of the game while Cras was wussing out and refusing to touch the pad, thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:15 
Bad Girl

Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)

8 ) Golf Story (Switch)

The highlights: not a bad game of golf. Like that Gameboy golf game - top down, arcade & simplistic but fun in short bursts.

Graphics: Pixel art *shudder* but serviceable
Music: teeth nashingly horrible. Tweet and cute in part but mainly just fucking ear grating. Too few instruments, repetitive, noticeable for all the wrong reasons.
Story: Far, Far, FAR too long. Mostly boring outside of playing the golf, often repetitive, some irritating design choices and running about for no reason, absolutely no pay off at the end, a bit about an ex wife who takes all your earnings who then never pops up again, no love interest for yourself, the coach’s love interest goes nowhere, but sometimes it’s quite humourous. The rap battle was alright but, again, took far too long. Hurt my thumb clicking through the dialogue.
Computer things: it lacks polish, the music sometimes cuts out to play another song and then comes back. Just minor irritations that I don’t expect to see in a game.

Overal: not worth your time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:38 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
1) Iconoclasts (PS4)
3) Far Cry 5 (Xbox)
4) Shadow Warrior (Xbox)
5) Guacamelee 2 (PS4)
7) Far Cry Primal (PS4)

8 ) Golf Story (Switch)

The highlights: not a bad game of golf. Like that Gameboy golf game - top down, arcade & simplistic but fun in short bursts.

Graphics: Pixel art *shudder* but serviceable
Music: teeth nashingly horrible. Tweet and cute in part but mainly just fucking ear grating. Too few instruments, repetitive, noticeable for all the wrong reasons.
Story: Far, Far, FAR too long. Mostly boring outside of playing the golf, often repetitive, some irritating design choices and running about for no reason, absolutely no pay off at the end, a bit about an ex wife who takes all your earnings who then never pops up again, no love interest for yourself, the coach’s love interest goes nowhere, but sometimes it’s quite humourous. The rap battle was alright but, again, took far too long. Hurt my thumb clicking through the dialogue.
Computer things: it lacks polish, the music sometimes cuts out to play another song and then comes back. Just minor irritations that I don’t expect to see in a game.

Overal: not worth your time.

Title

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:03 
UltraMod

As a counterpoint, I really enjoyed the story, the ex-wife definitely pops up again and I quite liked the music too.

Definitely worth your time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:23 
Bad Girl

Oh and it’s piss easy an’ all. I never once lost a match throughout.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 16:24 
Bad Girl

Quote:
the ex-wife definitely pops up again

But never as part of the story. Just a cameo in the post-credits.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 13:27 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

1) Crackdown 3

Excellent single player pew pew, punch things until they explode simulator.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 14:14 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
5. Legacy 3 - The Hidden Relic: Myst-like point-and-clicker for Android. There's obviously a lot of effort gone into the game which I appreciate and, while the graphics are mostly just functional, the developer clearly has a gift for designing the sort of alien structures that are initially incomprehensible but come clear as you fiddle with them; which is a big part of these kind of games. On the downside the puzzles themselves are all over the map. You'll have great stretches of the game with satisfying stuff that makes you feel smart for figuring out followed by equal stretches of shit that you'd almost certainly never have figured out in a million years so the overall experience is wildly inconsistent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 14:57 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Obligatory mention that the Myst books are really good (except for the third one).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myst-Book-Atru ... 018&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 23:06 
UltraMod

1. Outrun SEGA AGES (Switch) – reached all five destinations and unlocked all power ups on easy difficulty and long time limit; finished game using all power ups at normal difficulty and normal time limit
2. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Switch) – completed all three episodes with 159 diamonds

This was a game that I didn’t manage to play on the Wii U, even though it intrigued me. I didn’t think they’d manage to make an excellent game out of the Super Mario 3D World minigame, but it really works! Not being able to jump makes the game play totally different to Mario, even if a lot of the art assets have been reused.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes Nintendo games, platforming and puzzles.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:58 
Excellent Member

That Captain Toad game is one of the very few Nintendo exclusives from the last few years that has appealed to me (from what I've seen of it anyway). The levels look like increasingly intricate puzzle boxes and I love that idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 13:00 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
That Captain Toad game is one of the very few Nintendo exclusives from the last few years that has appealed to me (from what I've seen of it anyway). The levels look like increasingly intricate puzzle boxes and I love that idea.

If only you were visiting soon and could have a go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 13:13 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:

If only you were visiting soon and could have a go

What a world that would be...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:10 

Lonewolves wrote:

This is how you do a retro port! True widescreen support (not stretched), even 16-bit chiptune versions of different Outrun port music. 60fps in special mode but 30fps in arcade mode (as per the original arcade). Lots of different cabinets and view modes.

I haven’t finished it in arcade mode at normal difficulty and normal time limit, but I’ve got to stage four. It’s still hard!

I've bought this now you dick. I wonder how many formats I've played Out Run on?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:14 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Good question... Same with me. Off the top of my head.

Amiga
Master system
Megadrive
Saturn
Dreamcast
Arcade (this covers the arcade, PC, Xbox, GPD XD)
3DS
Switch
PSP

The 3DS is my favourite.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 16:48 

I don't remember playing it on the PSP, but I'd have thought I would have if I could.
I think I might have emulated the Megadrive version at some point.
Never had a Saturn.
Was it in Shenmue II on the Dreamcast (if that counts), or that Yu Suzuki compilation (or both)?

As a bonus, I've also played it on the PC (I think, I seem to remember budget kixx games coming with an Amiga version and a PC version), Atari ST, and of course, the Spectrum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 16:50 

Oh, and technically I've not played it on the Switch yet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 16:54 
UltraMod

Amiga
Arcade
3DS
Switch

I think that’s it for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 19:45 

30 years on, I'm no better at it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 0:06 
UltraMod

Joans wrote:
30 years on, I'm no better at it.

On the authentic arcade mode I still can’t get to stage 3 no matter which route I take.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:35 

I've not unlocked authentic arcade mode yet :'(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 19:19 

Joans wrote:
I don't remember playing it on the PSP, but I'd have thought I would have if I could.
I think I might have emulated the Megadrive version at some point.
Never had a Saturn.
Was it in Shenmue II on the Dreamcast (if that counts), or that Yu Suzuki compilation (or both)?

As a bonus, I've also played it on the PC (I think, I seem to remember budget kixx games coming with an Amiga version and a PC version), Atari ST, and of course, the Spectrum.

Oh, and PC Engine (emulated) and the PS2 (which was a bit weird).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 17:41 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
5. Legacy 3 - The Hidden Relic
6. Assassin's Creed Origins: Holy shit this is a long game. Like '70 hours to finish it to a point, but with still loads of side quests and shit littering the map' sort of long. 'The longest time I've ever spent on a single game' levels of long. So value for money certainly, but is it fun? Short answer: yes, loads!

The combat will never trouble Dark Souls of course, but it's a step above the button bashing you'd expect from these games. And it's arguably secondary because most of the time you're stealthy ninja creep murdering which is never not a whole load of fun. It looks fucking incredible, the music is surprisingly awesome (to the point that I'd find myself humming the title tune along with the PS4 every time the game started up) and main character is a decent sort. Though more time spent playing as his bad-ass secret agent wife would've been appreciated.

It's definitely over-stuffed mind you and a shortening of the main plotline would be appreciated; every time you think it's finished it pulls more stuff out of the bag to the point it over-stays it's welcome. Also: fuck the ship combat. Thankfully there's not much of it but I audibly groaned every time it forced me into it.

The levelling system is a bit flawed in that you're consistently over-levelled for ages, then there's a tipping point where suddenly camps are full of double-hard bastards that you actually can't kill (and that's with me doing loads of side stuff all the time). It settles back down to a more consistent approach after that weird point but it was still galling to be sent on a 'daily quest' by the shopkeeper dude that you couldn't hope to complete.

Overall it's very much 'Ubisoft open world game' and if you're not into those then your mind won't be changed here but as someone who's into that genre (when played sparingly) I had a whale of a time. Bonus amusement: every time someone says the main character's name you can imagine it said in a Yorkshire accent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 17:45 
Unpossible!

By-eck, you're right!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
6. Assassin's Creed Origins
7. Red Matter: PSVR puzzler that I heard really good things about in terms of immersion, graphics and overall quality; so it was quite disappointing to find that none of that was really true. I mean it wasn't a bad game per se but it was just a lot more basic than I was expecting with puzzles that were never particularly challenging, an atmosphere that didn't manage the creepiness it was shooting for, an environment that was little more than a series of stand alone rooms strung together and a story that never actually engaged me. It should be pointed out that some of the navigation issues that annoyed me could've probably been solved if I'd changed some of the options before I started playing (turning off a lot of the comfort settings would've made things smoother) but that wouldn't have changed anything else that disappointed me. :(
8. Oddmar: 2D Android platformer that desperately wants to be Rayman...and mostly succeeds given that it's fucking beautiful, stuffed with charm and has good boss fights. The general level design misses the mark a little, but given the incredible amount of imagination that goes into a Rayman game (by which I mean the proper games, not the irritating fucking one-touch mobile things) an indie mobile dev was realistically never going to hit those heights. Either way, this is perfect commuting fodder and one of the better mobile games I've played in a good while.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:09 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
8. Oddmar: 2D Android platformer that desperately wants to be Rayman...and mostly succeeds given that it's fucking beautiful, stuffed with charm and has good boss fights. The general level design misses the mark a little, but given the incredible amount of imagination that goes into a Rayman game (by which I mean the proper games, not the irritating fucking one-touch mobile things) an indie mobile dev was realistically never going to hit those heights. Either way, this is perfect commuting fodder and one of the better mobile games I've played in a good while.

A Rayman-like game on mobile? That sounds like phone-smashing material with touch controls.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 
Excellent Member

Findus Fop wrote:
Bamba wrote:

A Rayman-like game on mobile? That sounds like phone-smashing material with touch controls.

It's not very difficult which makes up for it. The only real challenge comes with the boss fights but even the hardest of those only took me a handful of attempts. And each attempt got me a bit further along which suggests they'd pitched the difficulty pretty well there. There are collectibles and timers to beat for the non-boss levels so there's replayability baked in there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:54 
Bad Girl

The Rayman mobile running games are pretty fun, actually. And they look fantastic too. And the music is great. Pretty sure they’re both free to play now too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 14:42 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
The Rayman mobile running games are pretty fun, actually. And they look fantastic too. And the music is great. Pretty sure they’re both free to play now too.

They're fun up to a point. That point being when the tip over into piss-boiling frustration.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 15:38 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek: another Fire Maple pointy-clicker. I enjoy their house style and this one was no different so good stuff all round.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 15:47 
Excellent Member

Man, at this point in previous years I'd completed anywhere between 27 and 32 games. I'm so totally slacking off right now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 15:55 
Bad Girl

Bamba wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

They're fun up to a point. That point being when the tip over into piss-boiling frustration.

That was somewhere near the last few levels for me (the underworld ones). I expect yours was much further back. You can’t complain much for the free price of admission though. There’s a ton of levels and both games take ages to get through (well, the two games I played to the end. I’m not sure if they released any further games in the series.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 16:27 
Excellent Member

Satsuma wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

That was somewhere near the last few levels for me (the underworld ones). I expect yours was much further back. You can’t complain much for the free price of admission though. There’s a ton of levels and both games take ages to get through (well, the two games I played to the end. I’m not sure if they released any further games in the series.)

I'm sure I remember paying for at least one of them? Or, at least, an IAP to unlock levels.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 16:33 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Man, at this point in previous years I'd completed anywhere between 27 and 32 games. I'm so totally slacking off right now.

She’s old, dump her

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 16:38 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:

She’s old, dump her

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 16:57 
Excellent Member

Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:

She’s old, dump her

Dude.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 18:59 
UltraMod

Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:

She’s old, dump her

Dude.

I apologise if you took that other than the way intended.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:36 
Excellent Member

1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss: PSVR puzzle-platform fairytale.

Let's get the negatives out of the way: as with a lot of VR games this is too easy and arguably too short at about four hours or so. There's a couple of moments when the combat approaches something like a challenge but that's just because of the sheer number of enemies on screen rather than any inherent difficulty.

It's still well worth playing from my point if view because everything about it is just so fucking lovely. It looks really nice (for a VR game) and the main character Quill is charming as all shit; with loads of little animation and interactive touches (e.g. after a particular section she holds her paw out to get a high five from you) that didn't need to be there but add so much to the personality of the game. The actual mechanics are really fun as well because you not only control the on-screen character with the pad but you can also reach into the game and directly manipulate certain aspects. In fact the latter is key, and a lot of the puzzles involve you as the in-universe Reader character manipulating things to allow Quill to progress. You can even control the enemy characters by dragging them around the play area and forcing them to fire their weapons etc which is required in a few places.

The atmosphere of the thing is also lovely. Although there are a few combat sections where the rhythm of the game speeds up, it's mostly just you and Quill exploring quiet spaces in a world emptied by some unseen but apparently desperate conflict. Obviously this makes things easier for the developers but it also allows you to focus on the--admittedly very simple--level design and your relationship with Quill, which works in the games favour.

So, yeah, don't go in expecting a long or at all difficult game. But it's a hell of an experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:16 
Excellent Member

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
1. SpiderHyphenMan
2. The Birdcage
4. Faraway 4
7. Red Matter
8. Oddmar
9. Thickety Creek
10. Moss

11. Scavengers Odyssey: I finally got round to playing some of the stuff on the PlayStation VR Worlds disc I bought ages ago, which is a collection of VR mini-games that mostly people feel should've been included with the PSVR headset. Scavengers Odyssey is a space shooter of sorts that sees you exploring a derelict spaceship using a spidery sort of mech rig. I had paid no attention to this game at all and didn't even know what it was going to be when I loaded it up so the massive amount of fun it ended up being came as quite a surprise.

The gameplay itself is pretty basic--you bounce around the place sometimes shooting aliens--but the incredible agility of the mech rig just make it a joy to play. The guns aim wherever you look which means you can be moving one way while shooting somewhere else, but the real star of the show is the jumping ability. It works a bit like the standard VR teleporting thing where you hold down a button to get an arced reticle and when you choose a target location you move to there, but there's no teleport and your rig actually does a massive leap across the play area. Given that this often involves leaping around on debris floating in space, and you can chain jumps together if you're quick enough, this gives a sense of mobility that just made me grin like an idiot when using it.

As a game it's fairly basic stuff and there's not a massive amount of content here, but it's just great fun to bang through so if you've got this disc and haven't tried it out yet I'd highly recommend it.

Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next