Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose UK TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 23:04 
Bad Girl

I get it but I’m not happy with it. If you don’t know Big Narstie has a TV programme on channel 4 which he hosts with Mo Gilligan. Big Narstie on Quiz of Everything and Mo Gilligan was on Quiz of 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 23:10 
Bad Girl

Grim... wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
Didn’t you see him on Britain’s Got More Talent when that gay comedian went to dance with him for the lulz?

Yup.

Didn't you see that the gay comedian's opinion of the event?

I saw his Tweet. Tweet? I’m think it was or maybe it was a paper reporting the Tweet.

As far as I know he’s never spoke about it again. And why would he when he’s starting his career? He wouldn’t wanted it mired in controversy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 21:22 

BBC 4:America's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley

Enjoyable look at the mythology of US history. The first one is about the Revolution. No doubt I'll be picking holes in next week's episode on the American Civil War.

Also, Worsley looks strangely alluring in an NFL helmet. Ahem.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 21:37 
Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
BBC 4:America's Biggest Fibs with Lucy Worsley

Enjoyable look at the mythology of US history. The first one is about the Revolution. No doubt I'll be picking holes in next week's episode on the American Civil War.

Also, Worsley looks strangely alluring in an NFL helmet. Ahem.

I have a lot of time for her

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 22:08 

Kern wrote:
Just watched the first episode of BBC Northern Ireland's 'Soft Border Patrol', a fly-on-the-wall documentary about the brave men and women protecting the border between the UK and the EU in our happy Brexit future.

It's a very charming show in the tradition of highlighting the absurdities of petty officials' working lives. The cast are very likeable, and portrayed as believing they are making a difference. In the one I saw, there were several very good scenarioes, of which my favourite being the lady worried about Ebola entering Ulster. Definitely going to keep watching.

This amiable show has returned for a second series . As with the first series, some bits work better than others but it's all so charming I feel I can overlook the weaker material in favour of the belly laughs such as the woman protesting the 'Ks' or the massive and inexplicable spike for July on a pedometer's readout.

And if it's what our future will contain, we ought to be very afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 
Excellent Member

Mrs B and I smashed through The Umbrella Academy over the weekend; a Netflix production based on the Eisner Award winning comic series of the same name. The basic pitch is:

Quote:
On October 1, 1989, 43 women around the world give birth simultaneously, despite none of them showing any sign of pregnancy until labour began. These children are gifted with superpowers and abilities and seven of these children, Klaus, Luther, Diego, Allison, Ben, Vanya, and an unnamed Number Five, are adopted by eccentric billionaire Sir Reginald Hargreeves. Hargreeves creates "The Umbrella Academy", a superhero team using numbers to protect their identities. While six of his children work to save the world, Reginald keeps Vanya apart from her siblings' activities, as she has no powers of her own.

In the present day, Luther is an astronaut, Allison is a famous actress, Vanya is playing violin on stage, Klaus is a party animal with a drug addiction, Ben is a ghost only able to converse with Klaus while Diego has become a vigilante with a penchant for trouble. The estranged siblings learn that Reginald has died and gather for his funeral. Number Five returns from the future, revealing that a global apocalypse is imminent. Meanwhile, the reunited siblings try to uncover the secret of their dysfunctional family while beginning to come apart due to their divergent personalities and abilities.

So, it's pretty fucking weird basically. It's a story of mysteries essentially and the first few episodes are spent setting up a load of questions; some of which are known to the characters and just aren't explained to the audience initially, and others which are more central to the plot and the family are actively investigating as we go. This structure gives it all an instant hook and you're very quickly invested in finding out just what in the fuck is going on. Obviously there's a risk there because if the answers aren't forthcoming or satisfying then you're going to feel cheated, but the show nimbly avoids that trap to my mind simply by being well written and internally consistent. The latter is it's real strength because, although the setup is pretty weird, it plays out in such a natural way that you quickly becoming very accepting of it all and nothing is jarringly stupid or odd about it. It also doesn't make that classic fuck up of modern shows by sagging massively in the middle, there's maybe like one episode that isn't 100% essential and the rest of it's pretty trim with very little in the way of exposition dumps or badly introduced plot jumps. It's perhaps not quite as stylish and funny as the trailer would have you believe (there's no real moments to compare to the Tiffany number in the opening episode) but the actual show it becomes is more compelling for it's subtlety to my mind. Certainly I've enjoyed this more than a lot of things I've watched in the last year and it's the first thing in a long time that's been so compelling from episode to episode that it absolutely demanded a shotgunning. Very good stuff indeed that I reckon would be enjoyed by most people on here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm up to episode 8 I think, I'm enjoying it and really like the style. It's a mildly fresh take on the superhero trope, and definitely worth watching.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 0:28 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Is anyone else watching The Great British Sewing Bee on BBC 2?

It's great. It has a real charm about it.

I'm a big fan.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:13 
Excellent Painter

TheVision wrote:

I'm a big fan.

That sounds quite complicated to make

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:56 

TheVision wrote:

I'm a big fan.

I love the Sewing Bee. One of my friends won the last series. Mind you, I’m really missing Claudia Winkleman presenting this year. Joe Lycet isn’t bad, but Claudia was pure mischievous beauty, but also really seemingly interested in all the people andcehat they were making, and she was so caring if there were ever tears.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

Of course I am. I'm constantly amazed how they can just sit down at a machine and it "just works" every time. That isn't my experience...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Ah the magic of TV. They fit a couple of days worth of filming into one hour.

That's quite a skill.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:54 

TheVision wrote:
Ah the magic of TV. They fit a couple of days worth of filming into one hour.

That's quite a skill.

From what I understand it’s put tigerfeecfrom the few scraps of time that aren’t just people swearing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 22:40 

Fleabag 2x01: holy shit, Phoebe Waller-Bridge might be the best writer working in TV today. Utterly amazing work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 23:55 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Fleabag 2x01: holy shit, Phoebe Waller-Bridge might be the best writer working in TV today. Utterly amazing work.

I'm almost scared to watch it because the first series was so brilliant--and seemed like such a stand alone work--that I'm worried a new season won't stand up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 0:06 

The first episode alone should set your mind at rest.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 0:21 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The first episode alone should set your mind at rest.

+1. It’s also reminded me to go back and watch s1 as it’s all back on iPlayer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 0:29 
Excellent Member

Relatedly: watch Crashing if you haven't already. It's more 'actual comedy' than whatever the hell you'd describe Fleabag as, but still brilliant and as an actress she continues to be brilliantly compelling.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 0:29 

Wait you watched 2x01 and you hadn't watched series 1?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 0:34 
Excellent Member

Also, for PWB completionists, you could do worse than watch this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Not ... _Your_Life

She only appeared in one episode I think--though I vividly remember that episode for embarrassingly lecherous reasons-- but it was very funny in general and quite a few of the faces will be familiar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:21 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Rewatch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 
Noob as of 6/8/10

I'm intrigued by Baptiste on the Beeb. The plot twists (Tom Hollander's character is a goody.... No, wait, he's a baddy...... No, he's a goody after all, but not the goody you thought he was, but a goody who's committed a crime), and the location of a particular stolen item are a bit like a comedy thriller, e.g. the missing diamond in Snatch. And yet it's definitely NOT a comedy, but I found my self thinking it was getting a bit absurd as more and more twists are introduced.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 

ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Rewatch.

Phew.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 23:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

Sewing bee has inspired me, I've done fuck all sewing recently, but I've just ordered some neoprene scuba material and some quilted stretch fabric. I'm going to try and make a tailored jacket out of it, which may look awesome, or may look utter shit :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 23:47 
Bad Girl

I’ve tried to watch “Leaving Neverland”, honestly I tried, but, man, it’s really hard going hearing the graphic sex descriptions. Talking about spreading little boy butt cheeks begins a mere 30 minutes in and it doesn’t stop. I’m not sure I can watch much more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 19:35 
Bad Girl

Bloody hell, I’ve started to watch the second part of this.

Turns out that one of the guys (victims) being interviewed is only the bloody choreographer of N-Sync & Britney Spears and credited with some of their respective successes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 20:13 
Bad Girl

I’m starting to think there’s something fishy about this (“Michael Jackson” - Ed) character.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 21:51 
Bad Girl

Finished. Very difficult to watch, not because it’s Michael Jackson, but because it must have been immensely difficult for these victims to come forward and tell their stories. Worse than Saville? Must be. A quick smash through Twitter reveals a whole bunch of freaking nutcases defending MJ. It’s a shame that the director wasn’t able to get hold of Gavin Arvizo, the cancer patient that led to the trial of MJ where he was cleared on all charges. Given the backlash that the two victims suffered after coming out about Jackson I dare say we won’t see an outpouring of victims coming forward like the Saville case. The rabid fans will see to that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:45 
Unpossible!

Could the BBC have chosen a creepier image to illustrate their MJ story?

Attachment:
Wacko.jpg

"Ice cream, jelly tarts! Come to me, my children"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 20:06 
chewbacca -future arc welder

No way I could watch that. I'm a witness (/victim) in a child sex abuse case that happened 20 years ago, it's supposed to get under way this week but it's already been suspended since October last year so I'm not feeling the faith. To be honest the whole justice system thing closely resembles a massive cluster fuck where no one knows what's going on, not very confidence inspiring.
There's loads of stuff on TV about paedos and it's incredibly uncomfortable even seeing the trailers, especially on Netflix auto fucking play - fuck you Netflix. I'm pretty anxious about the trial, never been involved in one before and I've got this unshakeable feeling that the cops are going to fuck it up somehow. I just don't trust them to get it right, probably due to the aforementioned lack of arse-from-elbow knowledge.
I think my point was I always find it pretty shocking the casual way in which people talk about child sex offenders but that's really more to do with my own trauma and it's actually a good thing that it's more out in the open and being discussed.

That got rambly _fast_

TL: DR
:(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 20:49 

:( Love to you Wookie, and strength to you for the trial. Will be thinking of you and hoping dearly that justice and the law both try their absolute best to do the right thing and find what they need to make it happen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 20:51 
UltraMod

Love you Wooks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 23:25 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Thanks, that's very kind.

This was a bit heavy for the UK TV thread, sozzles.

I've been to the pub and am feeling more positive noo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:55 
Unpossible!

Mate.

:luv:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:57 
Hibernating Druid

Hope it all goes well for you Wookie

Totally understand your post above, similar stories are everywhere these days, impossible to avoid.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 16:43 

Line Of Duty is back and I am HYPED for what's gonna go down this season.

I must say though:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I called it early doors that McQueen, the lass in the criminal gang, wasn't the undercover officer. That was too obvious a play for so early in the show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 17:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

Least shocking twist ever...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:46 
Noob as of 6/8/10

My money's on Ted being revealed as the mastermind behind the whole thing. And every other thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:30 
Hello Hello Hello

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Bit late to the Fleabag party, I started on Season 1 last night having seen quite a few positive reviews for Season 2.

Did three episodes back-to-back, holy crap it's good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I binged S1 and the first 3 of S2, incredible TV. There will be no S3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:09 
Noob as of 6/8/10

From the trailer for Ghosts it looks like a variation on The Ghosts of Motley Hall. I'm hoping it'll be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:31 
Hello Hello Hello

Finished Fleabag last night, what a perfect ending. Happy but bittersweet, satisfying without being twee.

So many great lines too.

'You know what a bassoon is? It's a cry for help!'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 13:32 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
Finished Fleabag last night, what a perfect ending. Happy but bittersweet, satisfying without being twee.

So many great lines too.

'You know what a bassoon is? It's a cry for help!'

I don't think anything will ever beat her sister screaming "GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY MISCARRIAGE!" from the first episode. Mostly because it's a set of words I could've ever have imagined anyone stringing together in the same sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:02 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Is this the only on-line UK TV forum where no one is discussing Line Of Duty?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:02 
Noob as of 6/8/10

Not any more.

Or didn't that question count as 'discussion?'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:05 
ugvm'er at heart...

It's turned shite.

Discussion over.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:06 

Never watched it. Should I?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

You should watch the first 4 seasons at least, it used to be very good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

If you liked Bodyguard, then it's that but with dodgy coppers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 13:19 

Trooper wrote:
It's turned shite.

Discussion over.

Trooper's turned shite, more like.

Reply to topic  [ 2346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 47  Next