Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Apex legends
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 
Prince of Fops

Hearthly wrote:
I think it would benefit from a bot mode on a small map where you can practice with the mechanics, learn the guns, get a good feel for the UI and so on, the tutorial doesn't give you nearly enough 'test pilot' experience IMO.

That would be ace. I poured hours into gibbing bots in Unreal Tournament.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 13:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Curiosity wrote:
I like the burst assault rifle, though the name escapes me now.

Hemlock.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:07 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
I like the burst assault rifle, though the name escapes me now.

Hemlock.

That’s the badger. Shotguns for close up work, Hemlock or G3 for middle distance, just run away from anyone further away than that

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:11 
Hello Hello Hello

I've seen some people be fairly effective at range with the proper sniper rifles, but yeah, outside of that, get closer.

After I died the other night I watched my two remaining squad members engage in a medium range assault rifle standoff with another squad, and thought to myself, 'This will probably take a while.....'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:11 
Rude Belittler

Pro-tip: if you jump and then melee you do a jump kick which is surprisingly effective.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I am effective at range by hiding and letting other people fight amongst themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pundabaya wrote:
Pro-tip: if you jump and then melee you do a jump kick which is surprisingly effective.

It does the same damage as normal, though (30).

More important pro-tip: you can kick doors open by melee attacking them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:29 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

More important pro-tip: you can kick doors open by melee attacking them.

Ah, I thought the chap who killed me last night did that, but figured I had imagined it (not unlikely, tbf).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:50 
Bad Girl

I was knobbing around on it last night. Unlike, say, PUBG, I find the long range game extremely difficult cause I barely find a sniper rifle and the good optics to make it worthwhile. So my usual focus is on the short and medium distance engagements: that drum mag shotgun beast and any assault rifle. With that sort of set up unless the enemy is within ear shot it’s barely worth engaging any squads at distance because even if you do manage to knock someone their team will get them up before you get chance to finish. Which really is the problem with the long engagements too since unless someone is on their lonesome or in the wide open, it’s near impossible to finish them off.

I can’t get enough of sliding down hills though.

Or being the grapple robot cause grapple robot has the grapple for himself and then GRAPPLE FOR EVERYONE!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:52 
Rude Belittler

Grim... wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

It does. However, it's surprisingly effective because it's much harder to shoot someone trying to jumpkick you in the face than someone throwing punches at you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 14:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
their team will get them up before you get chance to finish

Title

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 15:31 
Rude Belittler

Because it's random, you get streaks of items. Last couple of days I've found tons of sniper rifles. (G5s, Longbows and even some Triple Takes) and loads of sniper optics and stocks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 15:49 
Sleepyhead

I have tried to work out the sniper rifles, but am having massive trouble hitting anything as the ‘drop’ seems to be random at times rather than something more constant.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 15:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's a range-finder on the gun and it tells you the range of the thing you're looking at somewhere on the scope.

Doesn't help my left-right aiming, though ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 17:26 
Sleepyhead

Grim... wrote:
There's a range-finder on the gun and it tells you the range of the thing you're looking at somewhere on the scope.

Doesn't help my left-right aiming, though ;)

Sounds complicated to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 17:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Turns out Curio is a shit hot sniper until physics.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:47 
Rude Belittler

Pundabaya wrote:
Because it's random, you get streaks of items. Last couple of days I've found tons of sniper rifles. (G5s, Longbows and even some Triple Takes) and loads of sniper optics and stocks.

Tonight? LMGs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Fair bit more play on this for me last night, and I do feel like I'm getting somewhere with it.

HEARTHLY'S TIP - If like me, you rushed through the tutorial a bit, you may not have realised that the section where you do the target practice has one of EVERY SINGLE GUN IN THE GAME to have a play around with, along with loads of ammo. This is a good opportunity to have a muck about with them all in a nice calm environment, and get a feel for how they all handle. I ran the tutorial again and spent a good 15 minutes or so just dicking about with the guns.

High point of the evening was me wiping out an entire squad with some nice accurate short-mid range SMG/AR shenanigans. However, the rush of blood to my old man's brain caused a brief period of over-stimulation and despite having heard and processed the sound cue to let me know I'd killed an entire squad, I went all Hudson for a moment and continued to shoot the fuck out of one of my own squad mates who was busily reviving our other squad mate, until I realised all the baddies were dead and stopped shooting. Good thing there's no friendly fire.

I've also found people are using the text chat quite a lot as well, which can be a good way to communicate things outside the scope of the ping system during the quieter moments (which, being a battle royale game, there are quite a few of).

Overall I'm really loving this, and am very much looking forward to seeing what they add next. It's great to see Respawn finally get the massive hit they deserve, and I'll cheerfully spend money going forward on the things they add to the game if the quality is maintained.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 23:31 
Bad Girl

I’ve had enough of this fucking game. How come there’s no option to have the minimap rotate!? Fucking cretins.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 23:39 

Some reasons why Battle Royale games might favour static minimaps: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RadekKo ... tation.php

Makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 23:46 
Bad Girl

Let me read...

Quote:
Of course some players are only used to one approach or the other, in which case why not simply include both options?

Oh right. No fucking excuse then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 23:47 
UltraMod

PUBG’s minimap is static as far as I remember. I didn’t have an issue with that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 0:01 
Bad Girl

Turns out that in the only other two BRs I’ve played (PUBG & BLOPS)... the minimap is also static.

I apologise to all concerned for my unwarranted outburst.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 0:03 
Prince of Fops

Satsuma wrote:
Turns out that in the only other two BRs I’ve played (PUBG & BLOPS)... the minimap is also static.

I apologise to all concerned for my unwarranted outburst.

Look at dem sorry tatties.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 0:06 

Satsuma wrote:

Because
Quote:
Static minimaps, on the other hand, are much more suitable for games with large areas that need to be traversed multiple times.... In these titles, it's important to familiarize oneself with the layout of the land in order to travel through it efficiently. Goals are often described with compass directions in mind, and landmarks are used to aid in the building of a mental map for the overall area.

Cretin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 0:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GAYWOOD IS DEFENDING STATIC MAPS EVERYBODY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 0:22 
Bad Girl

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Because
Quote:
Static minimaps, on the other hand, are much more suitable for games with large areas that need to be traversed multiple times.... In these titles, it's important to familiarize oneself with the layout of the land in order to travel through it efficiently. Goals are often described with compass directions in mind, and landmarks are used to aid in the building of a mental map for the overall area.

Cretin.

Fuck outta here, just because someone wrote a fluff piece doesn’t mean it’s gospel. I don’t find a static minimap useful nor do others so include an option to rotate.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:32 
Gogmagog

I don't need a map to rotate as the only direction of travel in Advanced MaliWarfare is FORWARDS as that is where the baddies are

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:02 
Hello Hello Hello

I am trying to get Mrs Hearthly and Jnr to play this with me.

Mrs Hearthly has registered an Origin account, installed the game, and gone through the training, but she's a bit wary of going into a game with me as there'll be a random in the squad with us - so we are seeing if we can get Jnr to play with us, as then we'll have the full squad of three and no one can be dicks.

I've registered an Origin account for Jnr with TOTALLY NOT FALSE DETAILS BECAUSE SHE ISN'T 16, and after she went upstairs last night, installed Origin and the game on her PC to see how it runs, not expecting great things.

Her PC is a bit of a curious spec, it's got an i5-4690 and 16GB RAM (both of which are fine), but only a 2GB 750Ti as the graphics card, which is a pretty weak part. (I bought the PC second hand off a mate, I have no idea why he didn't just put 8GB of RAM in it and divert the extra cash to a better graphics card.) Anyway, to my surprise it does actually run it at 60FPS, but seriously gimps the settings to get there.

In true Respawn/Apex Legends style, it 100% configured itself perfectly around the system.

Resolution it dropped to 1440x900 from a native of 1920x200, and everything else was a mix of low and medium. TBH it looked pretty ropey but it ran at 60FPS and was perfectly playable. (I mucked about with a few settings, and making any changes lost the 60FPS lock, so the auto-config is spookily good.)

However, it's not really good enough and irrespective of whether or not Jnr gets into the game, she could do with a new graphics card anyway, so I've ordered a mini GTX1060 6GB card (her case is mini-ITX) to replace the crappy 750Ti.

Takeaway is though, even if you've got a pretty underwhelming PC, this game can still run surprisingly well on it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:44 
Hello Hello Hello

Some decent videos here, probably a lot of stuff you know already, but I took something new from each video.

I had a riot playing this last night, and not because I was whomping everyone with my godlike skills, (I'm still pretty shit at it, in honesty), but because it's such a beautifully crafted game and the addition of the squad mechanic to Battle Royale is such a genius touch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:03 
Hello Hello Hello

So I was starting to get the first feelings of, 'Hmm, that's not right' when getting killed over the last couple of days. I'm still no master at the game but I'm sure there are a few of us who've been around on the PC for long enough to know when something's off in a multiplayer FPS game (I say PC there, because it's basically a PC problem).

And yeah, the hackers are out in force. Makes sense really, Apex Legends is based on the Source engine and that's been hacked to shreds forever.

It's almost enough to make me want to try and get good with a pad, so I can play on the consoles where this shit isn't possible.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... s-cheaters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:23 
UltraMod

The UberSquad tried this last night. It was ok. We got a 2nd and a 3rd but a grand total of zero kills between us.

It’s a weird mashup of PUBG, Overwatch and Destiny. We’ll probably play it again and it’s fine for zero pounds.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 14:18 
Bad Girl

I’ve got 4 wins on this now.

I’ve finally found my combat analogy that’s made it much easier to play: it’s more like Halo than other BRs. Guns have tiny wee clip sizes which makes it much harder to just drill someone to the ground in a single burst so accuracy is preferred in most encounters.

The best gun is, of course, the Wingman. It’s a beast and oh so satisfying to use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 14:23 
INFINITE POWAH

I have been enjoying this. I got dead to fuck the first 10 times or so, but then it finally clicked and I got 4 kills in the space of like a minute in the one match, after I finally got teamed with some people who knew what they were doing... Next match I ended up with a player who basically carried my arse into the final 3 squads.

It's definitely dependent on the moron level of the people you get squadded up with. I ended up reviving and respawning two squad members twice each and then we all died because they were FUCKING USELESS.

I would be a lot happier if there was a solo option like in Fortnite. I'd also feel like my having wasted 5-10 minutes on a useless match was less in someone else's hands.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 14:26 
Sleepyhead

Satsuma wrote:
I’ve got 4 wins on this now.

I’ve finally found my combat analogy that’s made it much easier to play: it’s more like Halo than other BRs. Guns have tiny wee clip sizes which makes it much harder to just drill someone to the ground in a single burst so accuracy is preferred in most encounters.

The best gun is, of course, the Wingman. It’s a beast and oh so satisfying to use.

The Wingman is great, as is the R-something assault rifle.

Extended mags are a hugely important upgrade as you never have enough in a clip.

In one game I had two Wingman guns, both with extended mags, for peak pistol joy. Shame I couldn’t dual-wield!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 15:20 
Hello Hello Hello

It's quicker to switch weapons than reload, remember!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 15:45 
Sleepyhead

Hearthly wrote:
It's quicker to switch weapons than reload, remember!

I got a kill once by unloading my first gun into the opponent, switching and then unloading the other (obv half the bullets were terribly aimed and misssd), but then instead of reloading I just ran up and punched them in the face.

:D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 15:54 
Hello Hello Hello

I got punched to death in a game yesterday.

Not happy.

--------------------

Some informative and entertaining videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/evdog805/videos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 16:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Oh god it's all going so badly. Getting killed and covered in heavy breathers as squad mates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 22:30 
Bad Girl

Jesus, I just had the best game! I was on fire. Absolutely smashed it and ran away when it was time to run away and hid in a box until it was time to shoot. My squad perished because they’re fucking morons but hey, I won it for them. But they probably won’t get the credit cause they quit out before the end. Sucks to be them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 23:24 
Bad Girl

22-odd sodding minutes.

My squad mates were idiots though and kept running off. Tch. I think they’re demise really showed off a deficiency in the ping system though. One of mine goes down and I ping to say “there’s enemies over there” - I’ve seen a full squad so I start to rotate and hope he follows me but, no, he starts to run over to, presumably, get the ID from our dead companion but he’s running into a squad that’s looting his body and I’m not going to help him. How do I say “follow me, or don’t go over there you twat!?” I suppose I could have pinged the location button but he wasn’t following me anyway. Ah well, he gets fucked over and I have a little battle with 3 guys at range who can’t shoot for shit so I just run off. I do love how running away is absolutely a viable tactic.

Then I win it by hiding in a box. Anyway, enjoy 22 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:04 
Rude Belittler

New gun! Havoc energy rifle. It's a bit like a mini Devotion.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:58 
Hello Hello Hello

Pundabaya wrote:
New gun! Havoc energy rifle. It's a bit like a mini Devotion.

Yes I got one of those last night, it's pretty tidy but energy guns always seem like a bit of a risk as ammo can be scarce.

Mrs Hearthly joined me for a few rounds, and was very pleased with herself when she finally managed to do some damage to an enemy player before getting killed.

My brother's coming on tonight as well so we'll be able to field a full squad of 3.

The game definitely needs some sort of training arena with bots IMO, the jump from the tutorial to a full game is pretty brutal for someone fresh to the experience. There's quite a few different things to learn that aren't in the tutorial at all.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 15:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Just had a couple of hours on this with my brother and Mrs Hearthly. Me and Mrs H were in the same room so easy comms there, me and my brother were on a headset with his voice coming through my speakers.

It'd be a lie to say we did well, but we were definitely getting better by the end of it. Mrs H in particular is very new to the game so was learning the mechanics more than anything else, she did manage to get two kills though. (Including one where she punched a guy to death which was hilarious, he was desperately trying to escape after being knocked down, even throwing himself off the edge of the building we were on, but she chased him down relentlessly and got the kill via punching. I watched the whole thing whilst knocked down myself and was giving it 'PUNCH HIM! KILL HIM!')

Best we managed was the last 5 squads, but it was far more about having some fun together rather than being uber at the game.

Great game, very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 17:01 
Bad Girl

I might be the first person to find this out (or not) but if you’re on PS4 and hold down the touchpad you can type stuff and it says it out loud! Try it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 17:05 
Bad Girl

No, there’s stuff online about it from about 8 days ago. Tch.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:04 
Hello Hello Hello

I'm installing this on my XB1X, and I'll see if I can achieve some sort of vague competency playing with a gamepad.

Hackers are fucking up the PC version royally, there's one out there now which lags the entire server at the start of the round, I'm not quite sure what the benefit is unless the hackers are immune to the lag or something, but it happened to me and my brother in two out of five games last night. (A quick Google around confirmed it is a hack, and Eurogamer are carrying a story about it this morning.)

And this is on top of the aimbot/wallhack/target frame shit that's going on as well. Just ruins the game when there are hackers on the server.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:49 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

EA have said it's a bug not a hack. Though they have this week banned 355,000 players on PC for cheating. That's a holy shit ton.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:16 
Hello Hello Hello

Thing is with a free to play game you just need a different email address to register with Origin and you're back in the game, merrily hacking away.

Unless they start banning based on some sort of device ID, I'm not sure how much the bans will help.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 15:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Aaaaaaand I really, really can't play this game with a gamepad.

Back to the hackers on the PC version, I guess.

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next