Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 22:13 
Hibernating Druid

I know that’s not saying much.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 23:01 

Zardoz wrote:
Bumblebee - the best Transformers film by far.

Transformers: The Movie says "fuck you boy."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 23:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I still like the first Bay transformers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 23:39 
Hibernating Druid

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Does it? I couldn’t quite make out what was going on so I guess you could be right.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 23:54 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Zardoz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Does it? I couldn’t quite make out what was going on so I guess you could be right.

All you need to know is the following. Some robots have a scrap with some robots. After this, they have another scrap with some other robots. Then, after more scrapping with robots they all have a scrap with a massive robot. All the while listening to an awesome soundtrack.

Brilliant film. 10/10.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:29 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night's film was 1982's 'THE PLAGUE DOGS', a full length 'adult' animated adventure film. (I say 'adult' there as whilst the film is rated PG, it's absolutely not for children. Indeed this was one of the reasons the film struggled at release as animation was seen as being for children at the time.)

It tells the story of two dogs who escape from an animal research facility in The Lake District. Both have been experimented on repeatedly in cruel ways (the film opens with one of the dogs being left to swim to exhaustion in a water tank, only being rescued after his strength fades completely and he sinks to the bottom of the tank, and then resuscitated, as the scientists discuss how he is managing to swim for longer as the experiment is repeated), so after their escape they imagine that their lives will get much better.

One of the dogs, Snitter, had a human master before ending up at the facility, and is convinced that they will find kind humans to become their master. The other dog, Rowf, has only known life within the facility and sees all humans as cruel, he refers to them as 'whitecoats'.

Life outside the facility proves to be hard, and the dogs quickly become hungry. However, a fox called Tod befriends them and offers to show the dogs how to survive in return for a share of their kills.

Their killing of sheep quickly angers local farmers, and in time rumours start to circle that the dogs escaped from the facility and may be carrying the plague as it was being experimented on there, by now the press and television are also involved - and the dogs find themselves being hunted by both the farmers and latterly the army as well.

The film is animated beautifully, it was 100% hand drawn with no rotoscoping or computer assistance. The voice acting is superb, the cast including John Hurt, James Bolam, Warren Mitchell, Patrick Stewart and Christopher Benjamin amongst others.

There isn't a single human face in the entire film, all humans are shown from the chest down, and whilst they are not presented as being universally cruel, we're not left in much doubt as to the goodies are, and who the baddies are.

As the film moved towards its climax I became almost completely lost in the story and the characters, willing the dogs an escape and a happy ending - the final scene when it came was as emotionally wrenching as anything I've seen for a very long time.

905/1000

NOTE - Exists in two versions, a much shortened 86 minute cut and a recently restored and released 103 minute cut, make sure you get the 103 minute cut.

NOTE - Do not be fooled by the PG certificate, this is not a film for children to watch alone. Watch it with them and be prepared to talk to them about it afterwards.

Attachment:
plague.PNG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:26 

Zardoz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

whuuuut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:35 
Hibernating Druid

Oh, you know what I meant, not THAT one.

The Bay ones!

I didn't actually ready your reply thoroughly, obv :DD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:39 

Zardoz wrote:

The Bay ones!

I'm sorry, I can't head you over the deafening sound of how technically correct I am.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:57 
Bad Girl

Quote:
Last night's film was 1982's 'THE PLAGUE DOGS', a full length 'adult' animated adventure film. (I say 'adult' there as whilst the film is rated PG, it's absolutely not for children. Indeed this was one of the reasons the film struggled at release as animation was seen as being for children at the time.)

As a dog lover I just can’t bring myself to watch something like this. I was watching The Story of Buster Scruggs yesterday and I was just about to turn it off due to one dog related act of cruelty.

That reminds me “The Story of Buster Scruggs” is absolutely brilliant.

People should watch it. It’s on the Netflix.

It’s a collection of stories from the Wild West by the Coen Brothers. If you like their brand of dark comedy you’ll get a real kick out of this.

I utterly loved it and you will too, unless you’re a bit of a dick. Probably.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:01 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

The Bay ones!

I'm sorry, I can't head you over the deafening sound of how technically correct I am.

OBJECTION
I bet you haven't seen Bumblebee.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 
Bad Girl

I’ve seen all the Bay ones and Bumblebee and I can categorically assure all right minded individuals that none of these films hold a candle to Transformers: The Movie. And that’s not even with the nostalgia specs on: Transformers: The Movie is infinitely more watchable, tells a better story, has better characters, character arcs, the art is still sublime etc etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 
Bad Girl

Transformers: The Movie was Avengers: Infinity War before Avengers: Infinity War was Avengers: Infinity War.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:20 
Excellent Painter

Films I've seen recently. I think this is a first for me as I've seen most of the films in contention for gongs.

Green Book. This is really quite warming, affectionate and a nice watch. The two leads are brilliant. It's not in anyway challenging, it's a period drama dealing largely with two disparate characters finding friendship. As Simon Mayo described it as, "Driving Miss Daisy, except this time the racist is in the front." It doesn't feel like a film with a message though, which is quite refreshing out of all the contenders at the moment.

If Beale Street Could Talk. Again, the acting is superb, but the whole film feels way too slow and it feels like you're being beaten over the head with a metaphor. There are long ponderous shots that feel straight out of the Tarkovsky school of film editing, which in my mind isn't a good thing. There are whole sections of the film that are superfluous. All the messages it has to say are repeated ad nauseam.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:21 
Hello Hello Hello

Satsuma wrote:
Quote:

As a dog lover I just can’t bring myself to watch something like this.

Yeah I totally get that and it is a hard watch in some regards, but the beauty of the tale is the enduring loyalty and friendship between the two dogs, which gives the closing scene an absolutely wrenching emotional gut punch. They're voiced perfectly by Hurt and Benjamin, and are given a depth of compassion and character that the humans are clearly lacking.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The ending is ambiguous, it is not explicitly shown that the dogs die and there is a suggestion in the very final shot that they may have escaped to their destination.

If you think you can handle it, this is a wonderful film that I would very much recommend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 14:07 
Gogmagog

Richard Adams wrote the book, I don't recall much of it but it being a bit icky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:49 
Rude Belittler

Satsuma wrote:
Transformers: The Movie was Avengers: Infinity War before Avengers: Infinity War was Avengers: Infinity War.

There are loads and loads of characters and the movie doesn't really bother to tell you who any of them are?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:16 

Avengers: Infinity War works perfectly well, better than it should do, if you regard it as what it is: a splashy season finale and not a standalone movie. It's one for the fans and that's fine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:54 
Rude Belittler

I mean, you're right. But it's still a flaw..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 20:31 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Stop everything... There's a new trailer for Frozen 2! It looks edgy and dark... and who's that other person? I can't wait....

?:|

I mean, the kids will love this.

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/1095684841809489922

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 23:05 
Bad Girl

Pffffft, I’m more interested in the sequel to Kung Fu Hustle.

http://www.maactioncinema.com/archives/ ... 7yxsim2sa8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:12 
Gogmagog

Watched 90 minutes of Wonder Woman last night. It is why MrsA doesn't get to choose films.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 14:11 
Bad Girl

I bloody loved The Ballard of Buster Scruggs so I was looking for another Wicky Wicky Wild Wild West film and so I watched The Sisters Brothers.

It's another black comedy and stars currently derided John C Riley, Wacky Phoenix and the always fantastic Jake Gyllenhall.

It was great.

Personally I've gotta say that I enjoyed The Ballard of Buster Scruggs more as it was darker and more violent (and who doesn't like some great violence) but The Sisters Brothers was very watchable and had some really fabulous performances. I really just can't get on board with John C Riley - thanks in no small part to that horrible film The Step Brothers with Will sodding Ferrell - but he won me over by the end. Oh and I don't like his voice in Wreck It Ralph either.

Oh, talking of which, and I'm about 3/4s of the way through Wreck It Ralph Breaks the Internet and, erm, it's a much better sequel to the original. But that's not to say it's a good film, mind, although it is vaguely watchable. I was becoming increasingly annoyed at the shocking amount of product placement for businesses - bearing in mind that this is a children's film as well. Oh look here's YOUTUBE! Here's AMAZON! Here's fucking SNAPCHAT EVERYONE. Lord know what these companies paid to be included. Fuck these online behemoths - they're just referenced because kids love the fucking internet don't they!? But the shocking thing is that the film has nothing of interest to say. There's zero messages or lessons to be learned, it's just been an endless parade of logos and references to brands. It's just ... horrible verging on the disgusting.

Mind you, the scene with the Disney Princesses is just glorious. I couldn't help have this huge beaming smile across my face the entire time. Oh, it's so good. And really funny too.

Oh and the opening sequence has plenty of old arcades for us old farts to reminisce over. It's such a shame that they couldn't have done something with those names. In fact, that's my biggest issue with the original film since the focus of the film is on pretend arcades the audience isn't familiar with or has any real interest in and after the opening sequence in that film there's barely a mention of these old arcades at all despite the film being set in a bloody old arcade. Anyway, Ralph Breaks the Internet. Shallow as a puddle of piss.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 16:17 
INFINITE POWAH

So, both Skyscraper ("If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape") and Rampage were brilliant, but you know, Dwayne Johnson. So hardly surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 17:28 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Him and Statham won't be in Fast and Furious Nine, so RIP that franchise, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 17:40 
INFINITE POWAH

In Statham news, The Meg was the first time Ruth had seen him in a film. The mind boggles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I blame you for that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:26 
Unpossible!

MrChris wrote:
In Statham news, The Meg was the first time Ruth had seen him in a film. The mind boggles.

Maybe he was just standing really still

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:37 
Sleepyhead

MrChris wrote:

She never saw “Lock, Stock...”?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:41 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
MrChris wrote:

She never saw “Lock, Stock...”?

No, but she saw the bottom of the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 19:42 
Hibernating Druid

Lego Movie 2 is
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Awesome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 22:36 
Soopah red DS

Alita Battle Angel. I knew nothing about it, and I really enjoyed it. I am sure there are things that aren't quite right if you're a fan of the manga originals, and the film is obviously setting up for another, so waiting for both to be available and then watching the two might be better. But I enjoyed it - fighting that made sense, exciting bits, a few small "oh, I see" bits that wrong-footed me in the plot, and all hung together.

If you hate CGI, then miss it out, mind.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 0:54 
Gogmagog

After discussion: Fast and Furious 8 would be the weakest of the series, Enjoyable enough, but no 1,7,6,2,4,3 or 5 if it were not for Statham Babycare which is a joy even greater than Han being alive after he died but before a baby was born.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

What the fuck Statham with the baby on the plane you're possibly the worst person who's ever existed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:16 
Gogmagog

Stand by

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I enjoy the remake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:59 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

F&F2 is an abomination.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 14:21 
SavyGamer

5 is still the best, but Hobbes and Shaw could topple it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 14:47 
INFINITE POWAH

I have not seen any F&F films.

Am I missing out?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 14:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Yes. Do what I did - watch F&F1 then F&F7 and try and work out what on earth happened in between.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 15:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

LewieP wrote:

Is 5 the one with the safe or the never ending runway?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 16:09 

Grim... wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Is 5 the one with the safe or the never ending runway?

Safe. Runway is 6.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 17:09 
SavyGamer

Cras wrote:
Yes. Do what I did - watch F&F1 then F&F7 and try and work out what on earth happened in between.

I actually think watching them all in close succession back to back is the best way to watch them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 17:16 

LewieP wrote:
Cras wrote:

I actually think watching them all in close succession back to back is the best way to watch them.

That's not even remotely like what Craster said.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 17:17 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
LewieP wrote:
Cras wrote:

That's not even remotely like what Craster said.

I don't think he was agreeing, merely stating his preferred option.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 17:18 
SavyGamer

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 17:22 
Esoteric

Cardboard Gangster.

Quite possibly the first hard core Irish movie I've ever watched. So hard core was it that without subtitles I'd have been fucked, even though my first girlfriend as an adult was Irish.

Well worth a watch. It was as hard to understand as it was brutal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 17:45 

JohnCoffey wrote:
Cardboard Gangster.

Quite possibly the first hard core Irish movie I've ever watched. So hard core was it that without subtitles I'd have been fucked, even though my first girlfriend as an adult was Irish.

What nationality was she as a child?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 17:51 
Esoteric

Mimi wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Cardboard Gangster.

What nationality was she as a child?

Irish. She was from Gortfadda in Southern Ireland.

It didn't help that in the movie they use a lot of slang and they,for example, call what we would call E or an 'aunt lil' if you're from Brixton something completely and totally different, to the point you have absolutely no idea what they're talking about even with the subs on.

About the only slang they used that I'd heard of was 'brown'.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 23:49 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't often post here but I feel I should tonight to tell you all about a film we just watched called IO.

It was absolutely terrible. No redeeming features at all.

So there you go. Avoid it.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 422  Next