Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: PCVR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 

It’s not officially supported but yep. Search for BeatSaberModManager and install that, and it puts a “BeatSaver” option on the main menu in game which lets you download them.

Seems to be a reasonable selection so far and it’ll only get better I guess.

Gangnam Style is quite fun.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 
UltraMod

GazChap wrote:
It’s not officially supported but yep. Search for BeatSaberModManager and install that, and it puts a “BeatSaver” option on the main menu in game which lets you download them.

Seems to be a reasonable selection so far and it’ll only get better I guess.

Gangnam Style is quite fun.

Ah so you can't just import any song and it'll create a note highway for it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:06 

No. That would be rubbish. There’s a lot of art in creating note tracks. There’s one game that does this — Audiotron, I think? — and it’s not very good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:08 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
No. That would be rubbish. There’s a lot of art in creating note tracks. There’s one game that does this — Audiotron, I think? — and it’s not very good.

Audiosurf? Obviously I'd hoped the technology had got better since then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:13 

It’s a tough problem. I think you’d need machine learning to really make a dent. There’s probably a good PhD thesis in it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 
Unpossible!

Audioshield.

It does a decent job, but the automatic ones are noticeably easier and more repetitive

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Audioshield.

It does a decent job, but the automatic ones are noticeably easier and more repetitive

No, Audiosurf.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:39 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Vib Ribbon on the PS1 doors this. Not sure how good it wa though as the pre installed tracks seemed to be a random mishmash of buttons too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 
Paws for thought

Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Audioshield.

No, Audiosurf.

Also audioshield. Which is vr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:06 
UltraMod

Mr Dave wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Audioshield.

No, Audiosurf.

Also audioshield. Which is vr

Yeah I've heard of it. But Audiosurf is the old game that you could originally do it in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 18:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1364658-REG/lenovo_g0a20001ww_explorer_mixed_reality_headset.html/?ap=y&c3api=0272%2C269739156167&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5dT4lc2I3gIVQcLACh1UhwZ6EAEYASAGEgLNEvD_BwE

$99 headset only

Through work I can get one of these, with controllers, for £100. That's a no brainer, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 19:00 
Unpossible!

Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1364658-REG/lenovo_g0a20001ww_explorer_mixed_reality_headset.html/?ap=y&c3api=0272%2C269739156167&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5dT4lc2I3gIVQcLACh1UhwZ6EAEYASAGEgLNEvD_BwE

$99 headset only

Through work I can get one of these, with controllers, for £100. That's a no brainer, right?

I would.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 19:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Trooper wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

$99 headset only

I would.

I did. I figure I'll be happier with the current limitations of VR with a £100 price point versus my previous adventures at a £600 price point for the rift and the vive!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 22:34 
Unpossible!

Do you have Bluetooth on your computer?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 22:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

I do, not sure if it is 4.0 though, but I'll get a dongle if need be

edit : 4.1 apparently...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 15:53 
ugvm'er at heart...

Lenovo thingy. It works, it works well in the main. The image quality is every bit as good as the Rift or the Vive when it comes to optics, screendoor etc... i.e. is passably usable.

WMR direct stuff runs really well, using Steam VR is a juddery mess, but apparently that is just steam vr itself, once you get into a game it's fine. I'm downloading a game now to try. I only have a 960, so not expecting amazing performance, but I never had a problem with the same graphics card when using the Vive or the Rift before.

All in all VR is just as I remembered it from a couple of years ago, a fun toy to muck around with, but not much more than that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 16:10 
UltraMod

You’re not playing the right games!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 16:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

Yeah, going into a game is a lot better. A bit of a performance hit compared to the Vive in steam, as there is the extra overlay to go through, but it all works fine when you are in the game.

I'll pick up beat saber and superhot over xmas, as I have a week off. What else should I get then?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 16:41 
Unpossible!

Have you got the latest Windows version? 1809 I think? It makes a big difference to WMR and cuts out the need to use steam vr directly as you can add shortcuts to the cliff house.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 16:49 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Have you got the latest Windows version? 1809 I think? It makes a big difference to WMR and cuts out the need to use steam vr directly as you can add shortcuts to the cliff house.

No idea, I shall investigate.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 16:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

1803? Looks like that doesn't get activated for update until you plug in a WMR headset. It said I was all up to date until I hit refresh, and suddenly 1803 was available.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:19 
Unpossible!

Once you've installed 1803, you should go for 1809 as well. Lucky you!

No wonder it was running like poop :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... te-history

1809 currently has a block on it, so i'm not getting it automagically!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:30 
Sitting balls-back folder

Look at the date. Christmas may be two weeks closer than you think it is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

December 1st, upgrade block in place.

Won't let me update to it via built in windows update, or the downloadable update assistant, says i'm all up to date at 1803.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:38 
Unpossible!

I think I got it before the HORRENDOUS WORLD SHAKING BUGS were discovered. Sorry bud. 1803 is an improvement as well.

You should also enable the beta channel for both SteamVR and "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" as they're frequently updated.

Oh and disabling SteamVR 'Home' just gives you a nice empty void to interact with instead of the overly laggy house environment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:39 
Sitting balls-back folder

Stupid me, only reading the bit at the top.

Though it does read a bit like it will block upgrade for those specific things, if you're being blocked then not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:40 
ugvm'er at heart...

Looks like I can open the desktop and open a game from a desktop link in 1803 at least, so I can skip steamVR that way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 17:43 
ugvm'er at heart...

BikNorton wrote:
Stupid me, only reading the bit at the top.

Though it does read a bit like it will block upgrade for those specific things, if you're being blocked then not.

I've done some more reading on blogs from people who know shit. 1809 is no longer being pushed (only 2% of windows machines are currently running it), might be pushed again at the start of december.
Worst case if it isn't here by xmas I can download the iso, and re-install windows with it, which is a bit extreme but it's the only way to install it at the moment it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 21:07 
Soopah red DS

Disclaimer right at the start - I have no idea what hardware they used.

But, in the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, for a euro you can go for an 8 minute VR tour that reconstructs the palace from c.13th-c.17th, from the position you're standing in, in front of some ruined walls (which are indoors, so not freezing cold). It's really excellent - turn around wherever you like, watch buildings growing, being destroyed by fire and being rebuilt as time passes. I was glad of heeding the advice to hold the handles on the console, as, early on, it takes you up 30 feet in the air (and then further), and if you look down, seeing nothing at all under where your feet should be is quite disconcerting. Great use of it.

Is it enough to make the whole thing useful? I know nothing. But as a niche, great.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 21:13 

Trooper wrote:
All in all VR is just as I remembered it from a couple of years ago, a fun toy to muck around with, but not much more than that.

Trooper wrote:
I'll pick up beat saber and superhot over xmas, as I have a week off. What else should I get then?

“I haven’t tried the killer app games everyone is talking about. Despite that, I feel comfortable saying it’s merely a fun toy.”

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 21:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Trooper wrote:

“I haven’t tried the killer app games everyone is talking about. Despite that, I feel comfortable saying it’s merely a fun toy.”

:D yeah, I know nothing about VR, it's not like I've had a dk1, dk2 and vive, and spent hours in Asseto Corsa and elite...

The tech has stagnated in the past 2 years, it's still not good enough.

Beatsaber isn't going to be this huge revelation, there are no surprises, I've played loads of rhythm games, I've played loads of VR games, I've played VR lightsaber games. I will be incredibly surprised if it is anything else other than what I expect.
It'll be fun, for a toy...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 22:08 
UltraMod

Bless

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 22:23 

Trooper wrote:
:D yeah, I know nothing about VR, it's not like I've had a dk1, dk2 and vive, and spent hours in Asseto Corsa and elite...
I will be incredibly surprised if it is anything else other than what I expect. It'll be fun, for a toy...

‘So far my personal expenditure on VR is well into four figures, which is a reasonable amount to spend on a mere “toy.”’

Also: what makes a VR game a toy that means a 2d game isn’t a toy?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 22:51 
ugvm'er at heart...

I realise you find it difficult to be non-literal doc. Don't get too caught up on the specific definition of the word toy.

I'm not sure what cost has to do with anything though? Why does something have to be cheap to be considered a toy?

Would it help if I said instead that in my (considerable) experience VR is still in its infancy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:08 
Can you dig it?

JBR wrote:
Disclaimer right at the start - I have no idea what hardware they used.

But, in the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, for a euro you can go for an 8 minute VR tour that reconstructs the palace from c.13th-c.17th, from the position you're standing in, in front of some ruined walls (which are indoors, so not freezing cold). It's really excellent - turn around wherever you like, watch buildings growing, being destroyed by fire and being rebuilt as time passes. I was glad of heeding the advice to hold the handles on the console, as, early on, it takes you up 30 feet in the air (and then further), and if you look down, seeing nothing at all under where your feet should be is quite disconcerting. Great use of it.

Is it enough to make the whole thing useful? I know nothing. But as a niche, great.

That sounds excellent

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

I got the windows update finally! It all installed fine, no problems as far as I can tell.

I know, i'll try our "The Lab" again in VR and see what difference it has made. Well, it has certainly made a difference. The Lab no longer loads, it gets stuck in the big white room after the initial loading screen. I know, i'll try out the steam home room... I managed to get that to load once, but i'm not sure how and now it never loads.

Woo! I'm having so much fun! :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

I know, I'll try and buy Beat Saber and see if that works.

"Can't connect to Steam servers. Please try again later"

FFS :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:36 
Unpossible!

Hearthly's fault

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

Beat Saber actually works, you just click on it and it loads and everything. Which should be the minimum requirement really, but it was a bit of a shock.

It's pretty good innit. I imagine it will be a lot more fun with recognisable songs though, so that's the next thing on the list.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 22:56 
Unpossible!

Yeah it's ace. Tiring after a while

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 23:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

Gangnam style uploaded, that is a lot of fun :D

I'm enjoying my toy ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 21:58 
ugvm'er at heart...

Blade and sorcery is a laugh, but I'm way too unfit to play it, if you think beat saber is hard work, this will give you a shock.

Also, my play area isn't really big enough to be honest, I've smacked my controller into both the sofa and the wall so far, while trying to stab a lady in the face with my 12" dagger.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 14:31 
ugvm'er at heart...

I'm going to throw up.

Not because of VR sickness (which i still get every so often, but only when i have to use the thumbstick to move around, but because of this game:

2 sets of training and two fights and I had to go and sit down for a bit :D

I'm too old for this shit, back to Beat Saber, which is way less energetic. I'm current 182,824 in the world on hard Gangnam Style, so pretty impressive don't you think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 18:55 
ugvm'er at heart...

Project Cars 2 officially has support for WMR headsets now, so that'll be easy enough to install and play, right?

An hour later and I had managed to get it to work a grand total of two times, the first time I finally managed to get it to start without crashing or locking up it didn't recognise my steering wheel...

It's just all such a faf still, so much so that I really can't be arsed with the effort required to get it working. This is the reason why I got rid of the Rift and Vive last time, I just want to put the headset on without wondering if it will actually work this time, and without having to research the specific tasks that need to be done for that particular game I want to play, to give it a chance of working.

My advice if you want to actually use VR and enjoy it? Buy a PSVR and forget the PC variants exist for another few years, if ever. Sure, the fidelity isn't as good, but at least it actually works with relatively little hassle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 19:14 
UltraMod

I have had very little issue with my Rift in the three years I've owned it, and I've put over 1,000 hours into it.

The worst thing that happened is that iRacing was very poorly optimised when they started supporting it and I had to run on very low settings, but they patched that eventually. Everything else from Elite Dangerous to Superhot to Thumper has just worked pretty much out of the box. :shrug:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 19:46 
Paws for thought

Similarly, the vive has been a pain free experience.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 19:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

There are a few titles that just work, beatsaber, elite etc... However there are just as many that just don't.

I'm just pissed off that a game that officially now supports WMR is still shonky piece of shit :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 20:06 
Unpossible!

WMR is definitely the redheaded stepchild of the PC headsets. A lot of games that should work, just don't. Climbey, for example.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 16:32 
Unpossible!

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/1827 ... s-gdc-2019

The new Oculus Rift S uses 5-camera Inside-Out tracking, is made by Lenovo and has a halo strap. Did not see that coming.

Reply to topic  [ 1105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next