Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Brexit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 17:55 
Unpossible!

Lonewolves wrote:
Or we give back the six counties we stole.

Unfortunately we stole them by settling protestants there quite some time back. Their descendants are surprisingly loyal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 19:24 
ugvm'er at heart...

DavPaz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Or we give back the six counties we stole.

Unfortunately we stole them by settling protestants there quite some time back. Their descendants are surprisingly loyal

Yeah, don't think giving them back will be any less violent than putting up a wall.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 23:40 

NervousPete wrote:
You know its my birthday on the 28th of March.

That's going to be fun. Thanks for the present, you fucks.

Mine's a couple of weeks later. At least you can still celebrate, whereas I'll be scavenging for rats among the scorched undergrowth in the smouldering ruins of London...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 23:48 

I know in many areas it's too late, and the damage has been done, but please indulge me for a sec, and just imagine the size of the collective sigh of relief around the country if this whole sorry shitshow was just cancelled tomorrow. Yes, there'd be stuff to sort out (not least the angry leave-voters-who-haven't-changed-their-minds-for-some-fucking-reason), but just imagine...

Aaaah! :)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Tough shit, we're fucked.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 23:49 
Can you dig it?

It's OK, the rich folk will look after everyone. It's not like they are planning to flee the country or hide their wealth somewhere else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 
Hello Hello Hello

Interesting thread here, although Twitter really is the absolute worst for this sort of thing. Why can't they just allow normal paragraphs and stuff?

https://twitter.com/pauldalyesq/status/ ... 3265224708

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:14 

This article on Politics.co.uk about the 'settled status' process reads like the introductory text to a future report on a Windrush-style disaster.

Quote:
If the automatic check of your HMRC and DWP records can't find data points for all the required periods, the system will offer you pre-settled status, rather than settled status. If you want, you can then appeal against that decision and send in more evidence.
This is a dangerous moment. Many applicants will think they're pretty much the same and just accept the result, even if it's wrong.
Settled status gives you indefinite leave to remain. You have a firm legal status which lasts forever and no-one can challenge. Pre-settled status gives you five years limited right to remain. It means you can't leave the country for more than six months at a time. Crucially, it does not automatically upgrade to settled status when you've been here five years. It just cancels out. It's likely that sometime during 2021 and 2026 many people will forget to apply, or fail to understand the system, and suddenly find themselves without legal status.

The whole thing is utterly disgusting. These are people: our friends, colleagues, doctors, nurses, lovers, exes, etc.

Overheard a couple of people in my game group discussing it last week. I genuinely felt ashamed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:17 

Hearthly wrote:
Interesting thread here, although Twitter really is the absolute worst for this sort of thing. Why can't they just allow normal paragraphs and stuff?

https://twitter.com/pauldalyesq/status/ ... 3265224708

Rushed legislation. This is going to end well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:56 
Excellent Painter

I had one of those head slapping moments last night and realised the Tories are running the country like a “long firm”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:

Or, alternatively, why can't people post their stuff somewhere more appropriate?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:24 

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:

Or, alternatively, why can't people post their stuff somewhere more appropriate?

It could be put on paper and distributed by teenagers. Like Deliveroo, but for information.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:53 
Hello Hello Hello

Donald Tusk coming out swinging here.....

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/statu ... 2293266435

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Special

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 

Hearthly wrote:
Donald Tusk coming out swinging here.....

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/statu ... 2293266435

Very much so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 16:01 

The start of his statement is just as blunt, and also pretty bleak:

Donald Tusk wrote:
There are 50 days left until the UK's exit from the European Union, following the decision and the will of the UK authorities. I know that still a very great number of people in the UK, and on the continent, as well as in Ireland, wish for a reversal of this decision. I have always been with you, with all my heart. But the facts are unmistakable. At the moment, the pro-Brexit stance of the UK Prime Minister, and the Leader of the Opposition, rules out this question. Today, there is no political force and no effective leadership for remain. I say this without satisfaction, but you can't argue with the facts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:13 

So, is it even worth getting annoyed by Jeremy Corbyn this morning?

In other news, I'm mildly bemused by all the Leaver-beavers being angry about the 'place in hell' stuff, but not the 'lack of a plan' part.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:33 

Kern wrote:

via The Guardian
Mr Corbyn wrote:
* A “permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union”, including a say in future trade deals.

* Close alignment with the single market, underpinned by “shared institutions”.

Yes, the EU will obviously agree to us having a say.

Giphy "laughter":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3o751WoFkBXEOpvdNm/giphy-loop.mp4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:48 

I'm a Labour member, and sent an email through this form about a week ago: https://www.laboursay.eu/corbyn

Yesterday I got a reply:

Quote:
Dear Nik,

Thank you for getting in touch about a public vote.

It is clear that a growing number of people have lost confidence in the Government’s ability to get the right Brexit deal for the UK. Whether you voted leave or remain, no one voted for the deal that Theresa May negotiated – one which would put jobs, living standards and rights at risk, which failed to deliver frictionless trade, and does not provide certainty about our future.

That is why Labour opposed and Parliament has decisively rejected Theresa May’s deal. The only reason Parliament had this say was down to the hard work of Labour forcing the case for a meaningful vote.

Labour’s approach to Brexit has always been based on our values: internationalism, solidarity, respect for human rights, and achieving social and economic justice. Labour respects the result of the referendum, but we are determined to seek a close and cooperative relationship with the EU that would include a new comprehensive customs union and a strong single market deal with protection for workers’ rights, the economy and environmental standards.

This would be the type of Brexit deal that can win support in Parliament and help bring together a divided country.

We are committed to building on the work of our membership, who agreed our party policy through a motion that was passed unanimously at the Labour Party Conference last year.
This is because the Labour Party believes that if we want to bring the country back together, and address many of the inequalities and injustices that paved the way for the Brexit vote, then we need a general election and we need a Labour Government to act in the public interest.

Our conference motion is clear that we oppose ‘no deal’, and that all options should be on the table in order to break the deadlock and prevent that disastrous outcome, including the option of campaigning for a new public vote.

Thank you once again for contacting us. The Labour Party is determined to use our movement to find solutions and bring this divided country back together. Indeed, we are the only party who can unite our country, and we will continue to listen carefully to the views of local members and constituents.

Best wishes,

Andrew
Membership Services and Correspondence
The Labour Party

My reply this morning:

Quote:
Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. Do you and/or Jeremy Corbyn disagree with these remarks by European Council President Donald Tusk yesterday?

Quote:
There are 50 days left until the UK's exit from the European Union, following the decision and the will of the UK authorities. I know that still a very great number of people in the UK, and on the continent, as well as in Ireland, wish for a reversal of this decision. I have always been with you, with all my heart. But the facts are unmistakable. At the moment, the pro-Brexit stance of the UK Prime Minister, and the Leader of the Opposition, rules out this question. Today, there is no political force and no effective leadership for remain. I say this without satisfaction, but you can't argue with the facts.

If not, do you accept that this situation is almost certain to prove electorally disastrous for the Labour Party, and is likely to cause long-standing party members (such as me) to re-consider our membership?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Kern wrote:
Kern wrote:

via The Guardian
Mr Corbyn wrote:
* A “permanent and comprehensive UK-wide customs union”, including a say in future trade deals.

* Close alignment with the single market, underpinned by “shared institutions”.

Yes, the EU will obviously agree to us having a say.

There's something that would give us all of that type of thing but even better, what's it called now? Hang on, EU membership, that's the fella.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:55 

Nik wrote:
https://www.laboursay.eu/corbyn

Are they aware they're shortly going to lose that domain name?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 

Kern wrote:
Nik wrote:
https://www.laboursay.eu/corbyn

Are they aware they're shortly going to lose that domain name?

Along with their entire raison d'être. :'(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 16:13 

The Tusk statement provided Parliament with some Vintage Bercow yesterday:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
Mr Peter Bone (Wellingborough) (Con):

On a point of order, Mr Speaker. I am sorry that I have not given you notice of this, but it was not possible. Since Prime Minister’s questions began, the President of the European Council has said that there is a “special place in hell” reserved for Brexiteers. I do not recall any president insulting Members of this House, members of the Government and the British people in such a way. What means are open to the House or the Government to respond to such a completely outrageous insult?

Mr Speaker:

I am not responsible for the statements of the President of the European Council, and I did not know—I was not hitherto conscious—that the hon. Gentleman was notably sensitive, that he was in any sense a delicate flower, and that he was capable of being a quickly and severely injured soul by virtue of the ad hominem remarks of others. If indeed he has been developing a sensitivity and he feels insulted—[Interruption.] Or even, as the right hon. Member for New Forest East (Dr Lewis) chunters from a sedentary position, wounded.

Dr Julian Lewis (New Forest East) (Con) :

Deeply.

Mr Speaker:

Deeply wounded, apparently. Well, then I am sorry for the hon. Member for Wellingborough (Mr Bone). Whatever views he has and expresses, as far as I am concerned, as he knows, I hold him in the highest esteem because he takes Parliament seriously— he always has done and he always will do. It is not for the Speaker to arbitrate between different political opinions. What the Speaker likes to see and hear is the sight and sound of committed parliamentarians who take their responsibilities seriously. No one does so more obviously than the hon. Gentleman.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 17:15 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

"chunters from a sedentary position"

:DD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 17:18 

Cras wrote:
"chunters from a sedentary position"

:DD

that's also Curio complaining he's been sniped again in an FPS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 19:28 

In the Smoke for another Remainiacs Live. It's like group therapy for political nerds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 14:57 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status ... 7403873280

So the ferry company that got all the money but does not have any ferries to run also does not have a port to run them from .....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 15:12 

Bloody remoaners and their details. Just bloody well get on with it we didn't have "ports" at Dunkirk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 15:13 

zaphod79 wrote:
So the ferry company that got all the money but does not have any ferries to run also does not have a port to run them from .....

The Magic Money Tree works in mysterious ways.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 15:24 

According to the BBC unnamed ministers are seriously concerned that tumbling out of the EU into the No Deal Mad Max Apocalypse would be sufficent to trigger a border poll in Northern Ireland. To be honest, I'm not sure that NI would be the only part of the UK to flounce out, and in that scenario Theresa May will end her days in an attic muttering about 'our precious Union' to a few confused rats.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 16:55 
Unpossible!

Different sort of Brexit bus rocked up at work today

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 16:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lulz good luck, young people. Vote or something.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 18:02 

Who's MP8?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 18:04 
Hibernating Druid

The Brexit Protocol droid in the next Star Wars film.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:19 
Unpossible!

I'm not sure you see on the poster, but the students were signing the bus all day.

I declined.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:20 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
I'm not sure you see on the poster, but the students were signing the bus all day.

I declined.

Because you're not a young person, I presume.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:30 
ugvm'er at heart...

Lonewolves wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I declined.

Because you're not a young person, I presume.

Because he's a foaming at the mouth brexiteer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:31 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I would be interested to know how many of them voted.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:38 
Hello Hello Hello

This is rather scary:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... k-homepage

Attachment:
crapperts.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 19:54 
Sleepyhead

Yeah, but only because the Remain side hate her all of the time, so don’t switch whether she’s talking Crap Deal or No Deal, whereas the Foaming Gammons wet themselves with glee at the idea of a No Deal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:30 

Grim... wrote:

I want to know who these 'young people' are that don't vote - I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:47 
UltraMod

TheCookie197 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I want to know who these 'young people' are that don't vote - I can't think of anyone I know that doesn't.

Check any polling results. Old people vote in their droves, young people are much more apathetic.

It’s possible you surround yourself with other like-minded young politicos and therefore your view is somewhat skewed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 20:57 
Excellent Member

Everything's coming together for worst case fucking scenario then. And I bet when everything goes to shit the cunts will hoover up more votes by crying up how the EU betrayed us, stoke racism and wave flags as the Good Friday agreement shatters.

I've never been so angry and so depressed. I'm only glad I'm able to switch off and enjoy things like excellent weekends at Kern's, otherwise I'd be an utterly broken thing.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:03 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
I would be interested to know how many of them voted.

How many people that are currently 18-21 voted on something three years ago? I mean, it's not going to be many; but not for the reason you're suggesting...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:12 
Gogmagog

"Dog ate it, miss"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 21:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
TheCookie197 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Check any polling results. Old people vote in their droves, young people are much more apathetic.

It’s possible you surround yourself with other like-minded young politicos and therefore your view is somewhat skewed.

To be fair, the results for the brexit vote have very little difference in turnout rate between 18-20 year olds and anything up to people in their fifties. Turnout doesn't start spiking up until 60+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:17 
Isn't that lovely?

My eldest son (currently aged 20) missed out on being old enough to vote by 12 days. Obviously most of the people in his year where old enough to vote and from what he says. Most did.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:20 

Cras wrote:
To be fair, the results for the brexit vote have very little difference in turnout rate between 18-20 year olds and anything up to people in their fifties. Turnout doesn't start spiking up until 60+

I'd shift polling day to a weekend or declare it a bank holiday. Of course, it won't automatically get people to the polling booth, and I am uncomfortable with compulsory voting. Utterly against electronic voting or other gimmicks to encourage 'those hip young people' to vote.

But as with languages, I fear we start teaching 'civics' off far too late in this country: if people aren't gorwing up knowing why it matters, why are they going to bother later on? Having a decent voting system would probably help too, but that's another argument..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 

NervousPete wrote:
I'm only glad I'm able to switch off and enjoy things like excellent weekends at Kern's, otherwise I'd be an utterly broken thing.

:luv:

Sadly, no matter how hard we tried, it didn't go away completely:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Kern wrote:
Utterly against electronic voting or other gimmicks to encourage 'those hip young people' to vote.

Really? How come?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 
Isn't that lovely?

Kern wrote:
Having a decent voting system would probably help too, but that's another argument..

I'm not sure it is, I think half of the problem is that something like 60% of people (that did vote) haven't voted for the UK Government that gets elected in a while (in Fact, I've just looked through the past 90 years of election results and the last time over 50% of the voters voted for the winning party was in 1931!) This leads people to believe there is no point in voting! Electoral Reform is in my opinion the obvious next step to take.

Reply to topic  [ 6503 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 131  Next