Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366 ... 422  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Movie topic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 17:11 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Satsuma wrote:
I think this forum needs to reach a consensus as to whether Predator 2 is a classic film or not.

Rewatching it I loved it (kinda) but it’s got some large annoyances that I’m finding very difficult to look past.

Hnnngh.

I have not watched it in a very very long time but it has Bill Paxton in it so its obviously a classic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 17:47 

Satsuma wrote:
I think this forum needs to reach a consensus as to whether Predator 2 is a classic film or not.

I like Predator 2 *almost* as much as I like the original.

Pros:

- More Predator
- Danny Glover kicking ass and taking names
- Bill Paxton
- Gary Busey
- Adds loads of intrigue and mystery to the Predator race, and does this simply by having one of them hand Danny Glover a gun
- Scores a 1 on the Craster scale

Cons:

- The Alien skull on the ship at the end (I liked the idea, but I don't think they knew what a can of fucking worms it was going to open)
- Maria Conchita Alonso is criminally underused in the movie
- Gary Busey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 17:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:

Coincidentally, I decided this week that I wasn't going to renew http://www.thecrasterscale.co.uk, so if you want to look at it do it soon :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 18:46 
Bad Girl

GazChap wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

I like Predator 2 *almost* as much as I like the original.

Pros:

- More Predator
- Danny Glover kicking ass and taking names
- Bill Paxton
- Gary Busey
- Adds loads of intrigue and mystery to the Predator race, and does this simply by having one of them hand Danny Glover a gun

Cons:

- The Alien skull on the ship at the end (I liked the idea, but I don't think they knew what a can of fucking worms it was going to open)
- Maria Conchita Alonso is criminally underused in the movie
- Gary Busey

Interesting.

It feels 80’s. It tries to do a Robocop in terms of the mad TV shows (Hard CORE) and the near future setting (1997!) where America is a shit hole where the criminals rule the streets and police are at war. I’m not sure if I like the “Hard Core” news report though which doesn’t add to the story at all. But it does add flavour to the setting so I suppose it’s alright.

I liked that although we’d seen the Predator before they keep him largely off screen until later on in the film.

I REALLY enjoyed the opening sequence with The Scorpio. Except (a) after everyone is dead they inspect a body that’s strung up. The body has bullet holes in it and they pan up the wall which shows where the bullets passed through and hit the wall, with blood splats etc. Then someone says “No one was shot! What’s going on!?” just as the camera pans back again to show the body with bullet holes in it, and (b) no one can aim a fucking gun, and (c) the whole premise of the opening sequence is two motorcycle cops caught in a crossfire that are bleeding to death and need to be rescued. They repeat that no one has been shot or injured yet police keep getting shot in the face and shit during the entire sequence. The baddies must kill about 4 cops for these two cops that are bleeding to death.

I like it when the Jamaicans get took out but the Predator has to use ALL of his new gadgets for some reason. One after another Jamaicans are killed with a new gadget - spear, big form, laser, circle cutter. It’s all a bit daft. He never used any of these before and now she’s got this entire arsenal at his disposal.

Danny Glover is brilliant. BUT he could have had some weapons training. He’s supposed to be this hardened cop but to see him swing his gun about like a lunatic is embarrassing.

There’s one really embarrassing shot where the camera swings about as Glover is swinging his head to find the Predator. It’s crap. Like a cheesy horror flick.

How come EVERY SINGLE GUN has a laser sight on it!? And how come Bill Paxton is the ONLY person in the entire film to turn his on!?

The train sequence is a bit odd and unnecessary. Why does the Predator attack Paxton (presumably he went for him) in a busy train when he’s previously waited for a quiet moment away from prying eyes?

This is the first sequence where the Predator gets shot too but for some reason all the bullets miss his soft squishy parts despite his centre mass being protected by a fish net... his shoulder plates get hit with bullets but despite Paxton clearly plugging him at point blank range, something Glover does later in the exact same way, the Predator doesn’t get hit once. Maybe it’s because Glover used a shotgun and the Predators muscle mass can stop low calibre bullets? Nah, it’s just cause it was poorly thought out.

Oh and Glover is apparently the greatest detective ever cause he rocks up and without missing a beat says “it’s [the reason the passengers were killed] because they had weapons” despite it being dark and him only being there for 30 seconds and having no other evidence to suggest that was the cause of so many death.

The slaughterhouse fight patently rips off Aliens. I ain’t bothered with that though. Predator jumping amongst the feds and killing them was good. Dude getting chopped in half was glorious.

This is where Glover shoots the Predator at point blank range and chases him. Glover drops his gun and decides “yeah, I’ll still chase this alien”. It’s stupid. You could have had the same sequence and Glover lose his gun at the final fight instead.

The close ups of the alien’s face aren’t very scary. It looks like a big mechanical head. Which it is.

I liked how Glover was about to call him an “ugly mutha”. It’s a cool call back.

Oh but the Predator loses his mask and yet he is still able to see in heat vision? So the mask is just there for...the overlay? I think they bodged this up but someone on here before said that the Predators natural vision is heat vision so...um, I don’t know.

Finally, the spaceship being in the sewers was a stupid idea. That the Predator has a special hole in an elevator shaft was stupid. The effects show their age at the end too, which is a shame. I didn’t mind the Alien head.

Those are my thoughts.

Fin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:08 

Satsuma wrote:
Oh but the Predator loses his mask and yet he is still able to see in heat vision? So the mask is just there for...the overlay? I think they bodged this up but someone on here before said that the Predators natural vision is heat vision so...um, I don’t know.

The exact same thing happens in Predator. The clear implication of what you see is that the mask modulates the heat vision so it’s less overwhelming. With the mask on, the Predator sees humans clearly standing out from the background. When it’s removed, its vision becomes a riot of colour, with the prey much harder to pick out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:12 

Here’s what I’m basing that on: https://youtu.be/80EaBRgGylo

Canon written up on the web appears to disagree with this interpretation but it always look quite clear to me based on what the film shows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:12 
Bad Girl

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

The exact same thing happens in Predator. The clear implication of what you see is that the mask modulates the heat vision so it’s less overwhelming. With the mask on, the Predator sees humans clearly standing out from the background. When it’s removed, its vision becomes a riot of colour, with the prey much harder to pick out.

That’s not the same thing. Predator 2 it’s the same exact heat vision with and without the mask.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:17 
Bad Girl

With mask @ 2:10: https://youtu.be/ELbXV53GYTI

Without mask @ 4:15 : https://youtu.be/5E2tBukZAQc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:24 

Satsuma wrote:
That’s not the same thing. Predator 2 it’s the same exact heat vision with and without the mask.

Satsuma wrote:
Without mask @ 4:15 : https://youtu.be/5E2tBukZAQc

It's in a freezer. Ambient is very cold. It can see fine without the mask.

Predator 1 is in a jungle. Ambient is almost blood-warm. It can't see very well with the mask to tease out and exaggerate small differences in temperature between the surroundings and the people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 19:37 
Bad Girl

Fascinating.

So what about when he’s on the roof minutes later?

@ 0:22 https://youtu.be/kEWe9V_Aiis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:08 

I dunno what you want from me here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 20:48 
Bad Girl

I think I’ll stick with “they bodged it up” and chalk it down to a misguided continuity error.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 21:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Concur.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 22:11 

Having done some reading, it appears to be a bit of a mess of moderately conflicting portrayals between P1, P2, and AvP. Plus various comics/novels/games/etc that might or might not be canon according to your fancy.

FWIW Wikipedia says:

Quote:
Their vision operates mainly in the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum; they can easily detect heat differentials in their surroundings but are unable to easily distinguish among objects of the same relative temperature.[13] A Predator's bio-mask increases its ability to see in a variety of spectra, ranging from the low infrared to the high ultraviolet, and also filters the ambient heat from the area, allowing them to see things with greater clarity and detail.[5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 22:59 
Gogmagog

Film Review! The Meg

Epic. Glorious. Statham fights a shark. Final third is amazing.

9/10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 23:48 
ugvm'er at heart...

MaliA wrote:
Film Review! The Meg

9/10

I turned it off before the final third as it was utter trash!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 0:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

MaliA wrote:
Film Review! The Meg

9/10

In

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 0:55 
Rude Belittler

Satsuma wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Isle of Dogs is even more Wes Anderson than a normal Wes Anderson, which might be good or bad.

It's the best animated of all those films. The animation is a goddamn work of art. As a film? I enjoyed it about as much as I enjoyed The Happytime Murders. Which is quite a bit. But not that much. A solid 80% score.

I don’t know where to start with this... Isle of Dogs is in a different league to that travesty.

I said I liked it! It's the only Wes Anderson film I haven't switched off halfwat through due to boredom!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night’s film was ‘MY NAME IS JOE’, a Ken Loach film from 1998 I’ve been aware of since forever (well, 1998 at least), but have never seen.

It follows recovering alcoholic Joe (played by Peter Mullan) as he navigates his life in one of Glasgow’s poorest and roughest neighbourhoods, where unemployment is 50% and violence, drugs, and alcoholism are rife.

Joe himself is 38 years old and unemployed, but he does odd jobs for cash in hand, helps manage a local low-league football team, and tries to mentor a reformed drug addict called Liam, who is out of jail and trying to turn his life around, whilst Liam’s girlfriend, Sabine’s drug use carries on unabated and the social workers and health visitors are taking an interest in the welfare of their young son.

Joe’s orbit passes into that of Sarah, a social worker who is involved with Liam’s case, he takes on a job doing some wallpapering for her at her house, and the two strike up a friendship that blossoms into romance. (Sarah’s backstory is not much explored, but we learn that both her parents are dead, she has no romantic attachments and lives a fairly lonely life in her house. Some darkness is hinted it during one of her conversations with Joe but we don’t learn the details.)

As the film progresses we learn that Liam is in debt to local drug dealers for £2000 due to his girlfriend’s ongoing drug use, and her using the drugs that she was supposed to be selling whilst Liam was in jail. (£2000 is an astronomical amount of cash, and is spoken of in the kinds of terms often reserved for talking about billions, these are people to whom £20 is a lot of money.)

Joe protects Liam as best he can, but the ultimatum finally comes in the form of either paying up the £2000, Liam’s girlfriend is put to work as a prostitute, Liam’s legs are broken, or Joe can do a couple of jobs for the drug dealer, with whom he has a history.

I found this film utterly engrossing and deeply moving, the deprivation and poverty of Glasgow is juxtaposed beautifully with the fierce friendships and loyalties that people maintain with each other, in the face of crushing odds against them achieving even the most meagre of existences.

Watching Joe and Sarah’s romance blossom is wonderful, but as this is a Ken Loach film, things are, of course, going to start to go wrong.

This isn’t as nakedly political a film as the toweringly superb ‘I, Daniel Blake’, but its impact is not lessened any because of this, it is in many ways a fairly simple tale, fantastically well told, with an emotional resonance that grabs you right from the opening frames and doesn’t let go until the credits roll.

932/1000 - Available on Amazon Prime or, as I found out after watching it, the entire film is on YouTube, so no excuses for not watching it.
https://youtu.be/BEvEzO0KXhA <<< Link to the full film.

NOTE - It is a VERY SCOTTISH film, I could follow it OK but you’ll need to concentrate on what’s being said sometimes unless you’re Scottish.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2019-01-25 at 08.11.25.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 13:29 
Gogmagog

My Name is Joe is brilliant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 15:36 
Hibernating Druid

His decorating doesn't look brilliant.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 
Hello Hello Hello

That's one of jokes, neither him or his friend are much good at decorating and the lass wants her ceiling wallpapered, so they come out with a load of crap to her about how it's a bad idea to wallpaper a ceiling to get out of having to attempt it.

Then he gets spied working by the social so runs out into the street and has an altercation with the social security inspector, hence being out in the road with a bucket and paintbrush.

It's a bloody good film. And all on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
And all on YouTube!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 20:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Finally got to see Into The Spider Verse. It's fucking great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 20:44 
Unpossible!

Grim... wrote:
Finally got to see Into The Spider Verse. It's fucking great.

Correct

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:30 
Isn't that lovely?

Watched Polar last night on Netflix. Mads Mickelson plays a retiring hitman, about to claim his substantial pension. His boss
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Matt Lucas
(don't let that put you off) decides it would be cheaper to kill him. So you end up with a film that's basically Commando or Taken or John Wick or Old Boy or anyone of a number of lone antihero takes on masses of people trying to kill him.

I really enjoyed it. A little formulaic, but perfect for a Saturday night, don't want to think too much, action revenge film.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 17:58 
Prince of Fops

Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Taking the family to see Spiderverse as an end-of-holidays treat. I've been off for so long, I don't think I even remember where I work

Let us know what you think. I'm keen to take the kids, I think 7 yo Fop would be fine, but suspect it may be a bit violent for 2.5 yo Fop.

It was AWESOME. My kids are nearly-eight and just-turned-six and they both loved it. There's no graphic violence but there are a few on screen deaths. It is rather long too, so maybe the youngling might struggle.

Jolly good, will bring to the Fop table.

Possibly the best film I've seen in years. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like it.

Was a bit scarier than my kids would have preferred (green goblin and the prowler) but they loved it nevertheless.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:55 
Hello Hello Hello

Last night’s film was 1997’s ‘STARSHIP TROOPERS’ which I’ve never seen before. How I’ve managed to swerve this one for 22 years I have no idea, especially since I really like Verhoeven as a director and I understood that whilst the film had reviewed pretty poorly at release because stupid people didn’t understand it, it had come to be more appreciated over time.

The film works on two levels (very much like Robocop), so it’s great anti-war satire piece (and scarily prescient since it was made before 9/11 and the war on terror) but also a really fucking good sci-fi action film with splendidly over the top violence, a solid 1 on the Craster scale, and special effects that hold up remarkably well today. (Honestly, the CGI in this is better than a lot of contemporary films, and is also used in conjunction with a lot of model and miniature work.)

How some people managed to miss that the film is a satire is absolutely beyond me, since, ‘yknow, Verhoeven, and the entire first act, but there we are.

Lines line ‘Mobile infantry made me the man I am today’, delivered by a desk bound soldier with a prosthetic arm, as the camera pans down to show he has no legs, don’t leave much wiggle room in terms of interpretation.

Anyway, the whole thing is splendid, remove the satire from the piece completely and you’re still left with a fantastic blood ‘n guts action movie with some amazing setpieces, a great cast and some fantastic lines.

Any film that has Michael Ironside deadpanning ‘They sucked his brains out!’ is alright by me.

875/1000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:36 
SavyGamer

Yeah it's great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:06 
Hello Hello Hello

Decent article on Cracked about it:

(Paul Verhoeven is a time traveller, basically.)

http://www.cracked.com/article_19259_6- ... uture.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:10 
Isn't that lovely?

Hearthly wrote:
Decent article on Cracked about it:

(Paul Verhoeven is a time traveller, basically.)

http://www.cracked.com/article_19259_6- ... uture.html

I watched an interesting "What's the difference" video on CineFix on Youtube that compared the film to the book that was quite interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdqZonkOlDU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've never watched Starship Troopers you know... I think I probably should.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:48 
Unpossible!

TheVision wrote:

Would you like to know more?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:51 
Excellent Painter

The book by Heinlein very much isn’t a satire. I think the confusion stems from there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Movie in-joke directed at bloke who hasn't seen the movie.

GOOD MOVE MR PAZ.

Get it watched Vision, it's fecking brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:58 
Comfortably Dumb

I nearly bought it to watch last night, but it's £8.99 pretty much everywhere, so I figured I'd just stick with the cheap stuff I'd bought from the Google Play/Amazon sale.

I did rewatch Skyline at the weekend as I couldn't remember if it was good or not. It wasn't. The Cloverfield approach of assuming we actually give a toss about the human characters so spends way too much time on them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 
Unpossible!

Hearthly wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

GOOD MOVE MR PAZ.

I figured he'd get a kick out of it after he'd seen the film.

But you've ruined it now.

GOOD MOVE MR TURNIP.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:10 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

DavPaz wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

GOOD MOVE MR PAZ.

I figured he'd get a kick out of it after he'd seen the film.

But you've ruined it now.

GOOD MOVE MR TURNIP.

That's it ruined... I'm not watching it now. Thanks a lot everyone! Ruined!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 
Unpossible!

But watching guarantees citizenship

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:58 
Hibernating Druid

Watched a couple of good'uns over the weekend.

Split - James McAvoy is superb in this, jumping from one persona to another with hilarious consequences. Looking forward to watching Glass now.

Annihilation - Although based on another novel it struck me as very 'The Color Out of Space' to me. Which is a good thing. Solid freaky Sci-Fi.
That fucking bear! :metul: :zombie:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 21:12 
Prince of Fops

Malc wrote:
Watched Polar last night on Netflix. Mads Mickelson plays a retiring hitman, about to claim his substantial pension. His boss
Matt Lucas
(don't let that put you off) decides it would be cheaper to kill him. So you end up with a film that's basically Commando or Taken or John Wick or Old Boy or anyone of a number of lone antihero takes on masses of people trying to kill him.

I really enjoyed it. A little formulaic, but perfect for a Saturday night, don't want to think too much, action revenge film.

Halfway through this, enjoying it a lot. Notes of Happy and Kingsman about it. It's very much a fun (albeit at times gruesome) film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:29 
Hibernating Druid

Starship Trooper Review - For The Vision

It's awesome. Scores 1 on the Craster scale (possibly half?)

Can't believe you've not seen it yet, try harder.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:31 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Zardoz wrote:

It's awesome. Scores 1 on the Craster scale (possibly half?).

ZERO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 
Hibernating Druid

:D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:43 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

ZERO.

Look, just because it's a terrible moment in history doesn't mean it's not technically a star.

Plus Dizzy isn't the only one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 13:07 
Bad Girl

I watched another shit film.

xXx: The Return of Zander Cage

It’s The Fast and the Furious but with the good stuff taken out (The Rock) and more of the bad stuff shoved in (Vin Diesel). Vin Diesel looks like a plate of pie and mash on steroids. The script is shockingly bad. The misogyny is tripled in keeping with the films title. The acting is ... absent. The action is actually ... pretty alright in the main; like one of the recent F&F films.

But the worst noise is the cast:

Donnie (Kung-Fuck you in the face!) Yen
Tony (Mixed Martial Arsekicking) Yaa
Ruby (Wicky wicky Wick 2 sex bomb) Rose
Ice (Mean muggin) Cube
Rory (Eat all the fucking chicken GoT) McCann
Nay (footballing) -mar?
Hermione (nice to look at) Corfield
Deepika (Ultra hot Bollywood actress) Padukone

who are ALL underused. Tony Yaa is made to wear a blonde spilt wig (it’s probably his own hair) and is barely in it. Donnie Yen fares better but despite being a much better action star than Vin Diesel of course the Mitchellin Man gets most of the screen time. You should see the opening scenes, oh boy, I bet VD wrote them himself. Like anyone seriously goes to the movies to watch that fat Right Said Fred reject “act”. I’ve Cube turns up at the end with one of the worse lines delivered in any film (“Rock, paper, stone, grenade launcher”.). Gregor Clegane is relegated to the stupidest part where he wants to get in 200 car crashes. He’s also barely in it and has about 3 lines of dialogue so when he does get his 200th crash you’ll just roll your eyes, like “what the fuck was that all about”.

So if you seriously like more recent The Fast & Furious movies, like seriously, not ironically, then you’ll love xXx: The Return of Zander Cage. If you see the F&F films as the hot trash they are then you’ll get some pleasure out of this but you’ll mainly for laughing at how bad it is.

Fuck off Vin Diesel to wherever Courtney Jai has disappeared/10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 13:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Satsuma wrote:
Tony Yaa is made to wear a blonde spilt wig (it’s probably his own hair) and is barely in it.

You'd think they'd have got him a wig that fits.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 13:22 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

ZERO.

Look, just because it's a terrible moment in history doesn't mean it's not technically a star.

Sorry, is it called the Grim... Scale?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 13:26 
Hibernating Druid

Oooooooh!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 13:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cras wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Cras wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

ZERO.

Sorry, is it called the Grim... Scale?

Christ no, I'm all woke and shit.

Reply to topic  [ 21087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366 ... 422  Next