Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 1501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PS Plus thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 15:05 
Bad Girl

I miss SSX3. It was arguably better than SSX Tricky and had Paul Wall’s “Sittin Sidewayz” as you rocketed downhill. I always thought it was an odd song to include for a mainstream game and absolutely rocked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 21:22 
Excellent Member

I've just given up on Yakuza Kiwami after about an hour or so because the combat just wasn't gelling for me.

I got through it all okay up until what felt like the first 'proper' fight in the club. On my first go I just got destroyed which taught me to move around a lot more; after which I was getting through the henchmen pretty easily. It always then boiled down to a really miserable war of attrition with the boss guy and, even with the two AI helpers, he'd always eventually drop me.

The dodge barely seems to move you more than a millimeter so couldn't be relied on to get you out of trouble, and any given attack would either do a tiny amount of damage or just get blocked. It always just seemed like total chaos with the characters flipping around constantly and no real strategy that I could pick out. Treating it like a Final Fight style brawler just gets you murdered but, at the same time, your character doesn't have a fraction of the agility required for a proper fighting style like your Bloodbornes etc so, in the end, I just couldn't find a level with it.

Which is a shame because even at that early stage I was enjoying the story and characters a lot. Also, interestingly, when playing a few demos of Yakuza games over the years, I've felt like I was starting to grasp the combat even based on such short experiences. Given a full game though I've just fallen off the back of it entirely. Ah well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 21:46 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
I've just given up on Yakuza Kiwami after about an hour or so because the combat just wasn't gelling for me.

I got through it all okay up until what felt like the first 'proper' fight in the club. On my first go I just got destroyed which taught me to move around a lot more; after which I was getting through the henchmen pretty easily. It always then boiled down to a really miserable war of attrition with the boss guy and, even with the two AI helpers, he'd always eventually drop me.

The dodge barely seems to move you more than a millimeter so couldn't be relied on to get you out of trouble, and any given attack would either do a tiny amount of damage or just get blocked. It always just seemed like total chaos with the characters flipping around constantly and no real strategy that I could pick out. Treating it like a Final Fight style brawler just gets you murdered but, at the same time, your character doesn't have a fraction of the agility required for a proper fighting style like your Bloodbornes etc so, in the end, I just couldn't find a level with it.

Which is a shame because even at that early stage I was enjoying the story and characters a lot. Also, interestingly, when playing a few demos of Yakuza games over the years, I've felt like I was starting to grasp the combat even based on such short experiences. Given a full game though I've just fallen off the back of it entirely. Ah well.

I've been eyeing this up in my library. Though you've had a bad experience with it, is Kiwami the one to start with rather than Zero? I have both.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 22:16 
Excellent Member

Timeline wise it gets a bit confusing. Zero is a prequel to the entire series that was released relatively recently (2015). Kiwami is a 2016 remake of the very first Yakuza game from back in 2005; so although it was released more recently than Zero it's based on a much older game.

If I had both I'd be tempted to start with Zero because (a) you're getting in on the ground floor of the story and (b) Kiwami apparently had some story stuff changed (from the original Yakuza game) so it tied more closely to Zero, which implies to me they're intended to be played in that order. I honestly know very little about the series though so certainly don't take my word for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:47 
Prince of Fops

Bamba wrote:
Timeline wise it gets a bit confusing. Zero is a prequel to the entire series that was released relatively recently (2015). Kiwami is a 2016 remake of the very first Yakuza game from back in 2005; so although it was released more recently than Zero it's based on a much older game.

If I had both I'd be tempted to start with Zero because (a) you're getting in on the ground floor of the story and (b) Kiwami apparently had some story stuff changed (from the original Yakuza game) so it tied more closely to Zero, which implies to me they're intended to be played in that order. I honestly know very little about the series though so certainly don't take my word for it.

Thank you, sounds eminently sensible to me. Zero it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 
Hibernating Druid

Yakuza Zero is batshit brilliant. Enjoy.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:12 
Bad Girl

Febs games:

For Honor, PS4 - meh Ubisoft fighting game that was given away on Xbox GwG a few months back.
Hitman: Season 1, PS4 - Really good Hitman game.
Divekick, PS3 (Cross-Buy with PS Vita) - Some shit
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, PS3 - utter shit.
Gunhouse, PS Vita (Cross-Buy with PS4) - no idea
Rogue Aces, PS Vita (Cross-Buy with PS4) - *blank look*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:22 
UltraMod

Divekick is awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Also Cloud Storage goes up to 100GB.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:35 

Grim... wrote:

Wake me up when

a) all video/screenshots I capture are automatically synced to it, within my 100 GB limit
b) they are then available to the mobile app so I can actually share these things like it's not the fucking 90s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 18:48 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Wake me up when

a) all video/screenshots I capture are automatically synced to it, within my 100 GB limit
b) they are then available to the mobile app so I can actually share these things like it's not the fucking 90s

I'm surprised they don't already do this. I'm even more surprised that this is something that Xbox does this quite well. I say quite well, it's actually easier to use a third party app to share screen shots and uploads via my phone but still... the option is there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 20:38 
UltraMod

Of course it’s something Xbox does well. Microsoft are an IT company. Sony are not.

Nintendo, well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 0:12 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I do think it's rather easy to share pictures and videos on the Switch via Twitter. Almost seamless.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 0:14 
Excellent Member

I have zero interest in For Honour but Hitman looks all kinds of awesome. It's odd actually because that Hitman game looks right up my alley (I've laughed at loads of it being played on the Outside Xbox YouTube channel) but it's never occurred to me to pick it up as I've no history with the franchise. Now I'm getting it for 'free' though I'm very interested.

Brains are fucking weird.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 0:19 
Excellent Member

TheVision wrote:
I do think it's rather easy to share pictures and videos on the Switch via Twitter. Almost seamless.

Does it assume that you have a Twitter account? Because that's a pretty big fucking seam.

Getting images (video is more problematic I realise) off your console shouldn't require any kind of third party bullshit. Let me email it to myself, everything else is optional.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 0:27 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

But what would you do with them once they're emailed? Surely you'd want to show them off to your friends which is where Twitter is ideal. Nintendo are just cutting out the middle man!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 0:54 
Hibernating Druid

Bamba wrote:

Do you eat a lot of tuna?

Or cats?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Bamba wrote:
Getting images (video is more problematic I realise) off your console shouldn't require any kind of third party bullshit. Let me email it to myself, everything else is optional.

I fear the time it would take to code your own email server and client would offset this somewhat.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:34 

Bamba wrote:
Let me email it to myself, everything else is optional.

Email? In this, the year of our Lord two thousand and nineteen? Alright grandpa, what do you do with it after getting the email? Send it to your buddies on ICQ? Post it to Slashdot? Share it on Usenet?

(It should be cloud synced. I'd be delighted if everything I captured just went straight to Google Drive / Dropbox / iCloud.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 
Hibernating Druid

Captures go in Pokéballs, Gramps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Send it to your buddies on ICQ?

Due to its popularity in Russia, I wouldn't be surprised if ICQ had more users than Allo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:57 

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Send it to your buddies on ICQ?

Due to its popularity in Russia, I wouldn't be surprised if ICQ had more users than Allo.

a) it's not really the same thing as what we called ICQ in anything more than name
b) yeah no shit: https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/5/1812 ... o-end-date

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:57 
Excellent Member

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Let me email it to myself, everything else is optional.

Email? In this, the year of our Lord two thousand and nineteen? Alright grandpa, what do you do with it after getting the email? Send it to your buddies on ICQ? Post it to Slashdot? Share it on Usenet?

(It should be cloud synced. I'd be delighted if everything I captured just went straight to Google Drive / Dropbox / iCloud.)

Email is something everyone has and there's nothing you can't do once it's been sent to you; it should be the first thing they do with other stuff after that. They've already got your email address so it requires nothing further on the part of the user. Aside from anything else, it would mean you didn't have to grant Sony access to do stuff to your Dropbox et al, which given their security track record seems like a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:59 

I didn't ask for a perfectly reasonable response, dammit Bamba!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:01 

(More serious answer: emailing large files is, of course, a shitshow, for a depressingly small value of "large". It'd be fine for images but unworkable for video. My might-actually-work serious preferred choice would be, as I said upthread, for Sony to put them in its own cloud storage, with access to them through the mobile app. Maybe have an optional time-to-live on the files so I don't need to go keep clearing out old video files to make room.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:05 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
a) it's not really the same thing as what we called ICQ in anything more than name

Oddly enough, I installed it the other week (we're hunting for HipChat replacements, and we were mainly dicking around).

It's got more features, obviously, but it's still recognisably ICQ. You still get a number!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 
Comfortably Dumb

Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Oddly enough, I installed it the other week (we're hunting for HipChat replacements, and we were mainly dicking around).

It's got more features, obviously, but it's still recognisably ICQ. You still get a number!

Oddly, I still remember my original number, despite it being years since I've even thought about ICQ. I wonder if my account is still there.

EDIT.. doesn't look like it.. oh well

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:52 
Excellent Painter

devilman wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Oddly, I still remember my original number, despite it being years since I've even thought about ICQ. I wonder if my account is still there.

EDIT.. doesn't look like it.. oh well

I think my old ICQ number is in my member profile on here...

EDIT. Nope!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:55 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I don't remember my ICQ number, but i do remember the little "uh-oh" noise it used to make. And also someone thinking it was "Icy Cucumber"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 13:44 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I don't remember my old ICQ number but I wonder if that American girl I used to talk to is still on there? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 14:01 
Hibernating Druid

Yes.

Yes, I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 16:17 
Participant in dramatic games

Bamba wrote:
I have zero interest in For Honour but Hitman looks all kinds of awesome. It's odd actually because that Hitman game looks right up my alley (I've laughed at loads of it being played on the Outside Xbox YouTube channel) but it's never occurred to me to pick it up as I've no history with the franchise. Now I'm getting it for 'free' though I'm very interested.

I've got the hitman ps-vita game (a bit lasersquad, quite fun), but this is quite different i heard?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:38 
Prince of Fops

Rogue Heroes is much fun on the Vita. Jetstrike vibes and gets much more interesting when you get into the Frontline Campaign, which sees you fighting battles across multiple islands.

Lovely bright graphics and a decent sense of humour. Not going to change the world but excellent for free.

Also, the day/night cycle is lovely (as most day/night cycles are)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:42 
Prince of Fops

Findus Fop wrote:
Rogue Heroes is much fun on the Vita. Jetstrike vibes and gets much more interesting when you get into the Frontline Campaign, which sees you fighting battles across multiple islands.

Lovely bright graphics and a decent sense of humour. Not going to change the world but excellent for free.

Also, the day/night cycle is lovely (as most day/night cycles are)

Or Rogue Aces.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:09 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I have this on my Switch and yes, it's great. It does get hard pretty quick though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 13:39 
Prince of Fops

TheVision wrote:
I have this on my Switch and yes, it's great. It does get hard pretty quick though.

Yep, having extreme issues dog fighting their ace. Haven't found a reliable strategy yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 16:57 
Hello Hello Hello

Satsuma wrote:
Hitman: Season 1, PS4 - Really good Hitman game.

I downloaded this and gave it a go.

Didn't like it at all.

Graphics look like pump, framerate all over the place, controlled like a bag of arses, game didn't seem very interesting.

Gave up after an hour.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 18:15 
UltraMod

Sorry you don’t like Hitman games. :shrug:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 22:18 
Participant in dramatic games

got a mail that the last vita game was this month... shame they didn't go out with a bang..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 16:37 
Excellent Member

So apparently if you download then demo for Hitman 2 you can then import the levels from the previous game into it and play them all with the new engine and updated visuals. I haven't tried it myself yet but there's loads of chat about being able to do it online. Apparently they made the levels of the first game available for the second game as Legacy pack which is free to people who own the first game which is why this works.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 16:39 
Excellent Member

https://www.reddit.com/r/HiTMAN/comment ... _pack_for/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 17:11 
UltraMod

Nice, ta!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 18:07 
Bad Girl

Next month, hold onto your hats:

Modern Warfare Remastered

Oh and The *yawn* Witness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 18:12 
UltraMod

Oh nice, that could tempt me back into PS4 gaming. I was never going to buy it for £35.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 18:32 

Satsuma wrote:
87% Metacritic, 85% positive on Steam. You might not have liked it but that doesn't make it bad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 18:44 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
87% Metacritic, 85% positive on Steam. You might not have liked it but that doesn't make it bad.

Actually it usually makes it good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 18:50 
UltraMod

krazywookie wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

Actually it usuallyalways makes it good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 18:58 
Bad Girl

I never said The Witness was a bad game. I just found it boring.

I’m sure if you like puzzle games or being a boring cunt you’ll enjoy this puzzle game. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 19:01 
UltraMod

Tbf Ian’s wrongitude only tends to cover TV and movies. He’s generally got good taste when it comes to games.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 19:36 
Sleepyhead

Lonewolves wrote:
Oh nice, that could tempt me back into PS4 gaming. I was never going to buy it for £35.

Granny's House! Team Kangaroo! Hiding in the swimming pool!

Reply to topic  [ 1501 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next